Digger of Bricks

LEGO Speed Champions 2020 - Rumors, Speculation, and Discussion

I come from the car community. So that explains why I'm a jerk at times. Especially to people who challenge me, annoy me or simply can't accept my crude humor. 

Edited by pooda

On 12/24/2019 at 5:23 AM, Johnny1360 said:

And it is even more noticeable on the GT-R, I guess because of the longer wheelbase and the 1 plate rake. Still I do seem to be warming up to the new SC line. Some of the shaping techniques are pretty cool, just make sure you keep the driver in the car and not displayed next to it. And I still am having a hard time accepting the off-set steering wheels, might have to mod that somehow. 

1X2 jumper plates? Or is that how they're offset? Haven't really looked.

Tbh, I don't mind the 8 stud wide system. Just as long as it doesn't come into City. The cars not be good for my town. But they seem to be great for display. 

1 hour ago, pooda said:

I come from the car community. So that explains why I'm a jerk at times. Especially to people who challenge me, annoy me or simply can't accept my crude humor. 

I also have an automotive background, as a mechanic who's done nearly everything from OEM and aftermarket electrical work, full engine long block assembly and transmission replacement, to windshields, wheel bearings, clutches, fuel systems and full suspension overhauls; and also as a driver with nearly ten years of High Performance Driver Education at racetracks across the United States from Virginia International Raceway to Buttonwillow Raceway Park, in my own personal non-trailered daily-driven vehicle.

Personally don't think that being a part of the 'car community' is a valid excuse for nor affects one's behavior, behavior probably has more to do with the prefrontal cortex. But then again I am a mechanic and not a clinical psychologist.

Just now, koalayummies said:

I also have an automotive background, as a mechanic who's done nearly everything from OEM and aftermarket electrical work, full engine long block assembly and transmission replacement, to windshields, wheel bearings, clutches, fuel systems and full suspension overhauls; and also as a driver with nearly ten years of High Performance Driver Education at racetracks across the United States from Virginia International Raceway to Buttonwillow Raceway Park, in my own personal non-trailered daily-driven vehicle.

So it looks like we may have something in common. I think you'll be happy to know that there is a plot twist to this whole situation between me and the community. I'm about to fufill my dream job as a mechanic for one of my favorite automakers, Subaru. I always wanted to be part of the Boxer club. 

Let's just say.....I've been fighting for Lego to make Subaru part of the Speed Champions club. Maybe a BRZ GT300? 

5 minutes ago, koalayummies said:

Personally don't think that being a part of the 'car community' is a valid excuse for nor affects one's behavior, behavior probably has more to do with the prefrontal cortex. But then again I am a mechanic and not a clinical psychologist.

You're right there! Let's just say that when I was in the car community on this social media platform called Google Plus, which shut down back in April. If you were seen as someone less knowledgeable, you were flamed hard by people who did research. So with that being said, looks like I need to do my research with Lego. My turn to learn again.

But hey! We were finally able to come to an agreement on something and I'm sorry for how I have been towards you in the past. How about a truce between us? 

I'm still not sure about 8W. Maybe...6/1/2 studs would have worked? I read once that real cars get wider as drivers do, but that doesn't apply to LEGO minifigs? Could so many studs and a half work?

15 minutes ago, pooda said:

But hey! We were finally able to come to an agreement on something and I'm sorry for how I have been towards you in the past. How about a truce between us? 

Yes. When in doubt, throttle out. If you can't find 'em, grind 'em and always remember: keep it shiny side up. :excited:

@koalayummies Thanks bud 

No questions asked though. On the next Speed Champions wave, Subaru and Lancia (both are which are huge legends in the WRC) need to be there. Then again, I do have to admit that getting the license could be pretty hard. 

I'm saddened that Speed Champions doesn't have more than one wave a year. But like @Lyichir once said, we don't know TLGs limitations. Thats especially true when it comes to licensed themes. 

Edited by pooda

44 minutes ago, MTBingNinja said:

OMG!   Luv the Scooby.  I’ll take one in 6 wide, 7 wide, 8 wide and 10 wide ?

This one looks to be 6 stud wide. Must be made 8 stud wide to fit the Speed Champions standards. 

20 hours ago, pooda said:

This one looks to be 6 stud wide. Must be made 8 stud wide to fit the Speed Champions standards. 

Yeh...Forget about 6 stud wide. 8 is the reality and it’s cool. 

18 minutes ago, AlexSanders said:

Yeh...Forget about 6 stud wide. 8 is the reality and it’s cool. 

I'll take 8 stud wide just as long as it doesn't cross the threshold into City. 

On 12/27/2019 at 12:09 PM, Modeltrainman said:

1X2 jumper plates? Or is that how they're offset? Haven't really looked.

