Legostein

[MOCs] Creator 31066 Space Shuttle: Additional models

Hello everybody!

It's been a while since my last creative input here, my apologies. Thus I am very happy to share something with you again. :classic: Besides mini model building, I am also a great fan of alternate building with the 3in1 Creator sets. These often come with a great parts variety and are a great source of inspiration. I very much like building alternate models with the whole parts of these sets to go beyond the official builing proposals, but not so this time! Today I would like to show you what can be done with the leftover pieces once you built one of the official building proposals. The set 31066 Space Shuttle Explorer was released in the year 2017 and unfortunately already disappeared from the market. However it is still widely available via online shopping. The set contains 274 pieces plus 12 extra parts, and has instructions for 3 main models:

• Space Shuttle (no leftover pieces)
  • Surface Station (97 leftover pieces)
  • 6-wheeled Rover (127 leftover pieces)

Looking at the big number of leftover pieces, a new idea comes to mind: Additional models from the leftover pieces instead of new alternate models! :classic: The idea was to create an entire small space theme becasue there was none in the year 2017. Of course this entire project seems meaningless with regards towards the new official city space theme released in the new catalogue 2019. But I will share the general idea with you anyway.

Image 1: Primary model - Space shuttle, no leftovers.

31066-shuttle.jpg

Image 2: Secondary Model - Surface Station, 97 leftover pices!

31066-base-skimmer-1.jpg

Image 3: Space Hopper built from the leftover pieces of the official surface station model.

31066-base-skimmer-2.jpg

Image 4: Space Hopper and Surface Station.

31066-base-skimmer-3.jpg

Image 5: Secondary Model - 6-wheeled Rover, 127 leftover pices!

31066-rover-antenna-1.jpg

Image 6: Communications Antenna built from the leftover pieces of the official Rover model.

31066-rover-antenna-2.jpg

Image 7: Communications Antenna and Rover.

31066-rover-antenna-3.jpg

Image 8: The complete space theme consisting of 3x set 31066.

31066-theme.jpg

So when you build a different model besides the primary model, have a look at the leftover pieces, there's lots of potential in them! Have a good time and happy building! :classic:

~ Chris

Thanks for posting!  The space hopper is fun and I really like the antenna.  I think I'm going to have to build it myself.  Some time ago I bought a couple extra copies of 31066 for a 2017 Space line, but I focused on improving the Moonbase, which resulted in a smaller rover and left too few parts to build any kind of space scooter afterwards.  Here's a potato quality photo of that; there are better images of individual builds in my Flickr album.

Spaceship! Rover! Moonbase!

These are all very cool! I'd love if people could share LXF or Studio files of these models, but I realize not everyone enjoys building their model a 2nd time on the computer... 

Would it be possible to get a picture or two showing how the antenna is built?  Thanks.

Hello again,

and thank you for your comments! :classic:

Of course instructions are available as usually. We're just waiting until the BrickShelf gallery with the instructions has been moderared... :wink:

Meanwhile you can drop me a personal message and I will send you a file with the instructions.

Cheers,

Chris