Digger of Bricks

LEGO Speed Champions 2020 - Rumors, Speculation, and Discussion

21 hours ago, Jaromir said:

in my opinion change from 6 studs to 8 is a change for good. 

For newcomers (and children, of course) it might be a good idea - the models as such look much better than before. However it's obvious that all SC 6 collectors will be very disappointed when placing the new SC 8 models next to the old cars - the latter will look even uglier than they did before with their 4w canopies combined with 6w bodies which never worked in my opinion. 

Be it as it may - the disproportioned SC 6 design scheme is history now, which is a good thing in itself. But instead of opening a completely new chapter and taking odd widths into account like they did on the Mini they just went the easiest way by making the SC line completely uninteresting for City builders - at least scalewise. 8w (plus mudguards, to be correct) is a width I have chosen (after long considerations) for trucks and buses. And boy, those are large vehicles. An 8w+ Ferrari would look absolutely ridiculous next to, say, an 8w Greyhound Bus - the more so combined with a 6w+ City truck.

I dunno what you guys see in the Ferrari because damn that looks horrific lol. So top heavy and nothing like the real thing.

That Audi though looks spot on :wub:

Edited by Bartybum

15 hours ago, Bartybum said:

I dunno what you guys see in the Ferrari because damn that looks horrific ...

Doesn't help too that the Ferrari F8 is the most beautiful Ferrari ever made.

23 hours ago, TheDeeGee said:

Wheels look too small on the Ferrari and mini figs have been dwarfed even further.

Thats why 8-stud shift bothers me. The minifig already looks a bit small next the classic Mini. Buildings and trucks can be MOC-ed bigger to make 8-stud vehicles look good. Not minifigs though.

23 minutes ago, Bartybum said:

I dunno what you guys see in the Ferrari because damn that looks horrific lol. So top heavy and nothing like the real thing.

That Audi though looks spot on :wub:

Personally speaking, I think LEGO do a better job with classic cars.  The F40 and 911 from this year are awesome, as is the Quattro for 2020 (except for the studs on the roof and not enough sponsor names on the stickers).  I'm not impressed with the new Ferrari, especially the front end.  Please let the Nissan be good so I have more than one set to buy in December.

1 hour ago, echoboy said:

Personally speaking, I think LEGO do a better job with classic cars.  The F40 and 911 from this year are awesome, as is the Quattro for 2020 (except for the studs on the roof and not enough sponsor names on the stickers).  I'm not impressed with the new Ferrari, especially the front end.  Please let the Nissan be good so I have more than one set to buy in December.

Truth is, classic cars are much easier to replicate because they're generally boxier and simpler in design.

55 minutes ago, Bartybum said:

Truth is, classic cars are much easier to replicate because they're generally boxier and simpler in design.

Indeed they are easier but there has been a lot of poor design in the Speed Champions range.  There are too many MOCs of modern cars that are simply stunning compared with LEGO's efforts.

3 hours ago, echoboy said:

The GT-R has a more simplistic shape than the Ferrari, so hopefully the designers have translated it nicely into brick form. It also important to note that a GT-R is a lot taller than most Ferrari’s and McLarens.

Yea there are lots of room for improvement for previous SC sets, but Jang was right that Lego needs to sacrifice looks for sturdiness, they need to sustain a certain degree of abuse by children of that age group, if parts keep falling off while playing they won't be happy customers.

So, to further improve the looks without sacrificing its sturdiness they decided to make them 8-wide, I guess.

1 hour ago, Teoh0615 said:

I think the Jaguar iPace eTrophy is too long, the front looks good but not for the body and rear. 

Agree that the back looks terrible, but to be honest in real life it looks pretty ordinary.

4 hours ago, KMPMOCS said:

Yea there are lots of room for improvement for previous SC sets, but Jang was right that Lego needs to sacrifice looks for sturdiness, they need to sustain a certain degree of abuse by children of that age group, if parts keep falling off while playing they won't be happy customers.

So, to further improve the looks without sacrificing its sturdiness they decided to make them 8-wide, I guess.

Your P1 is a perfect example of a MOC that looks great and fairly study, maybe.  LEGO's P1 bears no resemblance to the car and Jang claimed it did.  The new Ferrari could have and should have been a masterpiece what with the 8 stud wide format.  I'm looking forward to seeing MOCs that use the new windscreens more than the official sets.

Edited by echoboy

1 hour ago, echoboy said:

Your P1 is a perfect example of a MOC that looks great and fairly study, maybe.  LEGO's P1 bears no resemblance to the car and Jang claimed it did.  The new Ferrari could have and should have been a masterpiece what with the 8 stud wide format.  I'm looking forward to seeing MOCs that use the new windscreens more than the official sets.

Thanks man. Yea looking forward to see how that new windshield works, they both look printed though on the Lambo and the Ferrari.

They should make a 5 stud long windscreen version of the one they did with a 3 stud top instead of a 2 stud top. This would work well for most of the other cars in the world. Or have a dropdown area to place a tile on top flush with the windscreen. That idea would make mocs and building much easier to work with like they did with the 4 stud wide windscreen a few years ago. They already made the windscreen 4 plates tall, that would give them plenty of room to have a drop down top to enable those tiles rest inside it. I guess this is an old argument I been in favor for 3 years since they introduced that other windscreen idea. All they need to so is widen the bottom of the whole windscreen, done. 

Just letting you know from those who are outside of japan. Here is a link from twitter and youtube for the announcement from both LEGO and Nissan. 

As of today from editing. It starts airing within 20min on my time so be sure to check on the video if its airing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYM9ABwSZMo&feature=youtu.be

Edited by AMD

Anyone see the speed champions polybag over on IG? First of its kind. It’s a Lamborghini at the scale of the old Racers Tiny Turbos.

Edited by J4ck

The wheels do look kind of small. But what really puzzled me was an exposed stud supporting the rear lights at an angle. I think it's the only reason why a 87087 is used there. But a 4070 + 54200 combo would do the same, and would look more neat in my opinion. Admittedly, this assembly would result in a half-plate gap, but it would still be less obvious, and you could pretend it's that vertical turn signal found on the real car.

49120775447_2ab1e6169f_z.jpg

The rear end looks a bit strange from the box art around the light cluster but I think I'll buy the GTR Nismo.

I actually like the 8 wide vehicles they look more realistic for display purposes, I do realise that the 6 wides suit city layouts better but some have too long wheel bases.

The GT-R looks great, best car of the wave in my opinion. Only negative thing is how small the wheels are in comparison to the car, but none the less a great job by the designers.

5 hours ago, J4ck said:

Anyone see the speed champions polybag over on IG? First of its kind. It’s a Lamborghini at the scale of the old Racers Tiny Turbos.

Poor quality picture but it looks pretty cute. Wonder how we'll be able to pick it up

75660174_2411613769079719_310715568462202947_n.jpg