Digger of Bricks

LEGO Speed Champions 2020 - Rumors, Speculation, and Discussion

Not picking up the F8 is going to be a huge test of my self-discipline for a few months, i promised myself i wouldnt buy anymore stuff until ive moved house in april, and technic seems to be more then accomodating by having a boring H1 lineup, but these SC cars look very interesting at least.

6 hours ago, Carbohydrates said:

I have a shelf with nothing but 6-wide cars that an 8-wide will look absolutely mammoth next to.

Personal take: it's not actually that bad. SC cars are already a bit inconsistent in relative scale (why is the Chiron so much smaller than the other super/hypercars? why are the tiny LMPs the same size--if not larger--than mammoth muscle cars like the Dodge Challenger?). Putting the F8 next to some of the 6-wides I had lying around looked... fine. I'd imagine that when I put the F8 next to the 458/488, that will be more jarring, and when I get around to the urq, I'm sure I'll have feelings about how it mixes in with my two S1 SECS, but I don't think it's going to be anything some careful angle choices can't cancel out when taking photographs.

Edit: here's what I mean (and sorry for the cruddy lighting):

vIWFZHE.jpg

Yes, if I were to put them, say, head-to-head, the difference in size (but more noticeably, detail) would be a bit jarring, especially since the 488 and F8 are almost identical cars in real life, but there are plenty of angles you can shoot from where they look fine side by side, or, at least, as coherent as any two 6-wide cars from, say, different MOC designers. 

Edited by OpenBagTwo
added image

I am sure you can hide the size difference in photos to some extent but it won’t help when displayed alongside their 6-wide counterparts or alongside 6-wide City cars

@OpenBagTwo Is that a modded 488GT3? looks good!

Also, seeing them side by side really drives home how much more detailed the F8 is, the 488 has a wildly unrealistic windscreen/roof etc.. The F8 on the other hand looks a bit crude due to the size of lego bricks relative to its details, but im sure lego will work it all out, just compare the first year 458GT2 with the 488GT3, or the first year 911 RSR with the later version

17 hours ago, rriggs said:

I am sure you can hide the size difference in photos to some extent but it won’t help when displayed alongside their 6-wide counterparts or alongside 6-wide City cars

Right, I was gonna say, that's some pretty dramatic manipulative perspective in that photo. I picked up the Audi yesterday and it absolutely dwarfs every 6-wide SC car, as you would expect, because it's in a different scale. It just is what it is. I'm not sore about it; it was completely expected.

What I was not prepared for is how much I love the model. I looked at photo and video reviews of the Audi before I committed to buying it, but dang, the completed model is really nice. Looks great with a fig or two inside. Looks absurd with a minifig standing next to it. For now, it will go on the same shelf as my Caterham 7 and Creator Mustang, the "not at all to minifig scale" shelf. I'll play with the new pieces and try some 8-wide SC MOCs as well, but they definitely won't be able to go into the minifig-scale display I'm working on for LUG events.

Ordered the Nissan and Audi on Wednesday morning, should arrive soon.  Looking forward to see if I like them or not.   Hope they fit well in my Lego garage diorama, I think they will (i.e. on the car lift, dyno machine, etc.).   As a kid, I always wondered why they never made a two-seater; trying to keep an open mind about it.  Change is tough sometimes, hopefully it's for the better. 

Built the GT-R last night and was really overwhelmed by the size and scale. With the F8, it just seems like a wide-bodied supercar, and that feels authentic. With the Jaguar I-PACE, I mean, that's an SUV. But the GT-R is pretty much the exact same dimensions as the I-PACE

T8n2f7q.jpg

which is totally ridiculous... It's also completely true to life:

- 2019 Jaguar I-PACE dimensions: 184.3" x 74.6" x 61.3"

- 2020 Nissan GT-R dimensions: 185.4" x 74.6" x 53.9"

So yeah, the GT-R could stand to be a plate or two lower, but in terms of footprint, the relative sizing is absolutely accurate.

Edited by OpenBagTwo

Got the Audi today and built it. It's big, when compared to old Speed Champion cars. And I like it.

But... all that extra space and yet still seating the minifigs is cumbersome. The left arm of the driver has to point down, otherwise it won't fit. And even then the roof rests on the helmet and wobbles - never really fitting as snug as it does without the minifig. 

For a SC and a rallycar, it's actually pretty light on stickers!

Edited by jfbat

Ignoring stickers, minifigs, the lime green vehicle and the finish line, how hard would it be to build the black Lambo out of parts? Are there any parts in it that are exclusive to it (or very rare)?

