pjthebeard

New VIP system

I have not used my VIP points since the new system was implemented and had a couple questions. Sorry if these have already been addressed.

First, I live in Canada and previously I have been able to redeem my VIP points in the USA dollar for dollar. Does anyone know if this can still be done or will there be currency conversion now?

Also, how long does it take for the redemption to process? If I am at the Lego store and know I have enough points for a $50 credit, can I redeem on my phone and give them the code or does it take several minutes/hours/days for the system to issue the reward?

On 8/14/2019 at 12:51 PM, Hive said:

How does the "VIP card on your phone" thing work? I can't seem to find info on it...

Customer service had to walk me through this, but basically it's a virtual card in apple wallet.

The new VIP system works so well, I find myself increasingly focusing on sales at Amazon instead of dealing the Lego shop at all. And is it just me or has there been an increase of non-set Gift with Purchase offerings (Lego-logo bling instead of bricks) since the printed calendars went away and the new VIP system kicked in?  While I could always find a use for multiple copies of a small set or or polybag, I don't need ten totes or a dozen picnic blankets or pencils or lunch boxes, between useless (for me anyway) bling and making it harder to use my VIP points for cash discounts, they are really driving away my business.  Yes, I'm still buying Lego, but I have a lot less motivation to actually go to any of their physical stores now and I'm sitting around with a full shopping cart at S@H waiting for a GwP that makes buying from them worth while.  Meanwhile I'm picking things up at 20% off at Amazon and saying forget the points.

If the goal was to make buying direct from Lego more competitive vs online retailers, they missed the mark big time. 

I think they could learn a thing or two about how to run a VIP program from my favorite ice cream shop: I stop in, I buy something; I earn points that never expire; and, when I go to check out, if I've earned a reward they ask me if I want to redeem it (the reward is my choice of cash off my current purchase or a slightly larger credit (which never expires either) toward anything else they sell)  Simple, clean and all I need to do is carry a bar code or tell them my email address.  Come to think of it, it sounds a lot like the system Lego just retired.  Sometimes I just really hate change...

You can still use your points for a cash discount, I don't get the complaining. Yes, it's a few more clicks - but it can't hardly be THAT cumbersome to you...

Personally, I like the new setup much better. I'd rather spend my VIP points on rare, exclusive former GWP sets than use them for a cash discount. Because it cash discounts were all that, why would anyone ever buy directly from LEGO in the first place? Much better cash discounts can always be found in so many other stores, be it online or physical.

Now if only they'd give us some more GWP sets to spend the points on soon...

I hope I'm not the only one that doesn't really understand this new system. Even after reading the linked Brickset Q&A its hard to see the positives of the change aside from the normalization of values across the globe.

All the rest is extra hoops to jump through for in-store redemption discouraging for impulse visits and seems like the whole thing was a bit rushed with a lot of 'we are working on this, looking to update that, in the future...' responses.

To me it really hasn't changed that much...

• GWPs or exclusive sets have always been the only reason to shop at S@H, better discounts can be had elsewhere
  • they still have regular GWPs
  • instead of just a small discount on future orders, points can now be used for extra GWPs which is better in my book (the Iconic VIP set was great)

There are a couple of things which I would like though:

• There should always be at least one GWP small set or polybag available, just keychains, posters & prints doesn't do it for me
  • Get rid of the downloadable colouring sheets
  • I'd be up for an e-mail notification when a new GWP (with actual LEGO bricks or figures) was available
  • Why not offer some of the awesome posters they have on the walls at the LEGO House, those I would actually like to hang on my walls

12 hours ago, ShaydDeGrai said:

The new VIP system works so well, I find myself increasingly focusing on sales at Amazon instead of dealing the Lego shop at all. And is it just me or has there been an increase of non-set Gift with Purchase offerings (Lego-logo bling instead of bricks) since the printed calendars went away and the new VIP system kicked in?  While I could always find a use for multiple copies of a small set or or polybag, I don't need ten totes or a dozen picnic blankets or pencils or lunch boxes, between useless (for me anyway) bling and making it harder to use my VIP points for cash discounts, they are really driving away my business.  Yes, I'm still buying Lego, but I have a lot less motivation to actually go to any of their physical stores now and I'm sitting around with a full shopping cart at S@H waiting for a GwP that makes buying from them worth while.  Meanwhile I'm picking things up at 20% off at Amazon and saying forget the points.

If the goal was to make buying direct from Lego more competitive vs online retailers, they missed the mark big time. 

I think they could learn a thing or two about how to run a VIP program from my favorite ice cream shop: I stop in, I buy something; I earn points that never expire; and, when I go to check out, if I've earned a reward they ask me if I want to redeem it (the reward is my choice of cash off my current purchase or a slightly larger credit (which never expires either) toward anything else they sell)  Simple, clean and all I need to do is carry a bar code or tell them my email address.  Come to think of it, it sounds a lot like the system Lego just retired.  Sometimes I just really hate change...

I got a tote bag last year when HP made its comeback, & that was well before the new system. But it does seem like it’s increased recently. 

