Huh, they do usually wear the same hood type for a few seasons. Maybe they could repurpose the visor that way. Going from tech-focused to an underwater civilization seems kind of jarring, but I guess if Ninjago is going to go on for a while, it'll eventually do that plot.

On 12/23/2019 at 6:11 PM, Lyichir said:

On 12/23/2019 at 6:11 PM, Lyichir said:

That said, it is weird that neither category of sets has Zane in it, apart from the pink Zane avatar. You would think that they could have organized it better so that this wave had a set with the new Legacy Zane and the next one had a set with digi-Zane or vice-versa, instead of a whole wave of Ninjago sets where one of the original ninja is barely in any sets at all.

There was a period between 2015 and 2017 where Zane would be in roughly one or two conventional-release sets max in two or three different variants, which made sense for Tournament but was honestly bizarre in Possession and Skybound when his normal variant was relegated to one set and basically no polys. Weird to see it resurface now, but it's def curious.

Anyways, on underwater sets, IKR Tommy once said animating water and a completely underwater environment would be expensive and time-consuming; don't take the quote exactly on this.

dammit how do i edit a post

Animating water is hard? Maybe that’s why Atlantis only got the one TV special back in the day. Still, makes sense. 

Honestly, I’m not too cut up about probably never having an all-underwater season. Anyone remember the Katana VII from SOG? I still can’t believe they made a fire themed submarine. An underwater wave would probably just be a whole season of idiocy like that . . though if they did some kind of big sea serpent that might make up for the inevitable ninja submarines . . 

Surprised to see Kai in a Minecraft set

This has something to do with the gaming theme from this wave, right? I mean, it can't be just a coincidence that this happens just when Ninjago is getting a gaming storyline

I wonder if there will be more surprises like this one in the summer wave

3 hours ago, Robert8 said:

Surprised to see Kai in a Minecraft set

This has something to do with the gaming theme from this wave, right? I mean, it can't be just a coincidence that this happens just when Ninjago is getting a gaming storyline

I wonder if there will be more surprises like this one in the summer wave

This is a skin from the game itself.

14 hours ago, Lyichir said:

One challenge I encountered when trying to conceptualize a wave like that back in the day was how to have the ninja visibly wear diving gear while still retaining that iconic ninja look. It's possible that recolors/redecorations of the new "cyber" headgear could work for that purpose, possibly combined with some type of air tanks depending on how well they'd fit with the headgear.

For all the ninja headgear parts they keep introducing every other wave, I'm still waiting for one that's more of a helmet rather than hood/wrap, one that can be more easily reused outside of the context it was made for.

7 hours ago, Feng-huang0296 said:

Honestly, I’m not too cut up about probably never having an all-underwater season. Anyone remember the Katana VII from SOG? I still can’t believe they made a fire themed submarine. An underwater wave would probably just be a whole season of idiocy like that . . though if they did some kind of big sea serpent that might make up for the inevitable ninja submarines . . 

If an underwater-themed wave were to happen, I'd like to see it introduce something of a Captain Nemo-esque antagonist... :smug:

On the other hand, how 'bout a Space-themed wave? :snicker:

30 minutes ago, Digger of Bricks said:

For all the ninja headgear parts they keep introducing every other wave, I'm still waiting for one that's more of a helmet rather than hood/wrap, one that can be more easily reused outside of the context it was made for.

If an underwater-themed wave were to happen, I'd like to see it introduce something of a Captain Nemo-esque antagonist... :smug:

I really don't see the appeal in a space-themed wave but underwater could work. In the end I just hope they'll do what is best for the story in it's entirety and possibly even end it somewhere in the coming years (at least the show, the set's could carry on after the show is done)

42 minutes ago, Guyon2002 said:

I really don't see the appeal in a space-themed wave but underwater could work.

Two particular ideas within either of those veins I'd be quite fond of would be for an Extraterrestrial Invasion-themed wave (i.e. Ninjago-ed Alien Conquest) or one that takes after Pacific Rim with Jaeger/Mecha-piloting Ninjas battling Kaiju. 

2 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Regarding the head wraps, one of the tricky bits is that the further you get from a traditional head wrap, the less recognizable the characters are as, y'know, ninja. And I think reuse outside that context should come secondary to their suitability for that original context (since, after all, there's plenty of opportunity for more typical space or castle helmets in other themes as well). The most versatile ninja mask outside that original context would probably be the simple lower face mask from 2014, which is basic enough to work for other sorts of cultures and can be paired with a wide variety of headgear or hair to boot.

When I was conceptualizing a wave like this a while back, I was leaning more toward Lovecraftian sea creature antagonists for the villains. Though that might come a little close to the less eldritch but still aquatic-themed Shark Army from the movie.

Space might be even more challenging than underwater when it comes to retaining that Ninjago flavor. Spacesuits and ninja costumes might be a little hard to visually integrate (though I'm sure if I sought it out some non-Lego concept artist has taken a stab at it), and while both the show and the graphic novels have at one point featured individual episodes involving space travel, taking the story to space at length might take things too far in a straight sci-fi direction without as much opportunity to evoke the traditional Japanese flavor that has been evident even in the more cyberpunk waves like Rebooted or this upcoming wave. I wouldn't say it's impossible, but I also think it might be too much of a leap to take before other opportunities are exhausted and more groundwork has been laid as far as how the island continent of Ninjago relates to the planet at large and the cosmos beyond that.

Just now, Lyichir said:

When I was conceptualizing a wave like this a while back, I was leaning more toward Lovecraftian sea creature antagonists for the villains. Though that might come a little close to the less eldritch but still aquatic-themed Shark Army from the movie.

You know I'd dig a Lovecraftian-inspired wave, though I'd much prefer such inspirations to rather be utilized for an entirely new playtheme, one that can be properly set within a Pulp/Noir setting and era... :smug:

3 minutes ago, Lyichir said:

Space might be even more challenging than underwater when it comes to retaining that Ninjago flavor. Spacesuits and ninja costumes might be a little hard to visually integrate (though I'm sure if I sought it out some non-Lego concept artist has taken a stab at it), and while both the show and the graphic novels have at one point featured individual episodes involving space travel, taking the story to space at length might take things too far in a straight sci-fi direction without as much opportunity to evoke the traditional Japanese flavor that has been evident even in the more cyberpunk waves like Rebooted or this upcoming wave. I wouldn't say it's impossible, but I also think it might be too much of a leap to take before other opportunities are exhausted and more groundwork has been laid as far as how the island continent of Ninjago relates to the planet at large and the cosmos beyond that.

...hence why I suggested an Extraterrestrial Invasion-themed wave, so it'd be a "Space" wave as much as Alien Conquest was regarded as a Space theme.

On 12/28/2019 at 6:15 AM, Guyon2002 said:

I really don't see the appeal in a space-themed wave but underwater could work. In the end I just hope they'll do what is best for the story in it's entirety and possibly even end it somewhere in the coming years (at least the show, the set's could carry on after the show is done)

On 12/28/2019 at 8:01 AM, Lyichir said:

Space might be even more challenging than underwater when it comes to retaining that Ninjago flavor. 

What world am I living in where people think Space Ninjas would be lame but Ninjas in submarines will somehow work? Have you guys never seen anime or Sentai shows?

Imagine the jumpkicks Ninjas could do in zero gravity. Ninjas in spaceships and space mechs? Ninjas riding rockets to attack a space station? Throwing entire satellites like shurikens?

If you can't imagine how awesome that would be, you are not even trying. 

If they can do Ghosts, Dragons, Nindroids, Time-Magic, Sky Pirates, Ice Samurai, Snakes and even a Digital Game World they can manage a Space subtheme.

Edited by TeriXeri

2 hours ago, TeriXeri said:

If they can do Ghosts, Dragons, Nindroids, Time-Magic, Sky Pirates, Ice Samurai, Snakes and even a Digital Game World they can manage a Space subtheme.

:grin:

I love how endless the possibilities are and how well it still works

Interestingly except for the theme this year and the dragon hunters all villains or new players had a somewhat oriental if not eastern asian vibe.
Like we never got European like knights (whether they are humans or humanoid salamandars). Even the pirates had Samurai like shirts.

5 hours ago, danth said:

What world am I living in where people think Space Ninjas would be lame but Ninjas in submarines will somehow work? Have you guys never seen anime or Sentai shows?

Imagine the jumpkicks Ninjas could do in zero gravity. Ninjas in spaceships and space mechs? Ninjas riding rockets to attack a space station? Throwing entire satellites like shurikens?

If you can't imagine how awesome that would be, you are not even trying. 

I salute you, fellow anime fan! :grin: 100% with you on this!

5 hours ago, danth said:

They've already given these characters plenty of mecha, helicopters, fighter jets, tanks, motorcycles, and off-roaders, so what harm could be done in equipping them with freaking starfighters? :grin: 

1 hour ago, Kim-Kwang-Seok said:

Like we never got European like knights (whether they are humans or humanoid salamandars).

Well, it would've been cool if they'd done a crossover with Nexo Knights. :shrug_oh_well:

I recently picked up 71780 - Gamer'd market. I don't watch the Ninjago series, and have only seen the movie. So I don't know much about Ninjago except that I buy the occasional set when I think they are cool. I really like the minifigures in this one, that's why I bought it. I like that we get what is basically a Kill Bill minifigure, a much-needed (IMHO) pink ninja (Now, if we could just get a Fuchsia ninja) But I absolutely LOVE the fact that we get a Jim Belushi Samurai Futaba figure. Seriously, google that.

54 minutes ago, Digger of Bricks said:

They've already given these characters plenty of mecha, helicopters, fighter jets, tanks, motorcycles, and off-roaders, so what harm could be done in equipping them with freaking starfighters? :grin: 

RIGHT?! :thumbup:

1 hour ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Well, it would've been cool if they'd done a crossover with Nexo Knights. :shrug_oh_well:

I suppose it shouldn't be too hard to turn the Cyber Dragon into a Blue/Neon Orange version at the very least :dsweet:

Edited by TeriXeri

Ninjago has been providing me with fuel for my custom stuff for years. Case in point; the lead pilot of BSP-Ace (the ‘good guy spaceship fleet’ of my layout/collection’) is currently flying a modified Zane’s ShuriCopter, and last year - oh actually, it’s 2020, year before last - I converted the Dragon Pit and all the Dragon Hunter stuff into the basis for my post-apocalyptic display. 

My point being, I’m totally on board with starfighters. Imagine adding the ninja to the SW Resistance. 

Edited by Feng-huang0296

12 hours ago, danth said:

RIGHT?! :thumbup:

As long as such a wave provides a plentiful number of new "technicolored" canopy recolors, I'm on board... :moar:

Just to be clear I'm not a super-fan of Ninjago(though I did watch some episodes) but I'm impressed with the two sets I bought in the philippines. 71708 Gamer's market and 71713 Empire Dragon. 

Gamer's market not only has unique selection of minifigures but it has an interesting premise and references for both previous ninjago seasons and some movies(Harumi in flame yellow jumpsuit :wink:)

Empire Dragon has a nice color scheme. I love how it combines tron, nexo knights and spyrius into that dragon and to top it off, an awesome looking big bad minifigure with kai and lloyd to fight with.

Overall, an interesting yet satisfying build on both sets with minifigures to complete with the Ninjago team though half of them are from Digi-ones and the other half are avatar-ones.

On 1/4/2020 at 7:33 AM, Exetrius said:

I salute you, fellow anime fan! :grin: 100% with you on this!

Speaking of, does anyone read or watch Accel World? Because from what I can see from Ninjago 2020. It has two forms, Avatar and Digi if they are fighting, Similar to Accel World where they have Network and Duel avatars. Though I'm not sure if TLG borrowed this idea, its just a coincidence. :sceptic:

Edited by AMD

@AMD Haven't watched Accel World (yet?), but at times I've been fairly sure there are anime fans among the Ninjago design team. 

On 1/3/2020 at 11:52 PM, Kim-Kwang-Seok said:

Interestingly except for the theme this year and the dragon hunters all villains or new players had a somewhat oriental if not eastern asian vibe.
Like we never got European like knights (whether they are humans or humanoid salamandars). Even the pirates had Samurai like shirts.

This doesn't surprise me, I think the asian style is what keeps the theme authentic despite the wide variety of genres it has touched upon. Aside from the Chinese new year sets, Ninjago is only theme that consistently taps into asian culture, and I can imagine that as such it is very important for the sales in Asia. So I don't expect Ninjago to fully drop the asian style, not even for a wave.