3 hours ago, Tobias_Jay said:

I believe, more specifically, retailer exclusive for in-house themes are a thing of the past. Licensed themes must still be keeping them afloat. 

There are two retailer-exclusive Friends sets this year as well. So that theory's out the window too. I don't think there's any hard and fast rule about which themes get retailer exclusive sets and which don't.

Even LEGO themselves are an exclusive retailer to some sets, and not just the large sets or special themes.

This year the City Mail Plane (€10), and City Safari Truck (€20), are only sold at LEGO themselves, at least that's the case here.

I know that's different from selling a set at a specific retailer Outside , but it still could mean it'd never get a discount on if it's just LEGO selling it themselves (or maybe at the very end of it's availability)

Edited by TeriXeri

City Mail Plane and City Safari Truck are sold at Walmart and Barnes & Noble in the USA.

52 minutes ago, Lyichir said:

There are two retailer-exclusive Friends sets this year as well. So that theory's out the window too.

With that in mind, I think the Fire Truck set being a retail exclusive isn't as unlikely as we thought. 

4 hours ago, Guyon2002 said:

I know in-house themes don't really get retail exclusives anymore but it was phrased as retail exclusives in general

That wasn’t my intention as this is a HS thread after all. Also licensed retail exclusives may still be a thing in the US but not in Europe since the demise of TRU. There are sets which are exclusive to LEGO and one other major retailer but they’re not “retail exclusives” as such.

Edited by Lucarex

11 hours ago, Lyichir said:

There are two retailer-exclusive Friends sets this year as well. So that theory's out the window too. I don't think there's any hard and fast rule about which themes get retailer exclusive sets and which don't.

Yes, looking back on what I wrote, it sounded like I had some actual evidence that retailer exclusives were a thing of the past. It was purely observational, seeing as themes like Ninjago, City, etc. haven’t had really world-wide retailer exclusive sets since Toys R Us went down. I’m not as attuned to the release schedules for many themes, so my research was indeed flawed!

If that’s the case, then the Fire Truck could indeed be a retailer exclusive. It wouldn’t be strange to have a wave of four sets plus one exclusive, I’m sure it’s happened before. However, we did have this same issue with the Ultra Dragon set from Ninjago a year and a half ago, where the pictures came in late, leading to a belief of exclusivity, but it turns out the pictures were just released later than the others. I guess we just have to play the ol’ waiting game. 

59 minutes ago, Dr.Cogg said:

The back of the fire truck box leaked on ig

Saw that and thought that hadn’t shown up before. Still not hi-res, but at least you can see the back end “transformer” mech build. Not very interesting IMO.

Also, how unstable does the tall skinny villain look?! The set is an easy pass for me.

Edited by Lucarex

Don’t know why Lego thought it was a good idea to sacrifice the whole interior for a mech:

9 minutes ago, Lucarex said:

Also, how unstable does the tall skinny villain look?! The set is an easy pass for me.

A lot of these sets are easy passes for me except the Castle and Vaughns Car

Edited by HalfBloodPrince

11 minutes ago, HalfBloodPrince said:

A lot of these sets are easy passes for me except the Castle and Vaughns Car

I’m not even fussed about the car as identical Vaughn comes in the Castle and I’ll pick up the trans-blue-wing part or knight minifig separately.

Interesting that the MF Castle came with a similar car/protagonist (Rodney Rathbone), smaller build with net shooter play feature.

I’m loving the Fire Truck, though I’m agreeing with the sentiment that the mech takes up a lot more of the back of the vehicle than I thought. However, I’m pretty sure fire trucks don’t actually have much interior on the back any way, it’s all water tanks and hoses, so I guess a mech is much more interesting. 

Im not seeing enough buzz about the apparent return of Alpha Team's Tee-Vee in this set. I love the little legs and the interchangeable faces. A beautiful boy.

On a completely seperate note, is anyone else so used to Ninjago's rules around ghosts that when they see the box art for the water based sets with ghosts, with things like Vaughn deep sea diving and wonder why the water isn’t destroying them? Or is everyone else better at separating the two totally seperate universes than I am? For some reason I can’t seperate the two in my mind!

Edited by Tobias_Jay

6 minutes ago, Tobias_Jay said:

On a completely seperate note, is anyone else so used to Ninjago's rules around ghosts that when they see the box art for the water based sets with ghosts, with things like Vaughn deep sea diving and wonder why the water isn’t destroying them? Or is everyone else better at separating the two totally seperate universes than I am? For some reason I can’t seperate the two in my mind!

Same thing here

5 hours ago, Guyon2002 said:

Stonewars just updated their article on Hidden Side with pictures of the firetruck, including this one:

LEGO Hidden Side 70436 Phantom-Feuerwehrauto 3000

Looks interesting!

10 hours ago, HalfBloodPrince said:

Don’t know why Lego thought it was a good idea to sacrifice the whole interior for a mech:

What interior? The back end of a real fire engine like this one would be devoted almost entirely to storage for equipment (accessed from the exterior), hoses, and a large water tank for putting out fires when out of range of a hydrant. I don't see how this is a worse use of space than those features.

I'm still extremely impressed with how this set goes together. I also can already spot some nice easter eggs too, like a Rocket Racer decal on one of the side compartments!

1 hour ago, Lyichir said:

What interior? The back end of a real fire engine like this one would be devoted almost entirely to storage for equipment (accessed from the exterior), hoses, and a large water tank for putting out fires when out of range of a hydrant. I don't see how this is a worse use of space than those features.

I'm still extremely impressed with how this set goes together. I also can already spot some nice easter eggs too, like a Rocket Racer decal on one of the side compartments!

Idk, i just assumed they would do a interior like The Bus

Are those trans clear book hinges on the mech? I needed those for a windscreen for my Scorpion Tracker revamp.

22 minutes ago, Takanuinuva said:

Are those trans clear book hinges on the mech? I needed those for a windscreen for my Scorpion Tracker revamp.

Looks like trans purple to me, which would make sense because this piece has already appeared in 4 sets in that color

19 minutes ago, Guyon2002 said:

Looks like trans purple to me, which would make sense because this piece has already appeared in 4 sets in that color

That is likely. But I'll have to see when the set comes out. 

9 hours ago, Guyon2002 said:

Stonewars just updated their article on Hidden Side with pictures of the firetruck, including this one:

I love that pic because it illustrates just how bizarre this theme is.

Suburban skater teen pilots a transforming/combiner firetruck/mech to fight ghosts.

That's just too weird.

I do like the Fire Truck, it does have a bit of a classic look to it, minus all the ghost hunting parts. Though my favorite set out of the entire Hidden Side line is the ghost train.

I have to say the Fire Truck is really over priced for what you get, it cost the same as the Ghost Train which had a lot more to it.

Edited by Dr.Cogg

4 hours ago, Drackiszunk said:

I liked the video previewing the Castle. Hopefully we get some official news and dates soon. 

Have to disagree. They show a fantastic set, the flagship Castle no less, for like 10 seconds plus a blink and you’ll miss it close up of a couple of minifigs and the gate/perimeter opening.

Then nothing...the remaining 80 secs just ignores the physical build and shows the kids (pre or early teen, older than usual) staring at their individual phones playing the app, which FYI LEGO, is in desperate need of a revamp and update. It’s glitchy and repetitive.

Just sums up Lego’s thoughts on the theme here, completely upside down.

4 hours ago, HalfBloodPrince said:

Idk, i just assumed they would do a interior like The Bus

Ultimately I'm not sure it needs any more of one, to be honest. The only interior features the bus had that this lacks are the microscope and bed. This one still has a fairly roomy cab with two seats and a desk with a computer in the back, much like the bus had, and the mech/turret portion has two more seats—adding up to enough space to fit the original ghost-hunting crew plus one, if you wanted.