35 minutes ago, Lego David said:

So yeah, the overall aesthetic of MF is a lot more appealing to me than HS.

That's really all it is though. It's a matter of personal preference. Other than the Haunted House and the castle, I've no use for the builds in the rest of the line. They range from pitifully basic throwaway pap to full on eyesores.

HS has a certain charm to it that has me snapping up each and every set. Outside of the current S@H dragster promo set, I've yef to be disappointed with a set in the theme.

One man's trash and all that. /shrug.

Just now, Falconfan1414 said:

It’s a Big Bang so it will follow the patterns of themes like ninjago chima and nexo knights

Wasn't Ninjago supposed to end after 3 years?And both Chima and NK ended after their 3 year run.If the upcoming wave for HS is the final one then the whole theme will only last for about a year.So I don't see how it follows the same pattern as the other themes.

2 hours ago, kelceycoe said:

Ahem... excuse me but when did MF ever release a second wave? If by that you mean the Haunted House that's a long stretch. That single theme will CLEARLY outlast this joker "three waves within one year" theme.

Hate to say it... but I told you all so.

The only way AR works is if ALL the basic pieces are there, at least, to build and play with the set independent of the AR.

We knew AR worked well before HS... Pokemon Go proved that. HS doesn't win any accolades for contributing to AR... if anything it gets swept under a rug, forgotten about, and a theme that sells poorly in the secondary market that no one wants except for the sake of feeling important and being a completeness (aka Galidor).

It's not "three waves within one year", for the record. The third wave will be debuting approximately a full year after the first wave, so the full lifespan of the theme will be about one and a half years if the theme ends there (and remember, that's still just speculation)

And just because you didn't like the theme doesn't mean you had or have any great insight into its performance. A year and a half isn't too bad for a theme (it's much more than the single wave Monster Fighters got) and I expect that even when Hidden Side ends it will pave the way for future AR experiments, just as much more rudimentary themes like Fusion paved the way for Hidden Side. Despite your naysaying getting AR to be able to detect and work with Lego is no easy feat, and Lego's experience here has the potential to impact other themes dramatically.

22 minutes ago, LOTR34 said:

Wasn't Ninjago supposed to end after 3 years?And both Chima and NK ended after their 3 year run.If the upcoming wave for HS is the final one then the whole theme will only last for about a year.So I don't see how it follows the same pattern as the other themes.

Hidden side is not supposed to end yet

Just now, Falconfan1414 said:

Unless your implying that the upcoming wave is not the last one I don't see how it answers my previous question.

Just now, LOTR34 said:

Unless your implying that the upcoming wave is not the last one I don't see how it answers my previous question.

The next wave is not the last hidden side wave 

36 minutes ago, Falconfan1414 said:

Is that so? Sweet! I just hope the next couple of waves will be improvements. The current fare isn’t bad and I’ve already bought three of the sets from this wave and quite liked them (the Subway in particular is surprisingly satisfying with the train car that eats people) but I’d still like to see some improvements. Particularly in the protagonist minifigure area.

Anyone else think we’ll see a repeat of ‘ghost Jack’ in the abandoned prison set?

47 minutes ago, Falconfan1414 said:

The next wave is not the last hidden side wave 

Hmmm. Any more detail however sketchy? 

Ohhh so the theme is doing well

Great to hear!

I wonder how they will continue the theme, because it might get old really fast

16 minutes ago, Robert8 said:

You could say that about every theme! Ninjago just one example.

As always €€€€ talks, so if this is true, maybe there was a big upswing in sales over the holiday period (both waves). The launch wasn't great by all accounts.

26 minutes ago, Robert8 said:

How could it ever get old? More of the same would be absolutely perfect! Keep churning out run down town locations until all of Newbury is represented, and I'll be happy. Just imagine if it got to the point where we're getting random houses and water towers?! Maybe a haunted old barn? There's really no end to the sets they could produce just sticking with the "anywhere USA" æsthetic, and it would never, ever be enough.

4 hours ago, Falconfan1414 said:

Source ? It appears we have two different people with two different pieces of "insider information" or are just speculating...

11 minutes ago, kelceycoe said:

Source ? It appears we have two different people with two different pieces of "insider information" or are just speculating...

Who said it was supposed to end? 

10 minutes ago, Falconfan1414 said:

Who said it was supposed to end? 

It was LOTR34 but I see it was likely as speculative as everything else about HS' future. I did recall from the one magazine that came out last year HS planned for a second theme, which clearly was way rushed.

4 hours ago, klinton said:

How could it ever get old? More of the same would be absolutely perfect! Keep churning out run down town locations until all of Newbury is represented, and I'll be happy. Just imagine if it got to the point where we're getting random houses and water towers?! Maybe a haunted old barn? There's really no end to the sets they could produce just sticking with the "anywhere USA" æsthetic, and it would never, ever be enough.

