johnnym

[WIP] [Mod/MOC] V10 Muscle car / V10 Interceptor

Hi all,

I actually wanted to start with the presentation of my MOCs/Mods in chronological order of creation, but the upcoming release of the 42098 car transporter and the limited number of suitable cars I know of justifies to start with my modification of the 42093 Corvette, the...

V10 Muscle car

01.JPG

07.JPG

11.JPG

19.JPG

24.JPG

Believe it or not, I got the idea for this car from the Corvette's spoiler. I thought the base form of it would make a good overhanging front/hood part, i.e. like on a '69 Mustang or Camaro. When looking at the front of the blue car from the 42098 car transporter I assume other people also think the design makes a good front part.

The car is based on the Corvette's chassis and body with some modifications to allow for 10 cylinders and a more muscle car like body. It's a little shorter than the Corvette though the black rear section seems to shorten it visually even more, but the wheel base is identical.

It's WIP because of its issues (see below) and as I'm still undecided about the color of the cylinder head and the pistons and what side of the rims to use. I think the opposite of the rim side used for the Corvette fits a muscle car best, OTOH historic muscle cars also often use modern rims. Maybe I'll use both sides depending on the "mission". :classic:

I would like to build this car in all black, but as there are no black mudguards yet, I either have to wait or paint some orange ones - I mean you can buy a lot of Corvettes for one 42098, so orange ones will be the cheapest ones to sacrifice.

Issues

The front lights as well as the rear lights are a little too big IMO, especially when viewing it on the pictures, but when you hold it in your hands they don't look too oversized. The car is also not as stiff as the Corvette, for example the cabin roof is not fixed, so the car can be bend more easily than the Corvette. Same for the dashboard and the front part that is connected to the power dome. There's no hog steering installed ATM, though I think such a mechanism can still be re-installed. I steer it with my thumb. :classic: The inner part of the chassis is a little too low for a muscle car me thinks, but as it's mostly black it doesn't attract too much attention.

Features

• front grill and lights section can be modified/exchanged easily, as can be done for the rear parts, so you can create your personal look or have multiple versions of the same car. I changed the front part already multiple times and am currently preferring the configuration in the pictures.
  • number of cylinders is configurable from 6 over 8 to 10, though the timing is a little weird I assume; the fake engine is connected to the rear axle (same mechanism as in the Corvette)
  • can use various tyre/rim sizes: tyre 43 x 14 with wheel 30 x 14 (front and rear) and tyres 43.2 x 22 ZR or 49.53 x 20 with wheel 30.4 x 20 (rear only)

With a change of the driver's position, an additional interior police light, some - though not easily, if at all, recognizable :wink: - modifications to the engine to further improve its power output and some exterior addons/changes like a different grill section with four head lights, a bumper guard to handle obstacles, bigger 49.53 x 20 tyres at the rear axle to actually bring the additional engine power to the road, four exhaust pipes to allow the upgraded engine to breath freely and finally a huge wing to keep the rear on the road, it becomes the...

V10 Interceptor

01.JPG

04.JPG

14.JPG

25.JPG

34.JPG

I think Max would like it. :laugh:

Instructions

Sorry not yet, but if there's demand I can give it a try. I have another Corvette available to disassemble for it, but am still undecided what tool to use (photo series, stud.io, etc.). Maybe interested people will also just find out what to modify on the Corvette with some additional pictures of the underside and some additional perspectives in detail.

So what do you think? A car worthy to be transported with the 42098?

11 minutes ago, I_Igor said:

It looks better than 42093 set IMHO

Thanks! Hey, two extra cylinders really make a huge difference. :wink:

As we're already at it: what about the engine colors? Pistons in brown and yellow, cylinder head in blue or everything in gray? I think yellow has some appeal with the remaining orange/black coloring of the car, but gray engine parts aren't bad either. I should maybe build a second one for better judgment.

BTW, gray also looks good on the rims, but I don't yet have gray rims for the front wheels, so no picture for that. I also tested the Model Team 30 x 13 wheels (mostly from 5590), and though the rims actually look pretty good IMO, the tires I have for them look - let's say - "interesting".

Honest I'm no fan of that axle based fake engines, but shape for muscle car is better achieved than Lego for Corvette ... Despite that today new C8 with mid engine is revealed.

Black rims look cool, s d all black could be like one Charger from Fast And furious (with 2 extra cylinders)...

On 7/19/2019 at 4:03 AM, I_Igor said:

It looks better than 42093 set IMHO

I agree as well this thing looks great. I have 2 of these set since I love all the orange pieces and the wheels/tire combo included.

If you make instructions I will definitely rebuild mine. Only mods I would make is deleting the axle based engine. I'm just not a fan of the way it looks. Maybe I'll create a brick based power plant and opening hood. This set is just a display piece to me. I'd give up technic fuctionality to have a more realistic model.

