I assume the Ninjago is ending thing is fake considering it's arguably Lego's most popular theme

18 hours ago, Killian said:

I assume the Ninjago is ending thing is fake considering it's arguably Lego's most popular theme

LEGO has been brutal with cutting themes in the past, but given they’ve already begun work on 2022 content, I’d say we will have Ninjago at least until then. 

As a general rule, if someone says “LEGO Announces ‘such and such’” don’t take it as fact unless there’s evidence of LEGO actually saying it. 

Yeah, I think that rumor is pretty clearly fake - Ninjago is again, an evergreen theme, and the celebration of its tenth year anniversary next year doesn't show signs of slowing down. If a theme is being retired, it rarely if ever will go out with a bang - they simply wouldn't put so much budget into a theme they were planning to retire (see Bionicle, etc).

54 minutes ago, DuckBricks said:

Yeah, I think that rumor is pretty clearly fake - Ninjago is again, an evergreen theme, and the celebration of its tenth year anniversary next year doesn't show signs of slowing down. If a theme is being retired, it rarely if ever will go out with a bang - they simply wouldn't put so much budget into a theme they were planning to retire (see Bionicle, etc).

Yet all sets from the Ninjago Movie retired...

18 minutes ago, JintaiZ said:

Yet all sets from the Ninjago Movie retired...

What’s that supposed to mean? The movie came out three years ago, of course they are all retired by now. That means nothing.

I don’t think Ninjago is ending soon at this rate. Now, if the 4 sets per season sticks and legacy sets go down, then we’re in trouble. Right now, it’s fine.

11 minutes ago, NetherCreeper said:

What’s that supposed to mean? The movie came out three years ago, of course they are all retired by now. That means nothing.

I don’t think Ninjago is ending soon at this rate. Now, if the 4 sets per season sticks and legacy sets go down, then we’re in trouble. Right now, it’s fine.

They could continue the movie...

On ‎9‎/‎17‎/‎2020 at 5:29 AM, Killian said:

Yep, don't think it's ending :)

25 minutes ago, Guyon2002 said:

The movie bombed, why continue something that performed so poorly? 

Many people liked the movie

13 minutes ago, JintaiZ said:

Many people liked the movie

It scored a 6 and a 5.6 on IMDB and Rotten Tomatoes respectively. On top of that the movie made a mere 123 million dollars on a 70 million budget. It wasn't well received and it flopped harder than a fish on dry land, no wonder they didn't bother continuing the story :laugh_hard:

39 minutes ago, Guyon2002 said:

It scored a 6 and a 5.6 on IMDB and Rotten Tomatoes respectively. On top of that the movie made a mere 123 million dollars on a 70 million budget. It wasn't well received and it flopped harder than a fish on dry land, no wonder they didn't bother continuing the story :laugh_hard:

Then again, 89% likes the show. That's a lot.

8 minutes ago, JintaiZ said:

Then again, 89% likes the show. That's a lot.

Which is exactly why the show is still going strong and TLNM has been put out of comission. They may be similar and share the same main characters but you have to remember that they are 2 seperate things, one succeeded and one didn't. 

1 hour ago, Guyon2002 said:

Which is exactly why the show is still going strong and TLNM has been put out of comission. They may be similar and share the same main characters but you have to remember that they are 2 seperate things, one succeeded and one didn't. 

Actually... on Rotten Tomatoes it did say 5.6/10...

I guess people have different opinions...

Edited by JintaiZ

3 hours ago, Guyon2002 said:

Resist . . urge to rant .  . about how terrible . . that movie was . .  :head_back:

2 hours ago, Guyon2002 said:

You mean Lloyd (and his technicolor backup dancers)? I wouldn’t even call them the same characters, they just have the same names.

The Lego Ninjago Movie series brought me out of my dark ages.  There was just something I couldn't resist about those mechs and I've watched that movie with my kids dozens of times.  I wish it had been more successful and spawned a sequel but I can still enjoy some of the coolest and most detailed sets I've ever seen.  I'm really looking forward to the rumored expansion to Ninjago City!  