7 hours ago, LegoFjotten said:

To me it really hasn't changed that much...

• GWPs or exclusive sets have always been the only reason to shop at S@H, better discounts can be had elsewhere
  • they still have regular GWPs
  • instead of just a small discount on future orders, points can now be used for extra GWPs which is better in my book (the Iconic VIP set was great)

There are a couple of things which I would like though:

• There should always be at least one GWP small set or polybag available, just keychains, posters & prints doesn't do it for me
  • Get rid of the downloadable colouring sheets
  • I'd be up for an e-mail notification when a new GWP (with actual LEGO bricks or figures) was available
  • Why not offer some of the awesome posters they have on the walls at the LEGO House, those I would actually like to hang on my walls

Your last point, about emails, is great. I once again can’t get into see my points or what is available to buy, because I get kicked back to the homepage...

...some months later...

A little disappointed there haven't been any new rewards with actual bricks or minifigures since the launch. What is up with that?

Still think they should get rid of all the fluff, basically everything at 10 points should just be given away elsewhere instead of cluttering up the list. 

I guess they need the 10 point stuff to make it look like they have rewards to give away. If they remove those and the "SOLD OUT" stuff, there would hardly be anything left.

Hey people!

So I HAVE A QUESTION AND I NEED HELP!

Yeeaaars ago I lived in the US so when I made my LEGO account it was US based. The old VIP system didn't give me any trouble when I moved to the UK. I could actually obtain and use the points in any country. 

So for the first time I tried the new VIP system. I've been gathering points. I have 50 pounds to spend. Well I go to the rewards section and it's automatically going to the USA based rewards. $$$ off and not pounds. I can't find any settings in the account settings to change the region within the rewards section (it's easily done at shop.lego.com). I've tried erasing my cookies and stuff. Nothing has worked. I can't seem to get UK based rewards.

So I'd email LEGO. 5-9 day responses though... I thought I'd try anyways. "Something went wrong. Try again later" every time, on multiple computers.

Anyone have experience with this? I was pro the new VIP system until this despite it's cumbersomeness. Now I just hate it :P.

Have you tried going into your account on Lego.com & edit your profile there, in the 'my information' you can change your country/region. I think the VIP account should be liked & update but I can't guarantee this as I have not actually tried it.

39 minutes ago, RoddyMac said:

Have you tried going into your account on Lego.com & edit your profile there, in the 'my information' you can change your country/region. I think the VIP account should be liked & update but I can't guarantee this as I have not actually tried it.

Yeah I've tried that. I'm in the UK in there but it just switches to the US in the rewards (oddly while saying IN THE ADDRESS BAR that it's Great Britain...). Thanks though! 

Edited by BrickG

On 12/12/2019 at 7:10 PM, LegoFjotten said:

...some months later...

A little disappointed there haven't been any new rewards with actual bricks or minifigures since the launch. What is up with that?

Still think they should get rid of all the fluff, basically everything at 10 points should just be given away elsewhere instead of cluttering up the list. 

I completely agree with this. I too am quite disappointed with the offerings the last many months. They started out with a bang, but we've seen nothing of interest since then.

Rewards with actual bricks in them been permanently sold out, since the start, not sure why they even have them on the site.

I agree that the new system is pretty pointless without decent reward options.  I'd have gotten that VIP set, but I've never seen it available.  However, I don't get the hate for it, either - it's not very different than it was before if you just want to use it for discounts.  I bought Corner Garage with $50 off today.  First time using points since the new system, I didn't even realize I had so many points.

The only reason I even accumulated points is: exclusives, giveaways, and the rare steep (like 30%) discount.  But it's always been the case that VIP points were never a bargain over cheaper prices elsewhere, anyway.

I suppose they figure most VIP card holders are parents, hence all the color sheets & such. I did consider that VIP set as I missed out on it. But ultimately I didn’t feel the points were worth it. That would likely be a different story if they offer the Rocket Ride, depending on the amount. 

But now that I’ve finally used points on vouchers, it was a lot easier than I assumed. I figured they would email vouchers that we then had to print or show at the register, but it just went on the card. Them not having these other “freebies” isn’t such a big deal to me, as dollar discounts are priority. But I can see how it would irk people, like with the Batpod. 

They should reward their VIP members for answering the "Calling our VIP members - please give feedback" after a purchase in a store. I'm sure they would see the response rate go up. 

On January 12, 2020 at 1:53 PM, fred67 said:

I agree that the new system is pretty pointless without decent reward options.  I'd have gotten that VIP set, but I've never seen it available.  However, I don't get the hate for it, either ... (snip)

At least in my case "hate" is probably too strong a word to describe the new program - "dislike," "disappointed by" and "irritated by" summarize my feelings better.

I've been a "VIP" holder since the days when we used to fill our wallets with little loyalty cards that they stamped with mini-fig heads so I've participated in several iterations of what Lego thinks it is to earn "VIP" rewards.  For my time/money/energy, this latest revision is pretty pointless, it creates hurtles (granted most of those are low) to getting cash rewards and makes a big deal out of offering you the chance to "redeem rewards" for a lot of non-brick minutia that, were I running the TLG, I'd probably just write off as advertising and give away free at store events or as unexpected GwP bonuses.  

