22 minutes ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

Top Gear Rally Car, 463 pieces. I'd venture a guess that it's in the same scale as the Vette.

With inaccurate steering system, no suspension, and another empty shell. But on the bright side, it will come motorised as standard. Question is what type of control will they choose.

On 9/27/2019 at 6:22 PM, Jundis said:

I partially disagree with this point. You are right as the electronics/informatics progressed way faster than any other field like mechanical engineering/building solutions. But this is a good thing as I surely wouldn't return to a cable-bound (80s/90s) or an IR-remote (2000+) if we can have a bluetooth-connection. Even bluetooth is around for about 20 years, it's still used (and will be used for quite some time as it seems right now) because it works quite well and independently from any progress in smartphone technology. This surely is the way to go.

Just for comparison to a handheld controller:

A handheld BT-controller (Analog buttons are a must for steering etc.!) would surely cost about 50€, everybody would complain how pricy this thing is. This controller (without a display) would be way more limited than a free programmable app, where there are endless possibilities for simple or more complex and even multiple functions, tasks to complete, informations about technical stuff etc. I mean just look at the R9800-video from Sariel. And this is just the second model using this app. You could connect sensors just like mindstorms with the hub or maybe connect a camera which can be built directly into some models, download and share new modules and templates for mocs. Just give them some time, as we all know, TLG don't rush new developments and never were the fastest to adopt new technologies.

The inconsistency I complain about is the connection plugs for the motors and the hub. This seems way more worriing than the App to me.

For the last point, thats exactly what happens to a limited and very specialized system what McLaren settled for. No possibilities to adopt, bound to one platform (Compaq with DOS). BT on the other hand is way more universal, the app runs on IOS and Android and surely will adopt if new smartphone softwares emerge.

I would like to disagree. It would still be better for TLG to maintain the two controller types, the programmable smartphone app and the physical handheld controller.

No doubt the smartphone app is no match for its versatility and flexibility, RC fans and lovers would generally prefer to have a physical controller. Touch function can never replace muscle memory when it comes to the focus of RC joy. That is the reason why I hunted down 42030 and refuse to buy 42099.

The smartphone app would definitely be better for multiple functions and setups, this I agree.

46 minutes ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

Top Gear Rally Car, 463 pieces. I'd venture a guess that it's in the same scale as the Vette.

I expect something like this one.

13 hours ago, WvG_853 said:

....I think it is a shame TLG is not doing more with the agricultural theme ...

I have a suspicion that TLG has a more strict definition of play that most of us. The general rule seems to be that official sets should be able to lift, push, dig, collect, carry, sort and dump Lego. I have always imaged that the environment of a set while playing is a big pile of bricks on the floor where the set should be able to function in. I think this is why we see so much earth moving equipment, trucks and cranes. I could also be the reason why agricultural machines are tricky as an official set since it is rather difficult to pick up, plough or harvest loose bricks on the ground after driving over them like a tractor with an implement does. The same is true for a grader; while the functions in themselves are interesting, playing with the model is probably more difficult to make robust enough.

On the other hand, we have seen sets like cars, planes, helicopters, boats, firetrucks, hovercraft, cherry pickers, motorbikes, snow scooters  and of course the  8284Tractor and the 8274 Combine Harvester. All of which have no real “useful“ function in combination with bricks, so I guess my theory is not really supported with a lot of evidence.

The news of the Top Gear license is a bit of a surprise. I guess there are a lot of unique machines made in the history of the show like those amphibious vehicles which can be made in recognisable Technic sets. There have been a number of die-cast models of Top Gear vehicles, but they don’t seem to be very successful so far. As said by @Shdwfalcon , if the chosen scale is similar of the Corvette, the models will be too small to incorporate any other functions than steering and a mini-engine, which would be a shame for a Technic set. I guess TLG has struck gold by aiming sets towards petrolheads with all kinds of licensed car sets across the Lego themes (Speed Champions, Creator and Technic). Personally, I like sets with interesting mechanisms more than cars where the emphasis typically is on looks.

