Jerac

[MOC] BTL-S3-ish Y-Wing x 2

If I might make another parts substitution suggestion, Wheel Spoked 2 x 2 with Pin Hole (30155) seems to have suddenly become very rare in light bluish grey (not that it was ever super common). Ive found it reduced the cost considerably to use pretty much any other colour (most obviously old light grey, but I think dark grey and tan, and maybe even brown, wouldn't look out of place either)

On 7/19/2019 at 4:08 PM, Jerac said:

Thanks for suggestion - and I fully agree! The thing is, I have no idea how to do it in Stud.io, which is why I eventually left it "as is". I just hoped people would realize it would be better to search for entire part.

@Jerac

Oh, if that's all it is! Those pieces do come as one part in Stud.io, I've used it before. You just have to use the hinge option to position the loose end how you want it before you can add more parts onto that half. Hope this helps a bit

if i already have the 75181 ucs y-wing, what’s the percentage of parts that are similar?

Very little. This was not built with matching the 75181 set's parts in mind; construction philosophy is different between these.

Cockpit, nacelle dome pieces, few random plates and small pieces and that's about it.

Hi Jerac, what in-universe length did you scale this MOC to?  There's two conflicting lengths, one is 23.4 meters and the other is 16.24 meters.  The larger figure is what is listed on the Star Wars Databank and the general article for the Y-Wing on Wookieepedia.  The 16.24 meter length comes from older legends material, the Rogue One Visual Dictionary, and is the figure that seems to match the OT filming models the best.  The 23 meter length seems to be for the older Republic version of the Y-Wing.

On 11/7/2019 at 10:40 PM, Segata Sanshiro said:

Hi Jerac, what in-universe length did you scale this MOC to?  There's two conflicting lengths, one is 23.4 meters and the other is 16.24 meters.  The larger figure is what is listed on the Star Wars Databank and the general article for the Y-Wing on Wookieepedia.  The 16.24 meter length comes from older legends material, the Rogue One Visual Dictionary, and is the figure that seems to match the OT filming models the best.  The 23 meter length seems to be for the older Republic version of the Y-Wing.

I didn't scale to any "official data", as my experience tells me most of these values are outright wrong. 
For example: https://www.starwars.com/databank/a-wing-fighter
A-Wing's listed length is 9.6 meters. 

Someone did research on this already.
A-wingPilotSize.jpg.4a9a0ade2ac60a7f0275
If we consider average pilot height to be 1.75meters, then the ship would be... just 4.5 meters long. It is very rough estimate, but even if we are really far off and have 50% error, this still gives us up to 6 meters in length.

You can safely ignore all official data regarding Star Wars starship sizes. 

That said, I scale the ships to available pieces, most often cockpit canopies or other areas which would be hard to get right without specialized pieces (for example y-wing nacelle domes). If Y-Wing was scaled to the same scale as the X-Wing, it would be bigger than the UCS Y-wing, at least according to what I could see in the movies. 

On 11/10/2019 at 6:24 AM, Jerac said:

I didn't scale to any "official data", as my experience tells me most of these values are outright wrong. 

If we consider average pilot height to be 1.75meters, then the ship would be... just 4.5 meters long. It is very rough estimate, but even if we are really far off and have 50% error, this still gives us up to 6 meters in length.

That said, I scale the ships to available pieces, most often cockpit canopies or other areas which would be hard to get right without specialized pieces (for example y-wing nacelle domes). If Y-Wing was scaled to the same scale as the X-Wing, it would be bigger than the UCS Y-wing, at least according to what I could see in the movies. 

I'm not so sure on it being that much bigger, though I don't have your X-Wing to compare to your Y-Wing in person so I could be wrong.  I'm completely basing it off of the pictures and videos from BrickVault as well as their descriptions of length.

7skkD2B.png

Based on this photo (which is the original filming models scaled to the same size via the astromech droid), I'd say you got it pretty darn close. The UCS is a little under double the length of your X-Wing design, so I really can't see the Y-Wing needing to be bigger than the UCS for it to be in scale.  Even disregarding this picture the Y-Wing does not appear to me to be that large in the movies.  With that said, I would be curious to see what reference shots/videos you used to determine the scale, it's always interesting to see stuff like that.

Edited by Segata Sanshiro
More detail

Uh? Why? What's wrong with that? Not to mention it was a year ago ;)

Edited by Jerac

13 hours ago, Star wars lego guy said:

You put the instructions to brickvault? I’m disappointed...

Do you just dislike brickvault, or are you upset that he wants to make money for his work at this great MOC?

Edit: 2000th post, yay!

Edited by Mandalorianknight

1 hour ago, Mandalorianknight said:

Do you just dislike brickvault, or are you upset that he wants to make money for his work at this great MOC?

Edit: 2000th post, yay!

Hehe good job!

I just don’t like Brickvault, but its also annoying that he doesn’t let us see it for free! I mean thats what LEGO is about.... and I’ve always wanted a minifig scale Y-wing.

4 hours ago, Jerac said:

Uh? Why? What's wrong with that? Not to mention it was a year ago ;)

A year ago? What difference does that make? (No offense sorry)

On 11/10/2019 at 10:24 PM, Jerac said:

A-wingPilotSize.jpg.4a9a0ade2ac60a7f0275

Also the republic Y-wing was bigger than the Rebel one, so this makes sense. They had longer engine struts, thats all. Everything else was the same size.

On 11/8/2019 at 8:40 AM, Segata Sanshiro said:

That being said for this comment, the engine struts being the poles coming out of the back, if ya know what i mean

Edited by Star wars lego guy

1 hour ago, Star wars lego guy said:

Hehe good job!

I just don’t like Brickvault, but its also annoying that he doesn’t let us see it for free! I mean thats what LEGO is about.... and I’ve always wanted a minifig scale Y-wing.

Buying the instructions is purchasing a product, in this case something @Jerac probably worked very hard on. He's putting in effort, so it makes sense, at least to me, that he'd want something in return for that effort. If you don't feel the same way, than just don't buy the instructions. I doubt complaining will compel him to give you them for free.

Star wars scaling is always going to be inherently weird, and made so much worse when you take it into lego, where the figures aren't exactly the same proportions as humans (or wookies, ewoks, ugnaughts, jawas, etc :grin:). I think this works pretty darn well as a minifigure scale y-wing.

21 hours ago, Mandalorianknight said:

Buying the instructions is purchasing a product, in this case something @Jerac probably worked very hard on. He's putting in effort, so it makes sense, at least to me, that he'd want something in return for that effort. If you don't feel the same way, than just don't buy the instructions. I doubt complaining will compel him to give you them for free.

Star wars scaling is always going to be inherently weird, and made so much worse when you take it into lego, where the figures aren't exactly the same proportions as humans (or wookies, ewoks, ugnaughts, jawas, etc :grin:). I think this works pretty darn well as a minifigure scale y-wing.

True, true....  But have you seen Intherts flickr page? And so many others... they all let their instructions for all to see. I also didnt expect that complaining would make him give them to me. Maybe at least a breakdown so we can see the techniques.

@Jerac I’m sure probably doesn’t like me saying this but still, a much more admire a builder who posts their own instructions, like i try to do myself.

Regarding the instructions, that is the designer's personal choice. These models are not easy to design, and we should respect their decision if they are selling them and it helps support them to design more models in the future. 

21 hours ago, Star wars lego guy said:

True, true....  But have you seen Intherts flickr page? And so many others... they all let their instructions for all to see. I also didnt expect that complaining would make him give them to me. Maybe at least a breakdown so we can see the techniques.

@Jerac I’m sure probably doesn’t like me saying this but still, a much more admire a builder who posts their own instructions, like i try to do myself.

