Digger of Bricks

LEGO Speed Champions 2020 - Rumors, Speculation, and Discussion

The parts count indeed hints 8 wide for the others as well...

Oh well R.I.P. Speed Champions 2015 - 2019.

what a pity, Speed Champions is even getting more way out of scale. A nice toy for kids, yet no relevance to a lot from the AFOL market now. Glad i build my own stuff and never sets, otherwise that would be very frustrating. 2019 definately ended the usual SC line.
However, always a good place for new parts^^ Thats all i ever cared about in SC...

I'm looking forward to an 8 wide change. I don't have a city for my cars to go with so for me if the look more realistically proportioned then it is a big bonus.

1 hour ago, Ron Dayes said:

what a pity, Speed Champions is even getting more way out of scale. A nice toy for kids, yet no relevance to a lot from the AFOL market now. Glad i build my own stuff and never sets, otherwise that would be very frustrating. 2019 definately ended the usual SC line.
However, always a good place for new parts^^ Thats all i ever cared about in SC...

At least is not coming for City. 

Im really excited about the change. I have collected since 2015. I love the cars and many of them look great in 6-wide. But really often, I think 8-wide would have been a WAY better fit. I think they should choose the width according to the real life sizes of the cars. Some cards (like formula 1/formula e ) are wider than some normal street cars. So in my head it makes sense :)

I can't believe people on the Eurobricks forum actually defend the atrocities committed by Lego.  

Edited by pooda

Just now, DeductedMiller said:

What do you mean?

8 stud wide for minifig scale road vehicles? That's an atrocity. I think it should've stayed six stud wide. 

Edited by pooda

8 wide for regular "cars" is indeed very wide.

I can understand somewhat for some larger 4-person passenger cars to seat 4 figures, but it wouldn't make sense for sports cars (like the upcoming Lamborghini or Ferrari sets).

Of course the new chassis piece still allows to have 6 wide cars + tiles at the sides, so not all is lost.

Edited by TeriXeri

1 minute ago, TeriXeri said:

8 wide for regular "cars" is indeed very wide.

Would you agree that generic automobiles from the City theme should stay four stud wide?

Edited by pooda

Just now, pooda said:

Would you agree that generic automobiles from the City theme should stay four stud wide. 

Depends how they do the fenders and wheels. 

The taxi in the Donut set using the older wheels looks a bit silly, meanwhile the Kayak Adventure car or the car in the Sky Police Airbase look a lot better.

Meanwhile, the 2019 Police Car is using a different style and is only slightly smaller then a Speed Champion car, still looks great.

Edited by TeriXeri

On 10/3/2019 at 12:27 PM, TeriXeri said:

Depends how they do the fenders and wheels. 

The taxi in the Donut set using the older wheels looks a bit silly, meanwhile the Kayak Adventure car or the car in the Sky Police Airbase look a lot better.

I changed the wheels on the taxi. I can actually fit two people inside there. I think the police car that supposed to come with the 60246 Police Station should be four stud wide too! 

But back to Speed Champions......six stud wide should be the system for SC. If they can't do a six stud wide model, it shouldn't be made for SC. That's just my opinion. 

Edited by pooda

On 10/2/2019 at 4:57 PM, nahpets said:

I built this not too long ago - was great fun and looks the part with its bigger brother 

48792104693_46e2b76afc_c.jpg

https://www.flickr.com/photos/162974451@N07/albums/72157711059442763 

Cool! I always like to see how people build my stuff! Thank you for sharing that photo (someday I will have the big Chiron, someday...).

5 hours ago, Ron Dayes said:

I think 6 studs is the perfect scale for minifigures, but on the other hand, 8 studs will improve the models allowing more techniques (for example, the front of the Jaguar pace car, with the inverted mudguard for the grill and the front bumper). Plus, some minifigure vehicles have been released as 8 wide cars, and even they were for the AFOL market (Delorean, ECTO-1, 1966 Batmobile), or the new Batmobile, Joker's lowrider and the rest of the vehicles from the Batman movie.

I'm waiting to see the other cars, specially the GTR, but at this moment I'm glad with the decision. I think the 8 wide studs will improve the cars.

7 hours ago, TheDeeGee said:

The parts count indeed hints 8 wide for the others as well...

Oh well R.I.P. Speed Champions 2015 - 2019.

It’s just for this Jaguar, other sets are will be 6 wide They done it for 2 minifigure to sit (I heard this on Instagram)

5 hours ago, Ron Dayes said:

They done it for 2 minifigure to sit other sets will be 6 wide

Edited by Legobrickbro

I'm looking forward to the 8 wide change. The proportions are better and they will still fit on my SC layout. My buildings are SC scale so they will look good beside them. 

taupo_hobby_expo_2019_long_view.jpg

1 hour ago, AllanSmith said:

I'm looking forward to the 8 wide change. The proportions are better and they will still fit on my SC layout. My buildings are SC scale so they will look good beside them. 

taupo_hobby_expo_2019_long_view.jpg

Wait a minute! So YOU were the person behind that school bus! You did a great job on that. I have been trying to find the builder behind that, but I was never able to. 

4 hours ago, Legobrickbro said:

It’s just for this Jaguar, other sets are will be 6 wide They done it for 2 minifigure to sit (I heard this on Instagram)

They done it for 2 minifigure to sit other sets will be 6 wide

But the parts count for the other cars is upped by 75 atleast.

I hope you're right though.

I prefer the Lego sedan in 6 stud wide, since matching minifigure scale better. I only use 8 stud for large vehicle such as truck and bus. 

