57 minutes ago, allanp said:

I think universal sets were even better at doing that. 8064 had instructions for 4 models plus more models and ideas on the back of the box for inspiration.

Sure.
But today people are suckers when it comes to aesthetics. Most just wouldn't buy a product with rough look even though 4 models can be built out of it.

That there are no B models on big sets is not a deal breaker for me as much as the fact that these sets are  rehashes of very similar sets released onlly a couple of years ago.

The combination of those two aspects plus the inherent limitations of the new power functions standard means there is less and less creativity used and offered.  The use of big moulded parts on stuff like the cement mixer takes Lego technic one step closer to Playmobil.

The Sian is a worthy addition and I will likely get one when it goes 40-50% off RRP but my wallet is staying in my pocket for all the other sets.

59 minutes ago, Anio said:

Sure.
But today people are suckers when it comes to aesthetics. Most just wouldn't buy a product with rough look even though 4 models can be built out of it.

These sets now go into the Education branch.

On this forum, a lot of people are building mocs but I don't think that is representative of "average" builders who may only build official models.

For  me, the lack of B model reduce the value of the set by about 25% because the B model is often about 2 times less good than the A model. :tongue:

4 hours ago, Maaboo35 said:

To those who disagree with me, I am not changing my stance. 

:laugh:

You're right, the absence of a B-model is a loss there's no doubt, I'm simply proposing that the loss of them may not be entirely negative, and could in fact create an opportunity for something even better, particularly in the case of the bigger sets.

There are some great examples of B-models over the years, 42078 being one of those particular examples, but for every good one, there's at least two like this: 

Qy3GrNe.jpg

From an aesthetic perspective, the designer may well have done an incredible job with what they had, but what they had wasn't enough, and I believe it shows. Sections look really good, but it seems reasonable to assume this same designer could have created something much, much better had they not been heavily restricted by parts, and I wouldn't imagine the design time varies greatly between these 2 approaches.

4 hours ago, Parazels said:

I disagree. The presence of b-models showed people that it was possible to convert their parts into something else.

If you disagree with this being the 'essence of Lego', then what do you propose it to be as an alternative? Again, I think people are aware by now that Lego can be built into other things, and I don't think the inclusion of a B-model necessarily facilitates that creativity in a meaningful way. I can (and do) obviously build great A/B-models, but I wouldn't be able to build a C-Model half as good as the one above, despite witnessing it as entirely possible through the posts of the talented people here.

Edited by CrankyCraig

26 minutes ago, CrankyCraig said:

Again, I think people are aware by now that Lego can be built into other things, and I don't think the inclusion of a B-model necessarily facilitates that creativity in a meaningful way

Kids may be aware they can build other things. B-models provide ideas for such other builds that are possible. I would think that would help less-creative kids. (But I don't know.)

Also, I can remember from my own childhood there have been a few sets where I just liked the B-model better (even though they were inferior from an adult's perspective). 8853 and 8856 spring to mind, and universal set 8042. Also, some alternative models strike a chord with parents for wgatever reason, in my case (or rather my mom's case) 8479's buggy.

In short, what B models do is that with 10 sets on the shelves, childrens have not 10 but 20 models to choose from. 20 choices in the shelf-space of 10 boxes. There's a topic right now asking whether there is an excavator set in the current lineup. If every set had 2 models, that would have been 2 times as likely.

Btw, doing a B-model for 42112 would be kinda tricky.

Generally, A and B model have to be on the same theme.

What I have in mind would be something like a concrete silo with a small vehicle. But that would be rather poor from a technical perspective.

B-Model is another set of Marketing  

The absence of this loss 50% of attraction for possible new followers  

Not to mention the worth of the set

56 minutes ago, Anio said:

Generally, A and B model have to be on the same theme.

Very strange statement. Why to limit creativity?

We are talking about Lego, aren't we?

6 hours ago, Anio said:

Btw, doing a B-model for 42112 would be kinda tricky.

A robot monkey playing drums? I'm sure Milan can figure it out :grin: 

16 hours ago, Maaboo35 said:

To those who disagree with me, I am not changing my stance.

:D <3

Maybe it has become a time problem? Models have become more complex, they take more time to design, so there is less time for a B-Model...

And  B-Models like from the 42054 or 42082 are not that great.

16 hours ago, allanp said:

I think universal sets were even better at doing that. 8064 had instructions for 4 models plus more models and ideas on the back of the box for inspiration. I remember building all of them and some extra MOCs from that set. The old ungeared motor was a lot of fun to play around with.

Yep, if the aim here is to inspire creativity and show off the multitude of models that can be built from the same parts, I'd say bring back the universal sets and ditch the B-models.

There has been some great B-models over the years, but most of the time they're just not that good.

Only thing comes in my mind for 42112 B is this Silo Placing Unit (hope this is the right term, could not find a suitable one for the german word: "Silosteller")

joal-cement-silo-placing-unit-volvo_1_a5

With the big turntable and a wormgear you should be able to replace the hydrolic/pneumatic cylinders.

@Sariel did one in a Model Team style years ago:

13.jpg

Guys, let's ask @Grohl666, what's going on with b-models! ))))))

Edited by Parazels

The best B-models are where they are of something completely different from the A-model, like a marble machine/GBC. Speaking of which, does anyone know if objects can be fed into the other end of the drum?

Edited by allanp

1 hour ago, allanp said:

The best B-models are where they are of something completely different from the A-model, like a marble machine/GBC. Speaking of which, does anyone know if objects can be fed into the other end of the drum?

No, it's one-way in and out.

3 hours ago, Maaboo35 said:

Front-discharge truck would be a good idea.

fd4000.jpg?sfvrsn=813a36b8_4

Good point.
Now alternate model MOCers know what they have to do...

I only build a few sets, most of the ones I buy are kept in the box and resold later when someone wants one, the odd one is built but modified like the LR with the hub and motors from the crawler, otherwise I am just looking for the new parts to add to my collection for building MOCs, either from BL or Bricks and Pieces.

After having a closer look at the official photos of the upcoming sets I feel confused. All sets look interesting and good looking from some angles and the opposite from others. I have to say I like the 6x6 Volvo more and more I just hope I can stay away from the buy button.

Just now, Akbalder said:

When can expect to see review of the august sets?

A week after they hit the shelves in official LEGO stores :tongue: