I quite like the Ghost Fair, but I can see how others are disappointed with it - it kind of undersells a concept with a lot of potential. I feel like a haunted fairground could be the basis for a whole subtheme, or even a D2C if Hidden Side were ever to get to that point. Still very nice for what we get, though, and it could even be worked in with "normal" fairground sets if you think of the spooky elements as intentional theming.

2 hours ago, Fifulin said:

So, I absolutely love the new parts for the minifigs. Both Parker and Jack get new hairpieces and all three main heroes, including JB, get new faces? Let's compare this to Chima and Nexo Knights, where the main characters barely ever got new facial expressions. That's what leads me to believing this theme won't end so soon.

A LEGO designer (I don't know exactly who) confirmed that Hidden Side won't be a "Big Bang" theme, and unless it proves to be incredibly popular (which so far doesn't seem to be the case) I don't see it getting passed the 4th or 5th wave at best.

4 hours ago, Lego David said:

A LEGO designer (I don't know exactly who) confirmed that Hidden Side won't be a "Big Bang" theme, and unless it proves to be incredibly popular (which so far doesn't seem to be the case) I don't see it getting passed the 4th or 5th wave at best.

Sadly I think even that’s optimistic. Unless they seriously improve the app, release a tv series or some specials really building out the story (alongside the newly launched magazine), and most importantly, step up with wave 3 sets really utilising the transformative play features, I think this theme will be done after next summer. Which will be a massive shame.

Out of interest, I see this has a release date of August 2020 *huh*

Guide to Ghost Hunting with Minifigure (Lego Hidden Side)

You’d have thought it’d have been ready for August 2019 launch or by now at least. Recall that was the case with the Nexo BOM guide.

Edited by Lucarex
fix link

11 hours ago, Classic_Spaceman said:

I am wondering - What if these sets were designed first, while the sets in Wave 1 were actually designed later (once the designers had a better understanding of the theme)? This has happened in the past (Café Corner was not the first Modular that was designed, but it was released first due to its lack of an interior), and it would explain why the detailing has gone down and the theme feels directionless overall. 
Looking at a hypothetical progression from Wave 2 to Wave 1, the direction of the sets becomes more focused, the Gloomed transformations become more elaborate and detailed, the app-connection bricks are better integrated into the builds, and the town of Newbury becomes more well-defined. This might also explain why the largest set (High School) was released in the first, rather than second, wave. 
Perhaps LEGO felt that the Wave 1 sets would be a better introduction to the theme, and that the Wave 2 sets could ride on the existing popularity of the line. 

This actually might be true. The sets in wave one had details that made them look older. Cracks, rust, and even architectural ware was everywhere on the sets. They looked realistic, like a forgotten city past its prime. Wave 2's sets look more modern and clean, with many of the details that made wave 1 special absent. Most of the vehicles feel less realistic, and a lot of the gloombee  prints seem more specialized (the clown faces, goggled jet packer, and oil - drenched mechanic.) The only set that fully fits in is the subway station. While cluttered, it seems like an unreleased set from wave one. Someone wanted to use this style on more sets, and wave 1 was created.        

10 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

As likely as I find that theory, it's still not a certainty though, as Ninjago might be a candidate for such too. 

If the torso were from Ninjago, it would have some kind of digital elements to its design (VR/MoCap gear, pixelation, TRON-style lines, etc), but it does not. Additionally, it cannot be from Lloyd’s avatar, since we have already seen that. It is, most likely, from the City “Turbo Wheels” subtheme. 

Edited by Classic_Spaceman

4 hours ago, Legoanonymous said:

This actually might be true. The sets in wave one had details that made them look older. Cracks, rust, and even architectural ware was everywhere on the sets. They looked realistic, like a forgotten city past its prime. Wave 2's sets look more modern and clean, with many of the details that made wave 1 special absent. Most of the vehicles feel less realistic, and a lot of the gloombee  prints seem more specialized (the clown faces, goggled jet packer, and oil - drenched mechanic.) The only set that fully fits in is the subway station. While cluttered, it seems like an unreleased set from wave one. Someone wanted to use this style on more sets, and wave 1 was created.        

This actually explains the Minifig designs, as well. HS could have been originally conceived as an “X-Treme Ghost Hunters” theme with a variety of settings, but evolved into something more grounded and smaller-scale, as we see in Wave 1. 
This also would make the Paranormal Intercept Bus somewhat of a holdover from the original premise, and would explain its late-90’s/early-00’s theme-references (That are not present in other sets) and “COOL BUS” designation. 

Edited by Classic_Spaceman

I love the new sets. I think the subway station doesn’t really look like one but maybe combining 2 sets could make something interesting. Glad we have ghosts but I wish the whole body was transparent (which lego won’t do). I was looking closely at the pictures and I wonder if this blue angled part is new

49075728218_5129afb5d8_b.jpg

???

it looks like this:

49075754268_d2dcb44a40_n.jpg

but thinner in the middle. 

Edited by Megbricks
Typo

2 hours ago, Classic_Spaceman said:

If the torso were from Ninjago, it would have some kind of digital elements to its design (VR/MoCap gear, pixelation, TRON-style lines, etc), but it does not.

That is, unless it belongs to a non-avatar variant/character of some sort. :shrug_confused:

Pffft, I don't know, perhaps @Falconfan1414 could sort this out? :def_shrug:

10 hours ago, tafkatb said:

I quite like the Ghost Fair, but I can see how others are disappointed with it - it kind of undersells a concept with a lot of potential. I feel like a haunted fairground could be the basis for a whole subtheme, or even a D2C if Hidden Side were ever to get to that point. Still very nice for what we get, though, and it could even be worked in with "normal" fairground sets if you think of the spooky elements as intentional theming.

I love it too and wish it was bigger. I think Maybe I’ll be combining two-three sets to make something more interesting. Two new Colors for track elements!! Very happy about that. I wish lego would make all tracks available when they introduce a new color. 

After first good wave, this is step in wrong direction. This is repetitive, without new fresh ideas. Monster Fithers was the absolutely best, Scooby Doo was very good, but this is meh.

This new wave is a major disappointment besides for the lighthouse and plane.

Cons:
-I find it both funny and sad that they just down right gave up on hiding that phone gimmick after the wave, especially in the portal where it stand out badly. At least if you don't want it to be their, you can easily skip on that part (or in case of the lighthouse, replace a piece).
-I'm really disappoint that the main 2 only got new headwear, no new clothes (not counting the portal) especially sense those same clothes have been used in all of the first wave sets.
-speaking of headwear, Parker's hair looks really strange and unfitting, especially with the big headphones; I think Anna hair from the CMF would been a lot more fitting.
-The Subway Station I though was a sewer at first sight, poorly design and easy to skip set (I'm thinking about making my own remake of it, because a subway at $30 sound like it would be a cheapest set to get 1 of those train track pieces).
-Ghost Fair look pretty over price, seem that it should've been $5-10 less.
-Buggy suspension are too high and not a interesting set.

Pros:
-I really like Jack's headwear, and see that we could get TLNM Cole's hair without the cap at some point. I honestly though he would have Finn's hair in brown.
-The plane looks amazing with a really good color scheme, a lot better than the Stunt Truck.
-Different color ghost, though their only in one set. I would add having green ghost again but hoping they plan on doing a change of ghost color every 2 waves.

I have made a supersizing discovery. If you look closely on the top of El Fuego's Stunt Plane, it says the boss ghost is a pilot named Harry Cane! For those who don't know, Harry Cane was a friend of Lego legend, Johnny Thunder. However, his last appearance was in the Amazon sub theme when he mysteriously disappeared. My theory is that he was accidentally marooned in the Jungle until he died insane. This appearance also makes me wonder if other classic characters will come back with this theme. If only they were real in the sets ...   

59 minutes ago, Legoanonymous said:

I have made a supersizing discovery. If you look closely on the top of El Fuego's Stunt Plane, it says the boss ghost is a pilot named Harry Cane! For those who don't know, Harry Cane was a friend of Lego legend, Johnny Thunder. However, his last appearance was in the Amazon sub theme when he mysteriously disappeared. My theory is that he was accidentally marooned in the Jungle until he died insane. This appearance also makes me wonder if other classic characters will come back with this theme. If only they were real in the sets ...   

That's awesome! Hopefully the character description on LEGO.com will reveal more about that.

3 hours ago, Lego David said:

That's awesome! Hopefully the character description on LEGO.com will reveal more about that.

Unfortunately, LEGO.com is now defunct in terms of theme information, and is purely a shop site now, but the Hidden Side app has ghost bios for every character, and does describe how they died etc, so I'm curious to see what they say for him...

On 11/15/2019 at 12:13 AM, Feng-huang0296 said:

Are you kidding? If anything they’ve cut back the minifigs. Wave 1 had tons of extra civilians who had no purpose other than to run screaming from ghosts or else just exist and possibly fill out a city. This wave, not a single set has a minifigure that isn’t a main character or possessed. Which is kinda disappointing, I really enjoyed all the new prints we got.

We aren't getting a bunch of new prints?

And almost all the characters the first time around were main characters or possessed too, so I don't really see what the issue is. 

Just now, Maple said:

We aren't getting a bunch of new prints?

And almost all the characters the first time around were main characters or possessed too, so I don't really see what the issue is. 

Almost all. The Shrimp Boat, High School, Train and Shrimp Shack all included one extra civilian minifigure in addition to the main characters and gloombies, each with a new torso and face. None of that is present this time around. 

