It’s played both ways. You can use The paper game board or just the sets, or use both together. That way the smaller sets still give you a full playable game despite their limited size.

Pop together all the sets into the full game and you won’t need the paper to get a longer game out of it, but if you just get the dragon it the journey set, they wouldn’t exactly give you enough of a board to be fun on their own. This way people who can only get the smaller sets aren’t missing out.

17 hours ago, HalfBloodPrince said:

Including a S3 Zane instead of Lloyd in the Kai Fighter or made a Ninjacopter remake wouldve been perfect to include Zane.

Believe me, I agree. This year's new Legacy costumes are so poorly distributed... Kai only comes in one set, Cole and Jay only come in another, but Lloyd appears in both of those as well as a set with only him? There's so much that feels incomprehensible about the Jungle Raider set in particular, from the fact that it doesn't even include a single antagonist to the fact that the only fig is a Lloyd who comes in two other sets to the fact that it was released directly alongside the similarly named Thunder Raider.

Compared to last year's Legacy sets (which, granted, had a whole wave to themselves instead of sharing waves with other Ninjago story arcs), there's so little rhyme or reason to which sets got updated this year. But again, I can only hope that if the "Legacy" sub-brand continues, that might help to make up for the things that this year's sets skipped over. If they can double back to Season 2 for the Golden Mech and Destiny's Bounty sets this year, then there's technically nothing stopping them from filling in some of the gaps in Season 3 and 4 with some additional sets next year.

Heck, even this year there might still be room for a surprise. With Ninjago City and Ninjago City Docks retired now there's still a vacant niche for a Ninjago D2C set. Which isn't to say that niche will be filled this year or at all, but it remains a possibility especially since Lego has generally been better about securing leaks this year than they have been in previous years.

Considering the fact that the 2020 Legacy suits are based off of Tournament of Elements, I'm not surprised that neither Nya nor Zane have suits to match. But since they aren't those suits, I don't quite understand the logic.

I feel this way about a lot of Legacy minifigs. Sure these 2020 sets were in the design stages in 2019, when everyone wasn't sure Legacy would even continue, but I feel from here on out, the subtheme should focus on minifig accuracy as well, as is suiting of a subtheme that touts the name "Legacy."

I've been rousing people up about this with the #WeWantAccurateLegacyMinifigs campaign on some social media, hoping for some Pink Zane quality minifigs for Legacy in the future.

3 hours ago, PenPlays said:

Considering the fact that the 2020 Legacy suits are based off of Tournament of Elements, I'm not surprised that neither Nya nor Zane have suits to match. But since they aren't those suits, I don't quite understand the logic.

I feel this way about a lot of Legacy minifigs. Sure these 2020 sets were in the design stages in 2019, when everyone wasn't sure Legacy would even continue, but I feel from here on out, the subtheme should focus on minifig accuracy as well, as is suiting of a subtheme that touts the name "Legacy."

I've been rousing people up about this with the #WeWantAccurateLegacyMinifigs campaign on some social media, hoping for some Pink Zane quality minifigs for Legacy in the future.

Not gonna lie, that's the OPPOSITE of what I want. Getting new, updated takes on those classic costumes is much more interesting to me as a long time collector than getting the same exact versions (or incrementally adjusted versions) of the figures I'd already gotten years ago. Even Pink Zane was a bit of a letdown for me, especially since it was the only Zane we got in any of the Prime Empire sets (instead of a brand-new Digi-suit or Avatar like the other Ninja got). The fact that the Legacy costumes feature new details to better differentiate the ninja from one another is an asset in my book.

Also, I'd assumed that the new Legacy costumes were meant to substitute for both the Tournament of Elements costumes as well as the "Rebooted" costumes. Considering that, a Zane that draws from Zane's Rebooted costume and is designed to complement the other Legacy suits from this year would be quite nice. Heck, maybe even a new Titanium Zane as well—I'd love to see a new take on the Titanium Dragon, given how good dragons have gotten in recent years.

like are "accurate" legacy figs really that important? older designs are neat but its not like they're perfect or worth replicating exactly; some of the redesigns (stone warrior, nindroid, skeletons to some degree) work better for the figs and honestly the new tournament outfits are a neat way to get in more costumes while improving the old costumes. of course i'd love a fig i missed back then or one lego hasn't made though

speaking of which, if they're remaking tournament sets next year this is their chance to make dojo showdown bigger...

8 hours ago, Lyichir said:

Believe me, I agree. This year's new Legacy costumes are so poorly distributed... Kai only comes in one set, Cole and Jay only come in another, but Lloyd appears in both of those as well as a set with only him? There's so much that feels incomprehensible about the Jungle Raider set in particular, from the fact that it doesn't even include a single antagonist to the fact that the only fig is a Lloyd who comes in two other sets to the fact that it was released directly alongside the similarly named Thunder Raider.

Yeah there needed to be a cultist

7 minutes ago, Pirean_Grammaticul said:

like are "accurate" legacy figs really that important? older designs are neat but its not like they're perfect or worth replicating exactly; some of the redesigns (stone warrior, nindroid, skeletons to some degree)  work better for the figs

Well each Legacy set should have at least one villain. I disagree with your analysis of the Stone Warror and Nindroids. The Nindroids are largely the same so i can't tell if there's much of an upgrade, like just different for being different. The Skulkin are actually my favorite change, though there needed to be more variety. The Stone Warriors though are aweful. They lost what made them unique. the loss of the red and blue face markings to be replaced with just yellow and green is a bit depressing. Also the new face prints have these larger noses which are a bit off putting. For the worst thing though, those face guards just don't work. They're too slim, they even advertise the sets with the old face guard!

Edited by Thedarkmaster2

4 hours ago, PenPlays said:

Oh yes Pen. YES

1 hour ago, Lyichir said:

Heck, maybe even a new Titanium Zane as well—I'd love to see a new take on the Titanium Dragon, given how good dragons have gotten in recent years.

The Titanium Dragon was the set that brought me out of my Dark Age back in 2015. It’s one of my all-time favourites and I would adore a Legacy upgrade akin to the Storm Fighter, Kai Fighter or Ultra Dragon. 

2 hours ago, Lyichir said:

Not gonna lie, that's the OPPOSITE of what I want. Getting new, updated takes on those classic costumes is much more interesting to me as a long time collector than getting the same exact versions (or incrementally adjusted versions) of the figures I'd already gotten years ago. Even Pink Zane was a bit of a letdown for me, especially since it was the only Zane we got in any of the Prime Empire sets (instead of a brand-new Digi-suit or Avatar like the other Ninja got). The fact that the Legacy costumes feature new details to better differentiate the ninja from one another is an asset in my book.

The first Legacy suits don't really look like the original suits at all though, aside from maybe Kai's. They're less updated takes, and more just totally new suits. 

Edited by GarmaFan

12 minutes ago, GarmaFan said:

The first Legacy suits don't really look like the original suits at all though, aside from maybe Kai's. They're less updated takes, and more just totally new suits. 

True, but you can still recognise them as being at least inspired by the DX suits. 

I guess the paper is just an extension for the game, they know that the set itself as a game won't really provide hour(s) of gameplay, so they included this to make it longer and more fun. 

I'd love to see some Legacy remakes of some of the older Villain vehicles, such as the Skeleton and Serpentine vehicles. All of the Legacy remakes we have gotten so far are just remakes of the Ninja's vehicles.

9 hours ago, Lego David said:

I'd love to see some Legacy remakes of some of the older Villain vehicles, such as the Skeleton and Serpentine vehicles. All of the Legacy remakes we have gotten so far are just remakes of the Ninja's vehicles.

The first of its kind is in that new 4+ set coming out (Fangpyre Truck) but it doesn't even remotely do the original justice. Villains make-or-break the theme for so many people, and, especially with Legacy, I wish LEGO put more effort into them.

56 minutes ago, PenPlays said:

The first of its kind is in that new 4+ set coming out (Fangpyre Truck) but it doesn't even remotely do the original justice. Villains make-or-break the theme for so many people, and, especially with Legacy, I wish LEGO put more effort into them.

I completely agree. They should revisit the villain stuff more often. The Serpentine had small side builds in the 2019 Legacy sets. Why not expand on it a bit? They could have at least put a small Nindroid flyer in with the Thunder Raider or Kai Fighter, that would have made things more fair.

On 5/9/2020 at 5:00 AM, THELEGOBATMAN said:

I guess the paper is just an extension for the game, they know that the set itself as a game won't really provide hour(s) of gameplay, so they included this to make it longer and more fun. 

I think the more specific reason is to make the sets with the dice spinner playable if you don't have all of the sets. In particular, the biggest set is the only one that feels like it could provide a reasonably full game experience on its own—the other three sets with dice spinners (71717, 71719, and 71721) only have smaller "modules" that, on their own, probably wouldn't provide much of a game experience without other sets to connect them to otherwise. So for those smaller sets, including a paper extension for the game allows you to get a better "feel" for the gameplay, and hopefully leave you with a positive experience that incentivizes you to pick up some of the other sets to add to the game.

