1 hour ago, Metanoios91 said:

Is the small robot in the firetruck set a reference to an older theme?

You mean the little robot that looks like the screen on legs? It does very much resemble Tee Vee from Alpha Team, a theme that ran from the early to mid 2000s. Wether or not it’s actually him remains to be seen, but it is definitely a welcome and adorable inclusion regardless. 

18 hours ago, obsidianheart said:

I feel awkward for recently designing and building an updated Tee Vee that is way more complicated and way less elegant than this solution.

I'd done similar a couple years back. I'd chalk it up to not designing custom decorations for it and not taking into account how much more of a difference they'd make in making the design stand out compared to a more complex brick-built solution.

Does anyone know how well the HD sales are?

This theme doesn't appeal to me as it did last year with it's first wave but even so it's an action theme that doesn't follow the tiresome Ninjago formula so I'm hoping that HD sells well enough to make Lego understand that not only Ninjago lookalikes can be successful.

6 hours ago, LOTR34 said:

Does anyone know how well the HD sales are?

This theme doesn't appeal to me as it did last year with it's first wave but even so it's an action theme that doesn't follow the tiresome Ninjago formula so I'm hoping that HD sells well enough to make Lego understand that not only Ninjago lookalikes can be successful.

Nobody knows specifics and they're unlikely to at this stage. I will say that as somebody who has enjoyed every wave of the theme greatly, I'm not seeing substantial discounts on even the debut wave yet, which would usually indicate that sales haven't had any sort of substantial dip yet. We'll see if that changes when the summer sets release.

On 5/18/2020 at 12:38 AM, Lyichir said:

Nobody knows specifics and they're unlikely to at this stage. I will say that as somebody who has enjoyed every wave of the theme greatly, I'm not seeing substantial discounts on even the debut wave yet, which would usually indicate that sales haven't had any sort of substantial dip yet. We'll see if that changes when the summer sets release.

Big difference here, seeing the wave 1 sets for 25-40% off for a while now, wave 2 around 20-30% off. (online shops)

Of course we still won't know the actual sales worldwide based on discounts.

City, Ninjago and Creator 3-in-1 have 20-30% off regularly here.

Over 40% off is rare , but many LEGO MOVIE 2 sets were available for 50% off.

Edited by TeriXeri

3 hours ago, Guyon2002 said:

Idk if anyone already noticed but there's a sticker of Tahu's mask on the right side of the firetruck

I'm really happy that the designers sometimes think about us and trow in random references for us to enjoy...:laugh: It's really cool to see a Bionicle reference here, like they they did for the Paranormal Intercept Bus. 

2 hours ago, Ragana9289 said:

And what version ?

The classic 2001 version! Fits with the other Hidden Side easter eggs being justified by J.B. being in her mid 20s and having been a fan of those sorts of 90s and 00s themes.

14 hours ago, UberCorp said:

At least LEGO hasn’t totally forgotten about us Bionicle fans :laugh:

Those Bionicle references were put in there by Toothdominoes (the designer of the set), which is a Bionicle fan himself. If it weren't for him, we probably wouldn't be seeing any references like that in LEGO sets whatsoever. 

While LEGO may have forgotten about us, at least we still have a few designers that care about us. 

Edited by Lego David

14 minutes ago, Lego David said:

Those Bionicle references were put in there by Toothdominoes (the designer of the set), which is a Bionicle fan himself. If it weren't for him, we probably wouldn't be seeing any references like that in LEGO sets whatsoever. 

While LEGO may have forgotten about us, at least we still have a few designers that care about us. 

Is he the same designer who designed the school bus?Because there is a Bionicle reference in that set as well.

2 hours ago, LOTR34 said:

Is he the same designer who designed the school bus?Because there is a Bionicle reference in that set as well.

Yes, it's the same designer.

Good interview that, I found this bit particularly interesting (even if I completely disagree with the designer’s opinion)...

“Speaking of colors, very late in the process we shortly considered dark red. I know it's weird, but I am happy we didn't. The design language for Hidden Side is something I am very involved in and keeping the good guy vehicles in bright colors is important in tying them together.“

Edited by Lucarex

19 hours ago, Lucarex said:

Good interview that, I found this bit particularly interesting (even if I completely disagree with the designer’s opinion)...

“Speaking of colors, very late in the process we shortly considered dark red. I know it's weird, but I am happy we didn't. The design language for Hidden Side is something I am very involved in and keeping the good guy vehicles in bright colors is important in tying them together.“

The dark red engine in the picture looked stunning; it’s such a shame that version didn’t come to fruition. It would have made this stand out against so many other fire trucks of the past.

Edited by legozebra

On 5/17/2020 at 6:38 PM, Lyichir said:

Some of the wave 1 sets are seeing a discount. Mainly the smaller and mid sized sets. I got the Stunt Truck, Cemetery, School Bus and Train for 20% off in Target over the past few weeks. The School and the Wave 2 sets are still MSRP. 

2 hours ago, legozebra said:

The dark red engine in the picture looked stunning; it’s such a shame that version didn’t come to fruition. It would have made this stand out against so many other fire trucks of the past.

I agree, the dark red version looks much better

The dark red is a much sharper contrast against the other bright colors of the set, so it looks a lot better than the normal red. And seeing how they used Dark Green for the Supernatural Race Car, I don't understand why they deicded to scrap the dark red on this set.

Lol, I figured this would be the most polarizing one. As I did not have enough characters to explain it in a tweet, I’ll elaborate a bit.

Nexo has its angular shapes, blues and neon oranges. Ninjago has gold, brown and the bold ninja color schemes.

Because Hidden Side is rooted in the real world, all our sets, in some state or another look like things you could find in real life. In order to tie them together as bad guy and good guy vehicles, we decided to establish a clear color decide. Muted and darker tones for the bad guy vehicles and locations. Bright and saturated colors for the good guy vehicles. Vaughn’s car is where the two meet as he is a ghost but he is also a good guy character. 

The reason the dark red truck was done up with all the stickers is because we ended up testing it with kids against the bright red one and the bright red one won by an overwhelming margin. I can throw a bunch of design theory at it, but in the end, that is all that matters. :p

2 hours ago, toothdominoes said:

Lol, I figured this would be the most polarizing one. As I did not have enough characters to explain it in a tweet, I’ll elaborate a bit.

Nexo has its angular shapes, blues and neon oranges. Ninjago has gold, brown and the bold ninja color schemes.

Because Hidden Side is rooted in the real world, all our sets, in some state or another look like things you could find in real life. In order to tie them together as bad guy and good guy vehicles, we decided to establish a clear color decide. Muted and darker tones for the bad guy vehicles and locations. Bright and saturated colors for the good guy vehicles. Vaughn’s car is where the two meet as he is a ghost but he is also a good guy character. 

The reason the dark red truck was done up with all the stickers is because we ended up testing it with kids against the bright red one and the bright red one won by an overwhelming margin. I can throw a bunch of design theory at it, but in the end, that is all that matters. :p

Thanks for giving us a deeper insight on this, appreciate it! What you’ve said makes total sense - and if bright red tested better with kids, that is all that matters for sure.