Digger of Bricks

LEGO Speed Champions 2020 - Rumors, Speculation, and Discussion

If ever do another Huracan as a single pack, I hope they pick either Orange, Yellow or Bright-Green

The Urus uses Lime-Green , which is close to Verde-Ithaca, but Bright-Green would look more like Verde-Mantis.

Edited by TeriXeri

11 hours ago, Johnny1360 said:

Just built the F8, simply amazing, totally love the whole process. Minimal stickers, lots of interesting techniques, it is a very tight build with loads of details and the new windscreen is absolutely fabulous. 

I was on the fence with these new Speed Champions sets but now I am totally sold on them. The F8 being my third build of the new line, after the Quattro and the Nissan. 

Really stoked to build the Jaguars now which I picked up today. These are everything SC should have been from the start. 

Now I am going to dismantle my 30 or so six wide sets and put them in storage, hell I might even just get rid of them all. They really don't fit with the new ones at all, they actually look ridiculously comical in fact when displayed next to the newer sets, such a shame. 

Choose those you like more and turn them to 8 wide. This is Lego :) I did that to Senna, Camaro Nascar and Mustang and the result was cool, even adapting the windshield.

Edited by AlexSanders

Yes Alex that is a great idea and something I will likely do, thanks. My skills at creating a good looking SC type car are somewhat lacking and to be honest I have a lot more fun with technic, when it comes to MOCs. However I do like to constantly tinker and will likely have a go at few of them. 

Since I have such a large supply of extra parts though I will probably dismantle the ones I have and keep them intact as the sets they came in. Sometimes I have such a hard time deciding on what to keep as individual sets or turn into parts packs. 

Edited by Johnny1360

4 hours ago, AlexSanders said:

Choose those you like more and turn them to 8 wide. This is Lego :) I did that to Senna, Camaro Nascar and Mustang and the result was cool, even adapting the windshield.

Pictures please. I would love to turn my Senna to 8-wide.

Johnny1360, the 6 wide ain't that bad looking. And why not rebuild some of them to 8 wide, instead of getting rid of them?

Whops, missed that there was 1 more page of replies. I agree with AlexSanders.

Edited by Shiva

Yea 6-wide cars still look great, there are many fantastic 6-wide mocs out there from well-known 6w builders.

If you look at it from another perspective, both 6w and 8w serve a slightly different purpose now, 6w being best for City road plates and City stuff, while 8w is more suited for a standalone display item, so there's no need for a serious debate about them.

Edited by KMPMOCS

Simple mod to the Nissan GTR, wanted to make it more of a street version.  Going into the 8-wide series, I am going to be consciousness about leaving off a lot of stickers unless it's a rally type or Nascar style vehicle that has much justified livery.  I like clean looking cars. 

med_1578846863-Lego_Nissan_GTR_1.jpg

med_1578846879-Lego_Nissan_GTR_2.jpgmed_1578846887-Lego_Nissan_GTR_3.jpg

med_1578846894-Lego_Nissan_GTR_4.jpg

23 hours ago, OpenBagTwo said:

Pictures please. I would love to turn my Senna to 8-wide.

The convertion isn't so difficult. You just have to follow the instructions, adding two wide in the middle and one or two in the length, depending on the model. Sorry about foto quality:

AE4B3187-6B47-4032-9AAC-E5B8C82D5989.jpeg

74E4E7AF-FAB0-472F-A7B5-A3FC687389AB.jpeg

A247F91C-AA44-40AA-B7EF-6D42B11160A2.jpeg

772A19DF-3FDB-4476-BCD3-16EC520E6973.jpeg

6B3F13C4-326C-49B7-9FE3-FF03F0382D32.jpeg

8EF22CEC-6544-405C-80ED-C91903F5E990.jpeg

19 hours ago, Shiva said:

Johnny1360, the 6 wide ain't that bad looking. And why not rebuild some of them to 8 wide, instead of getting rid of them?

Whops, missed that there was 1 more page of replies. I agree with AlexSanders.

Absolutely not bad looking at all, still love them, with limited display room I choose to not display them with the newer ones, which in my opinion look much better. 

5 hours ago, MTBingNinja said:

Wouldn’t it be great if someone sold conversion kits to bring the 6-wides to 8-wides!!!!!

I get the feeling that with all the changes they have made, they now have free reign to revisit many of the older designs. 

@MTBingNinja I was planning on doing the same when i got the GT-R, but i was under the impression the hood was printed, is it a sticker, or did you replace it with a non-printed hood?

2 hours ago, vectormatic said:

@MTBingNinja I was planning on doing the same when i got the GT-R, but i was under the impression the hood was printed, is it a sticker, or did you replace it with a non-printed hood?

