Digger of Bricks

LEGO Speed Champions 2020 - Rumors, Speculation, and Discussion

regarding the 8 wide vs 6 wide, while i agree that it completely breaks with the established SC look, it does allow the cars to go from this cartoonesque look to near realistic models, i checked the dimensions on the senna for instance, and if widened to 8 studs, the proportions (with/height/length) would all be PERFECT for the real car.

As for the pics, i love the Huracan, and if that was a single car set, id pick it up 100%, as a big bundled set coupled with another SUV monstrosity... i think ill skip it unless i find it at a steep discount sadly. Im very much interested to see what they can come up with on the single car sets though.

49 minutes ago, RacerRabbit said:

Seeing the Lambos put butterflies in my stomach as it makes me think that all SC cars from now on will be 8 wide I just feel that 8 wide is too wide. I wanna build like garages to house them in and I fear they'll take up too much space. Would anyone be against me if I convert the 8 wide cars to 6 wide when they come out?

Since the article says this it seems 8 wide is the new standard for 2020

"Fortunately, 2020 marks the start of a new chapter for LEGO Speed Champions with the evolution to the more accurate ‘8 Studs Wide’ design and we felt that we could now do the popular brand justice."

https://sportscar365.com/imsa/lamborghini-st/lego-lamborghini-huracan-urus-race-car-models-unveiled/

On one hand I do think they look amazing at 8 wide, when it comes to display models/realism, however for use in an actual (non-modular) City , they are just huge.

I only have 2 SC sets (911 and F40 from 2019), and while Lambo is one of my favorite supercar designs/brands, this upscaling might just be too big for my purpose.

But again, in a larger layout (modulars or larger buildings)  the new cars having better shape/parts use and realism (compared to the real-life thing, not minifigs), it's an improvement.

Of course due to the increased parts, the price likely goes up as well however, and this Lambo set has 659 parts might be pretty expensive around €55-65, which for me is really high for "just" 2 cars.

Edited by TeriXeri

I'm fine with the switch to 8-wide (Lambos should be low and wide), but I'm majorly bummed the second Lambo is an Urus and not a Countach or Miura.

Hmmmmm. Tricky that one. But if Speed Champions continues with 8-wide for (say) 10 years then it's more worthwhile to modify the current/old cars to 8-wide.

Edited by SDRFormula1

8 wide overall is a positive development for the main purpose of the theme : Representations of real-life cars in LEGO bricks form with proper details/shaping. 

Also fitting 4 figures in the larger cars wasn't possible before.

But when comparing it to playthemes like City, then 8 wide is somewhat too large 

It's all about perspective imo.

It will be a good change for some people, and a not so good change for others as people have different goals with their LEGO.

I can certainly see the positives in regards to the designers and LEGO being able to design more car brands/sets in greater detail, possibly getting more varied vehicles.

For me personally, until I see reviews, I'd say 8 wide is mostly too large for my current style of vehicles.

The biggest negative likely will be the increased parts count/price, as with the Lambo set being a 650+ pieces set for 2 cars.

Edited by TeriXeri

8 studs allows for more realism, but it's bad for CITY play. I'm good with 8 in Speed Champs, but I'd say stay with 6 for City.

8 hours ago, CrivitzChris said:

I haven't looked in depth at the Lego news sites, but I haven't seen it yet, but this did pop up on one of my racing news sites. 

https://sportscar365.com/imsa/lamborghini-st/lego-lamborghini-huracan-urus-race-car-models-unveiled/

Lamborghini Super Trefeo and the Urus ST-X. That windshield though! I need like 30 of that piece *oh2*

7 hours ago, Teoh0615 said:

http://motori.quotidiano.net/fashionwheels/curiositamondoauto/lego-e-lamborghini-huracan-super-trofeo-evo-la-urus-st-x.htm

Here are some better pictures of the Lamborghini cars, seem like both cars are also 8-studs wide.

OK, that windshield/canopy is almost exactly the kinda part I'd envisioned for a official SC Lambo build... :thumbup: *oh2* 

Lamborghini-Lego-Huarcan-Super-Trofeo-Evo-5-700x467.jpg

Hate the change to 8 studs. Kinda works for Lambo because they’re wide cars, but they’re really gonna stick out compared to the previous vehicles. I’ve not liked the designs of the new cars so far, the more realism and less ‘Lego-fief’ they look, the less I really feel the appeal to be honest

On 10/5/2019 at 11:52 PM, LegoDW said:

Has TLG come out and said all Speed Champions sets for 2020 will be 8 studs wide?  Hoping its a blend of 6 and 8 wide cars for next year.