I know you’re being sarcastic but as a city builder who looks at every set LEGO makes and asks “How can I make this part of New Babylon?” (my layout, I’m a Mesopotamia buff) that actually would make me really happy. And I mean it’d be a huge improvement over the assortment of random useless vehicles from CITY - at least Hidden Side does buildings

As is, the High School has pride of place, converted into Tony Stark and family’s retirement mansion, I’ve integrated the Haunted Fairground into my amusement part, the Shrimp Boat is a gorgeous addition to my docks and the Diner looks great on the edge of town. And I could literally put the Juice Bar anywhere and it would only make my city look better. I’m working on an underground black market/biker gang hideout and the Subway is going to be a great thing to integrate, and I have space reserved for the Lighthouse. I honestly can’t wait to see the summer sets.

Hidden Side is a great theme, and not every set is a winner but enough of them are that I hope it continues for a good long while. 

25 minutes ago, Feng-huang0296 said:

I know you’re being sarcastic...

I wasn't being even remotely sarcastic, actually. I freaking love the HS æsthetic! I've never really been one to build a Lego city, but I'll eagerly snap up literally anything the HS team puts out in an effort to flesh out Newbury. I full on adore the small town charm of the line mixed with the horror and sci-fi elements. I can't get enough of it! I would actually kill for a small town style water tower, decked out with haunting features and/or some of JB's tech.

I'm less keen on some of the smaller vignette style builds, like the lab and the subway station... but even they are gorgeous for what they are. I just have no idea how to situate them with the more robust builds without some serious MOCing. The school, the diner, the lighthouse, the train and station, the graveyard, the fairground, the portal, the juice bar... I love them all! Like, that was what drew me into the theme: the buildings and landmarks. The vehicles have all been exceptional as well, (baring the questionable promo drag racer design). Even the little side builds, like the portaloo, motor trike, go kart, and even the coastal rocks have been stand outs! That's just the builds. The characters have all been phenomenal! Every set comes with interesting new townies and thier ghoulish transformations.

This side of the Lego Movie themes there has never been a theme that I adore as much as this one. I will absolutely buy anything and everything they release, eagerly adding new landmarks and citizens to Newbury.

On 2/1/2020 at 10:43 AM, danth said:

You know what I liked the least about Hidden Side? The obnoxious looking protagonists. They looked like bratty spoiled suburbanite punks with names to match. Parker? Seriously? Where's Mackenzie and Hunter? :laugh:

Also they look totally out of place with the more old-timey background characters.

How are the background characters old timey? You could argue the waitress in the Shrimp Shack is out of the 50’s, but you could also argue she’s simply in an old diner whose owner never updated the uniform. I think the kids are great. They gave us those hairpieces for Jack & Parker(both waves).

On 2/1/2020 at 12:45 PM, LOTR34 said:

Yea I have high hopes for the castle as well.

Regarding the potential of the theme,I don't know what else Lego could do with it.The town of Newbury is a small one,so I can't imagine how many more haunted locations there could be.

And I agree with @danth about the protagonists.I want my protagonists in any action theme to be tough as nails yet here we have a bunch of hip kids zapping ghosts with their phones.

They’re as tough as you want them to be though, yeah? They’re teenagers, so of course they have smart phones. As someone who abhors seeing smart phones in everyone’s faces at all times....I don’t mind them here. Plus, the app thing ties in as well. 

2 hours ago, klinton said:

I'm less keen on some of the smaller vignette style builds, like the lab and the subway station... but even they are gorgeous for what they are. I just have no idea how to situate them with the more robust builds without some serious MOCing. The school, the diner, the lighthouse, the train and station, the graveyard, the fairground, the portal, the juice bar... I love them all! Like, that was what drew me into the theme: the buildings and landmarks. The vehicles have all been exceptional as well, (baring the questionable promo drag racer design). Even the little side builds, like the portaloo, motor trike, go kart, and even the coastal rocks have been stand outs! That's just the builds. The characters have all been phenomenal! Every set comes with interesting new townies and thier ghoulish transformations.

I agree. I never did get the lab set, it just wasn’t interesting to me. I love all the townsfolk we’re getting in this theme. I have the Shrimp Boat & Shack, Bus, Cemetery, Buggy, & Drag car...all have great looking minifigs that are nice improvements over their City theme counterparts. The second wave took longer for me, but it’s really grown on me the more I look at it. 

7 hours ago, kelceycoe said:

It was LOTR34 but I see it was likely as speculative as everything else about HS' future. I did recall from the one magazine that came out last year HS planned for a second theme, which clearly was way rushed.

I was only speculating and nothing more.

In the new hidden side magazin they are on an old fortress. With Ghost soliders fighting pirates. Maybe thats the castle of mystery? ?

4 hours ago, TurboTj-DK said:

In the new hidden side magazin they are on an old fortress. With Ghost soliders fighting pirates. Maybe thats the castle of mystery? ?

Do you have a image of it?

Some more info from Stonewars:

JB's submarine - small submarine, small piece of land and a shark - 3 figures

Racing car - car is darkgreen - 3/4 figures

Abandoned prison - 4/5 figures

Ghost Firetruck 3000 - 4 figures

Castle - similair to the castle from MF - 4/5 figures

(rumor) The Fire Truck has like a black slenderman mech. I'm excited to see the way these turn out. Really hope this isn't the last wave. I would love to see more 'Into the Hidden Side' integrated sets like the portal one.