Jerac

[MOC] BTL-S3-ish Y-Wing x 2

Hello!

09MbsI7.png

Y-Wing is the last original trilogy ships I planned to build. It ended up being last because everything else was more interesting: alien-looking TIE Fighters, X-Wing with its crazy angles and wing mechanism, or beautiful little A-Wings. Compared to them, the Y-Wing is much like in SW universe: aging, not particularly effective or nice. But is that so? 

The Y-Wing does come with few tricks. First, is it really slow? This started being a thing with old lucasarts games, but in the movies, Y-wings easily kept up with basically anything else. Over Endor they were chasing and destroying TIE Interceptors. One kept up the pace with an A-Wing, inside the Death Star. And, come on, they are relatively small body attached to two huge engines. Yes, when handling the model you can feel it is much harder to turn than a nimble A-Wing or especially the Interceptor, but in straight speed, I believe Y-Wings are actually not any worse than other ships. They are also tough. In the movies everything dies from one shot so it is pretty irrelevant, but again: Big ship, plenty of space for secondary systems, and so is the model. Except maybe manoeuvering rings, but I believe the ship can fly without these just fine. Maybe a little bit more straight than usual. 

f8o26Xv.png

The build itself was definitely easier than the X-Wing but had few things to solve. The head shape is pretty complex, sloping and curving all the ways, and I ended up using this cockpit piece instead of "the one every MOC builder goes for". This is more for consistency with other ships done for BrickVault which have transparent glass cockpits, but I might revisit the ship to go for the usual part. That said, it has its perks. Sand blue nicely pops from the greebled main section and altough individual side window lengths are all messed up, overall shape does not seem too bad, also giving plenty of space for minifig inside.
The Y-Wing features havily greebled center section, but also with noticeable features which define major shapes. The texture varies in depth between the neck and, for example, engines where it is smoother. Since I was never a fan of dark grey and light grey combination, this was built in a way where the shadows give all the variation, instead of colours. It looks cleaner to me this way. For the same reason the piping is in tan. It should be something like light copper, reddish brown is too dark for this in my opinion.

dKWIllR.png

I explored many options for the struts. Plates with tiles are too thick. Rail tiles are either too short or too long, and definitely too bulky. Technic axles would be fine, except they don't just happen to be available in grey in long enough variant. Flex hoses are too flimsy, and flex hoses with 1x1 tile clips have proper shape, but they are textured too deply. Hence those link pieces... they are a bit too short, but have proper smoothness, texture and offer nice attachment points. As for the manoeuvering rings, amazingly it all holds together pretty nicely even though the shape is quite complex. It mostly is a ring made out of technic tread links, with each piece having a droid claw hand inside, lined with either 1x1 round plates with hole or newer 1x2 rounded plates with holes. 

uMPUhoF.png

ljHggJF.png

...I forgot a tile. Damn. Anyway, I am particularly happy with the cockpit. It might not be Inthert's level but still far better than most of what I done before in this area. And the pilot even gets the fold-out targeting computer!

Unless you try to use waaaaaay bigger newer helmet piece, the pilot fits nicely.

V1w7xnx.png
Landing gear works and the droid goes to the ship from the bottom. I now know it should enter from the top, but this way it is sturdier and has less holes around the arms.

q3iBOo6.png

xcHNEcr.png

The "Red Jammer" variant. Original ship was never used in the movie for whatever reason, but I still like the colour combination. Some parts did not arrive in time, so please excuse me for renders instead of actual photos.
It also seems I got the BTL-S3 name variant wrong. It should be BTL-A4... sorry for that. 

I hope you like it!

Instructions for this ship can be obtained at https://www.brickvault.toys/.

Edited by Jerac

Very impressive builds. I really like the rounded shaping of the cockpit section. Not an easy thing to pull off, yet it looks really neat and clean. Above all, the level of detailing is very impressive. You can really get lost in discovering all the greebling. Superb! :thumbup:

I also like the Y-Wing quite a lot. To me they were like musclecars from the 70s. Heavy and not really light on their feet but rock solid and very powerful. I also like that the Y-wings as we know them from the movies were meant to be "hotrodded" versions of the original model. With exposed bodywork and field-modification. It definitely has character. A bit brutish, but its character. :wink:

Just wow. You're one of my top 3 MOC creators for a reason. :) I have all the pieces for Inthert's version (who is also on my top 3 list btw) buuuuut I'll just have to scrap that and make this instead.

