16 hours ago, kelceycoe said:

The lightjouse looks to be a solid build but practically the same one from Scooby Doo.

13 hours ago, kelceycoe said:

How whem me and a lot of other people have said its a mod of the Scooby Doo lighthouse.

I really don't see how this can ever be called a MOD. Look at the past lighthouses from Scooby Doo, Creator and even Friends. They are all essentially the same at first glance - a lighthouse is a tall building with a light on top. But now look at construction. Sure there are differences in window placements and doors and so on but the tower is constructed from macaroni (curved) bricks plus studs up bricks to give it the shape. I'd say from a build perspective a lot of these are practically the same, the towers are studs up with stacks of macaronis at the corners for curves.

75903-1.jpg?2015072210485770-0000-xx-13-1.jpg31051-1.jpg?20160520111941094-1.jpg?201410080824

Now look at the construction of this one below. Notice any difference? I do. This one is not studs up for a start. A lot of the sections are built sideways. There are no stacks of macaroni bricks in this one, unlike the past four above. Sure if you only glance at it, it looks like a lighthouse on rocks and so it looks like any lighthouse on rocks. But actually look at it and the build is completely different to the one in Scooby Doo, not just in play features but most importantly in the way it is built. There is no way it is practically the same. And to call it a mod is ridiculous, a mod implies minor changes. This doesn't even use the same style of building.

70431-1.jpg?201911141043

EDIT: just read Exetrius comments, looks like we have the same opinion here in that the build is completely different.

Edited by MAB

9 hours ago, Classic_Spaceman said:

Despite most of the sets being location-based, none have the level of normal-to-Gloomed transformation features (or Gloomed details) that sets like the High School, Shrimp Shack, or even the Juice Bar, have. For example, the Lighthouse (by far the standout of the wave) barely looks different in its haunted configuration. 

Thank god for that, I really disliked the transformative features in the current wave (and the abundance of stickers used in the school)

58 minutes ago, MAB said:

EDIT: just read Exetrius comments, looks like we have the same opinion here in that the build is completely different.

We're so in sync, reference pictures and all! :laugh::thumbup:

1 hour ago, Guyon2002 said:

Thank god for that, I really disliked the transformative features in the current wave (and the abundance of stickers used in the school)

It will be interesting to see if it is just the opening panels or if the whole thing or sections can spin around. For example, the light looks like an eye and I wonder if there is a plainer looking light on the other side.

Mind you, it is my kid that mainly plays with this line and he likes the way they transform.

I'm a huge fan of the Portal and the Lighthouse sets! Not sure I'm going to bother with the rest of the wave but I'll definitely be picking up those two. The Lighthouse will look great on display with the Shrimp Boat and the Shrimp Shack and will also make a great piece for a lovecraftian display.

6 hours ago, Exetrius said:

Moreover, the designs of possessed civilians can be turned into normal civilians if you swap the heads for normal ones, so I don't really see the problem here.

The difference is that the first wave had both normal heads and possesed heads for the civilians included in the box; the second wave has only possesed heads.

27 minutes ago, Hive said:

The difference is that the first wave had both normal heads and possesed heads for the civilians included in the box; the second wave has only possesed heads.

I thought that at first too, but look at the tops of the boxes (they’re listed here: https://www.brothers-brick.com/2019/11/14/first-look-at-6-new-lego-hidden-side-sets-for-2020-news/ )

They show the normal versions of the figures, with some useful parts too, like he lighthouse keeper’s grey beard. If they stopped including the normal faces I would be very disappointed, but they haven’t!

Beyond that, I actually like most of these. The two vehicles are rather boring, but the plane especially looks good for what it is, and it’s hard not to want the two-headed ghost. I actually like the subway station, especially for the function! While the lighthouse is the best built, for some reason it doesn’t catch my attention that much, while the ghost fair does, although it feels a little barebones. Oh yeah, the portal’s cool too, but not that special really. I’ll get a few, probably the ghost fair and the buggy, maybe the subway station if my budget allows.

11 hours ago, Exetrius said:

However, I don't see your point about the detailing and diversity of the figures. There's a diver, lighthouse keeper, tunnel technician, pump serviceman/mechanic, stunt flyer (inventor?) and two clowns, and a number of them seems to have new printed leg designs, too.