16 hours ago, DuckBricks said:

Ninjago is not an evergreen theme for a few reasons. First off, it has a TV series going on, which they can't keep continuing forever without the audience loosing interest in it. Unlike something like say, LEGO City, in which you can continue endlessly re-releasing the same sets over and over again, Ninjago is a story-driven theme and needs to constantly do something new each year, which again, they can't do forever. Secondly, if the line isn't profitable anymore, LEGO will just quickly cancel it without a second thought (they've done that numerous times with other themes). Judging by the fact that Ninjago was nowhere to be seen on LEGO's financial report for more than two years now, I think it's pretty obvious that LEGO is quietly planning it's eventual end, which may or may not be next year, depending on how good the sales are gonna be. 

1 hour ago, Lego David said:

Ninjago is not an evergreen theme for a few reasons. First off, it has a TV series going on, which they can't keep continuing forever without the audience loosing interest in it. Unlike something like say, LEGO City, in which you can continue endlessly re-releasing the same sets over and over again, Ninjago is a story-driven theme and needs to constantly do something new each year, which again, they can't do forever. Secondly, if the line isn't profitable anymore, LEGO will just quickly cancel it without a second thought (they've done that numerous times with other themes). Judging by the fact that Ninjago was nowhere to be seen on LEGO's financial report for more than two years now, I think it's pretty obvious that LEGO is quietly planning it's eventual end, which may or may not be next year, depending on how good the sales are gonna be. 

People also seem to be forgetting that LEGO doesn't really need to end Ninjago on a high note storywise. Ninjago: Masters of Spinjitzu is over, it got it's ending with March of the Oni. The soft reboot / continuation we're getting now is simply Ninjago and hasn't been doing all that well, it also hasn't really been around for that long so LEGO could really pull the plug as soon as they want to without worrying about the story. 

5 hours ago, Lego David said:

All good points other than the fact that LEGO has stated the Ninjago *is* an Evergreen theme. It's current run may end be here in the next few years, but it is confirmed to go through 2022 so far. It may end for a bit and come back. But it is evergreen. 

Also, just because it didn't show up on Lego's Finanical Report isn't nearly enough info to draw that conclusion. 

3 hours ago, LegendsOfNinjago said:

All good points other than the fact that LEGO has stated the Ninjago *is* an Evergreen theme. It's current run may end be here in the next few years, but it is confirmed to go through 2022 so far. It may end for a bit and come back. But it is evergreen. 

Also, just because it didn't show up on Lego's Finanical Report isn't nearly enough info to draw that conclusion. 

Usually when themes end, they don't come back...

Except for Harry Potter

13 hours ago, Lego David said:

All of those make sense, except LEGO's Ninjago display in the LEGO House in Billund specifically calls it evergreen, plus their employee-exclusive magazines have explicitly called it evergreen since 2015. That being said, you make some good points and I'm curious how long it will even last - although I highly doubt it's anywhere close to ending.

Ninjago is a very big marketed theme still, with Legacy going strong, I don't see it end anytime soon.

Even if the main sets would end, Legacy alone could continue sets for at least 5 years if they wanted to.

Legacy is big enough to have it's own Magazine line, so I sort of consider it as it's own theme seperate from the new Ninjago.

Or perhaps more like one of the main branches, like Creator Expert has yearly Modulars/Vehicles/Fairground Rides which before 18+ were under the Creator Expert theme name.

Edited by TeriXeri

16 hours ago, Guyon2002 said:

People also seem to be forgetting that LEGO doesn't really need to end Ninjago on a high note storywise. Ninjago: Masters of Spinjitzu is over, it got it's ending with March of the Oni. The soft reboot / continuation we're getting now is simply Ninjago and hasn't been doing all that well, it also hasn't really been around for that long so LEGO could really pull the plug as soon as they want to without worrying about the story. 

This is a very good point. The Ninjago seasons have been very insular. The events of the season don’t impact the world of Ninjago Or the characters like the Masters of Spinjitzu seasons did. They really feel like ‘slice of life’ events that keep the ninja busy and us entertained after they’ve reached the dizzying heights of defeating the Oni. They really could just chop the theme now and we wouldn’t be left with many unanswered questions, just a significant hole in many hearts, my own included.

Again, I know LEGO can be brutal with cutting themes, but from the sounds of the tweets from developers and designers on the theme, it doesn’t sound like they are slowing Ninjago down at the moment. I believe Andreasen said that he’s practically ‘breathing Ninjago at the moment,’ which doesn’t sound like they’re wrapping them up just yet. But I was young and out of the loop when Bionicle was axed, so I don’t know about the internal politics that went on before its demise and if there are any parallels to Ninjago now. 