However, I'm curious to hear what you others think of the pipes. Tan VS reddish brown? Tan looks great but most models still seem to have them copper colored. Not sure what is the most accurate compared to the movies; I guess it all depends on the lighting and is impossible to say - just like the infinite white VS light bluish gray discussions for X-wings and Snowspeeders. :D But it would be awesome to see a comparison with the ordinary yellow Y-wing with reddish brown pipes, if possible.

Edited by danielwerner

@Jerac, this MOC is very well built and beautifully photographed - your photography is impressive!

It would be insane not to post your MOC on the Eurobricks frontpage so I've posted it.

Beautiful build Jerac. Love it! The UCS Y wing is my favourite of all the UCS models released by Lego. When I get over my star destroyer obsession this is definitely my next build. Fantastic work!

I knew it...and I was expecting it...gorgeous as always.

Thank you,Jerac...once more?

You made my day!
That was the missing link for a nice minifig scale rebell fleet!
The Model looks awesome by the way!
Thanks so much!

full

Edited by bricksmarlin

Thanks everyone! :D

9 hours ago, danielwerner said:

Just wow. You're one of my top 3 MOC creators for a reason. :) I have all the pieces for Inthert's version (who is also on my top 3 list btw) buuuuut I'll just have to scrap that and make this instead.

However, I'm curious to hear what you others think of the pipes. Tan VS reddish brown? Tan looks great but most models still seem to have them copper colored. Not sure what is the most accurate compared to the movies; I guess it all depends on the lighting and is impossible to say - just like the infinite white VS light bluish gray discussions for X-wings and Snowspeeders. :D But it would be awesome to see a comparison with the ordinary yellow Y-wing with reddish brown pipes, if possible.

Yeah I know it was quiiite bold to go with tan, but aside maybe from copper, this really seemed better for me. Anyway you can always swap this for different colour, it is mostly 4L bars and just few 6L with stop (which you can most likely go with cut flex instead, too). 

Amazing build :thumbup:, another model added to my to build list.

The first thing I looked for, because every other Y-Wing (including the new UCS) gets it wrong, is the "non-centered" wing/engine connection---from head-on, they connect ABOVE the centerline, not in the middle.  This greatly affects the proportions.  And jerac got it right!  I've always figured it was very hard, if not impossible, to connect a cylindrical LEGO assembly "off-center".  But here it is.  

uMPUhoF_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

1 hour ago, steele said:

The first thing I looked for, because every other Y-Wing (including the new UCS) gets it wrong, is the "non-centered" wing/engine connection---from head-on, they connect ABOVE the centerline, not in the middle.  This greatly affects the proportions.  And jerac got it right!  I've always figured it was very hard, if not impossible, to connect a cylindrical LEGO assembly "off-center".  But here it is.  

It is actually super simple. Like, really, I could position it absolutely whenever I want with just adding or removing stacks of plates studs-up, that level of simple. 
With addition of nice pieces to cover undersides of plates - both tiles and curved slopes - we can finally get back to simple, clean studs-up build style and this shows it is definitely possible. Big thanks for noticing this, too!

On 7/13/2019 at 9:54 AM, bricksmarlin said:

You made my day!
That was the missing link for a nice minifig scale rebell fleet!
The Model looks awesome by the way!
Thanks so much!

Okay, I understand B-Wings are thickly shielded, but I am not sure if that rendition of shielding is... accurate. Great fleet though!

Outstanding as usual.  I wouldn't expect anything less.

How wide is the model?  I'm wondering if it will fit in my display cabinet, my Brickwright Y-wing just baaarely fits :)

33 studs. So 26.4 centimeters. It fits VERY snugly in a standard IKEA's Billy cabinet.

3 hours ago, Jerac said:

Okay, I understand B-Wings are thickly shielded, but I am not sure if that rendition of shielding is... accurate. Great fleet though!

Thanks!
The micro-scale fleet is pretty cool, and now comes the minifig-scale fleet!
And damn, you've noticed the super secret shield generators of my B-Wings! :iamded_lol:

Edited by bricksmarlin

argh I just finished brick linking the UCS version, I should have waited for this. another fantastic model Jerac. whats the next design you are working on?

