Jerac

[MOC] BTL-S3-ish Y-Wing x 2

On 9/7/2020 at 6:12 PM, Schneeds said:

Likely Brickwright's.  His is excellent, I have it on display.  I'd say they are on par with each other.

Yes, It was brickwrights. Quite good, the cockpit is supreme. A bit weak on the engines though, but easy fix.

On 9/7/2020 at 2:30 PM, Mandalorianknight said:

Which one, if I may ask?

On 9/7/2020 at 11:15 PM, Gray_Mouser said:

Just out of curiosity... Has there ever been a thread about what is ok to sell and what is not?

For instance, one could argue that selling instructions to build star wars MOCs infringes on Disney's intellectual property. What about reverse engineering someone else's MOC, and selling the instructions? The original MOCer does not own the intellectual property, so if he doesn't share/sell instructions, could he rightfully complain?

Note to Jerac; I have no intention whatsoever to reverse engineer your MOCs, I'm not insane. 

I'll preface this by saying that I've bought a few of Jerac's instructions and would like to get Kit Bricksto's Tantive IV instructions at some point. I consider their work to be very impressive and their instructions are good value.

I would be surprised if MOC designers that sell instructions aren't breaking copyright laws. Given Lucas' attitude towards Mad Magazine, Robot Chicken and other parodies I would assume that he would be flattered that people are dedicated enough to build replicas of his work. Disney's lawyers may have a different view but it isn't worth the time, effort and negative PR associated with threatening legal action against hobbyists. 

Hi,
I tried to redesigne Jerac's Y-wing's cockpit a bit and could use some help with it. First of all I have to say it's a pity they don't make the 'Windscreen 4 x 4 Roll Cage' in sand blue, and for that I had to change the color of the cockpit top part to light grey. But my biggest problem is, that I'm missing one pair of side windows and I can't figure out how to include them in my design. Now I'm using 'Slope 45 4 x 4 Double with hinge as my cockpit roof/hatch, but it obviously does'n have those much desired side windows. I'm extremely open to design suggestions with this. Thank you.

51587567083_12f28061ab_k.jpg

Edited by BowmanSam

I'd just try black stickers on the sides, if you wish to have this opening. And perhaps a 2x4 tile on top of that. 

Thank you Jerac for your reply. Eventually I came up with another solution. I think I'll post it here once I get my Y-wing completed.

But why, oh why, doesn't lego make this hinge plate? :D

51650369042_484ca98f61_n.jpg

Edited by BowmanSam

This is what I ended up with. It's not as sturdy as I would like it to be, but it's good enough for me. My only problem is that I haven't been able to find those minifigure screwdrivers for the top cannons.

51671957538_a2380fb166_k.jpg

51672588060_cda2d6cc91_k.jpg

Looks pretty good!

I'd personally keep it all in LBG to make it a little bit more unified. The 2x2 inverted slope could be black; it would then not be really noticeable from the outside. Same for the 3x4 wedge with cutout in the front of the canopy; try it in black or DBG.
As for the screwdrivers, you can just use some flex hoses for now, they make nice barrels. Or - alternatively - try sticking another binocular there.

Thanks Jerac for your answer and hints. Before actually constructing this, I "built" the whole Y-wing to Lego Studio 2.0 according to your instructions and tried out some color schemes in there. All in LBG looked also good, but this way I thought the cockpit part suits better with the sand blue details of the engines and decided to go with that. I would have wanted to do the whole canopy in sand blue, but the color isn't available in most of these parts.

I will absolutely try sticking another binocular to the top cannon, at least temporarily before I find those screwdrivers. The 3x4 wedge I liked more in grey. It somehow visually ties the windscreen tighter to the rest of the cockpit. Replacing the inverted slope with a black one is a good idea. Although ultimately I'm thinking of replacing it with a combination of LBG Hinge Brick 1 x 2 base (part 3937) and LBG Hinge Brick 2 x 2 Top Plate (part 6134).

On 11/12/2021 at 6:48 AM, BowmanSam said:

Thanks Jerac for your answer and hints. Before actually constructing this, I "built" the whole Y-wing to Lego Studio 2.0 according to your instructions and tried out some color schemes in there. All in LBG looked also good, but this way I thought the cockpit part suits better with the sand blue details of the engines and decided to go with that. I would have wanted to do the whole canopy in sand blue, but the color isn't available in most of these parts.

I will absolutely try sticking another binocular to the top cannon, at least temporarily before I find those screwdrivers. The 3x4 wedge I liked more in grey. It somehow visually ties the windscreen tighter to the rest of the cockpit. Replacing the inverted slope with a black one is a good idea. Although ultimately I'm thinking of replacing it with a combination of LBG Hinge Brick 1 x 2 base (part 3937) and LBG Hinge Brick 2 x 2 Top Plate (part 6134).

This looks really good, do you have pictures of the finished product?