On 7/19/2019 at 11:59 AM, I_Igor said:

Honest I'm no fan of that axle based fake engines, but shape for muscle car is better achieved than Lego for Corvette ... Despite that today new C8 with mid engine is revealed.

Yeah ok, I agree, those axle based fake engines are more something for children. But I think it's a nice extra on cars of that scale. I mean look at how the pistons are basically "flying" in @kbalage's two videos (1, 2) about his two RC mods of the 42093 b model.

Although my nephew and nice weren't that impressed by the muscle car/interceptor when they first saw it months ago - so I could be wrong with axle based fake engines being something for children - I believe the main reason was that they had two RC MOCs/mods of mine to play with in addition at the same day, so the non-RC muscle car didn't got much love that day. :wink:

BTW, didn't knew a new Corvette was on the way, thanks for the pointer. Looks like a McLaren F1. Why the hell did they change the setup of that iconic car? *oh2*

On 7/19/2019 at 11:59 AM, I_Igor said:

Black rims look cool, s d all black could be like one Charger from Fast And furious (with 2 extra cylinders)...

Sorry, what does "s d" stand for?

And I actually had a Charger in mind when I started to think about this mod, but later changed my mind to a more generic muscle car. I wonder if one could make a good looking Mustang based on it.

9 hours ago, ScaleCarModels said:

I agree as well this thing looks great. I have 2 of these set since I love all the orange pieces and the wheels/tire combo included.

Thanks :classic:, and I fully agree with the orange/black color combination, it always reminds me of the Picard Piranha in Interstate 76 - if someone still remembers that classic game.

9 hours ago, ScaleCarModels said:

If you make instructions I will definitely rebuild mine. Only mods I would make is deleting the axle based engine. I'm just not a fan of the way it looks. Maybe I'll create a brick based power plant and opening hood. This set is just a display piece to me. I'd give up technic fuctionality to have a more realistic model.

I think an engine like in the 10265 would be nice for display, as would be a real opening hood. About the instructions: I'll definitely try to create some when building it in black.

BTW, you might have already guessed that, because of the way the photos are made: I also have 360 views of the V10 Muscle car and V10 Interceptor. I didn't find a way to embed these into a post, so just head over to:

http://pub.clusterd.net/lego/technic/mocs/v10-muscle-car/

...and/or:

http://pub.clusterd.net/lego/technic/mocs/v10-interceptor/

...to view them.

Sorry for the - from time to time - shaky camera and alternating lighting.

Hi! A while ago I redesigned the front grill and lights section and the rear of the muscle car. I think the lights now have a more realistic size - except maybe for the "huge" indicator lights at the front, but hey, safety first. :wink: I now also went for the 43.2 x 22 ZR with wheel 30.4 x 20 standard on the rear axle and the spoked side of all wheels facing the inside of the car also standard. The wheels on the rear axle protrude a little - maybe a little too much - on each side, but it doesn't look too bad in my opinion. I'm still using the stock rear axle of the 42093 Corvette, so this can't be changed until I change the axle (like I did for my (re)interpretation of the sports car of the 42098 set). I also tried the wheels in gray, but black just fits the color scheme better. Maybe gray wheels would better fit an all black or a red version (red fenders already ordered! :classic:). Nearly forgot: I did invest in black bushes for the wheels and it really looks better than with gray ones.

Enough for the description, here are fresh shots from today, hope you like it:

P1010003.JPGP1010004.JPGP1010005.JPGP1010006.JPGP1010007.JPG

Sorry, no progress with the instructions, but I did another MOC of mine (bigger but with less parts) for a start in bricklink's Studio and gained enough experience with this tool to consider a digital model of this MOC/mod absolutely doable. But still, it'll cost me a lot of time I'm afraid, so bear with me a little longer.

Woah, I really like this car, :wub: 
When the instructions will be out I will build it to fit on 42098.

On 7/20/2019 at 10:11 PM, johnnym said:

@kbalage

Sorry, what does "s d" stand for?

It should have been written "and" but my smartphone has (sometimes) mind of its own...

Mustang could be kind of copy of this year's original mustang set...

On 8/10/2019 at 9:45 PM, Touc4nx said:

Woah, I really like this car, :wub: 
When the instructions will be out I will build it to fit on 42098.

On 8/10/2019 at 10:07 PM, LEGO Train 12 Volts said:

Very fascinating and very sleek! :wub_drool:

Thank you both.

