Digger of Bricks

LEGO Speed Champions 2020 - Rumors, Speculation, and Discussion

Stickered headlights again, but maybe there are technical reasons why they haven't made parts like 2x1 curved slope/wedges transparent.

10 minutes ago, TeriXeri said:

Stickered headlights again, but maybe there are technical reasons why they haven't made parts like 2x1 curved slope/wedges transparent.

There must be. I'm sure those parts would make many MOCers very happy.

Edited by imvanya

8 hours ago, TeriXeri said:

I was pondering that exact question earlier.

9 hours ago, jonathanfx said:

Poor quality picture but it looks pretty cute. Wonder how we'll be able to pick it up

*image*

Probably GWP. Probably Lambo’s idea too.

8 hours ago, TeriXeri said:

It would be amazing if they did something. I just really hate stickers. 

Meanwhile, the Nissan looks good. Not bad at all. I think LEGO anticipated that there would be some backlash about the 6 stud to 8stud change, because has anyone seen the new city sets? They have given us a good amount of new city sets with a lot of 6 stud wide cars including 2 new racing cars that look very similar to SC.

https://www.thebrickfan.com/even-more-lego-city-2020-official-set-images/

Edited by BrickFit26

These 8 studs cars remind me of the first few years of Speed Champions. Compared to the latest (may final?) 6 stud cars, the first few waves look horrible. I like the proportions of the 8 studs a lot better and I think that they'll get better with the specific details and sculpting the same way they did with the 6 studs cars. And like later waves of 6 stud cars, I can't wait for the designers to go back and do a car they already did in 6 studs to show the potential of 8 studs in the long run.

As it is, the sides of those Urus and the GTR looks oddly flat. The hood of the Tributo is a little jagged. The Huracan look like a great Ford GT lol.

But the new hood pieces look great and even before better official models, I'm sure the community will go nuts with them.

5 hours ago, BrickFit26 said:
14 hours ago, TeriXeri said:

It would be amazing if they did something. I just really hate stickers.

I'm so disappointed in seeing stickers for headlights again. Even if it's not financially viable to make a new piece just for the headlights - why not choose something close. There are plenty of transparent pieces to choose from.

7 hours ago, meliander said:

I'm so disappointed in seeing stickers for headlights again. Even if it's not financially viable to make a new piece just for the headlights - why not choose something close. There are plenty of transparent pieces to choose from.

The designers will get there. 

On 11/22/2019 at 1:00 AM, summicron said:

The minifig already looks a bit small next the classic Mini. Buildings and trucks can be MOC-ed bigger to make 8-stud vehicles look good. Not minifigs though.

By setting down the Mini (smaller wheels, flattened roof) and making the figs a little taller you get a much better ratio between fig and car (see below). Regarding buildings and trucks: I don't think you can because then you get giant scales which don't match anything in larger surroundings (thinking e. g. of joint layouts) and which are much too parts consuming. 

33491195918_85a6e52a7f_n.jpg

On 11/22/2019 at 2:43 AM, Bartybum said:

Truth is, classic cars are much easier to replicate because they're generally boxier and simpler in design.

Au contraire, I would say (see above). The only exception I can think of are US landyachts of the Seventies and Eighties (which also are much more difficult to replicate than one might think). In another sense it may be correct to say that older cars are easier to replicate than modern ones because they have a certain shaping to them at all - whereas modern designs often are absolutely interchangeable, at least in my opinion. 

Oof, they really gotta stop making these cars so tall.

And my god, the Lamborghini pricing is extortion full-stop. God I hope that set flops hard.

The more i see that GT-R, the more i like it. Looking at the stickers it should be relatively easy to skip the motul/nismo ones and just end up with a tuned street version if you dont want a track car

The set looks nice and robust, but much worse than ferrari and lambo, maybe its due to the fact I don't like the look of the real nissan. Note the fact guys, that ferrrari is the only model which has folding mirrors.

Edited by Jaromir

You know what? Ironically, there finally is a reason to take these out from wherever you store them and use them as drivers for the new cars :wink:

toy003.pngtoy008.png

I think that the rear end of this Nissan is very nice, but the front is not enough detailed only the stickers help a bit.

On 11/25/2019 at 9:09 PM, meliander said:

Agreed. I wad looking more closely at the detail and I love how most of the time for the rear lights they use actual translucent pieces and not stickers.

On 11/30/2019 at 10:08 AM, Jaromir said:

That's weird, cause I don't think those cars grew up, they just got wider

Their wheelbase has also increased, except for the quattro.  The GTR has 8 studs between the front and rear wheel arch, that's the issue.

By my calculations and based on the wheelbase alone, the mean scale for this new wave is 1:29.5. The mean scale for the rest of the SC lineup since 2015 is 1:35.1. So yeah, the new cars are bigger in all dimensions, not just wider.

Just for fun, the most out-of-scale cars in the whole 2015-2019 lineup (still based on the wheelbase alone) are the Porsche 917K (scale 1:28.8) and the Ferrari SF16-H (scale 1:40.8).

Edited by bj51

@bj51

Do you happen to have any data on how the proportions are on the new wave? I did some measurements/lookups a few months back and came to the conclusions that this year's McLaren Senna would have been perfect (in terms of width vs height vs length) in 8-wide, didnt bother checking the wheelbase though. That made me think that while scale will obviously still vary in the theme, at least 8-wide allows for minifig compatible somewhat accurate models in terms of proportions, somewhat like mini-creator-expert cars. (and even those big ones are far from perfect, i think the length of the big F40 is off by 2 studs...)

24 minutes ago, vectormatic said:

@bj51

Do you happen to have any data on how the proportions are on the new wave? I did some measurements/lookups a few months back and came to the conclusions that this year's McLaren Senna would have been perfect (in terms of width vs height vs length) in 8-wide, didnt bother checking the wheelbase though.

I only did scale by wheelbase, unfortunately. But I could gather data for total length, width and height as well, might be interesting.