Not sure whether I should bring this to you or Brickvault, but in the partslist included with the instructions, the 1x4 hinge plates (2429c01) are divided into two separate lots, for the top (2430) and base (2429). The overwhelming majority of listings for the part though is as one piece, so wouldn't it be better to have included it in the partslist that way?

4 hours ago, Magmafrost said:

Not sure whether I should bring this to you or Brickvault, but in the partslist included with the instructions, the 1x4 hinge plates (2429c01) are divided into two separate lots, for the top (2430) and base (2429). The overwhelming majority of listings for the part though is as one piece, so wouldn't it be better to have included it in the partslist that way?

I think when you build digital models on like Stud.io or LDD, it has that piece separated as two instead of as one. 

2 hours ago, Evergreen said:

I think when you build digital models on like Stud.io or LDD, it has that piece separated as two instead of as one. 

Yes, that's true, but it's better to modify part list and list only the assembled version since they are way more cheaper and common that the separated lots...

Great model as always!

Hello! 

So I have just finished building Jeracs Y-Wing and it looks absolutely fantastic. Just the amount of detail and the attention to like the angle and shaping of the head is just ingenious. The build was mostly smooth (the final section where you use the treads for the engine ?winglets? was a little rough) and the instructions were very easy to follow. There are a couple errors that I found in the instructions and the parts list where on page 175 step 227 and page 177 step 232 the 1 x 1 plate should be white and not yellow. Brickvaults and jeracs model use the white plates whereas the instructions show it as yellow and the yellow 1x1 are used a little later on for the cockpit. The parts list is just missing the 3x Minifigure, Utensil Handcuffs. And thats just it for errors. Asides from that fantastic work Jerac and thank you for making these instructions! 

Edit: 

Forgot to ask, the landing gear in the engines, is the piece 48336 supposed to not connect all the way to the 33909? Also those landing gears do not go in all the way into the engines. Was there something wrong I did in the build process? Can't seem to find it.

Edited by Evergreen

On 7/15/2019 at 4:59 AM, Magmafrost said:

On 7/15/2019 at 11:16 AM, thire5 said:

Yes, that's true, but it's better to modify part list and list only the assembled version since they are way more cheaper and common that the separated lots...

Great model as always!

Thanks for suggestion - and I fully agree! The thing is, I have no idea how to do it in Stud.io, which is why I eventually left it "as is". I just hoped people would realize it would be better to search for entire part.

14 hours ago, Evergreen said:

Hello! 

So I have just finished building Jeracs Y-Wing and it looks absolutely fantastic. Just the amount of detail and the attention to like the angle and shaping of the head is just ingenious. The build was mostly smooth (the final section where you use the treads for the engine ?winglets? was a little rough) and the instructions were very easy to follow. There are a couple errors that I found in the instructions and the parts list where on page 175 step 227 and page 177 step 232 the 1 x 1 plate should be white and not yellow. Brickvaults and jeracs model use the white plates whereas the instructions show it as yellow and the yellow 1x1 are used a little later on for the cockpit. The parts list is just missing the 3x Minifigure, Utensil Handcuffs. And thats just it for errors. Asides from that fantastic work Jerac and thank you for making these instructions! 

Edit: 

Forgot to ask, the landing gear in the engines, is the piece 48336 supposed to not connect all the way to the 33909? Also those landing gears do not go in all the way into the engines. Was there something wrong I did in the build process? Can't seem to find it.

The yellow plates are not an error, they actually are one part of updates I forgot about when taking photos. Both BV and me had prototypes finished some time before we finalized instructions and this is an effect of this. Thankfully the change is minimal...
Thanks for the info about the handcuffs - updating the XMLs right away! I even know how this happened - I made "my own" handcuff piece to represent the squished one, but forgot that it won't automatically export if I won't name it properly. And guess what, I did not.

As for the plate with handle - yes it very slightly sticks out, but it should not be visible. Landing gear should fully retract, like this:

FrDLxNB.jpg

...and then you fold rear flag piece till it is flush with the body:

twLHzaK.jpg

Big thanks to everyone for appreciation!

Edited by Jerac