TheNerdyOne_

[MOC] MC80 Liberty Cruiser "The Geist"

If you follow my Flickr page you've probably already seen most of this build, but I've finally finished and released the interior and I wanted to finally show it off here as well!  Before we get started, I just want to say that I have videos of the entire build process up to watch here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL6NWVRJbOK_Wf6wTjVffuE-f5U9SeC-L6

a6URVl2.jpg

This ship was mostly modelled after the standard MC80 Liberty, but with a few small modifications.  I wanted to recreate Hera Syndulla's ship from the comics, called the Geist.  The Geist is actually canonically a different class of ship, however the comics generally aren't a good source material.  So I just decided to base if off the MC80, and I added a few command bridges to make it more accurate to the comic.

XeQmwu2.jpg

buaUFxj.jpg

Overall I'm very happy with the shaping on the ship.  It was very anxiety-inducing, but I'm proud of how it turned out.  The interior took a bit of work, since interiors have never been my strong suit, but ultimately I think it looks alright.

EAvuDzS.jpg

I also created some custom minifigures, as you can see, for the interior.  I recreated Hera's crew based on what we saw in the comics, and included Numa from Star Wars Rebels in there as well.  Mostly because I really like her and wanted to make a figure of her.

F3kc5zj.jpg

Thanks for viewing!  I hope you enjoyed, I look forward to any comments or feedback!

This is cool. I like how you incorporated the advent calender Ghost. I read all your earlier posts and completely forgot to ask you, if you had noticed the technique from 75243 Slave I (steps 199-208) for building round shapes with 4267850 Slope, Curved 3 x 1 No Studs on 4144023 Pin Connector Plate with One Hole. After seeing this i don't think you would have needed that technique, but maybe someboday else draws inspiration from it.

4 hours ago, m4st3rt3ch said:

This is cool. I like how you incorporated the advent calender Ghost. I read all your earlier posts and completely forgot to ask you, if you had noticed the technique from 75243 Slave I (steps 199-208) for building round shapes with 4267850 Slope, Curved 3 x 1 No Studs on 4144023 Pin Connector Plate with One Hole. After seeing this i don't think you would have needed that technique, but maybe someboday else draws inspiration from it.

I actually haven't built that set, that is a very nice technique!  I used something similar for this build, though that version definitely looks a bit more stable.

1 hour ago, MoppeW40k said:

Wow. How long is it and how does it compare scalewise to 10030 ISD?

This is in 1:1250 scale, and I believe the ISD is around 1:1600 scale?  So this is a bit too big to be completely accurate when placed next to that, but probably still small enough that it's close enough.

Very nice design! Do you plan to build another Mon Calamari ships, like Home One?

9 hours ago, TheNerdyOne_ said:

This is in 1:1250 scale, and I believe the ISD is around 1:1600 scale?  So this is a bit too big to be completely accurate when placed next to that, but probably still small enough that it's close enough.

Thank you. Close enough for me :) Maybe I will have to modify the attachment of the wing structure in real bricks to hold up

9 hours ago, thire5 said:

Very nice design! Do you plan to build another Mon Calamari ships, like Home One?

Thanks!  I probably won't do Home One (at least for now) but I do plan to build some other Mon Calamari ships like the MC30c.

1 hour ago, MoppeW40k said:

Thank you. Close enough for me :) Maybe I will have to modify the attachment of the wing structure in real bricks to hold up

Ya that part will definitely take some adjustment, it's probably the weakest point.  I plan to build a physical version to so if I happen to get to it before you do I'll make sure to post my adjustments.

Wow! This is a nice build. The use of the ship big piece for the shape is very good.

Edited by dvogon

Great build, the overall shape looks fantastic. Nice job incorporating an interior to the model too!

Thanks everyone!

7 hours ago, ProvenceTristram said:

I really appreciate the lack of studs and the interior. Any plan to sell instructions? I'd snap some up in a heartbeat.

Plans are definitely in the works, my main hurdle is that I want to build it physically and address the likely stability issues first.  I've been a bit strapped for cash, so that's going to have to wait just a little bit before it's a possibility.  Keep an eye out for them though!

I'm currently midbuild, using your design. I've had to change some of the colors to shave off about 5000 bucks off the price, but it's still a rather expensive build.

The main problem I have with it, is that the minifig scale interior box, with its backbone underneath, in no real way connects to the lower outer ring, or the upper outer ring of your design. Now, I understand the upper part, because you designed it to be lifted up for the interior to be seen, but the lower and mid section with the wings have no real attachment to the backbone at all. or am I missing something?

Hopefully TheNerdyOne is still active on this forum!