3 hours ago, Lego David said:

When will this new wave of Hidden Side get released? In January or earlier?

December 27

Edited by Lucarex

On 11/16/2019 at 4:34 PM, Classic_Spaceman said:

Lloyd’s avatar, since we have already seen that. It is, most likely, from the City “Turbo Wheels” subtheme. 

When did this become a Ninjago thread

3 hours ago, Ninjaguy99 said:

When did this become a Ninjago thread

This is in the context of the discussion of a leaked torso that was initially suspected to be from HS: 

On 11/16/2019 at 1:45 AM, Classic_Spaceman said:

From the City 2020 thread: 

BTW, I have quoted all posts related to this torso into the City 2020 thread, so that the discussion can continue there and not derail this thread. 

On 11/16/2019 at 7:01 AM, Digger of Bricks said:

As likely as I find that theory, it's still not a certainty though, as Ninjago might be a candidate for such too. 

On 11/16/2019 at 5:34 PM, Classic_Spaceman said:

If the torso were from Ninjago, it would have some kind of digital elements to its design (VR/MoCap gear, pixelation, TRON-style lines, etc), but it does not. Additionally, it cannot be from Lloyd’s avatar, since we have already seen that. It is, most likely, from the City “Turbo Wheels” subtheme. 

On 11/16/2019 at 7:42 PM, Digger of Bricks said:

That is, unless it belongs to a non-avatar variant/character of some sort. :shrug_confused:

Pffft, I don't know, perhaps @Falconfan1414 could sort this out? :def_shrug:

9 hours ago, MAB said:

Where is the location of Newbury defined? I thought it was just some town, somewhere.

No where in the south are there subways. It's just a fake town that you can picture being 'anywhere USA' and if you are from another country almost anywhere there too. :)

Gotta say, I think this wave could be a bit stronger. As others have said it oddly has a different aesthetic than the first wave, and even Jack and Parker have regressed into the 90's for some reason. My favorite set amongst these is the Portal because it is the first set in the line to include actual ghosts instead of possessed civilians. The others are a bit muddled, such as the subway station. which looks more like a sewer, and the Ghost Fair, which has a strong concept but was likely limited by its preset price point. I think they could have made a much better version if it were priced at $80, and that doesn't seem unreasonable give that it's the flagship set of this wave.

HS probably has one more wave consisting of the remaining four set numbers before it kicks the bucket, but I hope it goes out with a bang. It's one of Lego's better non-licensed offerings in the past decade, although the competition has been practically nonexistent. 

16 hours ago, MAB said:

Where is the location of Newbury defined? I thought it was just some town, somewhere.

7 hours ago, Maple said:

No where in the south are there subways. It's just a fake town that you can picture being 'anywhere USA' and if you are from another country almost anywhere there too. :)

It's confirmed as being in the "Deep South" in the first issue of the comic. Louisiana seems the main inspiration. But it is of course a fictional city though, taking a lot of creative license. My original post was in reply to a comment saying Newbury was set in Florida. 

It's fictional, I wouldn't worry too much about it and just enjoy the sets.

On 11/15/2019 at 9:28 AM, Lucarex said:

Nope, still can’t see how Portal and Subway connect to each other.

Think that’s just creative wishful thinking based on a tiny bit of azure foliage.

Guess the reverse box art (today?) will confirm either way. 

So, we can now see the back of the Subway set, which should put those blue foliage rumours/suggestions of it connecting to the Portal set to bed. 

(click on image)

20_6a40cd69-352e-4e7a-97f1-38de645ff2c8.

Edited by Lucarex
embed image

The portal connection may still continue, notice that the two open stud on the back are curved cutout (35044) and so there may or may not be 4 open stud connection with those tiles inside the portal door.

49 minutes ago, toothdominoes said:

The sets fit together. We didn't rigidly connect the sets to each other because that would come with a lot of implications for both models.  

So, you can just place them back to back? Meh. I still can't see how Jack can move through the portal (the whole idea right?) as either the train or the raising mechanism completely blocks the tunnel. Or does the lowered train carriage end have a working door that represents the other side of the portal ? Or am I completely missing the point about "fitting together"? Thematically/story wise sure, but not really in terms of physical connection or play features.

