pjthebeard

New VIP system

On 3/21/2022 at 12:45 AM, thorin said:

I know we just had a double VIP points, but does anyone know when the next one will be? Trying to plan out my purchases.

Hilarious! I just got my bonus a month early and was thinking the same thing! Just missed the recent VIP and don't want to wait until the inevitable May SW VIP weekend. :)

Got an e-mail today from Lego:

We're making it easier to use VIP points for discounts on LEGO® products.

When you redeem VIP points for a discount, you no longer have to choose whether to use the discount online, in-store, or over the phone. Every VIP discount, can now be used online, in-store or over the phone.

If you still have unused discounts for phone and store orders, which you have already redeemed in the Rewards Center, we will add the relevant value in points back to your VIP account. Any LEGO.com discount you have already redeemed will remain unchanged.

(translated from Dutch)

On 6/29/2022 at 11:53 AM, jfbat said:

Got an e-mail today from Lego:

(translated from Dutch)

That’s a nice step in the right direction. It was unnecessary anyways. Now if they would just get rid of the need to redeem all together. While it’s a very minor inconvenience, it was also unnecessary. 

I cant figure out how to divide these points out. I have 7,035 points. I know that 650 is worth 5 bucks, so its like $50 in credit i think. Whats the best way to divide this out to make it easy to understand? 

Edited by natesroom

So now Target will be awarding VIP points for LEGO purchases, 1 point for $1 spent. Makes me wonder if other retailers will be following suit, also makes me wonder if this is some way for TLG to control sale prices and discounts at Target, as I often get very good deals there.

It will only be in effect through the holiday shopping season, so hopefully it takes off.

Edited by Johnny1360

2 hours ago, Johnny1360 said:

So now Target will be awarding VIP points for LEGO purchases, 1 point for $1 spent.

How do you do this, by scanning VIP card at time of purchase or what?

2 hours ago, Johnny1360 said:

also makes me wonder if this is some way for TLG to control sale prices and discounts at Target

If its tied to the VIP account then it would also give TLG SKU level sales data from Target tied to specific customers which retail stores have historically vehemently resisted sharing, especially with credit card providers/banks. All they see is total purchase amount.

58 minutes ago, koalayummies said:

Something I do not know, yet, as I only just heard about this from a friend, I will have to research it a little more. Maybe someone else knows and will clarify how it will actually work. I do know he read it on brickset a couple of days ago.

Edited by Johnny1360

13 hours ago, koalayummies said:

You have to scan/photo a receipt and then send it to LEGO to approve.

https://www.target.com/c/lego-vip/-/N-iwvey

Get rewarded

Earn 1 VIP point for every dollar spent on LEGO® sets at Target from 7/31–1/31/23.

Step 1

Snap a photo of your
Target receipt

Step 2

Register for a LEGO® VIP account at lego.com/vip & upload your Target receipt

Step 3

Submit your receipt and
start earning VIP points

Edited by TeriXeri

I've got to laugh that LEGO is FINALLY rolling the VIP rewards system back to the very sensible way in which it started. Earn points - redeem points at time of sale. Easy and simple. It was never a fantastic savings, but was a little reward for people that shopped directly with LEGO.

They went and made it stupid and complicated and it took someone years to finally just change it back. Now it's "News" that hey, the system might finally make sense again.

Is this in response to the email i received a couple days ago that i can "now use" my points at the register instead of having to do the unnecessary thing of having to redeem them for some code for redemption that i could then enter into the purchase online or take with me to the store?

10 minutes ago, natesroom said:

Is this in response to the email i received a couple days ago that i can "now use" my points at the register instead of having to do the unnecessary thing of having to redeem them for some code for redemption that i could then enter into the purchase online or take with me to the store?

Yes, first they recently scrapped the whole "choosing between online and in store" thing and then quickly after they announced they were scrapping the necessity to redeem points for a coupon in advance at all, for in-store purchases anyway.

Plus I read that they'll let you use any amount of points for any dollar amount off above $5. So if for example you have enough points for $12.57, you can get $12.57 off.

I mean, it's still stupid that they changed points to be almost arbitrary amounts per dollar. 1 dollar used to be 1 point, 100 points was $5 off (as I recall). How simple was that?!

yeah it was easy to compute...it makes people think "oh wow! i'm getting 2600 points on triple points day!!! umm thats just $16

8 hours ago, Clone OPatra said:

I mean, it's still stupid that they changed points to be almost arbitrary amounts per dollar. 1 dollar used to be 1 point, 100 points was $5 off (as I recall). How simple was that?!

1 is still 1 point based on the Danish Krona, but the rest were adjusted for local currency values, ranging from 8 for UK, to 0.30 for Czech Koruna, and in a special case, Hungary where it's 100 Forint for 2 points.

Vouchers are also different in other areas, so in UK, you spend 800 points for 5 pounds discount, but Hungary, you need 600 points for 1500FT discount, and a set like UCS AT-AT is priced ~289.000 there (which in return would gain you ~5800 VIP points back (rounded to even numbers)

However, since then, currency values have fluctuated a lot, so it's still never going to be accurate.

https://www.lego.com/en-gb/service/help/lego_vip/lego_vip/what-are-lego-vip-points-worth-kA009000001dbuZCAQ

Would be nice if you could do a single "redeem all" for a nearly spending all points without needing to be at 650/750/800 point gaps (UK / EU / US) as examples.