I should have used a comma - I meant that the “Gloom Power Blast” elements are overused both for set and Gloombie details, and that the Gloombies have less Gloom-based diversity (e.g. Hair, wings, tentacles, extra arms, etc): 

11 hours ago, Classic_Spaceman said:

Due to the lack of any new Gloombie hairpieces and the overuse of “Gloom Power Blasts”, the Wave 2 Gloombies feel like a downgrade from what we had in Wave 1. 

9 hours ago, Guyon2002 said:

The normal-to-Gloomed transformations are what sets HS apart from themes like City, though, so the reduction undermines a core element of the theme. Additionally, comparing sets from both waves that have the same number of transformations, the sets in Wave 2 have less detail. Consider Wave 1’s Juice Bar and Wave 2’s Subway Station - Both have one normal-to-Gloomed transformation (and the form of the transformation is similar), but the Juice Bar has far more detail in its Gloomed configuration than does the Subway Station (despite the Subway being larger). 

40336-1.jpg?201907241243

70430-1.jpg?201911141042

20 hours ago, Feng-huang0296 said:

But you’re right about the setting, I was looking at the desert background of the Dune Buggy and thinking “So there’s a desert right next to the Newbury swamp?” Because if Minecraft has taught me anything, it’s that that don’t fly with topographical science. And I suppose it could be a beach, but the art shows a palm tree

It's Florida. Swamps and palm tree dotted beaches.

But I don't think they have a subway there.

Edited by obsidianheart

On 8/14/2019 at 1:41 AM, Vindicare said:
On 8/11/2019 at 7:10 AM, Digger of Bricks said:

I've just inquired about this over on the 2020 Ninjago topic, and thought I'd ask here too. Does anyone here have any kinda clue where that one leaked mystery torso may belong to? It depicts an unzipped, Earth Green biker's jacket with a white t-shirt underneath, an orange "Phoenix" insignia on the back, and tan-colored hands. :shrug_confused:

Doesn’t seem like a Ninjago torso, that belt that looks to be the car seatbelt style belt. That, to me, wouldn’t fit with Ninjago. It could be a possessed person for next wave of HS, maybe a grease monkey. 

Say, what did come of this torso anyway? Looks like it didn't show up after all within any of Hidden Side's upcoming sets; so, perhaps it does belong to Ninjago after all, or maybe something entirely? :def_shrug:

43 minutes ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Say, what did come of this torso anyway? Looks like it didn't show up after all within any of Hidden Side's upcoming sets; so, perhaps it does belong to Ninjago after all, or maybe something entirely? :def_shrug:

It could be from the City "Turbo Wheels" subtheme. 

23 minutes ago, Classic_Spaceman said:

It could be from the City "Turbo Wheels" subtheme. 

Huh, that'd be wild... :oh: ...I guess in context that "seatbelt buckle" would then make sense. :shrug_confused:

3 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

I totally forgot about that. It certainly felt like an action theme kind of torso, not so much a City one. I’m not familiar with the “Turbo Wheels” subtheme, but that’s probably our best guess at the moment. The name suggests it could be something kinda outlandish. 

1 hour ago, Lego David said:

What's that? 

From the City 2020 thread: 

On 11/8/2019 at 11:09 PM, Dominic said:

I have some intel that we may be getting a new subtheme called Turbo Wheels, including 60258, 60257, 60256, and 60255.

BTW, I have quoted all posts related to this torso into the City 2020 thread, so that the discussion can continue there and not derail this thread. 

Edited by Classic_Spaceman

9 hours ago, Classic_Spaceman said:

The normal-to-Gloomed transformations are what sets HS apart from themes like City, though, so the reduction undermines a core element of the theme. Additionally, comparing sets from both waves that have the same number of transformations, the sets in Wave 2 have less detail. Consider Wave 1’s Juice Bar and Wave 2’s Subway Station - Both have one normal-to-Gloomed transformation (and the form of the transformation is similar), but the Juice Bar has far more detail in its Gloomed configuration than does the Subway Station (despite the Subway being larger). 

40336-1.jpg?201907241243

70430-1.jpg?201911141042

Couldn’t agree more. Didn’t get the High School set in the end (tempted on 30% discount but lack of space) seeing all the transformative ghostly play features in person was impressive and is or rather was, clearly the USP of this theme.

There’s no doubt that wave 2 has notably stepped back from this creativity, and is far less appealing as a result. The Lighthouse is a must-have much more for the aesthetic than anything else, and the Portal likewise will sell well for its great minifigs and price point. The rest will warm shelves, which combined with the lacklustre app, won’t bode well for waves 3 and 4, with the latter looking increasingly vulnerable to being axed.