Edited by Lucarex

1 hour ago, Lucarex said:

So, you can just place them back to back? Meh. I still can't see how Jack can move through the portal (the whole idea right?) as either the train or the raising mechanism completely blocks the tunnel. Or does the lowered train carriage end have a working door that represents the other side of the portal ? Or am I completely missing the point about "fitting together"? Thematically/story wise sure, but not really in terms of physical connection or play features.

That’s exactly why they don’t connect together. Things get quite fiddly when trying to fit a figure all the way through. We imagined it was like opening up a house, you take them apart to play inside. I like you said it’s there for thematic and story reasons. 

49 minutes ago, toothdominoes said:

That’s exactly why they don’t connect together. Things get quite fiddly when trying to fit a figure all the way through. We imagined it was like opening up a house, you take them apart to play inside. I like you said it’s there for thematic and story reasons. 

So wait, are you the set designer? I’d imagine it would be fiddly. (Personally, as long as you can see the literal light at the end of the tunnel and that, in theory, if a minifigure were to spring to life and walk on its own it would be able to get through, then I’m satisfied.)

But, say if you put them both on a baseplate (with a layer of plates and tiles to support the parts attached diagonally) they’d fit together like jigsaw puzzle pieces? Because that would be sweet and way simplify my plans to use them to build on my layout.

Edited by Feng-huang0296

Have we seen the entire wave? Strange that it's really dialed back in terms of size, price, and (for some of them) builds compared to wave 1. Would have at least expected one more large set, not just a $50-60 set as the flagship of the lineup.

On ‎11‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 2:30 PM, tafkatb said:

I quite like the Ghost Fair, but I can see how others are disappointed with it - it kind of undersells a concept with a lot of potential. I feel like a haunted fairground could be the basis for a whole subtheme, or even a D2C if Hidden Side were ever to get to that point. Still very nice for what we get, though, and it could even be worked in with "normal" fairground sets if you think of the spooky elements as intentional theming.

with some imagination that could be turned into a jokerland set

On ‎11‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 11:20 AM, Guyon2002 said:

Thank god for that, I really disliked the transformative features in the current wave (and the abundance of stickers used in the school)

what I think there great and fun it shows just shows how miserable some adult fans are

im saying it here I think the LEGO Friends ocean rescue lighthouse is a better set than the hidden side one

4 hours ago, TheGlynreaper said:

what I think there great and fun it shows just shows how miserable some adult fans are

So just because I have an opinion that differs from yours I'm a ''miserable fan''? Right........

23 minutes ago, Guyon2002 said:

So just because I have an opinion that differs from yours I'm a ''miserable fan''? Right........

My friend, welcome to the internet. {grumbles} At least you don’t have to put up with Romancer over on the trading card forums. Some people just get their kicks from throwing insults that can’t be traced back to them. Personally, I like a lot of these sets and will probably get most of them. (Sans the admittedly awful beach buggy.) People disagree with me, doesn’t mean I’m going to belittle them. 

jeesh its a joke stop being so uptight but I still stand that playability features are the best things in lego sets but I have noticed myself that the whole transforming possessed thing has gone but the 2nd wave why do I get the strangest feeling they toned it down because some numpty thought it was a bit too scary for children

23 hours ago, toothdominoes said:

They physically fit next to each other. they are both built in a shallow V shape.

Thanks for clarifying!

We can always MOD the sets a bit for back to back connection. 

On 11/20/2019 at 11:36 AM, Feng-huang0296 said:

So wait, are you the set designer?

He is set designer, that's a fact. Many sets are designed by more than one person. I'd say there is a chance that he's involved, at least. :wink: 

On 11/19/2019 at 6:30 PM, Lucarex said:

So, we can now see the back of the Subway set, which should put those blue foliage rumours/suggestions of it connecting to the Portal set to bed. 

(click on image)

20_6a40cd69-352e-4e7a-97f1-38de645ff2c8.

Wow! Do you have the source of this image? I ask because not only does it give another view on the set, but also features the de-possessed version of the fig from that set. If there are pics like this for the other sets it could give us a lot more insight into their contents!

I still cannot understand why the subway train a) is just a small fragment of a train (where's the fun in that?), b) looks like some sort of old timer train (the brown colour scheme)

It just feels like so many missed chances to be a great set :-(