Agree that the sets feel very lacking without an extra non-possessed civilian minifigure. They could had added one easily by taking out either Jack or Parker in Subway, Lighthouse and Ghost Fair, I would've been fine if the minifig reused rare/uncommon prints. (like sneaking that Galidor print into the Ghost Fair)

Lego inadvertently revealed a plot point for season 2. You can obviously see El Fuego's skeleton in that plane

On 7/20/2019 at 9:49 AM, Digger of Bricks said:

Ya know, should we be considering Hidden Side to be yet another aspiring "big bang" theme hoping to live up to Ninjago, much like what Legends of Chima and Nexo Knights hoped to be? Yes, the theme is wrapped around a AR app rather than a story-heavy TV show; but, despite that difference, could Lego have the same high ambitions for it as they had for Chima and Nexo Knights, or is the theme really more comparable to smaller-scaled themes like Ultra Agents as we've all presumed for awhile now? :shrug_confused:

I don't think anything could possibly live up to ninjago

On 7/22/2019 at 8:42 PM, Fuppylodders said:

I'm also all for them making better ghost representations that imitate the AR versions. 

I do have to question the second paragraph though... (I separated for ease of reference). 

Do tell what a non fake/real ghost looks like? Because as far as I'm aware, no one anywhere in the entire world has solid visual hi res graphical proof. 

So, while you're entitled to your opinion that the ghost pieces look shit, I disagree and think they give a good variation that could easily be viewed as them being 'evil ghostly presences' that aren't tied to any particular body, just bad/evil energy in its natural form. 

The mini figs in the hidden side sets are again, a nice variation. The prints are good, the pieces are good. OK, would be nice to have trans bodies, but we know the issues why they're not used. I can only hope they'll get round it soon enough, perhaps, they actually have and is what may well be included in the second wave. 

The 'AR' bulls**t won't go away from this theme at all. It's TLG trying to branch out into the digital world again, but this time I think they've got it right. I believe this will be a hit with kids. If you don't like it, you entirely have to do nothing at all to not have anything to do with it too! But for those kids that do, they'll have a new, and let's face it, modern way of interacting with their lego. Because let's face it, technology is in everything. And if incorporating it this way helps bring us a new theme like this? I'm all for it. 

I also think you're looking at this entire theme waaaay too much from an adult perspective entirely ignoring the fact this is aimed at young kids. 

Your previous mention about how it's not spooky or scary etc (I forget the exact words), of course its not... To adults. To teenagers. But. To some kids, really young kids, it'll have the same/similar effect as the TV series 'goosebumps' / 'Round the twist' / 'are you afraid of the dark'. They're nothing. But they play on imagination. 

Where's your inner child gone? Dig him out again :) 

Agreed, and about the ghost part we have gotten several ghosts in the past so you should be used to this by now people!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Ninjaguy99
That idiot, autocorrect

On 11/17/2019 at 1:40 AM, Megbricks said:

I wonder if this blue angled part is new

It's exactly the piece that you think it looks like, in azure. The middle beam has a ridge when you look at it from the 'front', but not at the 'back'.

17 hours ago, Legoanonymous said:

I have made a supersizing discovery. If you look closely on the top of El Fuego's Stunt Plane, it says the boss ghost is a pilot named Harry Cane!

Ooh, that's a nice touch by LEGO! 

18 hours ago, ShadowWolfHount said:

Parker's hair looks really strange and unfitting

Totally agree, she is so much better in Wave 1 - here she looks outright ridiculous!

2 hours ago, Exetrius said:

It's exactly the piece that you think it looks like, in azure. The middle beam has a ridge when you look at it from the 'front', but not at the 'back'.

Oh thanks! I couldn’t find one in my bins yesterday to check. 

20 hours ago, Legoanonymous said:

This appearance also makes me wonder if other classic characters will come back with this theme. If only they were real in the sets ...   

I could see them bring back one of the Knights Kingdom character (like Cedric The Bull) in Hidden Side version of a castle that been turned into a museum. Rather than the ghost possessing people, they possess empty suits of armor. That would be an awesome flagship for a wave.

Here are my thoughts on the sets:

The Buggy: My least favorite, this set is boring.

The Subway Station: I wouldn't call it a station, its more like subway tunnels, but I like it.

The Portal: I like this set and hope it connects to the Subway set, I'm also glad it has regular ghosts.

El Fuego's plane: The planes a good build, but the sets a little boring.

Light House: I like the build and think it will go nicely with the Shrimp Shack and the Fishing boat.

Fair Grounds: This set reminds me of the UniKitty fair ground set. I feel like its not as good as the friends fair sets, the clowns are the best part of this set.

Edited by Dr.Cogg

On 11/16/2019 at 8:48 AM, Cut the Kragle said:

Newbury is meant to be in the "Deep South" not Florida. So more like Louisiana.

Where is the location of Newbury defined? I thought it was just some town, somewhere.