So after about a year (or more) out of building, I went looking for something to build. I wanted to try and build something that wasn't common like a car, truck, or typical construction stuff. I thought riding mower, but that had been done with good or better skill. Then I thought zero turn mower! I looked and the Technic models I found did not look great or was someones C-model of a newer set. Well I had made up my mind! A zero turn mower I will make! It took longer then I liked for, not being in the game for a while, but I eventually shook of the rust and got back into the flow.

The mower is some what based on a Snapper ZTR mower because of the wheels I had. This one is the third build, because I kept having a time getting the drive and chassis right for it to function like a mower.

The mower has a V-Twin engine, triple blade deck, deck height adjustment, and a lever to engage/disengage the blades. The hardest part of the build was working out getting a clutch in there to engage the blades and working out the belts. Lego's "rubber bands" were too short/tight to use so I used two old o-rings for when I rebuilt my transmission. Enough rambling and onto the pictures!

800x600.jpg

800x600.jpg

800x600.jpg

800x600.jpg

800x600.jpg

800x600.jpg

800x600.jpg

800x600.jpg

800x600.jpg

If you need higher resolution here is the folder with the pictures.

Wow, I like this. If only to be critizising I would go for the visible deck for the feet. Surely you could've tiled it up to make it nice like the rest?

Otherwise, I like your solution with the footpedal to raise and lower the cutter, and the lever for switching the clutch. How do you make it turn? The "easy" way to do this would be to brake each wheel individually with the handle bars, that I'm sure you know, is how it works IRL.

Other than that, I like the overall design :thumbup:

16 hours ago, Carsten Svendsen said:

Wow, I like this. If only to be critizising I would go for the visible deck for the feet. Surely you could've tiled it up to make it nice like the rest?

Otherwise, I like your solution with the footpedal to raise and lower the cutter, and the lever for switching the clutch. How do you make it turn? The "easy" way to do this would be to brake each wheel individually with the handle bars, that I'm sure you know, is how it works IRL.

Other than that, I like the overall design :thumbup:

I didn't think to flatten out the foot deck, but most real ones have a raised or textured pane/plate so you don't slip. It's not motorized, so it moves/turns however you like. 

14 hours ago, dabo said:

Very cool

Thanks.