This is also true for the cars in the “UCS” series (Porsche and Bugatti); whatever the next car in this series will be, I really hope that the will be more to it than yet another large scale car with a sequential gearbox, suspension, steering and a fake motor. Just one or two extra functions like adjustable ride height, convertible roof, pop-up headlight, adjustable seats, … are a must if I want to justify another €300 car in my collection. And I really hope that they won’t choose yet another rare or new colour for Technic parts, making MODs and MOCs unnecessarily difficult. Time will tell…

On 9/30/2019 at 9:46 AM, Cumulonimbus said:

The news of the Top Gear license is a bit of a surprise. I guess there are a lot of unique machines made in the history of the show like those amphibious vehicles which can be made in recognisable Technic sets.

I'd love to see some of the top gear cars/experiments be recreated in lego. There are a lot of options to choose form...

Hover-Van

Electric Car

Killing a Toyota

Middle East Special

Sports Train

Caravan Airship

and many, many more. Though I expect something like those is probably too unorthodox for TLG.

2 hours ago, weavil said:

I was thinking this - 

or this -

But it probably won't be one of there super crazy cars they made.

Those two are probably some of the best episodes from Top Gear (along with the Vietnam special).

Speaking of the backhoe, that is probably going to be a must-buy for me.  I haven't purchased a Technic set since the Xerion (stuff is just getting too expensive, especially considering I prefer to builds MOCs rather than sets).   I always told myself that if LEGO offers a legitimate backhoe or tow truck, I'd buy one.  Otherwise, I don't see much Technic set purchases in my future.

Edited by dhc6twinotter

11 hours ago, Enantiomeer said:

... Though I expect something like those is probably too unorthodox for TLG.

Well your right: The first in what I suspect will be a series of Top Gear sets is a rather conventional car: According to the Promobricks site, the set will be a white "rally coupe" with stickers of a union jack and an image of the Stig dressed with a bunch of extra headlights on the front (the car, not the Stig).

I wonder if it will represent an actual rally car like a Ford RS200, Audi Quattro S1, Peugeot 205 T16 or a more recent Ford Fiesta RS WRC. On one hand. I would expect a certain level of accuracy from a car-based entertainment show for the petrolhead, but on the other hand this would mean two licenses in each set: one for the Top Gear franchise and one for the brand of the car it represents. Not sure if that is likely, maybe if they stick to cars already modeled in the Speed Champion sets? In that scenario we might get a Technic version of this:

75885?$PDPDefault$

Edited by Cumulonimbus

I dont expect the TG set to feature anything clarkson/hammond/may related tbh, that is all in the past for the BBC, and they'd rather not remind anyone.

Is the Stig still a thing for modern top gear? I havent watched anything since the first season of "new" top gear bommed with Chris Evans.

Lego have Lambo, Jaguar, Nissan, Audi and Ferrari models coming for 2020 Speed Champions. The next supercar may or may not be from one of those brands.

Speed Champions 2015 - Porsche 911 GT

Technic Ultimate 2016 - Porsche 911 GT3

Speed Champions 2017 - Bugatti Chiron

Technic Ultimate 2018 - Bugatti Chiron

Don’t just speculate, at least come out with some analysis, but at the end, it doesn’t means must follow the trend ?

Well none of the 2019 models had wing doors and the only red were the mini cooper and F40 

so the trend could be broken! 

Maybe an Aston Martin - since the new James Bond film will to be released in 2020. Could the delay in releasing the film explain the LR Defender which seemed to come from nowhere? Top Gear link could be a competition for Lego fans.

It's gonna be a white rally car according to Promobricks. I expect a RWD chassis with steering and no suspension and simple bodywork, something on the lovel of the Corvette.

