Oh no, I’m not saying anybody stole ideas from anyone else. I’m just reflecting more on the concurrent Zeitgeist. I find it interesting that Lego is thinking in the same direction as the new Ghostbusters team. Not to mention Stranger Things, etc. 

I actually think there might be a greater chance that Ghostbusters Afterlife kills off Hidden Side in much the same way PotC impacted Classic Pirates. What are the odds that Lego doesn’t license Ghostbusters? 

1 hour ago, Faefrost said:

Oh no, I’m not saying anybody stole ideas from anyone else. I’m just reflecting more on the concurrent Zeitgeist. I find it interesting that Lego is thinking in the same direction as the new Ghostbusters team. Not to mention Stranger Things, etc. 

I actually think there might be a greater chance that Ghostbusters Afterlife kills off Hidden Side in much the same way PotC impacted Classic Pirates. What are the odds that Lego doesn’t license Ghostbusters? 

Or Star Wars with Space . .

Well, before now it’s all been Ideas, D2Cs and Dimensions, and Dimensions is obviously meaningless compared to main product lines (still waiting for Portal II sets, hint hint).

I kinda can’t see us getting a full product line for Afterlife. Maybe one set, a la Stranger Things? Though it might be too early to say they’ll never make a follow up set to Byers House.

6 hours ago, Faefrost said:

I may be misunderstanding what you’re saying here, but LEGO does have the license for Ghostbusters, but only seem to release anything when there’s a new movie out. I believe there is a set tie-in for the new film rumoured but don’t hold me to that. With that in mind, I can’t see a line of Ghostbusters sets eclipsing Hidden Side with a full range of sets, unless they decide to pull a Jurassic Park and take the license onboard to start a series of sets that are inspired by in-house ideas rather than the films. But with Hidden Side being seemingly quite popular, I can’t see that happening just yet. 

Edited by Tobias_Jay

7 hours ago, Faefrost said:

I actually think there might be a greater chance that Ghostbusters Afterlife kills off Hidden Side in much the same way PotC impacted Classic Pirates. 

We will most likely get one or two D2C sets, like we had for Ghostbusters 2016, but I doubt we will get a full line of sets. If it were a full line, we would probably have known about it already. Though having both Stranger Things and Ghostbusters on shelfs at the same time (even if it's just D2C sets) could very easily kill off Hidden Side...

7 hours ago, Faefrost said:

What are the odds that Lego doesn’t license Ghostbusters? 

From what I know, Playmobil currently holds the license... So there is still a chance that it won't happen.

Edited by Lego David

2 hours ago, Lego David said:

If it were a full line, we would probably have known about it already. 

Not necessarily, you'd be suprised how many sets stay under the radar untill their reveal

From what I know, Playmobil currently holds the license... So there is still a chance that it won't happen.

They don't have exclusive rights though, otherwise lego couldn't have released the Ghostbusters BrickHeadz

Well, at least Brick Fanatics say it's happening...

On 12/10/2019 at 5:35 AM, Digger of Bricks said:

Brick Fanatics - LEGO Ghostbusters Rumoured to Return in 2020

Brick Fanatics has received word that the LEGO Group may be releasing a Ghostbusters theme to tie in with next year’s film.

Brick Fanatics understands that the LEGO Group will be releasing a Ghostbusters 2020 theme featuring sets inspired by the new movie. It would not be an entirely new property for the company, as three sets have been released based on Ghostbusters since 2014– 21108 Ghostbusters Ecto-1, 75827 Firehouse Headquarters and 75828 Ecto 1 & 2. Given how little is known about the new film’s plot, there is little to speculate on when it comes to what the new models will be.

All of this information should be treated as rumour until there is an official announcement from the LEGO Group.

8 minutes ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Well, at least Brick Fanatics say it's happening...

Oh great... If that is the case, than Hidden Side will probably be gone within a year...

Edited by Lego David

8 minutes ago, Lego David said:

Oh great... If that is the case, than Hidden Side will probably be gone within a year...

One thing has nothing to do with the other. HS will be gone regardless, probably after wave 3 next summer/autumn.

