Digger of Bricks

LEGO Speed Champions 2020 - Rumors, Speculation, and Discussion

Has TLG come out and said all Speed Champions sets for 2020 will be 8 studs wide?  Hoping its a blend of 6 and 8 wide cars for next year.

On 10/4/2019 at 9:03 PM, Teoh0615 said:

The design for 8-wide SC cars sure will be more detailed, but the problem is that standard SC wheels doesn't fit into 8-wide cars proportion 

Um, no - the SC wheel type fits perfectly into 8 wide size/scale. Its actually way too huge for 6 wides if you do the math based on the real life counterparts. So 8 wide with these wheels, yes. But 8 wide with minifigs...hmm, not my cup of tea tbh.

11 hours ago, Ron Dayes said:

Um, no - the SC wheel type fits perfectly into 8 wide size/scale. Its actually way too huge for 6 wides if you do the math based on the real life counterparts. So 8 wide with these wheels, yes. But 8 wide with minifigs...hmm, not my cup of tea tbh.

The problem is that minifigs doesn't have human proportions/scale. For example, Jack Stone minifigures are regular minifigures but closer to the human body shape, and their heads/hands have the same size of a classic minifigure.

The minifigs head and hands are clearly made for an 8 studs wide car (or 4 for a single seater), but the body is way shorter. You can have a car in scale with the heigh, or you can have a car in scale with the heads/hands (and width) of the minifigure. When you put a minifigure inside, the only thing you're going to see is the head and the hands so I think that's a good point to prefer the 8 studs cars.

11 hours ago, hachiroku said:

The problem is that minifigs doesn't have human proportions/scale. For example, Jack Stone minifigures are regular minifigures but closer to the human body shape, and their heads/hands have the same size of a classic minifigure.

The minifigs head and hands are clearly made for an 8 studs wide car (or 4 for a single seater), but the body is way shorter. You can have a car in scale with the heigh, or you can have a car in scale with the heads/hands (and width) of the minifigure. When you put a minifigure inside, the only thing you're going to see is the head and the hands so I think that's a good point to prefer the 8 studs cars.

I only agree that 8 wides is "okay" for SC product line since it definately shapes the car better with those huge wheel diameters they have been using. It looks more harmonic than a 6 wide with "hot wheels" type oversize wheels.
Yet going from 6 to 8 wide it literally lost the connection to "Town" even further, since it really wont work well with modulars or even raod plates. They wont go well with 6 trains anymore either for quite obvious "real world realism" issues. SC were regularly used as display items, yet im sure many AFOLs wont agree on 8 wide meeting the same criteria. I mean, may the minifig be wide and small, but now it will appear even more tiny.
By itself its a nice toy that you can go vroom vroom, screeeech with on a table, the 8 studs allow all detail, stability and play features any kid could ever want. So good choice TLG.
It can also be a nice display item without any figs even.
Yet for the tiny amount of AFOLs with a sense of height based scale, its -understandably- somewhat horrible.

Offtopic thought:
"When you put a minifigure inside, the only thing you're going to see is the head and the hands so I think that's a good point to prefer the 8 studs cars."
Well, if its only the head (and hands) you see anyway, why even bother fitting a full minifig inside and risk having oversized cars in an AFOL layout then? You could save bricks, build smaller in the height based scale of 1/43, have cars that go well with Modulars, Buses, Trucks and Trains. Looks amazing.
My 5 wide cars also show minifig heads inside, even 2 side by side - so i dont think that this argument really leads me to prefer 8 studs. Id only prefer 8 studs for playability tbh. And i think thats exactly the reason TLG chose to move on to 8 wide.

Hi guys,

I am quite new to this topic. I get from my friends and family a speed champions sets as a gift from various occasions, I get Chiron, McLaren Senna, Ferrari 488 GT3 and Camaro ZL1. With my small collections of cars, I decided to continue collecting this series ( I am more lego technic guy). Could you please tell, is it only one wave of sets a year or more of them? Is it usual thing the Lego is choosing new supercars and old sports cars for sets. Do you recommend any other sets apart the ones I already have, ( I am not a fan of big sets like race tracks, only single cars or twin packs)? Cheers guys and sorry if my post is offtopic.

3 hours ago, Jaromir said:

Do you recommend any other sets apart the ones I already have, ( I am not a fan of big sets like race tracks, only single cars or twin packs)? Cheers guys and sorry if my post is offtopic.