Yep they use jumper plates to offset the steering wheel, not sure why though. I think it has to be done that way to make other parts work out right. I think maybe some other steering wheel solution, besides the one on the 1x2 plate would have to be used to make it line up better with the driver. 

Really have'nt messed with it yet still trying to track down the rest of the sets. 

They will be available at the LEGO store after the first, right? 

I think the only reason I found them at Target so early was because some employee mistakenly put them on the shelves. 

Sets were really flying off the shelves right before Christmas, there were absolutely no Star Wars sets on the shelf, it was crazy. 

For those looking for to build a Subie, hachiroku24 has a great 22B on his channel. There is also a clone brand that's been putting out some absolutely amazing SC (6-wide) scale models, Colin McRae's 555 Impreza among them.

2 hours ago, OpenBagTwo said:

For those looking for to build a Subie, hachiroku24 has a great 22B on his channel. There is also a clone brand that's been putting out some absolutely amazing SC (6-wide) scale models, Colin McRae's 555 Impreza among them.

Link please?

Edited by pooda

1 hour ago, OpenBagTwo said:

Like to purchase one of those 555 Impreza SC clones.  I tried a quick search.  Any links to purchase them?! 

2 hours ago, pooda said:

Link please?

1 hour ago, MTBingNinja said:

Like to purchase one of those 555 Impreza SC clones.  I tried a quick search.  Any links to purchase them?! 

Hope I'm not breaking any rules here.

This is the link to the most official page I've been able to find for the brand: https://www.facebook.com/pg/SemboBlocks/posts/, and here's where they announced the wave with the 22B STI (alongside an ur-Quattro, Exige R-GT and E30 M3). You can find them all over Ali Express (though keyword search is not going to be your friend), and here's an example listing.

I must have a dozen models from this brand by now--extremely high quality with excellent building techniques on par with official Lego sets. Plus, as far as I can tell, they're not stealing their designs from the community, which is always a plus.

My favorite so far have to be the Renault 5 Turbo and MG Metro 6R4, both of which are available through this listing:

lirQHd8.jpg

As you can see, they're trying to avoid copyright infringement in lazy but hilarious ways, but the models are pretty nice looking, and they're definitely sturdy builds.

@OpenBagTwo Those are very good looking. 

I was at the Lego store yesterday and an associate told me that it's the auto maker who reaches out to Lego. Not the other way around. Obviously Subaru doesn't want any Lego fame so they don't reach out to Lego. 

Edited by pooda

@OpenBagTwo

While Sembo does have some seemingly original designs, at least part of the sets in your linked ali listing are obvious recolours or lego designs, so still partially copy cat

1 hour ago, vectormatic said:

@OpenBagTwo

While Sembo does have some seemingly original designs, at least part of the sets in your linked ali listing are obvious recolours or lego designs, so still partially copy cat

Oof. Fair--honestly, I totally forgot about the recolors. 

PSA--Lego brand stores are selling the Speed Champions (and indeed most of the Winter 2020 catalog) early. Apparently they've been on the shelves since yesterday. Also, if the Tributo is a representative example, the models look WAAY better in person than they do in the box art.

While I quite like the selection of models available, 8-wide is tricky for me to display with everything else 6-wide as I both like to display the SC cars together where the width difference will show but also in my town layout amongst the 6-wide City cars.

The bigger issue for me though is the price hike from the 6-wide cars to the 8-wide cars.  In the UK the price has increased from £12.99 to £17.99 for the single cars.  

The increased width and increased price mean I am unlikely to buy any SC cars this year even though until now I have bought every single one.

4 hours ago, rriggs said:

While I quite like the selection of models available, 8-wide is tricky for me to display with everything else 6-wide as I both like to display the SC cars together where the width difference will show but also in my town layout amongst the 6-wide City cars.

The bigger issue for me though is the price hike from the 6-wide cars to the 8-wide cars.  In the UK the price has increased from £12.99 to £17.99 for the single cars.  

The increased width and increased price mean I am unlikely to buy any SC cars this year even though until now I have bought every single one.

This is still the sticking point for me, too, and for exactly the same reasons. I have a shelf with nothing but 6-wide cars that an 8-wide will look absolutely mammoth next to. I'm also working on a display (dealership) scaled to minifigures and the 6-wide cars that I won't be able to use the new ones with. I do like the new builds and proportions quite a bit, and the new cars look lovely on their own, but changing the scale like this honestly may as well make it a whole new line at this point. In fact, saying that the cars I design are "Speed Champions scale" is now somewhat meaningless. "Old SC Scale" may be the better descriptor, but it doesn't make me feel better!

Interesting to see those new windscreens. I think you could use the red one in the middle to build a great 6-wide Lambo

On a slightly SC-related note there is a real life Quattro for sale on eBay UK right now if anyone fancies buying it to put alongside the new SC model:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F114043162095