kaelthas

[REVIEW] Four SDCC minifigures

Which one is your favourite?  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Choose one

• Steve Rogers Captain America - San Diego Comic-Con 2016 Exclusive
    • The Collector (San Diego Comic-Con 2014 Exclusive)
    • All New Captain America (Sam Wilson) - San Diego Comic-Con 2015 Exclusive
    • Deadpool Duck - San Diego Comic-Con 2017 Exclusive
    • All of the above

IMG_5832.PNG.ba6c8e6bf95bd20370afb846aca47672.PNG

My 33rd review is a wee bit scary as one scratch on the minifigure will cost an arm and a leg. These four SDCC minifigures are carrying the price of around 2 UCS Millenium Falcon (new one) and I'm risking my life playing around with them as they are loaned units from my friend Ian Ooi, taken from him in Kuala Lumpur during a fun gathering dinner.

They don't come by everyday, so let's see what we have here. 

Overview

The Collector

Name: The Collector - San Diego Comic-Con 2014 Exclusive (comcon035)
Theme: Marvel Super Heroes
Year: 2014
Pieces: 8
Minifigures: 1
Price: USD 385 (Bricklink current lowest price) MYR 1581

Deadpool Duck

Name: Deadpool Duck - San Diego Comic-Con 2017 Exclusive (comcon053)
Year: 2017
Pieces: 3
Price: GBP 250 (Bricklink current lowest price) MYR 1274

All New Captain America (Sam Wilson)

Name: All New Captain America (Sam Wilson) - San Diego Comic-Con 2015 Exclusive (comcon046)
Year: 2015
Pieces: 5
Price: USD 299.99 (Bricklink current lowest price) MYR 1232

Steve Rogers Captain America 

Name: Steve Rogers Captain America - San Diego Comic-Con 2016 Exclusive (comcon051)
Year: 2016
Pieces: 4
Price: HKD 2250 (Bricklink current lowest price) MYR 1182

The packaging is standard non sealed SDCC clear plastic with a card inside. The minifigures are clearly displayed inside the 'box' and the designs are really impeccable. 

1. The Collector - San Diego Comic-Con 2014 Exclusive

This card is quite special among the four as you can see the minifigure is printed inside the card. The back of the card is only printed with colourful circles on purplish black background. 

Taneleer Tivan is well printed with his renowned purple flowery outfit, along with a 'necklace' pinned on his pocket. The shirt design looks like Chinese traditional outfit. He comes with a White Minifigure, Cape Cloth, Serrated Edges coded 12857 which appeared in 70009 and 70011 back in 2013 Chima's sets. As exclusive as it is, the cape is quite cheap to be acquired. His legs are printed at the hip area as a continuity to his torso, and both side of his legs as a decoration to his pants maybe? He comes with dual facial expressions and 3 round plates which represents the Aether in a container that was passed to him by Lady Sif and Volstagg. 

Hello Brother.

'Then you are more of a fool than I took you for.'

2. Deadpool Duck - San Diego Comic-Con 2017 Exclusive

The red was chosen so that the enemy won't see you bleeding. I liked the colour scheme used in this card. At the back of the card LEGO is promoting the MARVEL Super Heroes 2 game in 2017. 

According to marvel fandom.com, this deadpool duck is actually the relative to Howard the Duck and he is from Earth 616 in the Multiverse. The history of this character is unknown but stated that he is the fusion of Howard the Duck and Deadpool. The head mold is amazing and the printings of his deadpool eyes are very nice. At the back of the head you can see the wrinkles produced by the head mask similar to human deadpool version. The legs aren't printed. The torso prints are superb front and back. The deadpool belt buckle, ammo pockets and the brown straps are very recognisable. 

Quack. 

3. All New Captain America (Sam Wilson) - San Diego Comic-Con 2015 Exclusive

Falcon is finally the taking the helm of Captain America like what we got in Avengers Endgame. But this is the SECRET WARS version of Sam Wilson as printed at the back of the card. 

He looks funny with his red glasses. Does he look like that in the comic? (Tell us in the comments) He came with dual facial expressions. and the shield he is holding is not really exclusive. The blue and reds are very nicely used here especially at front and back of the torso. His jetpack was printed at the back with a star at the centre and the red coloured wings are kept inside the jetpack. At the front the uniform is very nicely designed on a white base.

Comparison of Sam Wilson. 

Jealous White Wolf.

4. Steve Rogers Captain America - San Diego Comic-Con 2016 Exclusive

This is my favourite among the four. I love the blue abstract background of the card.

He is GORGEOUS! I think this is the only version of Captain America with leg printings and the prints are so detailed! The shield is also a very nice addition to this minifigure as it is not the usual round vibranium shield. 

Who is worthy?

Group Photo.

Back of the cape and shield.

Alternate expressions.

Review summary
Design: 10/10 - I love all the designs except for Sam who looks a bit cartoonish.
Minifigures: 10/10 - Impeccable. 
Price / Value for money: 3/10 - Very EXPENSIVE. 
Overall: 7.5/10 - If its not because of the price, the score would be 10/10.

Thanks for reading! I hope you like this review. Do share your thoughts in the comments below! 

My reviews in Eurobricks.