Edited by Lucarex

4 minutes ago, Lego David said:

Though they say sets, we could just end-up seeing another ECTO-1 as its only tie-in set (much like the 2016 reboot). :shrug_confused:

I don't know if it has been mentioned yet but Brickset updated the pages for the new HS sets with more pictures. The subway station looks a thousand times better in its 'normal form' and the lighthouse interior is really cramped but some of the furniture builds are quite nice

I would also be skeptical of Ghostbusters replacing Hidden Side unless Hidden Side was already on track to conclude this year. Like others have mentioned, Lego's engagement with the Ghostbusters brand has been much more low-key than other licenses, and in the absence of a sequel to the upcoming movie or some other plans to broaden the franchise and make its media more continuous (such as a spin-off TV show), I wouldn't necessarily expect the licensing for the new movie to have legs beyond the year of its release. If Stranger Things itself didn't kill off Hidden Side in its debut year, then I wouldn't expect Ghostbusters to, especially considering that while the genre of Hidden Side is similar to both licenses, the app tech is one of its key features and a big part of its reason for being, and is something that might not fit in as well with a more limiting external license.

That said, there is the chance that Hidden Side and the new Ghostbusters could cross-pollinate, for lack of a better word, with "ghostly" parts from Hidden Side making there way into the licensed Ghostbusters sets (much like how the Ninjago: Possession ghost trails and "Skreemers" found their way into the earlier Ghostbusters sets), or possibly even vice-versa. Some of the parts in the upcoming year's sets like the ectoplasmic pre-pack or the weird torso extender piece could possibly find themselves recolored and used in Ghostbusters in much the same way. And if the Ghostbusters sets introduce any suitable parts that aren't IP-locked, those could in turn find themselves used in Hidden Side.

5 hours ago, Guyon2002 said:

I don't know if it has been mentioned yet but Brickset updated the pages for the new HS sets with more pictures. The subway station looks a thousand times better in its 'normal form' and the lighthouse interior is really cramped but some of the furniture builds are quite nice

I did see that! Unfortunately, most of the alternate pics are focused less on offering alternate angles of the sets and more on things like the art on the front of the box, and lifestyle photos of the use of the app or the building of the set. We do get some pics that show the back of the lighthouse, the back of the subway, and slightly more of the ticket booth in the Ghost Fair, as well as a better look at some of those sets "untransformed", but I'm still left wanting for some alternate angles on the beach buggy or the plane, which could possibly be one of my favorite sets of the bunch. For that matter, the pic of the back of the lighthouse doesn't quite show off the full contents of the cave underneath. I think I might see what could be the base of a melted down candle on a table? But it's hard to say for sure.

Edited by Lyichir

From what I've heard, Hidden Side is treated as something outside of the three-year cycle. I recall a designer mentioning it, but I don't recall which. They said the theme will last as long as there's interest.

I also would take whatever BrickFanatics says with a pinch of salt, regarding GhostBusters. I wouldn't be surprised if something gets developed, but we'll just have to wait and see.

Why don't we discuss the theme instead of speculating it's death while its certainly still around.

9 minutes ago, PenPlays said:

Why don't we discuss the theme instead of speculating it's death while its certainly still around.

Agree. And on that score, noticed there’s only 4 unknown (Wave 3) sets with refs. 70433/4/5/6 listed by Brickset. I hope less is more and we get 4 excellent sets instead of the usual 5 or 6 where most are ok to mediocre.

Edited by Lucarex

15 hours ago, Lucarex said:

Agree. And on that score, noticed there’s only 4 unknown (Wave 3) sets with refs. 70433/4/5/6 listed by Brickset. I hope less is more and we get 4 excellent sets instead of the usual 5 or 6 where most are ok to mediocre.

Less certainly tended to be more with the Elves theme, which often had a similarly small summer wave that was nonetheless packed with quality! The summer wave of a theme that gets two waves in a year tends to be weighted more toward larger sets than the winter wave was, which should hopefully mean at least one more set on the scale of this year's school and possibly two other mid-to-large sets as well.

Knowing so little about the second year's story it's hard to speculate about what might be included. I would not be surprised to see at least one of the additional sets focusing on the Hidden Side itself like the Portal set, hopefully featuring an equivalent version of Parker to the faint, bluish version of Jack from the first half of the year.