On 5/8/2020 at 10:18 AM, Lyichir said:

Also, I'd assumed that the new Legacy costumes were meant to substitute for both the Tournament of Elements costumes as well as the "Rebooted" costumes. Considering that, a Zane that draws from Zane's Rebooted costume and is designed to complement the other Legacy suits from this year would be quite nice. Heck, maybe even a new Titanium Zane as well—I'd love to see a new take on the Titanium Dragon, given how good dragons have gotten in recent years.

Definitely agree with most everything said here. Sometimes I’m unsure wether my opinion would be different if I was new to Ninjago and didn’t have any of the original suit designs, but I definitely prefer new hybrid suit designs to gussied up versions of old ones. I would quietly argue that they should have faces and hair that closer resemble their pre-season 8 looks, maybe that’s something they can implement for future waves. I was a little disappointed that Young Lloyd in the Destiny’s Bounty set has green eyes as opposed to the black ones, that shows a deliberate desire to retain uniformity with the current line rather than reference the old designs. I do understand that reintroducing old hair moulds and face prints costs money that LEGO clearly don’t want to spend though.

Before we had pictures of the new Legacy sets, I was really hoping that we’d get a Titanium Zane in the Legacy 2 suits so we could get his new hairpiece in silver, so I don’t have to keep re applying silver sharpie to one of my spare hairpieces. 

22 hours ago, Pirean_Grammaticul said:

on that note, wonder if lego could notch jay's eyebrow; a simple way to make jay look distinct with the already existing unique faces

There was a dragon flyer early preliminary box art that had Jay with a new scar on his face. I’m so upset they scrapped it.

32 minutes ago, HalfBloodPrince said:

The bounty has a interior

We've known that for more than 2 weeks though

4 minutes ago, HalfBloodPrince said:

Yeah but people kept saying it didnt

Pictures clearly show a dojo interior in the little house thingy (idk what it's called)

On 5/6/2020 at 10:00 AM, Lyichir said:

In descriptions on a Czech shop site they were described as "shadow sword of deliverance" and "ivory sword of deliverance" (obviously Google translated so the actual English names may vary). Both actually appear in the biggest set of the wave—you can spot the other behind the very clever "lava fall" entrance to the cave.

This coming wave is actually comparatively light on "collect them all" style MacGuffins.

EDIT: Just editing because I noticed something about this coming story arc. Is it just me or is it one of the best so far when it comes to the distribution of the six ninja? All six of them appear in at least two sets each—Nya, who is often the least common ninja (which never really struck me as fair), even comes in three! The baddies are fairly well-distributed too. From the looks of it the only figs who are exclusive to a single set are Wu (in his small dragon set), the new golden-haired character in the biggest set, and the "Spinjitzu Burst" ninja variants (which, granted, leave out three of the ninja once again).

It's a shame the other two main "subcategories" for this year have been so much worse about that. Poor Zane never got a Digi-suit in the Prime Empire sets OR a Season 3 variant in the Legacy sets. I'm still holding out hope for the latter... since some of this year's sets do revisit seasons one and two of the show, it'd certainly be a dream for a future wave to include, say, a Legacy Ninjacopter that included not only an updated Zane but also an update of Pixal's classic appearance!

Yeah, I hate the way they distribute the ninja sometimes. I no longer follow the show like I used to (last season I watched was 5 and I’m trying to catch up), but I vaguely know what’s going on in each season. I still like getting some new sets and collecting each season’s ninja variants, but stuff like only 3 ninja getting Burst variants really annoys me! Or the Golden variants, with Golden Zane being in a completely different style to Golden Kai from a couple years ago. I really hope they make a Prime Empire Zane in the future, and he would’ve been so easy to include in the Kai Fighter set instead of Tournament of Elements Lloyd for the third time this year :hmpf_bad:

On the subject of Legacy figures, while I’d prefer updated versions of the original figures (with their accurate faces and hair), I don’t really care about the figures as much as I care about the awesome new builds themselves. I hate how the show redesigned the ninja to look more like the movie and I really miss the old faces and hair pieces. The villains are mostly a downgrade in my opinion. Kozu and the stone warriors were better in 2013 and 2016, using the smaller armor and Samurai X mouth guard really doesn’t work for them. The Nindroids are okay but if that’s supposed to be General Cryptor in the Kai Fighter I’m definitely not happy with that weak armor piece compared to his elaborate original one. The Serpentine are good although I wish we had gotten a new Skales, and the Skulkin are okay. Although I preferred the older heads, the new skull molds are more versatile and are used very well in the sets this summer. I do want more villain builds, like a proper $100 Great Devourer set with a great brickbuilt snake. That’s what I wanted most as a kid watching Ninjago and I’d love to see LEGO do a set like that! 

Edited by GoldenNinja3000