Follow up.  Looks like 8 wide is the new standard.  Speed Champion sales will be the deciding factor if we stay 8 wide or go back to 6.  

So while I was initially blown away by the Huracán, upon closer inspection, I'm realizing... it's all stickers. Maybe this is just the pre-production model, but what I'm seeing doesn't seem to have any detailed sculpting or solve any of the design challenges through creative parts use or novel building techniques, it's all just stickers. I actually can't think of a single Speed Champions set as reliant on sticker usage as it's looking like that Lambo is. I mean, is that just me? Am I being unfair?

1 hour ago, OpenBagTwo said:

So while I was initially blown away by the Huracán, upon closer inspection, I'm realizing... it's all stickers. Maybe this is just the pre-production model, but what I'm seeing doesn't seem to have any detailed sculpting or solve any of the design challenges through creative parts use or novel building techniques, it's all just stickers. I actually can't think of a single Speed Champions set as reliant on sticker usage as it's looking like that Lambo is. I mean, is that just me? Am I being unfair?

Not at all!

While I do quite like the new 8 stud designs, the Lambo seems really heavily stickered. 

Personally, I prefer the sets that don't have stickers for headlights.

I have been able to stay away from this theme for the most part (I've bought 2) because I could not stand the terrible proportions.  This is no longer the case for me.  The new 8 stud wide builds look leagues beyond the previous 6 stud wide cars in terms of scale, proportion, and accuracy.  I will probably be picking up most if not all of the coming wave and may also get them as gifts in the future.  Just thought I would share my thoughts as someone who has always seen potential for the theme but hasn't truly been on board with it until now.

15 hours ago, OpenBagTwo said:

I'm fine with the switch to 8-wide (Lambos should be low and wide), but I'm majorly bummed the second Lambo is an Urus and not a Countach or Miura. 

Oh man, now im sad thinking of what could have been, literally any other lambo then the Urus (well, and the LM002) would have made for a killer lineup, a Miura, Countach, Diablo, Aventader, Murciellago, even a bog standard Gallardo, a Sesto Elemento, or the recently announced Sian... And they go and pick the Urus...

Either way, given that the leak at the start of the thread has been accurate so far, that means we have three single cars to look forward to: A roadgoing Ferrari, a Nissan GT-R and the '85 Audi S1 (which i would assume would be in rally trim). For the Ferrari my guess is still the SF90 Stradale (as the stradale translates easily to "road car")

Edited by vectormatic

6 hours ago, OpenBagTwo said:

A little maybe. It’s just the headlights and the rear setup that rely on stickers, but that isn’t really anything new. In recent years though they have gone for more brick detailing than stickers.

Again though, the Lambo Huracan could be 8 wide because it's based off the racing car (which always have really flared wheelarches) but I have no answers with regard to the Urus (maybe because it's an SUV?)

Looks like the end of SC for me atleast.

Can't mix and match the larger cars with the old ones in my display cabinet.

On the bright side, it will save me money.

Edited by TheDeeGee

8 stud wide...bye bye speed champions.....not playable anymore. Why is a stupid individual allowed to do this to us? 

48 minutes ago, Luckyy said:

8 stud wide...bye bye speed champions.....not playable anymore. Why is a stupid individual allowed to do this to us? 

LEGO is a company not an individual. I have been collecting LEGO since 1985 and there has  been a lot of changes since then. Buildings and cars have all increased in size. The number of colours and parts has also increased. LEGO raises the bar each year so that it gets sales and stays around as a company. As a huge Speed Champions collector and MOC builder I welcome the change.

I'll wait a year or two to come out for my full verdict. I like the 5 and 6 wide stud format but know that a high end car like the Lambo is low and wide so an 8 wide stud might do it more justice.  I do see where others are coming from with their concerns, a traditional Lego building (i.e. garages, streets, other cars) fit the 6 stud format.  I built a large garage diorama where I put my SC cars, it would accommodate the 8 stud cars I think.   May I mix and match the old SC with the new?  We'll see.   Might look kind of cool having the new Lambo in my mechanics garage diorama next to the Mini Cooper.