On 12/10/2019 at 7:41 AM, Lego David said:
On 12/10/2019 at 5:49 AM, Digger of Bricks said:

This is somewhat of pertinence here, so...

Brick Fanatics - “More and More” LEGO Augmented reality Products on the Way

The head of the LEGO Creative Play lab says that more augmented reality infused LEGO products will be released on the years ahead in a new interview.

LEGO Hidden Side, recently revealed to be back in 2020 with a new multiplayer mode, will not be the last augmented reality (AR) experience. “I’ve worked on projects that have tried to fuse digital with physical. Video games with building was one project; we do a lot with AR, mixed reality, we do a lot of stuff in computer vision and all kinds of things. I think we’ll see more and more of it coming out in the next few years.”

I think this pretty much confirms that Hidden Side did well in terms of sales. If it wouldn't have done well, then they probably wouldn't have decided to keep the augmented reality thing going.

So, apparently @Falconfan1414 had this to share over on Instagram...

From what I have seen the first wave of Hidden Side sets sold very poorly.
A local toy store has discounted all Hidden Side sets at 50% because they have hardly sold any sets from this wave this year. It doesn’t seem that enough kids actually know or have any interest in what Hidden Side is... :shrug_confused:

7 hours ago, Foxes Productionz said:

A local toy store has discounted all Hidden Side sets at 50% because they have hardly sold any sets from this wave this year. It doesn’t seem that enough kids actually know or have any interest in what Hidden Side is... :shrug_confused:

I think this is more of a regional thing. I see a lot of people saying that Hidden Side is heavily discounted, but in my area, I would be very lucky to find it for more than 30% off. I don't know about specific areas, but I think it's safe to say that it sold decently on a global level, especially with the 2nd and 3rd waves coming soon.

11 hours ago, Foxes Productionz said:

I think it mostly has to do in what kids are interested in. Especially with the big franchises today (Marvel, Star Wars and others) it wouldn't surprise me if kids prefer getting a mech for Iron-Man over a weird looking schoolbus (for example ofc)

4 hours ago, Lego David said:

especially with the 2nd and 3rd waves coming soon.

Sets are made a year (or more) before release so HS getting a 2nd and 3th wave doesn't really say much about how it's selling

10 hours ago, Chiaroscuro said:

Classic themes with AR? Could Leaf be a Pirate theme with AR?

Looks like it could be even more than that... :wink:

1 hour ago, Itaria No Shintaku said:

As strange as it may be, rumours are all together pointing to leaf being castle, pirates (and maybe more), and AR.

4 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Looks like it could be even more than that... :wink:

That would be awesome! Provided it’s actual sets, not something like those weird 2D AR kits from a few years ago. 

5 hours ago, Guyon2002 said:

Sets are made a year (or more) before release so HS getting a 2nd and 3th wave doesn't really say much about how it's selling

Well yes, but even so, if the theme doesn't sell well they usually cancel the other waves, even if the sets were ready for release.

Well, the latest webisode of Hidden Side sheds a new light on the upcoming sets.

Spoiler

That’s right. El Fuego sacrificed his life to stop Lady E, and going forward he’s going to be a ghost possessing a science classroom skeleton. Which is kind of awesome.

1 hour ago, Feng-huang0296 said:

That would be awesome! Provided it’s actual sets, not something like those weird 2D AR kits from a few years ago. 

Don't jinx it.

7 hours ago, Feng-huang0296 said:

Maybe it's nothing, but Itaria also had this to share regarding a theory pertaining to the line... :shrug_oh_well:

9 hours ago, Itaria No Shintaku said:
On 12/16/2019 at 9:10 AM, Digger of Bricks said:

I just had something of a random thought: What if the "Leaf" theme is time-travel centric, hence acting as a means to inject Pirates into its premise? After all, I find it curious that @Falconfan1414 hashtagged his IG post pertaining to "Leaf" with both #legopirates and #legocastle... :oh:

I'd say more a "theme-travel" (pun intended) like as if you get these characters travelling throughout the various LEGO universes.
Or something that may also please AFOLS, like LE(go for)AF(ol).
Lol, just wishful thinking.