EDIT: Looking at it some more it looks like the windscreen is exclusive to the set and printed in a way where its only ever going to be used in the set. So there goes that idea, if I want the set I am best just buying it :)

Edited by jonwil

I built the GTR last night.  Fun to build. I think if you not have out the “peg” under the steering wheel and leave of the “slant tile”, you could slide over the steering wheel and center it. I can see too that the minifgure’s head hits the roof a bit.  It really dwarfs the 6 stud cars.  Was curious to see how it would fit in my Lego mechanic’s garage diorama....it barely fits on the Ferrari FXX K & Developp 75882. I would have to modify the platform to make it proper   

4 hours ago, jonwil said:

EDIT: Looking at it some more it looks like the windscreen is exclusive to the set and printed in a way where its only ever going to be used in the set. So there goes that idea, if I want the set I am best just buying it :)

Yeah doing that would make the process longer. Though I do have to admit that it wouldn't really be a bad thing as we only get one Speed Champions wave a year (that does sadden me btw). So they'd have plenty of time to come up with the new elements. But there is also the licensing process and the designing time and limits. So that would probably be why they can't. 

Edited by pooda

I'm eager to see the first wave of mocs built at this scale and using the new chassis, windscreens, etc. Personally I'm finding it completely overwhelming, and I wouldn't know where to begin trying to reproduce a car in this style (seems like the F8 should be a good starting point to mod into a McLaren or C8 Corvette, but I can't even visualize in my head yet how they should look). Gonna be an adjustment, and I hope to learn from others' examples.

Spotted the F8 in the lego store yesterday, and while im still holding off on buying, it looks spectacular in real life. Yes, the details are a tad blocky/coarse, but the proportions look bang on, and the details are on a whole new level. Im sure the next few waves will see the 8-wide designs improve, but where it is right now already makes them look much more like proper scale models rather then carricatures.

Hi, I'm usually in the technic forum but the new Audi Quattro caught my eye. Just built it and I love it. I did build 8 wide models  a logn time ago, I would use two of the 4 wide wheel axles taking a tire off each and putting a plate over it. What a difference these new sets are. My only issue is the figure is off set from the steering wheel and the roof comes off to easily. It should have an opening roof, a hinge 4 x 4 plate would do it. What I used back in the day.

H

I loved my 6-wide collection of SC cars but now they seem to look "funny" now with the new series out.  I am not looking to display the 8-wide cars next to the 6-wide cars, but in general all of a sudden the 6-wide cars look a bit silly to me.  Someone used the word caricatures recently to describe them now.  I'd have to agree.  Can't get the thought out of my head, frustrating. 

I've never been a big fan of Speed Champions as I thought the 6 stud width of his cars was too unrealistic (like the fact that all the cars were single seaters) and also because many details were often made with stickers, instead of real construction techniques. Now, however, I am very impressed with this new series and the techniques used to make the details, and I will certainly follow the theme more (already bought the F8 Tributo). I personally hope that a Koenigsegg may be present among the next cars in the series.

17 hours ago, MTBingNinja said:

I loved my 6-wide collection of SC cars but now they seem to look "funny" now with the new series out.  I am not looking to display the 8-wide cars next to the 6-wide cars, but in general all of a sudden the 6-wide cars look a bit silly to me.  Someone used the word caricatures recently to describe them now.  I'd have to agree.  Can't get the thought out of my head, frustrating. 

I second that! 

That's why I'm planning to buy sets from the new wave and to change them to six wide. Oh my, these are first world issues :blush::laugh:

5 hours ago, Daanski said:

That's why I'm planning to buy sets from the new wave and to change them to six wide. Oh my, these are first world issues :blush::laugh:

That is what I was thinking of doing. While a lot of what has been said about the six wide car proportions is true for some of them I like the fact that you have cars in LEGO City scale which look like cars from real life from real brands.

1 hour ago, rriggs said:

That is what I was thinking of doing. While a lot of what has been said about the six wide car proportions is true for some of them I like the fact that you have cars in LEGO City scale which look like cars from real life from real brands.

City fan aye? I love the cars from the new Turbo Wheels subtheme for that reason. Them being based off of real cars. Especially the van from 60257. 

21 hours ago, Daanski said:

I second that!  

Well that is one way to go about it :P I think that will be quite difficult though, might require a complete redesign to look right. Personally i just wont display them side by side, put a little physical distance between the generations and the difference wont be as jarring

13 hours ago, pooda said:

City fan aye? I love the cars from the new Turbo Wheels subtheme for that reason. Them being based off of real cars. Especially the van from 60257

The 6-wide city race cars have been awesome for a few years now, ive recently gotten rid of a lot of them because i simply dont have the space, but you cant argue with those $10 speed-champions-lite cars, the set you've got as an avatar is also quite appealing, if i had space to put up a massive collection i'd be getting all of them

Posted in the wrong thread

Edited by jonwil
Posted in the wrong thread

Just built the F8, simply amazing, totally love the whole process. Minimal stickers, lots of interesting techniques, it is a very tight build with loads of details and the new windscreen is absolutely fabulous. 

I was on the fence with these new Speed Champions sets but now I am totally sold on them. The F8 being my third build of the new line, after the Quattro and the Nissan. 

Really stoked to build the Jaguars now which I picked up today. These are everything SC should have been from the start. 

Now I am going to dismantle my 30 or so six wide sets and put them in storage, hell I might even just get rid of them all. They really don't fit with the new ones at all, they actually look ridiculously comical in fact when displayed next to the newer sets, such a shame.