Ok, some people post instructions, that doesn't mean everyone has to. It's the designer's choice, they shouldn't be made to give up their designs just to please some rude fans. There's no reason to keep whining about it. He's already responded, you continuing to complain that you want for free something he spent a ton of time working on isn't going to change his mind...

2 hours ago, Mandalorianknight said:

Ok, some people post instructions, that doesn't mean everyone has to. It's the designer's choice, they shouldn't be made to give up their designs just to please some rude fans. There's no reason to keep whining about it. He's already responded, you continuing to complain that you want for free something he spent a ton of time working on isn't going to change his mind...

Hey now you are being rude. I wasn’t complaining about not getting it or even trying to make him give it to us! I’m just saying that I think it is a bad choice to put them there. And its not “giving up” their designs. I’m only responding to you, it would have been just two posts if you hadn’t interfered... your the one thats being rude here.

Edited by Star wars lego guy

Purchasing instructions off BrickVault provides an easy process for the buyer, quality PDF instructions, and a parts list.

I've purchased and built models direct from Rasko and Onecase, as well as Jerac's on Brickvault.  Either way, it's a steal for what you are getting.  I can't imagine the time and effort that goes into those creations; they are incredible.  The money they get amounts to almost nothing for their time.  It's really just a way to show appreciation and respect.

I'll have to build this Y-Wing at some point.  <3 Vader's Tie Advanced, Jerac is just on another level.

On 9/5/2020 at 6:16 PM, Schneeds said:

Purchasing instructions off BrickVault provides an easy process for the buyer, quality PDF instructions, and a parts list.

I've purchased and built models direct from Rasko and Onecase, as well as Jerac's on Brickvault.  Either way, it's a steal for what you are getting.  I can't imagine the time and effort that goes into those creations; they are incredible.  The money they get amounts to almost nothing for their time.  It's really just a way to show appreciation and respect.

I'll have to build this Y-Wing at some point.  <3 Vader's Tie Advanced, Jerac is just on another level.

Fine ill stop. Luckily i found another minifig scale y-wing with free instructions...

Just out of curiosity... Has there ever been a thread about what is ok to sell and what is not?

For instance, one could argue that selling instructions to build star wars MOCs infringes on Disney's intellectual property. What about reverse engineering someone else's MOC, and selling the instructions? The original MOCer does not own the intellectual property, so if he doesn't share/sell instructions, could he rightfully complain?

Note to Jerac; I have no intention whatsoever to reverse engineer your MOCs, I'm not insane. 

2 hours ago, Gray_Mouser said:

Just out of curiosity... Has there ever been a thread about what is ok to sell and what is not?

For instance, one could argue that selling instructions to build star wars MOCs infringes on Disney's intellectual property. What about reverse engineering someone else's MOC, and selling the instructions? The original MOCer does not own the intellectual property, so if he doesn't share/sell instructions, could he rightfully complain?

Note to Jerac; I have no intention whatsoever to reverse engineer your MOCs, I'm not insane. 

I haven't seen a thread solely dedicated about that (veteran EB's, please correct me if I'm wrong), but there was a thread about how knockoffs would steal or just resell MOC builder's instructions, which did bring up the example you said. 

Heres the link to the thread I'm talking about: 

Edited by Evergreen
Added link

On 9/5/2020 at 10:16 AM, Schneeds said:

Mhhh selling instructions is a good thing. But i remember when they started to sell the instruction for the samdcrawler. The didnt even build it before selling it to others.... what happend a lot pf mistakes. And the instruction was pretty expensive:)

20 hours ago, Evergreen said:

I haven't seen a thread solely dedicated about that (veteran EB's, please correct me if I'm wrong), but there was a thread about how knockoffs would steal or just resell MOC builder's instructions, which did bring up the example you said. 

That's different. Selling someone else's instructions is theft, plain and simple. But reverse engineering requires a lot of work, and the end product may be different even if it looks the same.