Anyway the wheels on SC cars are kind of too big for minifigure scale sedan. I like to build moc vehicle instead.

I'm surprised at the majority of negative outlook here. People complained about six wide, but they got used to it, so then they started to complain about how goofy some of the cars looked with the four wide windscreen and a six wide body and the proportions. Perhaps some people just need something to complain about. My Lego city is called Supercar City because most of the cars are Speed Champions. I have some mocks that are six, some that are eight. Personally, I think five and seven wide builds would be better, but with the current part set this gets to be a little tough. I love the extra detail versus the generic city stuff so I certainly don't mind some 8 wide instances.

For me I do a lot of car builds and I think this move is wise to better capture the details of these cars. For example ever try to mock and old Lemans racer like they did with the 917? The proportions are all wrong on that SC set because you can't get a four wide windscreen low enough due to the fact that the way they do the fenders you are left with only two studs in between on a six wide build, so you either have to push the windscreen back or go an extra stud wider on each side. The 917 is a wide car and the windscreen sits low between the fenders, same with all of the prototype cars. These demand eight wide builds to really capture the look. Having to have huge straight angled fender pieces covering half of it. Kind of ruins the look. The new curved fenders help a little as the inner portion is a little lower, but it should be a plate or two even lower to allow for better front end detail. I personally, wish they'd do a plate based fender like the newer squared off ones, or even better, have a plate that sits lower down then a thin plastic "panel" like part that comes up and then goes out to handle the curve of the fender over the wheel. Another great addition would be a nice curved brick inverted and from the top like the 45 degree slopes in 1x2 and 1x3 format so you can create custom fenders that are inline with the side bricks or plates, versus encroaching on the interior. This would allow for nice six wide builds without this issue allowing things to be more accurate.

I think this set looks great and I'm inspired to pick it up when it releases. Also excited about the six wide windscreen for some cool SUV builds. The city ones short of the 2x3x6 one are just to upright for my taste. I look forward to the next few release of this lineup.

@Legobrickbro That explains the ipace, but doesnt explain the 8-wide Formula-E racer, and i dont think the FE cars are wider then F1 for instance, which we've had many 6-wide ones of.

@Brick_MOCery People will always complain off course, so that is to be expected. On the other hand, speed champions had a set style, and all cars in the theme adhere to it, so that if you line up a whole bunch of the cars, they all have the same weird out of proportion style, and now lego comes and switches style.. For the i-pace im not to bothered, since that car is a much different beast from all the sportscars we've seen, so just like the F-150 from a few years back it doesnt matter if it stands out. But the FE jaguar... will just look plain odd sitting next to the F1 Speed champions, and if the other sets in the theme are 8-wide as well, we will suddenly have an 8-wide ferrari sitting at the end of a lineup of 6-wide cars...

So in that sense, they are kind of ruining the "displayability" of the theme, which for me is a big part of the appeal, being able to take a small selection from my collection along some line (say, only Ferraris, only GT3 cars, or just some colour scheme) and putting those in a display case and have it look cool. Im not sure if i want to continue with the theme if i need to rebuild a seperate 8-wide collection to pick from, especially since ive gotten a bit more critical and dont just buy every set (i skipped the rally fiesta, am skipping the chevy/mini sets, and on the fence about this years porsche), so getting back to the point where i could display a cool set of 8-wides would take 3-4 years at the very least.

I know ill probably end up buying a few, even if the whole theme switches to 8-wide, but i very much understand the complaints, as it is something that impacts me as well, despite there being positives, such as better proportions and room for more detail.

10 hours ago, vectormatic said:

10 hours ago, vectormatic said:

@Legobrickbro That explains the ipace, but doesnt explain the 8-wide Formula-E racer, and i dont think the FE cars are wider then F1 for instance, which we've had many 6-wide ones of.

@Brick_MOCery People will always complain off course, so that is to be expected. On the other hand, speed champions had a set style, and all cars in the theme adhere to it, so that if you line up a whole bunch of the cars, they all have the same weird out of proportion style, and now lego comes and switches style.. For the i-pace im not to bothered, since that car is a much different beast from all the sportscars we've seen, so just like the F-150 from a few years back it doesnt matter if it stands out. But the FE jaguar... will just look plain odd sitting next to the F1 Speed champions, and if the other sets in the theme are 8-wide as well, we will suddenly have an 8-wide ferrari sitting at the end of a lineup of 6-wide cars...

So in that sense, they are kind of ruining the "displayability" of the theme, which for me is a big part of the appeal, being able to take a small selection from my collection along some line (say, only Ferraris, only GT3 cars, or just some colour scheme) and putting those in a display case and have it look cool. Im not sure if i want to continue with the theme if i need to rebuild a seperate 8-wide collection to pick from, especially since ive gotten a bit more critical and dont just buy every set (i skipped the rally fiesta, am skipping the chevy/mini sets, and on the fence about this years porsche), so getting back to the point where i could display a cool set of 8-wides would take 3-4 years at the very least.

I know ill probably end up buying a few, even if the whole theme switches to 8-wide, but i very much understand the complaints, as it is something that impacts me as well, despite there being positives, such as better proportions and room for more detail.

Yeah but one of the Lego leakers from Instagram said other cars will be 6 wide I hope this is true

Edited by Legobrickbro

The design for 8-wide SC cars sure will be more detailed, but the problem is that standard SC wheels doesn't fit into 8-wide cars proportion 

76898, 1st Speed Champion set I'll buy. ASAP.

I do have seen some older that are very nice looking.

AllanSmith, whoa! nice!

hachiroku, your Chiron looks nice :)

Edited by Shiva