Digger of Bricks

LEGO Speed Champions 2020 - Rumors, Speculation, and Discussion

18 hours ago, Steph 104th said:

The only thing holding them back from 10/10 now is those pesky stickers. Neither the price nor the scale allows for their elimination, that much I understand, it just detracts from the overall display.

Totally agree. I think part of the problem is that the line is called Speed Champions. I like cars but not necessarily racing cars. A lot of stickers come just from sponsors and modifications for the racing models. For me personally, I would rather see something in the style of the Need for Speed (back when it was a great videogame) than any kind of Nascar or WRC or other championships. And also the front lights... Oh, man. Is it that so much more expensive to print them? I'm not asking for a new mold, all I'm asking is that if it is impossible to have them brick-built, just print them!

3 hours ago, meliander said:

Totally agree. I think part of the problem is that the line is called Speed Champions. I like cars but not necessarily racing cars. A lot of stickers come just from sponsors and modifications for the racing models. For me personally, I would rather see something in the style of the Need for Speed (back when it was a great videogame) than any kind of Nascar or WRC or other championships. And also the front lights... Oh, man. Is it that so much more expensive to print them? I'm not asking for a new mold, all I'm asking is that if it is impossible to have them brick-built, just print them! 

Half of the sets arent really racing cars though, and most of the GT ones tend to be modifiable to road-spec, so id say it isnt that bad. Ill probably mod the Nissan to look like a regular white roadcar rather then the Nismo spec.

Printed headlights though.. given that at this scale the headlights are one of the main clues on whether we are dealing with an F8 or a 488GTB etc.. there is 0 re-use potential, unless they plan on re-releasing the F8 as the GT3 and GTE models (and the liveries dont interfere with those pieces), so that is 8 bespoke, non-reusable prints each set... (and at that point, why not say the same for the bad on the hood?). And as a counterpoint, the clearback stickers offer fans the option of building a re-colour. Ive got the 911 Turbo sitting in front of me, and i could have easily built it in another colour using the same stickers, which wouldnt work with prints

22 hours ago, Steph 104th said:

So I converted all my existing SC sets to 8 wide, and new windshields is most obvious hurdle.

But after that, and lining them all up together I couldn't be more pleased. The new size changes the nature of the cars completely they now resemble real models or RC cars. I can understand people's frustration with them no longer conforming to the 'city-scale', and the previous waves were indeed in the caricature style of city with quirky designs that vaguely resembled the actual thing.

This is my 'mission' as well, converting to 8-wide. It really takes the models to a new level, if you can say that. 

Made it 7 wide in the front and 8 wide in the back to have those wide hips it deserves. But check out SP_LINEUP on Flickr, he's done an 8-wide MOC that's a great looking 8-wide Porsche.

This sounds cool - can you share a photo of it?

5 hours ago, MTBingNinja said:

After some reservations, loving the new 8-wides...

Whoa, very nice!

On 1/19/2020 at 6:45 PM, Steph 104th said:

Made it 7 wide in the front and 8 wide in the back to have those wide hips it deserves. But check out SP_LINEUP on Flickr, he's done an 8-wide MOC that's a great looking 8-wide Porsche.

Cheers :)

Would be nice to see your 7 to 8 wide Porsche too :)

The garage is lovely but the minifigures working on the cars highlight the scale issue with the new cars.  It looks like children are working on the cars. It might have been better if they just made the new cars more Creator-like (Model Team...) and left the minifigures out of the steps.

The eight wide cars look great but are too big for minifigures, too big for road plats and too big compared to City vehicles.

Edited by rriggs

Well, I have no reservations loving this diorama! Great build! Any LDD file which you would like to share? Or a link to Flickr? This is a kind op garage which I would love to build myself for my SC cars.

The only thing is, and I have to agree with @rrigs, the figs look to small with it. This is my issue with the 8 wide cars: they're not suitable to display with minifigs in my opinion. 

Thanks, Daan

19 hours ago, MTBingNinja said:

After some reservations, loving the new 8-wides...

On 1/20/2020 at 10:50 AM, jpx said:

This sounds cool - can you share a photo of it?

Windshields are hard to come by on my local Bricklink market, so I'm waiting on that.

It isn't too hard to achieve just use jumper tiles to connect the rear to the front and the build is pretty sturdy.

Hi Daanski,

I don't  have an LDD file or Flickr site, but here are some previous links with more close up shots....

Built the F8 Tributo recently.  I actually like the 8 studs wide design.  Love the new printed canopy and the shield piece with black printing.  I wonder if there is anyway to make the steering at the right position with a dashboard .... hmmm  Anyway, very happy with the new F8 Tributo.  

Found the Lambo polybag at my local LEGO store (Dreamworld Australia) sitting on the shelf openly for sale with no conditions alongside a bunch of other polybags. Picked it up for $5 which I think was a great deal.

Great little model too IMO.

What's the release schedule for Speed Champions sets, usually? One - two waves a year? I've been looking at Brickset and there have only been 7 sets released every year for this theme. Usually 5 or 6 in the first quarter and another 1 or 2 in summer.

I've never really cared for this theme, but ever since the change to 8-wide vehicles, I've been wondering about what future cars could be released.

The schedule is typically 5-6 cars in the first quarter, plus the possibility of another car released later in the year.

On 1/27/2020 at 12:02 PM, McLaren97 said:

The schedule is typically 5-6 cars in the first quarter, plus the possibility of another car released later in the year.

That sounds really promising! 

I never cared for the Speed Champions line until now (8-wide) but as a rally fan the Sport Quattro got me, lacked some detail though hence I made some alterations.

49456171172_84bfd9e5e1_c.jpg

The real thing:
jape0712x_s830x0_q80_noupscale.jpg

Really hope we get to se some more group b/rally cars! :)

More pics and info in this thread: 

Edited by Jonsson

1 hour ago, Jonsson said:

Really hope we get to se some more group b/rally cars! :)

Totally agree with you. I also think a rallycross car would look pretty neat in amongst the new 8 wide models. Nice mods on the audi too mate?

22 hours ago, McLaren97 said:

Totally agree with you. I also think a rallycross car would look pretty neat in amongst the new 8 wide models. Nice mods on the audi too mate?

Thanks! And I second that. It would probably look amazing. Really hope Lego will be abled to land a couple of more licenses for recreating some of the earlier rally icons aswell!

Over on the Licensed Themes subforum, @Harkonen had this to share potentially regarding next year...

1 hour ago, Harkonen said:

Take this with a grain of salt for now because even if it's coming it won't release this year but I heard from my source that Lego will do more than one Technic Fast and Furious set, they are going to do a whole system theme for Fast and Furious which will supposedly release next year for the 20th anniversary of the Fast franchise and F10 release.The sets will be like Speed Champions in size of the cars, 8 wide. 

4 hours ago, Harkonen said:

Do we have a Speed Champions wish list thread or should I make one? Because I have a few cars which I'd like to see made. Also, on a matter of news:

-Expect two more Speed Champions sets this summer. No idea which cars but they are based on existing licenses.

Two more? Neat. Hopefully one of them could be the Corvette C8R. The other, I would choose the Porsche Taycan Turbo S.

I am hoping one of them is a single-car Lamborghini set that would have the same price/size/etc as the Audi, Nissan and Ferrari.

6 hours ago, Harkonen said:

Expect two more Speed Champions sets this summer. No idea which cars but they are based on existing licenses.

I want a SUBIE!!!!!!!!!!

1 hour ago, Brandon Pea said:

I want a SUBIE!!!!!!!!!!

Subaru?