Digger of Bricks

LEGO Speed Champions 2020 - Rumors, Speculation, and Discussion

The Speed Champions theme is returning for a sixth year! :sweet: Thanks to @dimaks13, we now know next year will be giving us...

• 76895 (275 pieces)
  • 76896 (298 pieces)
  • 76897 (250 pieces)
  • 76898 (565 pieces)
  • 76899 (663 pieces)

Discuss and speculate away! :classic:

Right, I do have a couple of specualtions as to what 2 of the single car sets could be. One of them has to be the new Corvette C8. It's gotta be. It's been hyped for ages now and the full thing is getting publicly revealed very soon. The other one might be the Ford GT Mk II. https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/ford/gt/107220/track-only-ford-gt-mk-ii-launched-at-goodwood

If the Mk II is one of them, it won't just be a reskin of the LM-GTE racer we got back in 2017 as the real thing looks different from the race car in a few places and even has a larger rear spoiler.

Piece count has gone up from around 200 for the single car sets. Will that mean a bigger accessory piece. If so the price may go up to cover the increased pieces. :(

5 hours ago, RacerRabbit said:

One of them has to be the new Corvette C8. It's gotta be. It's been hyped for ages now and the full thing is getting publicly revealed very soon.

Soon? That's an understatement, it's being officially unveiled today!!! :moar:

Autoblog - Everything We Know About the 2020 C8 Chevy Corvette

There’s a possibility the smaller sets will stay the same price. Sets with lots of smaller parts as opposed to sets with few big parts are usually cheaper so they could just have lots of smaller pieces, maybe for props as everyone is saying?

I would totally expect a C8 set as well (best bet would be to bundle it with the C3 and include a minifigure of Zora Arkus-Duntov), except:

GM kept an INCREDIBLY tight lid on this car. There were renders based on the camo mule, but unlike with the Supra, no one *really* knew what the car looked like until it was officially revealed. So that leads me to suspect GM probably didn't share the design in advance with ANYONE. Given that it takes 1-2 years for a SC car to go from concept to release, I'm guessing we might not see an official set of the new Corvette until 2021.

As for what we might see instead: I'm thinking this is going to be the year of Aston Martin. 

- Valkyrie single

- Red Bull F1 2pk

Long shot guess: one of the most the 250-300 piece sets will be the Zupr4--you'll be able to swap parts to turn it from a Supra to a Z4 and back (this is a long shot because getting a Toyota merchandising license would be a major coup).

Finally, I side with those who expect the higher part count is going to be used to justify bumping the price point for the singles from $15 to $20+ (USD)

Edited by OpenBagTwo

4 hours ago, OpenBagTwo said:

I would totally expect a C8 set as well (best bet would be to bundle it with the C3 and include a minifigure of Zora Arkus-Duntov), except:

GM kept an INCREDIBLY tight lid on this car. There were renders based on the camo mule, but unlike with the Supra, no one *really* knew what the car looked like until it was officially revealed. So that leads me to suspect GM probably didn't share the design in advance with ANYONE. Given that it takes 1-2 years for a SC car to go from concept to release, I'm guessing we might not see an official set of the new Corvette until 2021.

Every designer in Lego is given 2 years to design 1 set. I don’t think it’ll take that long with SC? I mean don’t quote me on that. D2C designers probably need the 2 years but I wouldn’t have thought the SC designers do?

Edited by J4ck

23 hours ago, J4ck said:

I wouldn’t have thought the SC designers do?

IIRC Craig Callum gave an interview confirming the 1.5-2 year development time for SC. On the other hand, it seems unlikely that they had pictures of the McLaren 720S as early as 2015, so who knows?

37 minutes ago, OpenBagTwo said:

IIRC Craig Callum gave an interview confirming the 1.5-2 year development time for SC. On the other hand, it seems unlikely that they had pictures of the McLaren 720S as early as 2015, so who knows?

Lego would have been given special access, maybe like you say 1.5 years. I guess they might have had to speed that one up a bit?

I wouldn’t mind a Ferrari Pininfarina Sergio myself. I’m not a huge car fan, I don’t know much, what is the likihood of Lego making that?

8 hours ago, J4ck said:

I wouldn’t mind a Ferrari Pininfarina Sergio myself. I’m not a huge car fan, I don’t know much, what is the likihood of Lego making that? 