The last days I worked on a digital model (using Studio) of the muscle car and I think it is ready now. I took the liberty to change a few things here and there (e.g. I changed the interior coloring to black and dark bluish gray and did some building improvements - at least I hope so :wink:), so it won't exactly resemble the last "real life" shots in all details. I made three versions so far:

• black and orange version (Studio, LDraw) (with all parts available)

v10-muscle-car.jpg

• black version (Studio, LDraw) (black mudguards are unavailable so far, but could be created using (spray) paint I assume)

v10-muscle-car-black.jpg

• red version (Studio, LDraw) EDIT: (red roof panel is unavailable as I just found out during checking the inventory for any non-existing color versions - bummer, that was really unexpected :cry_sad:) (with all parts available)

v10-muscle-car-red.jpg

There are two uncommon - at least I assume they are uncommon nowadays - part types: 4 x black bushes to fix the wheels and 4 x black pins w/friction ridges and w/o center slots to fix the sideskirts to the mudguards. I assume the remainder of the parts should be common, though some of the transparent parts I used are from the 1990ies or even older.

Again sorry, still no "real" instructions yet, though I separated most of the build into steps and used a lot of sub-models, so you should be able to build it using (1) the automatically created instructions from Studio or using (2) the step view or using (3) the design mode. I "built" the digital version from the underside to the top and then rotated it - that's why the following rendering of the chassis is so dark (it was below the surface and rotated 180 degrees). I hope this doesn't create trouble during building. Let me know if something doesn't work as expected or the models still contain errors.

@ScaleCarModels: I definitely want to see your engine in this car! :classic:

v10-muscle-car-chassis.jpg

Edited by johnnym
Updates

On 8/10/2019 at 9:46 PM, I_Igor said:

It should have been written "and" but my smartphone has (sometimes) mind of its own...

I see, I thought it could be some abbreviation that a newcomer like me doesn't know yet. :wink:

I actually started to mod the muscle car to look more like a Mustang. Now that I have a digital model of it, I don't need to remember it's original shape, which allows for more freedom in the mod process.

But I went for a later Mustang version than the 10265 - I have something like this in mind. To allow for more visual inconsistencies with the real Mustang - i.e. me being unable to come up with a good match :wink: - I might still label it the Phaedra Palomino (a fictional car from the Interstate '76 game based on the Mustang) instead. Pictures will follow.

On 8/11/2019 at 11:26 AM, Mechbuilds said:

Needs to be modded to be RC next :devil:

I'd love to see that! But maybe not from me, but from a more experienced builder. Though I managed to squeeze two PF L motors over the rear axle in a modification of @grohl's Race Pickup, I'm not sure this is possible with the muscle car. The race pickup has just more space available there, even when removing the differential. Maybe a configuration like in this RC mod of the 42093 Corvette (check the instructions for details) could work.

Or do you already have an idea for a speedy RC mod of the muscle car? :sweet:

I now updated the red version to only use really existing parts. So now two versions can be build without modifying existing parts. Also added LDraw exports in addition to the already existing Studio files.

If someone has a cool new color scheme with existing parts in mind, I'd like to see a picture. :classic:

On 8/14/2019 at 12:40 AM, johnnym said:

I actually started to mod the muscle car to look more like a Mustang. Now that I have a digital model of it, I don't need to remember it's original shape, which allows for more freedom in the mod process.

But I went for a later Mustang version than the 10265 - I have something like this in mind. To allow for more visual inconsistencies with the real Mustang - i.e. me being unable to come up with a good match :wink: - I might still label it the Phaedra Palomino (a fictional car from the Interstate '76 game based on the Mustang) instead. Pictures will follow.

Ok, I think I have something to show: Here's the finished "Mustang" modification of the muscle car. As it doesn't resemble a 1970 Ford Mustang in all aspects, I'll go fictional and continue to use the Phaedra Palomino moniker - Phaedra Palomino Mach 2 to be exact - not to be confused with the Ford Mustang Mach 2 concept car. :wink:

fastback-01.JPGfastback-02.JPGfastback-03.JPG

What do you think? I think I should maybe start a new thread...

Edited by johnnym
Updated picture URLs

So I did another body mod of the muscle car but am unsure about the looks, so post it in this thread first. It should resemble one of the Aero Warriors, specifically the last one: the Plymouth Roadrunner Superbird. Maybe not a beauty, but surely an iconic car:

P1010008.JPGP1010009.JPGP1010010.JPG

It might be be a little uber-long at the front and maybe also at the rear, but I wanted to use these specific panels at the front at all cost, because they got me started to build this car.

The chassis is nearly identical to the muscle car's one, except for the rear axle which is a copy of the rear axle of my mod of the blue car in the 42098 set to allow the wider wheels with the spoked side of the rims facing inwards. I did not finish the engine to save some time during the build. I maybe should close that part up anyhow for the aerodynamics. I built it using the digital model of the muscle car and the auto-generated instructions. For this car I simplified the rear part.

What do you think, worth a separate thread and 360° shots? And should I also make a digital model of it?

On 12/27/2020 at 5:15 PM, Djon said:

Когда будет инструкция

Sorry, but I can't speak nor read Russian. From Google Translate I figured you might ask for when the instructions are ready? Sorry, but I didn't create real instructions for these three models, but you can find the digital models (created with Studio) on Rebrickable, HTH: