7 minutes ago, Lego David said:

Hmmm, I don't know for sure. As far as I know, the "evergreen theme" term wasn't used at the time Bionicle G1 was around. 

Out of curiosity, was the term "evergreen theme" oficially used by LEGO, or is it just a fan-made term?

Not sure about the exact term of "evergreen" (although I'm pretty user LEGO used the word), but LEGO considers Ninjago to be the same type of line as city:

History Collection - Ninjago Description

(image is from the LEGO house)

Edited by Dardanel

1 hour ago, Dardanel said:

Not sure about the exact term of "evergreen" (although I'm pretty user LEGO used the word), but LEGO considers Ninjago to be the same type of line as city

So that means the theme will keep going on forever, regardless of how well it sells?

6 hours ago, Lego David said:
15 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Was Bionicle G1 ever considered an "evergreen" theme at some point before it wound down? :shrug_confused:

Hmmm, I don't know for sure. As far as I know, the "evergreen theme" term wasn't used at the time Bionicle G1 was around. 

Perhaps Lego may've not used/adopted the term around then, but I would think a classification for such themes would've been been acknowledged at least, maybe identified as "core" themes instead? :shrug_confused:

4 hours ago, Lego David said:

So that means the theme will keep going on forever, regardless of how well it sells?

I'd imagine it'll always exist in name only at the very least, as Ninjago has shown itself to be much more loose and flexible as an in-house "Power Rangers" theme versus Bionicle with a more rigid narrative structure.

On 3/10/2020 at 12:49 AM, Dardanel said:

Not sure about the exact term of "evergreen" (although I'm pretty user LEGO used the word), but LEGO considers Ninjago to be the same type of line as city:

I am a big fan of Ninjago, always have been. But I don't like this much. I really do think that Ninjago should end at some point, because if not it might become incredibly stale and lifeless. 

2 hours ago, The Brick King said:

I am a big fan of Ninjago, always have been. But I don't like this much. I really do think that Ninjago should end at some point, because if not it might become incredibly stale and lifeless. 

Maybe end the current story and reboot it?

9 minutes ago, Takanuinuva said:

Maybe end the current story and reboot it?

To be fair, you could say we are already in a soft reboot since the end of the Oni Trilogy.

Someone alluded to the show introducing new characters that might be the next generation of ninja, so maybe that's what we'll see soon? I don't watch the show, so I dunno.

I hope Lego cancels this soon. All my local stores (and I live in a large town for my state) are filled to the brim with old Ninjago sets (some as old as Sons of Garmadon). These things don't move. The brand isn't what it used to be. It's going to be a big part of what will kill Lego. Believe me, the end is near.

4 hours ago, Legoanonymous said:

To be fair, you could say we are already in a soft reboot since the end of the Oni Trilogy.

You could also say that about Sons of Garmadon. Or.. Rebooted. How long until a hard reboot? Surely they'll want to restart the story at some point to make it more accessible to newcomers. It feels like they've been tiptoeing around doing it for a while now. I don't know how good a job Season 8 and Season 11 do at being starting points when you'd still have to watch the previous seasons to understand what's going on.

3 hours ago, obsidianheart said:

Someone alluded to the show introducing new characters that might be the next generation of ninja, so maybe that's what we'll see soon? I don't watch the show, so I dunno.

By someone, you mean?

Edited by GarmaFan

4 hours ago, obsidianheart said:

Someone alluded to the show introducing new characters that might be the next generation of ninja, so maybe that's what we'll see soon?

I feel like that would be a pretty good way to reboot the story, while at the same time being tied to everything that has happened before. This is the exact same thing Bionicle did, and I feel like Ninjago could very easily do the same. 

1 hour ago, GarmaFan said:

By someone, you mean?

I don't remember, honestly, and I don't care enough to sift through the pages of the thread. I just remember the insinuation that someone named Nelson and his delivery partner girl were obviously going to be new ninjas.

Like I've said, I don't care about the show, just the sets.

1 hour ago, obsidianheart said:

I don't remember, honestly, and I don't care enough to sift through the pages of the thread. I just remember the insinuation that someone named Nelson and his delivery partner girl were obviously going to be new ninjas.

Like I've said, I don't care about the show, just the sets.

Ah, those were just side characters.

1 hour ago, Lego David said:

I feel like that would be a pretty good way to reboot the story, while at the same time being tied to everything that has happened before. This is the exact same thing Bionicle did, and I feel like Ninjago could very easily do the same. 

The Bionicle reboot was connected to the original?

1 hour ago, GarmaFan said:

The Bionicle reboot was connected to the original?

No, it was not. In the original series (Generation 1) there were new Hero teams introduced every 2 years or so, which helped a lot in keeping the story fresh with new characters. I feel like Ninjago could benefit a lot from something like this. 

Secrests of the Forbidden Spinjitzu was a soft reboot. They're still continuing the story but Ninjago Masters of Spinjitzu ended with the Oni Trilogy, the show is just called Ninjago now.