Given the previous car in the SC theme, i'd say exactly 0. It has all been hyper/muscle cars or race-cars, but all actual production stuff, no concepts/one-offs. And honestly, the concept-cars are quite obscure stuff, im a moderate car/ferrari guy, and didnt know of it (mildly ashamed to admit it)

If there is a ferrari in next year's lineup (which i hope there is!), id expect either a GTE/GT3 version of the F8 Tributo, or the SF-90 Stradale

4 hours ago, vectormatic said:

Given the previous car in the SC theme, i'd say exactly 0. It has all been hyper/muscle cars or race-cars, but all actual production stuff, no concepts/one-offs. And honestly, the concept-cars are quite obscure stuff, im a moderate car/ferrari guy, and didnt know of it (mildly ashamed to admit it)

If there is a ferrari in next year's lineup (which i hope there is!), id expect either a GTE/GT3 version of the F8 Tributo, or the SF-90 Stradale

Ahhh thanks for clarifying. I didn’t know whether concepts/obscure/one-offs had much of chance.

The Porsche 911 Turbo 3.0 has been added as the barn find in in a new expansion of Forza Horizon 4

On 7/20/2019 at 10:01 PM, Cooter said:

One of the sets could be a double Land Rover Defender, the first one and the last

I would love such a set! 

I don't think its unrealistic, since the leak of the Technic Defender (42110) the licenses is already there so it should be simple, right? :wink:

On 7/18/2019 at 2:38 AM, AllanSmith said:

Piece count has gone up from around 200 for the single car sets. Will that mean a bigger accessory piece. If so the price may go up to cover the increased pieces. :(

On thing you can count on is price increases.  Usually TLG makes their latest offerings worth it!

So, do you guys think this "leaked" set list is real?

Ferrari Road Car - £12.99

Nissan GT-R Nismo - £12.99

1985 Audi Quattro S1 - £12.99

Lambo Twin Pack - £34.99

And maybe Jaguar formula E and/or L Pace SV Race Car

I feel like it has too many new brands and the price is too low for the nearly 300 piece count

13 minutes ago, 0Marty0 said:

Lambo Twin Pack - £34.99

I feel like it has too many new brands and the price is too low for the nearly 300 piece count

Ferrari Road Car: My money is on this being the SF90 Stradale or the F8 Tributo.

Nissan GT-R: Now that's funny. I always speculated that Toyota would be the Japanese car maker to make it into the SC line. What a twist!

Audi Quattro: Okay, this is the one i'm most excited for! Group B goodness immortalized in bricks!

Lambos: I knew Lamborghini would make it eventually! I bet it'll be an Old V New set. Maybe Aventador VS Diablo?

Jaguars: I speculated a Formula E car would make it into the range. Now we get to see how Lego tackle it's design. As for the "L Pace" it's actually the i-Pace. Which does have a race version. I bet the Jags will be packaged together in a single set. This'll be quite an interesting wave if these rumors are true.

Lamborghini: Huracan GT3 & Countach

Ferrari: I'd like to have sf90 stradale and F8 tributo but are very difficult to reproduce. 

Edited by Cooter

2 hours ago, 0Marty0 said:

Lambo Twin Pack - £34.99

Could the Nissan GT-R look like mine. 

r_35_x_2.jpg

Note that "Road Car" would probably be a mistaken translation of "Stradale"

Ferrari-SF90-Stradale-articleDetailWide-

Honestly, that little mistake is what makes me inclined to believe the rumor. Ugh--there is absolutely no need for an official GT-R when the R35 is older than half the people buying the set, and there are so many literally perfect MOCs of it out there (see above).

I will say that I'd be psyched to see a Formula E car, and pairing it with an I-Pace makes sense in this context. Also will be eager to see how Lego does Lambos, which I feel like most designers feel are next to impossible to do on SC-scale (the best I've seen are JerryBuildsBricks' designs, which are city-scale).

Note that "Road Car" would probably be a mistaken translation of "Stradale"

Good catch! 

4 hours ago, OpenBagTwo said:

Ugh--there is absolutely no need for an official GT-R when the R35 is older than half the people buying the set

The R35 is from 2007... Currently you can buy a 1967 Mini, 1974 Porsche 911, 1968 Mustang, 1970 Dodge and 1987 Ferrari....

and there are so many literally perfect MOCs of it out there (see above)

Absolutely agree! 

3 hours ago, jpx said:

The R35 is from 2007... Currently you can buy a 1967 Mini, 1974 Porsche 911, 1968 Mustang, 1970 Dodge and 1987 Ferrari....

The difference is that Ford doesn't still sell Gen 1 Mustangs and--despite the jokes--a Porsche 911 you can buy today is completely different than the 930 Turbo.

It's incredibly rare for a car "generation" to last 13+ years--we're long overdue for an R36.

18 hours ago, 0Marty0 said:

Lambo Twin Pack - £34.99

Aw, no C8 Corvette Stingray? :sad:

Seriously though, who's this list from anyway? While the long-awaited inclusion of Lamborghini does sound quite exciting, pairing that also with the inclusion of Nissan coming into the fold sounds a little pandering to fan wishes for such. :def_shrug: