I present my latest Lego Technic MOC. And this is my entry to TC 16 contest. This is the Mars rover model from the movie The Martian with Matt Damon. The model is 100% Lego controlled by S-Brick.

640x360.jpg 640x360.jpg 640x360.jpg

When I watched the movie Martian with Matt Damon, his Martian vehicle caught my eye.

But I could not build it at that time. Several years later. When I saw an original vehicle in the museum during a vacation in Jordan. I took a lot of pictures of details.

And I got the idea to try and build this vehicle with motors in wheels. I knew that I would have to build rims myself from the available bricks.

PF L motor is the best as a construction element, because it has a lot of holes. Round panels which I used fit the power puller tires.

The biggest problem was the addition of a round plate from the outside of the wheel.

The connection was good for driving straight ahead but after a few turns it got disconnected. So I added a few stickers on the edge of the rim. And now it works perfectly.

640x360.jpg 640x360.jpg 640x360.jpg 640x360.jpg 640x360.jpg

I tried to reproduce all the functions of the original vehicle. It has two mechanical functions, winch and crane rotation. And a pneumatically controlled door and crane.

4 x PF L for propulsion build in-wheels

1x PF L for compressor

1x PF M for steering

1x PF M for winch and crane

weight 2.77 kg

length 50 cm

width 33 cm

height 21 cm

640x360.jpg 640x360.jpg 640x360.jpg 640x360.jpg 640x360.jpg

Edited by Samolot

Very interesting way you incorporate motor inside wheel :thumbup:

Thanks. Can someone help mi with link to youtube. I am trying to paste link in many different ways but miniature is not working.

Seems a privacy problem. Take look into the settings of the vid to make it able to embed.

Awesome!

Requesting for instructions, especially, for wheel mount.

Edited by Ox1337
typo

16 hours ago, Samolot said:

So I added a few stickers on the edge of the rim. And now it works perfectly.

That's awesome! stickers for structural integrity! I would have given up thinking it couldn't be done.

This is a great build. 

not sure how everyone builds so quick. That's why I have a snail in my avatar pic.

If only there were more official space/sci-fi sets like this.

I don't think you need it, but good luck for TC16!

Very unique propulsion system, did the PP tires suffer any damage from it? Great rendition of the original, love the use of pneumatics and yellow tubes to recreate the original.

On 7/18/2019 at 3:10 PM, syclone said:

Very unique propulsion system, did the PP tires suffer any damage from it? Great rendition of the original, love the use of pneumatics and yellow tubes to recreate the original.

Thank you for all the positive reviews. As for the tires, I do not think they will be damaged. But if I put the model back on the shelf. I'll take them off.

Very nice! When I was originally considering whether I would enter TC16, this was exactly what I was thinking of building! Glad I didn't, because you've done a much better job than I would have :thumbup:

Your video isn't working, in the entry topic. Let me know how I can fix it.

3 hours ago, Jim said:

Your video isn't working, in the entry topic. Let me know how I can fix it.

I forgot to change link to the new movie. I am sorry this is the new one. www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIsbAvWqrmE

I made instructions for my In-wheel motor rim design. If anyone would like to use it or experiment with this project, I invite you to build.

Wow, that's really awesome man! Very creative solution to the hub motors. I wish Lego would do more space vehicles like this in the Technic theme