@grego18f True, the Porsche and Chiron designs (and probably the landrover) are suboptimal, even given the limitations of current parts available. After building the pimped porsche im very much impressed with the operation, but that is more to do with the shifting mechanisms then the actual power transmission gears. In the same vein i find the shifting mechanism on the Chiron rather meh, the paddles are extremely lacklustre and un-ergonomic.

It would be nice for Lego to spend more effort in designing optimal gearboxes, but given the target market with the large sets (in which i assume serious gearhead AFOLs are a minority), i guess the suboptimal gearboxes are profit-optimal for lego.

I'll have to give the 720s gearbox a look, and perhaps checkout the fixes available for the Chiron.

I hope Backhoe is motorized.

Two PU hubs should be able to cover all the basic functions:

1. 4x4 drive (with new hubs OFC)
  2. steering
  3. front arm raising/lowering
  4. front bucket tilting
  5. rear arm rotation
  6. rear arm main arm raising/lowering
  7. rear arm secondary raising/lowering
  8. rear bucket tilting

Mostly I'm just hoping they will roll out the powered up eco system fast and add some new stuff in the 2020 lineup!
my wish-list:

-the 2 new spike prime motors in light grey/dark blue grey:wub:
-extension cables

I'm also still stupefied they didn't make the powered up LED's RGB and hope they will correct that mistake!:tongue:

10 hours ago, Zerobricks said:

I hope Backhoe is motorized

Two PU hubs should be able to cover all the basic functions ...

Call me old fashioned, but I really hope for the opposite of that: A manual pneumatic model with all functions except the steering powered by pneumatics. More like a bigger and more modern version of the excellent 8455 from 2003. Only the compressor should be driven by a motor (and a dumb hub without smartphone dependency). If TLG then throws in smaller tractor tires for the front axle, then it will be an instant buy for me. End wishful thinking mode.

Given the huge size of PU elements I don't think so, take a look at @M_longer wheeled loader WIP topic, how he struggle to put ONE hub and 4 motors into body that offer more space than backhoe. And PU motors are way to large to integrate into rear arm. Not mentioning price of such solution...

I can picture myself something like this from @Lipko:

If so, it will be an instant get. Also, a full manual model would be even better!

Edited by agrof

1 hour ago, Cumulonimbus said:

Call me old fashioned, but I really hope for the opposite of that: A manual pneumatic model with all functions except the steering powered by pneumatics. More like a bigger and more modern version of the excellent 8455 from 2003. Only the compressor should be driven by a motor (and a dumb hub without smartphone dependency). If TLG then throws in smaller tractor tires for the front axle, then it will be an instant buy for me. End wishful thinking mode.

Agree. If this rumor is true, the model should not be full PU. The new C+ flagship is the 42100 three years on the market, so I do not think that we will see a successor in 2020. Lego will bring more smaller models in the C+ lineup, but I think we will see a new C+ flagship not before 2022. 

On 10/2/2019 at 3:25 PM, Technicallism said:

Speed Champions 2015 - Porsche 911 GT

Technic Ultimate 2016 - Porsche 911 GT3

Speed Champions 2017 - Bugatti Chiron

Technic Ultimate 2018 - Bugatti Chiron

also re-released speed champions porsche 911 in white.

technic 42096 porsche 911 RSR

56 minutes ago, Akbalder said:

Next Ultimate car could be the McLaren Senna to match this year's Speed Champions set.

That would also make sense within the context of the surge of panels in DBG.

Who thinks the two biggest (in terms of part count) for 2H 2020 sets will be better than 42100 + 42110? I think it's rare to get two such high quality 2H sets released on the same day.

23 hours ago, Akbalder said:

Next Ultimate car could be the McLaren Senna to match this year's Speed Champions set.

Speed Champions 2015 - Porsche 911 GT

Technic Ultimate 2016 - Porsche 911 GT3

Speed Champions 2017 - Bugatti Chiron

Technic Ultimate 2018 - Bugatti Chiron

Speed Champions 2019 - McLaren Senna

Technic Ultimate 2020 - McLaren Senna???

that’s my only analysis could support your words.... well, we shall know something about that on end of January 20 hopefully

Edited by Technicallism

Since there's only two data points, I wouldn't be so comfortable asserting there's a pattern here just yet. So far all this just seems like wishful thinking.

I personally hope this tendency will note appear for the 2020 ultimate... I am not really a fan of the Senna. In my opinion, there are other models which are much more appealing... 

But that is just my opinion :wink:

19 hours ago, ShowsOn said:

Who thinks the two biggest (in terms of part count) for 2H 2020 sets will be better than 42100 + 42110? I think it's rare to get two such high quality 2H sets released on the same day.

I remember that while watching Sariel's interview with Markus Kossman (42100's designer), Markus briefly commented that 42100 was taking Technic close to its limits, whereas 42055 perhaps went over those limits. If that's anything to go by then it's possible that the Technic team might not want to go larger than 4K any time soon (totally fine by me, 4K is an appropriate ceiling imo).

It's depends on what the "Customer's" want... are You/We one of them...? Then ask for it & they'll give it... it's a BIG Business after all... (that Matters)

-Shalom

5 hours ago, Bartybum said:

I remember that while watching Sariel's interview with Markus Kossman (42100's designer), Markus briefly commented that 42100 was taking Technic close to its limits, whereas 42055 perhaps went over those limits. If that's anything to go by then it's possible that the Technic team might not want to go larger than 4K any time soon (totally fine by me, 4K is an appropriate ceiling imo).

The real limit is just 3700 pieces or sth. All 3 biggest Technic sets have fluff pieces to inflate the piece count. Take away 200 sth pieces from the official sets wont affect them one bit.

1 hour ago, Maaboo35 said:

Anyone wanna bet that the Mini Xerion might resemble this? Just a thought.

Probably not if the set only has 130 pieces. I'd expect something closer to the 42088 Cherry Picker or the 42071 dozer: a small set with basic functions and details.

4 hours ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

The real limit is just 3700 pieces or sth. All 3 biggest Technic sets have fluff pieces to inflate the piece count. Take away 200 sth pieces from the official sets wont affect them one bit.

Yes, BWE had the little truck and ATC had the prefab house.

5 hours ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

While true, I feel like that’s besides the point, because they’re always gonna do that.

13 hours ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

Im not sure you could take 200 pieces off of the Chiron without making it worse. (a full redesign would, but given the chiron as it is, no)

Either way, i think we can all agree that recently lego is indeed bumping into the limits of set-size with technic.

Just now, vectormatic said:

Im not sure you could take 200 pieces off of the Chiron without making it worse.

The Chiron isnt one of the 3 biggest Technic sets though.

14 minutes ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

The Chiron isnt one of the 3 biggest Technic sets though. 

Derp, it was one week ago before the liebherr launched :P Guess i was out of date