1. Review: 76060 Doctor Strange's Sanctum Sanctorum
  2. Review: 60134 Fun in the park - City People Pack
  3. Review: 70911 The Penguin™ Arctic Roller
  4. Review: 70818 Double-Decker Couch
  5. REVIEW: LEGO 76051 SUPER HERO AIRPORT BATTLE
  6. REVIEW: Short comparison of various sized Antman.
  7. Review: 9469 Gandalf Arrives
  8. Review: 31015 Emerald Express & 31054 Blue Express
  9. Review: 79018 The Lonely Mountain
  10. Review: 9474 The Battle of Helm's Deep
  11. Review: 21029 The Buckingham Palace
  12. [Review] 30611 R2-D2 Polybag
  13. Review: 9473 The Mines of Moria
  14. Review: 41103 Pop Star Recording Studio
  15. Review of City of Wonders Gift Sets in Malaysia.
  16. Review: 75030 Millennium Falcon
  17. Review of 76084 The Ultimate Battle for Asgard and 76088 Thor vs Hulk: Arena Clash
  18. Review of 76099 Rhino Face-Off by the Mine and 76100 Royal Talon Fighter Attack.
  19. Review of 76031 The Hulk Buster Smash and 76104 The Hulkbuster Smash Up
  20. Review: 75230 Porg
  21. [REVIEW] 5005254 - Harry Potter Minifigures (Bricktober 2018)
  22. [REVIEW] 5005255 - Jurassic World Minifigures (Bricktober 2018)
  23. [REVIEW] 5005257 - NINJAGO Minifigures (Bricktober 2018)
  24. [REVIEW] 5005256 - Marvel Infinity War Minifigures (Bricktober 2018)
  25. Review: 76105 The Hulkbuster: Ultron Edition
  26. Review: 70841 Benny's Space Squad
  27. Review of 76039 Ant-man Final Battle and 76109 Quantum Realm Explorers
  28. Review: 79003 An Unexpected Gathering
  29. The Fellowship of the Ring Collection.
  30. Review: 30452 Iron Man and Dum-E Polybag
  31. [REVIEW] 76048 Iron Skull Sub Attack
  32. [REVIEW] 40343 Spider-Man and the Museum Break-In

Interesting review, I didn't even know these mini figures existed. I like the first mini fig with the purple flowery outfit but my favourite is absolutely Deadpool duck, that head mold is hilarious and amazing. I can't believe how expensive they are though!

What's weird is seeing these minifigures outside the packaging. Like you mentioned, these minifigures cost ridiculous amount of money and none of them should be worth that much, but they are. Lucky that our friend loaned you these.

As for the review itself -- you did  a great job on comparing them with the regular minifigures. Frankly, I want to see LEGO release a variant of these SDCC widely to the public so that it won't alienate the rest of the people who actually want these minifigures.

All of these figures are extremely unique, but my favorite has to be the Captain America Minifigure. I really wish I could've gotten my hands on any of these. I think that it is interesting that they used Donald Duck's head mould for Deadpool. Now that I think of it, a Deadpool duck would look nice next to my 2013 Deadpool... I might have to consider that one. 

On 7/18/2019 at 5:13 AM, LEGO Train 12 Volts said:

My favourite is Steve Rogers Captain America too ...I like the old comics look :thumbup:

Especially that shield. :wub:

On 7/18/2019 at 5:30 AM, Park7573 said:

Interesting review, I didn't even know these mini figures existed. I like the first mini fig with the purple flowery outfit but my favourite is absolutely Deadpool duck, that head mold is hilarious and amazing. I can't believe how expensive they are though!

Thanks! Yeah, their prices are sky high for a minifigure..

On 7/18/2019 at 10:21 AM, makoy said:

What's weird is seeing these minifigures outside the packaging. Like you mentioned, these minifigures cost ridiculous amount of money and none of them should be worth that much, but they are. Lucky that our friend loaned you these.

As for the review itself -- you did  a great job on comparing them with the regular minifigures. Frankly, I want to see LEGO release a variant of these SDCC widely to the public so that it won't alienate the rest of the people who actually want these minifigures.

It's weirder to hold them in hand. It's not happiness when the minifigures are not your own. The stress is real, haha. 

Thanks for your kind words! If they are released widely, they won't cost that much already..

On 7/19/2019 at 2:19 AM, legostarwars1425 said:

All of these figures are extremely unique, but my favorite has to be the Captain America Minifigure. I really wish I could've gotten my hands on any of these. I think that it is interesting that they used Donald Duck's head mould for Deadpool. Now that I think of it, a Deadpool duck would look nice next to my 2013 Deadpool... I might have to consider that one. 

You have the 2013 Deadpool??? 

On 7/19/2019 at 6:22 PM, Mister Phes said:

This is a mighty fine review, @kaelthas so I have posted it on the Eurobricks frontpage!

Thanks @Mister Phes! Planning for my 34th now!

On 7/22/2019 at 7:34 AM, Don Neimoidte de la Mancha said:

I am in love with the deadpool duck... one day if I am the multimillionaire I will be getting these.

Me too. One day. :smug:

On July 25, 2019 at 9:14 AM, kaelthas said:

You have the 2013 Deadpool???

Yup, I feel lucky to have him along with most of the other 2012/2013 Avengers sets. He truly is a really interesting piece of LEGO Marvel history.

I really wish there was more backlash against these things. There is really no reason these figures couldn't be 'preview' figure giveaways and released later.

Wow, looking at the price... I don't think I will ever spend money on these but your reviews made me want them more...

I wish Lego stop making exclusives like this =(