The F40 and white 911 sets aren't bad single car sets and I got both of those as my first SC sets this year, and can fit into a City setting, as somewhat "retro" street supercars.

If it’s true that SC will switch to 8 stud wide, i am quite curious about the wind shield that they going to use for the Lambo pack.  Certainly wont be that new one used in Jaguar set. Does anyone know of any real news confirming 8 studs for all sets in 2020?

Edited by AlexSanders

12 hours ago, Jaromir said:

Hi guys,

I am quite new to this topic. I get from my friends and family a speed champions sets as a gift from various occasions, I get Chiron, McLaren Senna, Ferrari 488 GT3 and Camaro ZL1. With my small collections of cars, I decided to continue collecting this series ( I am more lego technic guy). Could you please tell, is it only one wave of sets a year or more of them? Is it usual thing the Lego is choosing new supercars and old sports cars for sets. Do you recommend any other sets apart the ones I already have, ( I am not a fan of big sets like race tracks, only single cars or twin packs)? Cheers guys and sorry if my post is offtopic. 

One wave each year, and the themes switch around a bit, year one had supercars mostly, year two had muscle cars etc...

If you can find them, id recommend last years porsche 911 twin-set over this years single 911. Last year's set has a very cool 911 RSR GTE race car, and the '74 turbo looks better in green then in white. Otherwise, just buy the cars you like the look off, its what i do (and then i mostly pick up the rest anyway because i enjoy building them..)

On 10/9/2019 at 4:01 PM, Jaromir said:

Hi guys,

I wouldn't call this off topic. I'm sorry to say however that unfortunately there is only one wave a year. 

I recommend the Camaro ZL1 stock car. I have that one. I personally hope Lego releases the Mustang and supra stock cars. 

Edited by pooda

On 10/9/2019 at 9:01 PM, Jaromir said:

Hi guys,

1 but technically 2. The only years with “2” waves was 2017 & 2019. Although both of these years had the same/similar amount of sets. They basically just shifted one of the £13 sets to June instead.

Here is a better image of the coming set, looks very finished and not so changed after the prototype photos.

Can't say about Formula E vehicle (I'm still more in old-school F1) but i-Pace looks really great, at least it's front :wink: 

76898-1.jpg

@pooda I wouldn't think that the theme is changing completely to 8 wide because the Racing I-Pace is wider than the normal road car so those wishing for the theme to stay at 6 studs wide should not despair. Plus this year could be an experiment for TLG to see how well the change is received and could revert back to 6 wide if the sales are below par

According to IG, the usual hashtag, one of the Ferrari vehicles is revealed. Not the set but which Ferrari car the designer have chosen.

I haven't looked in depth at the Lego news sites, but I haven't seen it yet, but this did pop up on one of my racing news sites. 

https://sportscar365.com/imsa/lamborghini-st/lego-lamborghini-huracan-urus-race-car-models-unveiled/

Lamborghini Super Trefeo and the Urus ST-X. That windshield though! I need like 30 of that piece *oh2*

Edited by CrivitzChris

Seeing the Lambos put butterflies in my stomach as it makes me think that all SC cars from now on will be 8 wide I just feel that 8 wide is too wide. I wanna build like garages to house them in and I fear they'll take up too much space. Would anyone be against me if I convert the 8 wide cars to 6 wide when they come out?

39 minutes ago, CrivitzChris said:

That windshield though! I need like 30 of that piece *oh2*

So true! Hopefully, those are stickers...

16 minutes ago, RacerRabbit said:

Seeing the Lambos put butterflies in my stomach as it makes me think that all SC cars from now on will be 8 wide I just feel that 8 wide is too wide. I wanna build like garages to house them in and I fear they'll take up too much space. Would anyone be against me if I convert the 8 wide cars to 6 wide when they come out?

I’ll convert them to 6 wide too and 1 January 

26 minutes ago, RacerRabbit said:

Speed Champions is not really my area of expertise but I always felt that they looked wrong at six studs wide. That is too narrow. Supercars are wide and low in real life. So, from an aesthetic point of view, I agree entirely with Lego changing to eight wide, if that is what has happened. But I empathise with anyone who feels this makes them too large to fit in with their town/garage/existing fleet.