I just don't see the value added (from a consumer standpoint) in differentiating a $20 reward valid in the store versus a $20 reward for on-line purchases - twenty Lego bucks is twenty Lego bucks whether I spend it on-line or in person, why should I have to decide ahead of time?  For that matter, why should I have to "decide" at all, they still haven't integrated the whole VIP rewards scheme into their web presence (separate login, separate cookies, etc.)  Again, were I running TLG, this would be a high priority, if I know who the user is at S@H (or if they self identify in the store), I should know if they are a VIP member and how many points they have, and when they go to check out, the system should be smart enough to offer to redeem all or part of their points for them on the spot.  Other reward systems have been doing this for years (granted some of those impose further (occasionally inconvenient) restrictions for fraud prevention - such as points can only be used on orders that ship to the address of record or a physical card is required for in-store application) but somehow TLG thinks they have "improved" your shopping experience by bouncing you over to their reward center to buy a voucher so you can come back and apply it to your shopping cart during checkout.  It doesn't really matter how simple or successful those extra steps are, the fact that a menial, invasive, clerical task was pushed onto the user when the system had all the information to perform the operation transparently is just bad UX design.

As for non-voucher rewards, as I said, pretty pointless.  Coloring sheets and posters?  TLG would get more good will out of just giving that stuff away to any kid who wants it, VIP or not.  Tickets to discovery centers and parks? They _used_ to give that stuff away, or at least BOGO or "Kids go free with adult ticket purchase" variations; at one point it seemed like every other shipment I got from S@H had at least one coupon like that in it.  A second chance to get a past GwP set or some cool exclusive (SDCC, regional promotional stuff, etc)?  Now that's cool, pity it feels like that whole thing was something of a bait and switch; getting one of the rare brick-based rewards makes you feel more like a lottery winner than a VIP customer.  

Purely by chance, I used most of my VIP points just before the new system kicked in so I have a pretty good picture of what my spending habits have been since this all started.  I've got a little over 26k points right now which might sound like a lot to some, but to me, it means they've lost a lot of my business to Amazon.  Part of that is a function of GwP options (which I haven't been overjoyed with of late - too many non-set items (totes, lunch boxes, posters, minifigs, keyrings, etc.)) and part has just been a VIP program that feels neither "person"-al nor "very important".  Amazon gives me 25% off, free shipping, cash back on their credit card, and keeps track of what I already own so it gives me better recommendations and doesn't try to sell me the same thing twice.  When being "just another customer" over there is a more "rewarding" experience than being a "VIP" over here, we have a problem.

I don't "hate" the new system, but with the resources available to TLG, they should really have done better even if they're not an Amazon goliath.

Can you share the 5/20/etc pounds off codes so anyone can use them or are they tied to your account somehow (despite emailing you a number)?

My wife gave me 30 worth of codes. If I ever solve my USA / UK issue (they've not responded but I finally got out an email) I would like to combine my points with her point numbers she's shared with me and buy on one account. Is that doable?

15 hours ago, ShaydDeGrai said:

At least in my case "hate" is probably too strong a word to describe the new program - "dislike," "disappointed by" and "irritated by" summarize my feelings better. ...

I pretty much agree with all of this post. LEGO made a substantial change, but it was a sideways step not a step forwards. If anything, it is backwards slightly. If just exchanging for money off, it is not a big deal but you do have to decide before time if you want instore vouchers, especially if you have no internet connection in store.

But for the gifts, I find it quite pathetic. They used to give colouring sheets away for free on the kids site. Now they charge VIP points for them. They show you (brick based) awards you cannot have as they do not stock them. What is the point, it just irritates customers.

14 hours ago, BrickG said:

Can you share the 5/20/etc pounds off codes so anyone can use them or are they tied to your account somehow (despite emailing you a number)?

My wife gave me 30 worth of codes. If I ever solve my USA / UK issue (they've not responded but I finally got out an email) I would like to combine my points with her point numbers she's shared with me and buy on one account. Is that doable?

I’m not sure, might be able to if you called them. I finally used vouchers & all it did was add the credit to my VIP card. Then it was scanned at the register. 

Just to update my situation (just in case anyone else is in this situation)...

They defaulted my rewards to the US since I was in the US when I created my account. So all my rewards were in DOLLARS. That didn't use to matter as the points were usable in any country. But now it does matter.

So they fixed it for me and made my account see POUNDS since I live in the UK. They did it easily. But it took like a week for them to respond.

And now I can get UK based rewards which match where I've been living for almost 6 years.

That's all.

It seems they updated their page again, different artwork.

Also some new Wallpapers from the Stadium and Fossils.

And some new physical prints under the Originals branding.

At least they removed the rewards that were never in stock.

Edited by TeriXeri

More artwork and wallpapers, yay... :thumbdown:

Edited by Hive