Edited by TeriXeri

In Canada, at least on my VIP account, you have to redeem points in $5, $20, $50, $100 increments only, and for a code that you enter online for a discount. 

2 hours ago, Locutis said:

In Canada, at least on my VIP account, you have to redeem points in $5, $20, $50, $100 increments only, and for a code that you enter online for a discount. 

I think the numerical values are same everywhere, in whatever the local currency is. If you want $35 off, you get a $20 voucher and 3x$5. You can enter as many money off vouchers as you like.

Well, my experience with Lego VIP has been a total nightmare.

I tried to use my points in the store once, and the guy couldn't figure it out no matter what. He could see my points but couldn't apply them. This was a while ago.

Then I went online months ago and tried to figure it out. I had a VIP card with like 9000 points but they weren't linked to my Lego account. I spend hours with different agents online trying to figure it out but they couldn't and the chats kept going dead so I had to finally call in and talk to a person live.

He also couldn't get my account to connect. I finally had to make an all new Lego account, with a different email address, and that was the only thing that worked. It just sucked to lose my lists, account history, etc. And now I have to check a second email just for Lego stuff.

But then to make things worse, there's how actual rewards work. You can't just select when you buy something to use your points, you have to go through the stupid BS where you exchange your points for -- get this -- a discount CODE. That you have to, like, write down or copy to a file. Like an 80's NES game continuation code. Sure, they SAY they will send you an email with the codes, but here I am an hour later and I've only received ONE out of FOUR codes in my email. And of course it's not in my spam folder because I checked that plus I did receive one of the emails.

But, that's okay right, because it's 2023. You should be able to just select one of you codes in a drop down as you check out, right? RIGHT? Because it's 2023 and databases exist, right? NO.

If you literally didn't copy down the code when you got it, and your email didn't come (like mine), you're SOL unless you can somehow find where they have hidden your codes.

Oh, I found my codes alright. It's just absolutely ridiculous where you have to get them from. Are the codes in VIP Home? Nope. Rewards? Nope. Activity? Nope. Nowhere that would make sense. But they are under the vaguely named VIP account menu option. But then you can't even see them until you scroll down and find your history and then you STILL can't see them. There is my "reward redeemed" activity, there is "-6500" points, but WHERE THE **** IS MY CODE? Oh, then you have to know to click on the "Rewards Redeemed" header to reveal the code, which is effing weird because the first header showed the activity just not the code.

Anyway. This is all very obviously designed to be as terrible as possible to use. They very, very clearly have hidden the codes and hope you just lose them. I mean, most people wouldn't bother. I haven't. It's taken me YEARS to finally redeem these stupid points because something ALWAYS goes wrong when I try.

Anyway. If you feel like responding to defend this bull****, I will straight up block you no questions asked.

Edited by danth

In case anyone hadn't noticed, you can get the 30644 Vintage Car Creator polybag for 500 VIP points (so equivalent of just over £3 worth of discount). I've not seen this one anywhere else in the UK yet, although presumably it is out in Europe as there are lots available on BL from German and Dutch sellers. I got one that came in an order at the weekend, it is not a bad little build. It also has a couple of the fairly new gold crown coins in it, handy for Castle builders wanting some more money if you don't want to keep them in the car.

30644-1.jpg?202212020948

LEGO has been giving me trouble when I updated my online Target.com pick up orders, what sucks is the the receipt for online orders is different and not complete but when I purchased another Lego set at the store the instore copy was good to go, even with the detailed online print receipt is split into two, I got a bunch of denied LEGO notifications from the VIP because of it, has anyone had success doing so? 

Edited by eldiano

7 hours ago, Johnny1360 said:

Didn't the Target VIP thing end January 31?

All the fan sites reporting it had that as the end date.

Since I complained about how hard it is to use VIP points, I should give my other, opposite reaction to shopping on the Lego website.

I do think the rewards are pretty generous. I made one order that wasn't even $200, and got THREE free sets? The Flower Pot, the 4x4 Off-Road Ambulance Rescue, AND the Spring Fun VIP Add On pack. And I think I even used VIP points on that purchase if I remember right.

Does anyone have an idea how many, if there is a limit, $x discounts you can redeem in store?

After I redeem for the $100 off I’ll have 2,720 left which I was planning on getting a $20 discount. But with the $5 being 162 pats each I could buy a lot...16 of them. Will that work? I’ve never done this many(doubt anyone else has either...).

Edited by Vindicare

2 hours ago, Vindicare said:

But with the $5 being 162 pats each I could buy a lot...16 of them.

Unfortunately, they limit you, you can only get 3 of the discounted discounts.

52 minutes ago, Rogue Redcoat said:

Unfortunately, they limit you, you can only get 3 of the discounted discounts.

Is that for the whole of the sale? I can’t just redeem the 3 then go back & do it again? Or I can just get normal priced $5 ones I suppose. I have the points to get a $100 & $20(without taking the $5 sale into it). I could get the 3 discount ones & three regular $5 & still come out ahead....I think? Haha...I don’t do the discount thing that often, if it’s not obvious enough. 

5 hours ago, Vindicare said:

Is that for the whole of the sale? I can’t just redeem the 3 then go back & do it again? Or I can just get normal priced $5 ones I suppose. I have the points to get a $100 & $20(without taking the $5 sale into it). I could get the 3 discount ones & three regular $5 & still come out ahead....I think? Haha...I don’t do the discount thing that often, if it’s not obvious enough. 

You can get three maximum at the discounted price.