On the topic of the movie, it’ll be interesting to see, assuming Ninjago will be around for a few more years, if we’ll get Legacy sets based on the movie or if they’ll focus solely on the sets based on the show

1 hour ago, Tobias_Jay said:

This is a very good point. The Ninjago seasons have been very insular. The events of the season don’t impact the world of Ninjago Or the characters like the Masters of Spinjitzu seasons did. They really feel like ‘slice of life’ events that keep the ninja busy and us entertained after they’ve reached the dizzying heights of defeating the Oni. They really could just chop the theme now and we wouldn’t be left with many unanswered questions, just a significant hole in many hearts, my own included.

Uh . . I don’t disagree with considering the Ninjago seasons to be insular - if anything, the current state of the show does remind me of the period between Rebooted and Hands of Time when the show runners were worried that any given season might be the last - there’s actually quite a lot of unanswered questions in the show at present. We haven’t seen Pythor since he vanished in Day of the Departed with an ominous promise to Lloyd, Garmadon has been AWOL since March of the Oni, Krux and Acronix were thrown somewhere into the future and will probably come out of a wormhole sooner or later, and in the most recent season, Vangelis was mining Vengestone and shipping it off to an as-yet-unknown buyer.
Obviously we can’t be sure that the plot line that seems to have started there won’t wrap up in the 2021 waves - for all I know, the four show sets we have names for, the Lloyd buggy, Jungle Dragon, Keeper Village and Catamaran, might be about Pythor and Garmadon together . . I don’t know, using the catamaran to ship the Vengestone they need to build an altar to summon an ancient evil plant dragon that the Keepers on a distant island, who turn out to be the descendants of Krux and Acronix who were actually thrown far back into the past, have kept contained for generations. (That’s just me spitballing, mind,) I’m not saying that would be a good ending, but it’d certainly be an ending that resolved all the plot threads. 

Still, it does seem to me like Ninjago’s warming up for its third major cross-season story arc (fourth if you count the vague connections that exist between Tournament of Elements, Ghost Story and Skybound). Though I guess we’ll know more depending on what happens in Winter 2021.

Edited by Fenghuang0296

2 hours ago, Tobias_Jay said:

They really could just chop the theme now and we wouldn’t be left with many unanswered questions, just a significant hole in many hearts, my own included.

There's plenty of unanswered questions left, but either they aren't considered high enough priority to be answered or they're leaving them open for as long as possible to stretch the show out. Probably both.

7 hours ago, DuckBricks said:

All of those make sense, except LEGO's Ninjago display in the LEGO House in Billund specifically calls it evergreen, plus their employee-exclusive magazines have explicitly called it evergreen since 2015. That being said, you make some good points and I'm curious how long it will even last - although I highly doubt it's anywhere close to ending.

But then again, that was five years ago, and things have probably changed since then. 2015-2016 was the peak of Ninjago's popularity, and calling it an "evergreen theme" during that period wouldn't surprise me. However, as I pointed out earlier, it's pretty clear that the Ninjago sales have declined in the past few years, since it's no longer featured on any of the TLG financial reports. 

1 hour ago, Lego David said:

But then again, that was five years ago, and things have probably changed since then. 2015-2016 was the peak of Ninjago's popularity, and calling it an "evergreen theme" during that period wouldn't surprise me. However, as I pointed out earlier, it's pretty clear that the Ninjago sales have declined in the past few years, since it's no longer featured on any of the TLG financial reports. 

Because it doesn't appear on the financial reports, it doesn't mean that the sales have declined. What if the sales were raised more in the other themes than they were in Ninjago? Eitherway, I might not be a marketing expert, but I know for a fact that a company wouldn't get rid of a steady source of income that easily. They soft-rebooted the series because they're planning to keep the show going for much longer. Ninjago was also recently called an "Evergreen Theme" with the launch of the legacy line. Let's also not forget that other than the sets, they also have the show, two (at least) magazines, a card game, a sticker collection and much more. I understand the mentality "It's been around for so long, it has to end eventually" but realistically, I don't see it ending anytime soon.