Edited by Lucarex

10 minutes ago, Lucarex said:

Couldn’t agree more. Didn’t get the High School set in the end (tempted on 30% discount but lack of space) seeing all the transformative ghostly play features in person was impressive and is or rather was, clearly the USP of this theme.

There’s no doubt that wave 2 has notably stepped back from this creativity, and is far less appealing as a result. The Lighthouse is a must-have much more for the aesthetic than anything else, and the Portal likewise will sell well for its great minifigs and price point. The rest will warm shelves, which combined with the lacklustre app, won’t bode well for waves 3 and 4, with the latter looking increasingly vulnerable to being axed.

I am really not sure what the theme is trying to do/be in Wave 2, since the multicoloured-brick connections to the app have been relegated to a dial on the side of each structure, so it does not even seem that the app is being prioritised over the builds themselves. 
Further along these lines, what is going on with Parker and Jack? Their Wave 1 designs were sufficiently modern/realistic and fit with their smartphones, but the Wave 2 designs have a weird 80's/90's feel - Shaggy hair and a backwards cap for Jack, a skateboard, and a BMX bike?? This also makes Parker's headphones look extremely dated, instead of just looking like Beats

I am wondering - What if these sets were designed first, while the sets in Wave 1 were actually designed later (once the designers had a better understanding of the theme)? This has happened in the past (Café Corner was not the first Modular that was designed, but it was released first due to its lack of an interior), and it would explain why the detailing has gone down and the theme feels directionless overall. 
Looking at a hypothetical progression from Wave 2 to Wave 1, the direction of the sets becomes more focused, the Gloomed transformations become more elaborate and detailed, the app-connection bricks are better integrated into the builds, and the town of Newbury becomes more well-defined. This might also explain why the largest set (High School) was released in the first, rather than second, wave. 
Perhaps LEGO felt that the Wave 1 sets would be a better introduction to the theme, and that the Wave 2 sets could ride on the existing popularity of the line. 

1 hour ago, Lucarex said:

I did get the High School and it has become one of the big landmarks in my city (partly because I turned it into an Avengers Mansion and installed a huge Hall of Armour under it). What does USP stand for?

But Wave 2 does seem like a step back. The Lighthouse is cool and I do want it, but I don’t even understand what the transformation is supposed to be. Is it four mouths opening in the walls? Would it have been so difficult to make it unfoldable hands instead, maybe with mini ball joints so it could reach out and grab a person? 

Honestly I do expect Wave 3 in Summer 2020 to be the last wave before this theme is put to rest. All I’m really hoping for is that the remaining sets look cool and end the theme with a bang. Ideally, a minifigure version of Lady E, because she’s the big bad and it’s weird that she’s in the tiny Hidden Side Portal rather than a flagship set of some kind. 

8 hours ago, obsidianheart said:

It's Florida. Swamps and palm tree dotted beaches.

But I don't think they have a subway there.

Newbury is meant to be in the "Deep South" not Florida. So more like Louisiana.

16 hours ago, NetherCreeper said:

I thought that at first too, but look at the tops of the boxes (they’re listed here: https://www.brothers-brick.com/2019/11/14/first-look-at-6-new-lego-hidden-side-sets-for-2020-news/ )

They show the normal versions of the figures, with some useful parts too, like he lighthouse keeper’s grey beard. If they stopped including the normal faces I would be very disappointed, but they haven’t!

I didn't notice that, good find!

5 hours ago, Classic_Spaceman said:

BTW, I have quoted all posts related to this torso into the City 2020 thread, so that the discussion can continue there and not derail this thread.

As likely as I find that theory, it's still not a certainty though, as Ninjago might be a candidate for such too. 

So, I absolutely love the new parts for the minifigs. Both Parker and Jack get new hairpieces and all three main heroes, including JB, get new faces? Let's compare this to Chima and Nexo Knights, where the main characters barely ever got new facial expressions. That's what leads me to believing this theme won't end so soon. Also, the new gloom/slime pieces. I also think we're gonna get more sets actually taking place in the Hidden Side, with Hidden Side versions of Parker and JB and hopefully a minifig (or bigfig) Lady E.

For the sets, I like the portal and the subway, love the lighthouse. 

I do like the Lighthouse and the portal with Ghost Jack. Other than that: maybe, but not too likely. I don't know why, but most of this doesn't catch my interest like the first wave.