Digger of Bricks

LEGO Speed Champions 2020 - Rumors, Speculation, and Discussion

It'd be interesting to see how these new SC cars line up alongside other official 8-wide vehicles like the two Ectos, Mystery Machine, this year's Batmobile, Delorean Time Machine, Joker's lowrider etc.

I've never really been into the SC sets before at the 6w scale, they looked good for the scale they were at and I could tell what they were supposed to be... but I like this change to 8w. Personally I feel like it does a better job of capturing details of the sets, though I do hope we get larger wheels and better headlight solutions in time for some of these. As someone who is looking to get these purely for display and in no way a city collector, I like the change and am onboard for the future of SC myself. Definitely a series that I will be inspired to MOC with; interested to see how they stack up next to the GWP Batmobile since it's at a similar 8w scale, I was debating selling that freebie but I think I'll keep it to display alongside these. 

The wheelbase length increased only by 1 stud, so it is not a huge difference comparing to width increase. However, when I compared new ferrari to mclaren senna, the seemed to have the same length. There is quite good picture in the web with side view of ferrari.

@VBBN with regards to the lights, we saw a pretty nice increase of build complexity from wave 1 to 3 of the 6-wide cars, i would expect the following 8-wide waves to evolve the building techniques as well.

That's a very informative review, thanks for the link.  I'm very impressed by the Ferrari.  There's another review on the same site for the Jaguar set, which I was mainly interested in because I thought the larger car in that kit had a second row of seats.  Turns out it's another two-seater, so I can scratch it off my list.  But the Ferrari stays!

The Ferrari is growing on me even if the bonnet still looks weird.  The review of the Jag set makes me loathe it even more.

18 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Brickonaute - Ferrari F8 Tributo (LEGO Speed Champions 76895) Review

So this is interesting:

LEGO-Speed-Champions-76895-Ferrari-F8-Tributo-9.jpg

LEGO-Speed-Champions-76895-Ferrari-F8-Tributo-14.jpg

LEGO-Speed-Champions-76895-Ferrari-F8-Tributo-4.jpg

The SC wheels we've had so far had axle holes in them:

16342.png

Apparently, we are getting a pin hole version of 18976.

Edited by imvanya

More importantly, the brake disc pattern has been changed, the old SC wheels had grooved discs moulded into them, the new ones have grooved and drilled discs!

The ferrari looks quite good, and indeed, the missing backseat on the jag is a massive missed opportunity, but i assume it will be quite possible to mod that in.

12 hours ago, vectormatic said:

More importantly, the brake disc pattern has been changed, the old SC wheels had grooved discs moulded into them, the new ones have grooved and drilled discs!

I'd say that is more of a decorative change, though having some variety is a good thing for sure.

1 hour ago, imvanya said:

I'd say that is more of a decorative change, though having some variety is a good thing for sure. 

Haha, i wasnt entirely serious with the "more importantly" bit, sorry if that didnt come across. Off course this is an extremely minor thing, especially since the wheel covers tend to obscure most of the wheel/brake disc anyway. I just appreciate the added bit of detail, its good to see details being upped on all aspects of the SC designs, comparing the F8 to for instance the first year 458GT2, we've come quite a long way.

11 minutes ago, Teoh0615 said:

Since most of us agree that the wheels for SC 2020 are kinda small, do you think lego will make bigger wheels in 2021?

Bigger wheels would mean bigger wheel arches, and we've already got 2 molds designed for the Speed Champions theme – 18974 and 35789. In my understanding, LEGO are quite strict when it comes to new designs and/or recolors, so I would not expect them to create yet more new molds. Then again, they released a new wheel that is very similar to the earlier one, so who knows?

Damnit, i just realised the hood on the GT-R is probably printed, which ruins my idea of leaving all the nismo stickers of to make it more of a road-tuned GT-R... The easy fix off course is just ordering a non-printed hood, but i'd prefered the option to just take the basic set and delete a few stickers.

Same goes for the Audi hood, although building an Audi Quattro roadcar from that would require more work anyway, given the bodykit.

2 minutes ago, vectormatic said:

Damnit, i just realised the hood on the GT-R is probably printed, which ruins my idea of leaving all the nismo stickers of to make it more of a road-tuned GT-R...

All you need to do is replace it with a white hood. 

3 minutes ago, pooda said:

All you need to do is replace it with a white hood.  

I know that, i literally said that in the line after the one you quoted.

4 hours ago, vectormatic said:

I know that, i literally said that in the line after the one you quoted.

Or just rub the print off with an eraser.

Am I the only one who thinks the Lamborghini set seems overpriced given what the 3 smaller cars and the Jaguar set cost?

I don't see that the Lambo has that much extra brick content compared to the Jaguar set (or 2 of the smaller cars) to justify the fact that it costs $90 in Australia (when the Jag is $60 and the 3 small cars are $30 each)

51 minutes ago, jonwil said:

Am I the only one who thinks the Lamborghini set seems overpriced given what the 3 smaller cars and the Jaguar set cost?

No, I think that too. I guess they have to pay a large sum in royalty to VW to use the bull logo, hence the high price. 

Edited by jpx
Can't spell before coffee....

I just noticed they started using Speed Champion wheels in a 2020 City set (on a Truck).

But I also see they made new variant of those wheels for 2020 Speed Champions, so the ones in City might be the "Old" ones.

Edited by TeriXeri

On December 9, 2019 at 5:11 PM, Digger of Bricks said:

Check out @Zusammengebaut's interview with Christopher Stamp, LEGO Design Lead for Speed Champions... :classic:

While I salute the idea of trying to add more brick-built details with less reliance on stickers, the more I see of the 2020 8-wide line-up the less enamored I am of them.  Seeing them all together (along with this year's models) the more I think that, with the possible exception of the Nissan, I'll pass on these.  The designer claims that the goal was to get more detail and more authentic proportions and not be constrained by City-scale but the final output just doesn't seem to justify the trade-off to me.  

I wish SC had just stuck with 6-wide (even with all of its limitations) and if they really wanted to do justice to the details, proportions and brick-built features of the various IPs, then release one or two Creator Expert sets each year at 12-wide to go with the Mustang, Austin-Martin, Ferrari and other 12-wide display models that are already sitting on shelves (and, as my daughter has demonstrated, at 12-wide, Duplo figures can ride around in them).  At 8-wide, these cars just seem too big for integrating with City sets and to small to be proper display models.

I'd really love to be privy to the sales figures once these come out to see how the new scale, higher price points and choice of subject matter compare with the prior years' sales.  Every official channel from Lego seems to speak with confidence that the reboot of the line is a vast improvement, but it strikes me as a bit of a gamble and I wonder if they recognize that and are just downplaying the negatives or if they genuinely believe that the new models are so much better people will wholeheartedly embrace them without question.

I do like the new windshields though, almost makes up for the fact that the new wheel designs and wheel bases are incompatible with the old ones. 

Some of you might like this: https://brickset.com/article/47661/are-the-wheels-of-the-8-wide-ferrari-too-small

Basically, the wheel size (outer diameter) on most 2020 SC models appears to be correct or even too big, they just don't look it. But as far as I am concerned, this only proves that SC sets are still LEGO, not true scale models, and as such they have to rely on existing pieces.

Edited by imvanya