On 9/24/2019 at 12:46 PM, I_Igor said:

summarized information; but until some official images are not published I'll be in safe mode :wink:

AIR will be great a glider

39 minutes ago, BARCZA said:

AIR will be great a glider

At the moment only thing in the AIR around me is rain :wink:

2 hours ago, AFOoLish said:

Maybe an Aston Martin - since the new James Bond film will to be released in 2020. Could the delay in releasing the film explain the LR Defender which seemed to come from nowhere? Top Gear link could be a competition for Lego fans.

Sets like the defender take a lot of time to work out, no way that they pushed it out as filler, especially with new pieces. If you want to know what a last moment filler set looks like, check out this years white 911 turbo in the speed champions lineup, its a straight up colour swap from a car from last year.

red + wingdoors = ferrari to me, probably the LaFerrari, FXX-K or the succesor to LaFerrari (dont know if that is due next year already), Them doing any other car brand in red would be sacrilege imho

14 hours ago, Maaboo35 said:

Who else wants a Matt LeBlanc Technic fig? :grin:

I want a Clarkson fig with a reliant raobin!

10 hours ago, nahpets said:

Well none of the 2019 models had wing doors and the only red were the mini cooper and F40 

so the trend could be broken! 

Well, the wing door & red color scheme info is still not confirmed

if still to follow, speed champions 2019 McLaren Senna would hit the jackpot

https://www.newzfeed.me/the-beast-is-out-mclaren-senna-2019/

Regarding the supercar, a Ferrari would be pretty cool, but the round curves can be very tricky to replicate depending on the inspiration model. As others mentioned, it could be an Aston Martin (the incoming Vantage?) or the successor of the Lamborghini Aventador. For the latter, I guess we will have information pretty soon. a functionality I would like to have is an active rear wing. Using a combination of a 2 speeds and a 4 speeds gearbox (to obtain a 8 speeds theoretically) could allow raising the wing when switching the higher gear on the 2 speeds gearbox (eg. raising on the 5th gear)

The backhoe, if confirmed, sounds pretty interesting. I was too young (so had no money) when 8455 was realised. I have now another chance :laugh:

3 hours ago, grego18f said:

Using a combination of a 2 speeds and a 4 speeds gearbox

Haven’t all the recent combination gearboxes been rather crap though? Lots of slack and whatnot

1 hour ago, Bartybum said:

Haven’t all the recent combination gearboxes been rather crap though? Lots of slack and whatnot 

Slack is pretty much a given with lego, the only way to minimize it is to minimize the amount of gear meshes, with the current set of parts, you cant simply make a gearbox as low-mesh as in real life, especially with 8 different ratios, and stuff like the DNR switch doesnt exactly help either.

if you dont want slack, you keep it simple, look at 42048, only two gears, and from memory, max 3 meshes from crank to axle. With the new blue clutch one could make a two speed with only two meshes, crank drives one axle, gearbox contains two sets, one of which is selected, output shaft drives the diff. (im actually considering a setup like that for modding 42096)

Obviously the driving rings/clutches still introduce slack, but eliminating that slack would require something like a synchromesh ring unless you want to end up grinding clutch gears, and a synchromesh ring would end up receiving some wear, especially when shifting under load.

Im sure there are better designs then what lego has produced with the porsche and chiron, just look at how well the "pimp my porsche" setup works, it really is a thing of beauty, but at the end of the day you still end up limited by the fact you are working with plastic in a rather integer-dimensioned setup, and parts need to be more then single use to make sense to produce, so a 23-9 gear pair might be just what we need for more accurate and better gearboxes, but it doesnt make sense for lego to make it, maybe its a niche 3d-printing can fill?

You are true @vectormatic. But you can have an efficient 8 speeds gearbox. It is the case of the McLaren 720s by @Charbel (I reproduced the chassis from photos and video) or even the Aston DB11 by @Jeroen Ottens which works really well (although being an 8 speed + DNR gearbox). Slack is very minimal in these MOCs.