howitzer

Visiting Billund

Hi, I couldn't find any relevant recent topic on the subject so starting my own.

I'm going to visit Legoland in Billund with my family later this week, so I was wondering if the community had any tips on visiting? Anything special to look for, or if there's anything not worth wasting time on? Anything else to be mindful before going there? Maybe recommendations on restaurants?

We're going by car and staying in AirBnB so travel and accommodation is taken care of.

@howitzer

I went a few years ago. Don't know if things have changed since then. Also, I was travelling alone so my experience won't be the same. But FWIW, here are my tips:

• Arrive as early as you can and take the popular rides then. It seemed to get a lot more crowded later in the day.
  • The big store to the left of the entrance is a 'zoo'. Avoid it in favour of the smaller stores dotted around. They are themed and don't have the full range, but it will save you time overall if you get what you want from them and only get things you can't find anywhere else at the big store.
  • Keep an eye out for sets that haven't been released elsewhere yet. I managed to get the latest CMFs at the time ahead of their street date anywhere else.
  • Allow space in your car for any bulky sets you may be buying. 
  • There are lockers you can use to the right of the entrance. Very handy for stuff you don't want to carry all day.
  • Bring your own food and drink. The food they have seems to be OK but is overpriced. They don't mind if you bring your own and consume it in the cafeteria or at the tables outside.
  • If you choose to get lunch from the cafeteria, aim for 11.45am, not noon. Those 15 minutes make a huge difference in terms of number of people.
  • Expect long queues for the rides/cinema.
  • I didn't take any of the water rides, but if you do, expect to get soaked.  
  • Don't miss the real penguins in the tank at the back right of the park. Don't know if they still have them.

Hope that helps.

On 7/16/2019 at 6:45 PM, AmperZand said:

@howitzer

I went a few years ago. Don't know if things have changed since then. Also, I was travelling alone so my experience won't be the same. But FWIW, here are my tips:

• Arrive as early as you can and take the popular rides then. It seemed to get a lot more crowded later in the day.
  • The big store to the left of the entrance is a 'zoo'. Avoid it in favour of the smaller stores dotted around. They are themed and don't have the full range, but it will save you time overall if you get what you want from them and only get things you can't find anywhere else at the big store.
  • Keep an eye out for sets that haven't been released elsewhere yet. I managed to get the latest CMFs at the time ahead of their street date anywhere else.
  • Allow space in your car for any bulky sets you may be buying. 
  • There are lockers you can use to the right of the entrance. Very handy for stuff you don't want to carry all day.
  • Bring your own food and drink. The food they have seems to be OK but is overpriced. They don't mind if you bring your own and consume it in the cafeteria or at the tables outside.
  • If you choose to get lunch from the cafeteria, aim for 11.45am, not noon. Those 15 minutes make a huge difference in terms of number of people.
  • Expect long queues for the rides/cinema.
  • I didn't take any of the water rides, but if you do, expect to get soaked.  
  • Don't miss the real penguins in the tank at the back right of the park. Don't know if they still have them.

Hope that helps.

Thanks a lot, exactly the sort of thing I was looking for! Especially the info concerning lunchtime is useful, as we're probably going to eat in the cafeteria to save effort (travelling with kid an all that...)

I don't think I'm going to buy much of Lego as it's probably less expensive elsewhere. Some souvenir is must have of course but beyond that only if I find something of special interest.

Hi all,

I'm bumping this topic as I will be visiting Billund in October! Not only is this my first LEGOLAND theme park, this is my first time in Europe, full stop!  This is a lifelong dream of mine, and I'm very excited. Obviously, I'll be going to the LEGO House and LEGOLAND. I would really like some advice:

• Does LEGOLAND allow adults on their own? I'll be travelling with my brother, also an adult. I don't see any reason why not, but I thought I would ask since I know LEGOLAND Discovery Centers require you to attend with a kid. (That's a somewhat different setup, since those are basically indoor playgrounds and not theme parks. Still, better find out now then when we arrive...)
  • What is the best way to get around the city without a car? Is there a short term bus pass? We'd need to get from the airport, to our Airbnb, to LEGOLAND (about 9 km away), the LEGO House, and back to the airport. 
  • Are there any cool second-hand or resale shops that have old LEGO sets?
  • Are there any Danish restaurants nearby that are a must-visit? The House and LEGOLAND both close early the days we'll be there, and I'd like to use the time to try some local food. 

Thank you all in advance for any help.

7 hours ago, TalonCard said:

Hi all,

I'm bumping this topic as I will be visiting Billund in October! Not only is this my first LEGOLAND theme park, this is my first time in Europe, full stop!  This is a lifelong dream of mine, and I'm very excited. Obviously, I'll be going to the LEGO House and LEGOLAND. I would really like some advice:

• Does LEGOLAND allow adults on their own? I'll be travelling with my brother, also an adult. I don't see any reason why not, but I thought I would ask since I know LEGOLAND Discovery Centers require you to attend with a kid. (That's a somewhat different setup, since those are basically indoor playgrounds and not theme parks. Still, better find out now then when we arrive...)
  • What is the best way to get around the city without a car? Is there a short term bus pass? We'd need to get from the airport, to our Airbnb, to LEGOLAND (about 9 km away), the LEGO House, and back to the airport. 
  • Are there any cool second-hand or resale shops that have old LEGO sets?
  • Are there any Danish restaurants nearby that are a must-visit? The House and LEGOLAND both close early the days we'll be there, and I'd like to use the time to try some local food. 

Thank you all in advance for any help.

Sure they allow adults on their own, no problem there.

We had our own car so I don't know the specifics, but I'm sure there are some options for public transportation, and depending on the location of your Airbnb, it might only be a short walk from a bus stop. Google Maps has a pretty good public transportation guides nowdays, at least where I live, so you could probably check it beforehand. If all else fails, I'm you could always take a taxi.

Legoland itself has no second hand or resale shops, but I saw at least one toy store that sells Lego in Billund. Didn't visit though, so I don't know if there's second hand sets available. The PAB in Legoland was next to useless with very limited selection (a big disappointment for me) so I didn't bother with it at all.

We only ate inside Legoland (and in our Airbnb, which was located in the countryside) so I unfortunately I have no advice on restaurants, except that those in Legoland were expensive but with adequate quality.

8 hours ago, TalonCard said:

Are there any Danish restaurants nearby that are a must-visit

I dont know if you realise, that Billund is a very small town, less than 7.000 inhabitants?!?!!?

So its not like there are scores of outside-Legoland restaurants to choose from.

There is a Community Centre (Billund Centret) with a café, but except from that there are a full 3 restaurants in the whole city! Two Italian inspired (mostly pizza) Bellini Ristorante, and Restaurante IL Bambino, and American inspired Bones (spareribs).

To find more tradional Danish food you have to go outside Billund, to the small towns of Vorbasse or Grindsted. And thats not feasible by public transport.