Thanks for the reviews. I found the Transporter ramps to be a bit flimsy, especially on the trailer. There should be some studded beams in there to strengthen it up. The control knobs could be bigger too. However, I do prefer the B model from what I have seen.

The Spider crane needs large pneumatics for the outriggers.

H

1 hour ago, Horace T said:

The Spider crane needs large pneumatics for the outriggers.

Well I'm glad someone said it :grin:

I visited Legoland in Billund today, and saw the Spider crane and Car transporter at the shelf of the main shop there. I think I would've bought the crane if not for Sariel's review. I had much higher expectations for it, but the non-functional outriggers were a dealbreaker for me. The car transporter I don't find very interesting so I never really considered it, and other new sets weren't available yet. Got a couple of non-Technic sets in the end.

Can't wait to see 42099 reviewed by Sariel...I think this will be the only set I will buy from this year:)

My 42099 review is coming this Thursday at 13:00 CET. It will include speed measurements of the new motors, and - if everything works out - X-rays of the new pieces, too. It will be followed by a detailed 42099 VS 9398 outdoors test. Stay tuned!

great reviews, definately the year of individually controlled functions rather than gearboxes.  I do with they had included a third axle on that car transporter trailer, it looks odd.  

1 hour ago, Sariel said:

My 42099 review is coming this Thursday at 13:00 CET. It will include speed measurements of the new motors, and - if everything works out - X-rays of the new pieces, too. It will be followed by a detailed 42099 VS 9398 outdoors test. Stay tuned!

good news! Any change you can measure the torque of the new motors?

16 hours ago, allanp said:

I don't have any idea how to do it reliably.

16 hours ago, allanp said:

I did measures of turque and rpm for all motors. Details in my review

@Sariel I notice there's a question on your YouTube page asking which one will win out of 42099 vs the old crawler. I look forward to seeing the answer on Friday out of curiosity, but here's my prediction. New crawler 42099 is defeated by the old crawler. So the new crawler is forced to go through a rocky 4 style training montage (PARTS ON FIRE!) and comes back for the rematch. The old crawler declares "I must break you". The new crawler gets flashbacks of being thrown from a crane for a promotional video! But he pull himself together and the new crawler does much better, but is it enough to win?

On 7/28/2019 at 7:55 AM, rm8 said:

I did measures of turque and rpm for all motors. Details in my review

Noice! :thumbup:

18 hours ago, allanp said:

@Sariel I notice there's a question on your YouTube page asking which one will win out of 42099 vs the old crawler. I look forward to seeing the answer on Friday out of curiosity, but here's my prediction. New crawler 42099 is defeated by the old crawler. So the new crawler is forced to go through a rocky 4 style training montage (PARTS ON FIRE!) and comes back for the rematch. The old crawler declares "I must break you". The new crawler gets flashbacks of being thrown from a crane for a promotional video! But he pull himself together and the new crawler does much better, but is it enough to win?

Made my day man :head_back: Will be eagerly expecting the comparison though, as both sets are a good parts pack.

Spoiler

20190731_153940.jpg

Here's my 42099 review, including a thorough overview of the Control+ app and close examination of the many new pieces (including X-rays):

Ahead of IR, behind of crowdfunded projects. Thanks for the thoroughfull review.

1 hour ago, Maaboo35 said:

"Completely outperformed by 9398". Ouchie.

Is that a spoiler for tomorrows main event?! Maybe just the first half.

I'm pleased to see the XL motor actually has the same internal motor as the PF XL as that means it should have the same or similar overall power, but delivered in a more sensible way, higher speed and lower torque.  

it's a shame that the control+ app appears so limiting right now in terms of customisation. I'd be paying £200 for 4 hubs and the CV joints which is all I want from this set right now. I love the new mechanical parts but the very expensive electrical parts are making me lean towards just bricklinking the parts I want instead of buying the whole set, at least until they get the customisation sorted.

Hmm. It would be cool to compare the performance with 9398, and with the 12t-20t pair of gears switched (on both axles, if possible), or replaced by 16t-16t pairs. The one pair shown in the video looks relatively easy to switch around, with only the new 3x3 connector holding it.

I'm kind of surprised the video mentions stickers as a pro. I really think they went too far with the stickers here, it looks like this set wants to be something it isn't. Stickers take away from the essence of Lego, which is building bricks. They also make the parts sort-of single-use, which, again, deviates from Lego's raison d'être.

Bright orange seems a cool color, but I'd rather have seen this set be bright-green, just to expand that color's parts palette a bit.

Now I care little, I won't buy it anyway. The only possible reason to buy for me are the interesting new parts, which I'm sure will appear on BrickLink soon.

Anyhow, thanks for making the extensive review :) I think it's a great rundown of all the features.

Thanks a lot for the great review! I have already ordered the set, expecting it in a few days. My 8 year old son watched your review, and is really excited and inpatient to start building. Torque is perhaps not the biggest disappointment, the ground clearance is worse...

Thanks for the review @Sariel I think I’m trending towards waiting for the new control app to mature and the new hubs to appear on BrickLink. I don’t like the fact we have another new colour and agree with Erik that it’s too sticker heavy

1 hour ago, Erik Leppen said:

Hmm. It would be cool to compare the performance with 9398, and with the 12t-20t pair of gears switched (on both axles, if possible), or replaced by 16t-16t pairs. 

You can see them compared here.

Why on earth the Control+ motors cannot be controlled by Powered Up controller? Is really lego making two new incompatible electric systems?

Good review. i'm not a fan of the vehicle but I like the app technology. I saw the set in the shops today and was not impressed. The app however is very good and should improve. If they had done a Crawler MK2 (9398) with the  new controls I would seriously consider it. The new CV joints look great ( I will try and get some of those), I like the new hubs but why not a 9V battery box ?

H