4 hours ago, GeneralNumberOne said:

I hope Lego cancels this soon. All my local stores (and I live in a large town for my state) are filled to the brim with old Ninjago sets (some as old as Sons of Garmadon). These things don't move. The brand isn't what it used to be. It's going to be a big part of what will kill Lego. Believe me, the end is near.

We just went over this so there's really no need to discuss it again. Ninjago is selling well and will definetely stay for the next few years. This theme killing LEGO is taking overreacting to the extreme. 

Also, why are you saying this about so many themes all of a sudden? Ninjago, DC, Mario, Trolls and Minions aren't going to kill a company. Trolls and Minions may not appeal to you and other AFOLS but tons of kids (you know, LEGO's target demographic) love them

20 hours ago, Lego David said:

No, it was not. In the original series (Generation 1) there were new Hero teams introduced every 2 years or so, which helped a lot in keeping the story fresh with new characters. I feel like Ninjago could benefit a lot from something like this. 

From what I've gathered by skimming the Bionicle lore, the Ninjago equivalent would be a flashback arc about the previous Elemental Masters, and then going back to the present to a new team doing something while the Ninja are busy (would probably have to be their children if they wanted to keep elements the same).

That'd be interesting, but many Ninjago fans.. really dislike change (as evident by reactions to the past few years of changes). It'd be difficult to pull off switching to new main characters so late into the series' run.

Edited by GarmaFan

6 hours ago, GarmaFan said:

That'd be interesting, but many Ninjago fans.. really dislike change (as evident by reactions to the past few years of changes). It'd be difficult to pull off switching to new main characters so late into the series' run.

Ending the current story and moving to a new team is a little different than completely redesigning the main characters after 6 years

6 hours ago, GarmaFan said:

I think a good way to make sure such a change isn't met with backlash would be to slowly transition to a new Ninja team instead of suddenly changing everything. Like, maybe have a season or two focused on the Ninja training the new generation while still being the main characters, and only change the teams after the new generation has been developed well enough. And even after the teams have been switched, you can still keep the original Ninja around as side characters. 

That would be an ideal way to reboot the Ninjago story in my opinion. 

4 hours ago, Lego David said:

I think a good way to make sure such a change isn't met with backlash would be to slowly transition to a new Ninja team instead of suddenly changing everything. Like, maybe have a season or two focused on the Ninja training the new generation while still being the main characters, and only change the teams after the new generation has been developed well enough. And even after the teams have been switched, you can still keep the original Ninja around as side characters. 

That would be an ideal way to reboot the Ninjago story in my opinion. 

This would be the way to do it but I doubt it would go over well with most of the community. 

45 minutes ago, THELEGOBATMAN said:

Does anyone know where I can watch new Ninjago episodes in English? I know EP1 cane out a few days ago, and EP2 came out today.

I can only find them in Japanese(?) with english subs

1 hour ago, Guyon2002 said:

I can only find them in Japanese(?) with english subs

Subtitles will do. Is it on Youtube? Or have you got another source?

17 hours ago, THELEGOBATMAN said:

Does anyone know where I can watch new Ninjago episodes in English? I know EP1 cane out a few days ago, and EP2 came out today.

The new episodes will start to air in English on the 21st (this weekend). 

Back on the next lot of sets, some pictures of various leaked pieces and minifigures and one of them was holding a couple of the weapons introduced in the Hunted wave (the weapons that come in packs of ten in every set) in red. I’m wondering if these are uncoloured prototypes or that the next wave will feature those weapon pieces in red.

I kinda like that these pieces are getting recolours, but I hope that they aren’t overused like they are in the Prime Empire wave. It’s better when those sets use each piece, either as weapons or to decorate models, but I have a LOT of loose unused trans-green pieces from what I have of the latest wave.

42 minutes ago, Tobias_Jay said:

The new episodes will start to air in English on the 21st (this weekend). 

Back on the next lot of sets, some pictures of various leaked pieces and minifigures and one of them was holding a couple of the weapons introduced in the Hunted wave (the weapons that come in packs of ten in every set) in red. I’m wondering if these are uncoloured prototypes or that the next wave will feature those weapon pieces in red.

I kinda like that these pieces are getting recolours, but I hope that they aren’t overused like they are in the Prime Empire wave. It’s better when those sets use each piece, either as weapons or to decorate models, but I have a LOT of loose unused trans-green pieces from what I have of the latest wave.

Ooh, more colours are always good.

I feel that. I’ve been using the Prime Empire stuff, as well as the S.O.G. stuff from a couple of years back, to build an underground black market for my city. About half of the people down there (more than fifty) are equipped with at least one or two of those green weapons - and I’ve also been handing them out to my leftover ghosts from 2015 and the Hidden Side ghosts, because they match those colours as well. And I still have unused spares lying around. I hate to think how useless they most be to everyone else. 

Just saw someone post Jay and Nya's summer 2020 suits. They look cool, interesting that they seem to be wearing the Season 11 suits under the armor.I get what people mean when they say that Ninjago being an all-encompassing theme removes the need for other themes, but it is kind of funny that the Ninja are wearing knight costumes like two years after Nexo Knights ended.