It's a print, there was a detailed walkthrough for this mod at Brickset: https://brickset.com/article/48266/the-nissan-gt-r-nismo-without-stickers

Also, I still wonder why it was decided to keep that uncovered stud under the rear lights.

UPD: I've posted an idea for a mod a while back, but I've just came up with a neater one:

49378638661_2ce1c71c1c_z.jpg

Edited by imvanya

15 hours ago, jpx said:

I tried to widen the 75885 Ford Fiesta WRC to 8 studs:

IlVUN7e.jpg

4Qq6gh9.jpg

Looking good! 

I feel like 8 wide suits the SC cars good! Keep those MOD's coming! 

Still, I will continue with 6 wide, cause don't want to mess up my collection which is only contains 6 wide SC cars.

Another thing: are Speed Champions still a sub theme of City? I can recall the designer said TLG doesn't consider SC a sub theme anymore. 

Daan

Wasn't interested in Speed Champions before because i thought the cars at that 6 wide scale were awkward and cartoonish. 8 wide should be the standard for all lego vehicles imo. Its so much better, you can get more accurate details and proportions and fit 2 minifigs in. I think its more accurately scaled for minfigs too. Not for height obviously, but width. 6 wide is way too narrow for 2 minifigs to sit in. And its just weird seeing a cramped inside area on older speed champion cars with room for only 1 seat. Just pretend everyone in lego world is 4 feet tall, cause honestly the way minifigs are proportioned they would be pretty damn short in real life. 

I suppose your thoughts on 8-Wide SC depend on what you do with the cars. If you only display them on a shelf then they look good; however, if you use them in your town layout they look oversized even on the road plates. I really hope Lego doesn't adopt 8-wide for all their City vehicles because just imagine how huge busses, ambulances, and fire-trucks would look at 10 or 12 wide.

47 minutes ago, gotoAndLego said:

I suppose your thoughts on 8-Wide SC depend on what you do with the cars. If you only display them on a shelf then they look good; however, if you use them in your town layout they look oversized even on the road plates. I really hope Lego doesn't adopt 8-wide for all their City vehicles because just imagine how huge busses, ambulances, and fire-trucks would look at 10 or 12 wide.

That's really the beginning and end of it. IMO there never would have been any sort of issue or debate if LEGO had started at 8-wide at the start of the SC theme. It's only the fact they're switching it, years later, that is causing any sort of strife, because now the early and later SC models won't fit the same contexts as one another.

On 1/13/2020 at 4:37 AM, imvanya said:

UPD: I've posted an idea for a mod a while back, but I've just came up with a neater one:

49378638661_2ce1c71c1c_z.jpg

Also, this is a fantastic little tweak.

Edited by Carbohydrates

I just finished building the F8 Tributo and, wow, I must say, this set has exceeded all my expectations. I have never seen as many details, geometry and SNOT techniques crammed into such a small set. The jump from 6- to 8-wide made me buy my first Speed Champions set, and I sure hope TLG sticks to this new size, since it's a huge jump in quality from the smaller, city-like cars to these larger, like-architecture-but-for-vehicles sets.

However, they are too big to be displayed next to other 6-wide vehicles in a city display. If they are by themselves, even in front of modulars, they look good. They're more in scale with the Ideas Ecto-1 and the gift with purchase Batmobile. If all you have is 8-wide vehicles in your city, I think they'll look great. If you have (like most of us do) 6-wide cars, then maybe it'd be better to find a place where the 8-wide cars can be on their own, perhaps in another street, since the size difference is pretty staggering.

Overall, incredible set, full of surprises, very enjoyable build, and I hope TLG doesn't revert back to 6-wide cars.

Edited by Terrasher

So I converted all my existing SC sets to 8 wide, and new windshields is most obvious hurdle.

But after that, and lining them all up together I couldn't be more pleased. The new size changes the nature of the cars completely they now resemble real models or RC cars. I can understand people's frustration with them no longer conforming to the 'city-scale', and the previous waves were indeed in the caricature style of city with quirky designs that vaguely resembled the actual thing.

But I think what's being offered now is almost a miniature of the fantastic creator expert line. Sets that really capture what they are and make a great display item where you don't have to explain what it's meant to be nor take out a loan and reinforce the shelf like the CE cars.

The only thing holding them back from 10/10 now is those pesky stickers. Neither the price nor the scale allows for their elimination, that much I understand, it just detracts from the overall display.

5 hours ago, Shiva said:

Steph 104th, did you rebuild any Porsche from 6 to 8 wide?

Made it 7 wide in the front and 8 wide in the back to have those wide hips it deserves. But check out SP_LINEUP on Flickr, he's done an 8-wide MOC that's a great looking 8-wide Porsche.