MatthewRC

More LEGO Ghostbusters in 2020?

Hey, everyone. I heard that a sequel to Ghostbusters II is finally happening next year, so I was guessing we'd get sets based on the new Ghostbusters movie next year.

Even though Playmobil got the license in back 2017, their toys are more like model kits than a "highly-sophisticated interlocking brick system".

Also, we got a Ghostbusters BrickHeadz set in 2018 while Playmobil's Ghostbusters toyline was being sold in stores. So LEGO may still have the Ghostbusters license, I think.

What are your thoughts, guys?

I‘m not sure if they‘ve still got the license, but even if they didn‘t, they‘re on very good terms with Universal so renewing it wouldn‘t be an issue at all :sweet:

Personally, I hope they‘ll release sets based on the upcoming sequel; seems to be right up TLG‘s alley :thumbup:

I guess they will go off sales of previous GB sets to decide if it is worthwhile them doing it. They have enough sales data to know whether the franchise sells. I don't know how well the sets for the newer Ghostbusters movie did, but if not great then hopefully they will ignore those if they are returning to the original cast and storyline.

7 hours ago, Lego-Freak said:

I‘m not sure if they‘ve still got the license, but even if they didn‘t, they‘re on very good terms with Universal so renewing it wouldn‘t be an issue at all :sweet:

Personally, I hope they‘ll release sets based on the upcoming sequel; seems to be right up TLG‘s alley :thumbup:

Ghostbusters is actually a Sony Pictures property, not Universal.

13 minutes ago, MatthewRC said:

Ghostbusters is actually a Sony Pictures property, not Universal.

You‘re right, how could I forget it was Columbia :facepalm: I even came across a list of Columbia/Sony flops recently that included this years MIB:I and 2016‘s GB reboot but that somehow must‘ve slipped my memory... So my „good terms“ statement can be ignored as well :grin: Or is there another Sony property they‘ve recently had a license for? (Far from home doesn‘t count)

3 hours ago, Lego-Freak said:

You‘re right, how could I forget it was Columbia :facepalm: I even came across a list of Columbia/Sony flops recently that included this years MIB:I and 2016‘s GB reboot but that somehow must‘ve slipped my memory... So my „good terms“ statement can be ignored as well :grin: Or is there another Sony property they‘ve recently had a license for? (Far from home doesn‘t count)

As far as I know, Ghostbusters is the first (and currently only) Sony property to be licensed by LEGO.

2016‘s GB reboot

I still don't understand why this was a flop.
I've seen this movie and loved it like I loved the very first movie.
Nothing can be compared with the first movie however with that great, on the edge, interaction between Murray and Sigourney.

Or is there another Sony property they‘ve recently had a license for? (Far from home doesn‘t count)

The Amazing Spider-Man 2, yet again that was 5 years ago.

20 hours ago, MatthewRC said:

Even though Playmobil got the license in back 2017, their toys are more like model kits than a "highly-sophisticated interlocking brick system".

Also, we got a Ghostbusters BrickHeadz set in 2018 while Playmobil's Ghostbusters toyline was being sold in stores. So LEGO may still have the Ghostbusters license, I think.

Ghostbusters was never exclusive. Play mobile got the license, it wasn't an exclusive deal. That's how LEGO still sold the sets as Playmobile has the license too. 

I just don't think the line sold that great and what else would they do? They already have two versions of the Echo, that's all we need.

1 hour ago, MatthewRC said:

As far as I know, Ghostbusters is the first (and currently only) Sony property to be licensed by LEGO.

Spiderman 

5 hours ago, Maple said:

Ghostbusters was never exclusive. Play mobile got the license, it wasn't an exclusive deal. That's how LEGO still sold the sets as Playmobile has the license too. 

I just don't think the line sold that great and what else would they do? They already have two versions of the Echo, that's all we need.

How about a set based on the final battle against Gozer featuring a giant brickbuilt Stay Puft Marshmallow Man minifigure (think of Giant Ant-Man, Ares and that 4-armed warrior from Ninjago Legacy)?

15 hours ago, coinoperator said:

I still don't understand why this was a flop.
I've seen this movie and loved it like I loved the very first movie.
Nothing can be compared with the first movie however with that great, on the edge, interaction between Murray and Sigourney.

I imagine a substantial portion of it is down to the casting compared to the original. The change to an all female lead cast inspires both interest from some and hate (or just lack of interest)  from others. But then I don't think I would have seen it with four new male leads either. I saw the trailer and decided against seeing it. I thought it was quite cynical, a remake for the sake of a remake trying to cash in on the original name. The problem for me was the cast, in that it wasn't Bill Murray in a lead role, who really made the original GB what it is.

I'm sure the female leads could have made a decent *original* comedy movie and it would have been fine. There are more and more female led movies that don't seem to have the intention of alienating men through the marketing, which is great. The recent Wine Country with/by Amy Poehler, Trainwreck, Bridesmaids, Juno, Pitch Perfect, Easy A, Legally Blonde, Clueless, etc. They are all good comedies, which have a lead female(s). It is the story that is most important, not the gender of the leads. If so much is made of the genders, the story is lost and forgotten about. Also the indirect social media marketing seemed a bit strange. Some of it seemed to want to somehow annoy men in an attempt to get women to see the movie, it just seemed weird. Men can watch female led comedies - they are likely to be a substantial part of the audience.

18 hours ago, Maple said:

I hope the Scooby-Doo license is non-exclusive as well.

Sorry, but I wanted to say something off-topic.

On 7/8/2019 at 5:11 PM, MatthewRC said:

Hey, everyone. I heard that a sequel to Ghostbusters II is finally happening next year, so I was guessing we'd get sets based on the new Ghostbusters movie next year.

What are your thoughts, guys?

Upon seeing this inquiry of yours, the very first thing I thought was that a potential GB 2020 set(s) would assuredly be the second time Finn Wolfhard would see Lego representation after this year's Stranger Things D2C. :shrug_oh_well:

On 7/9/2019 at 3:29 PM, J4ck said:

I’m sure Angry Birds is Sony, the sets came out 3 years ago and potentially next year too.

We can debate on how well things sold, but there is no chance of Angry Birds getting more sets if LEGO has any common sense. I bought the Angry Birds Castle from Target.com THIS YEAR for 70% off. I have never seen sets from a small theme not sell as much as Angry Birds.

Plus why would Lego release sets next year when the second movie comes out next month?

28 minutes ago, Maple said:

We can debate on how well things sold, but there is no chance of Angry Birds getting more sets if LEGO has any common sense. I bought the Angry Birds Castle from Target.com THIS YEAR for 70% off. I have never seen sets from a small theme not sell as much as Angry Birds.

Plus why would Lego release sets next year when the second movie comes out next month?

You’re right, Maple. I doubt LEGO will make sets based on the next Angry Birds movie at all.

8 hours ago, Maple said:

Oh it comes out next month? I thought it was next year.

58 minutes ago, MatthewRC said:

Guys? Our dreams of getting more Ghostbusters sets may have been dashed. Mega Construx might have gotten the license!

However, let’s just wait for an official announcement.

https://www.megaconstrux.com/en-us/community/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4943

Um, they're also rumored to be acquiring the Game of Thrones license??? Right after that show's heavily-panned conclusion??? :wacko:

13 minutes ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Um, they're also rumored to be acquiring the Game of Thrones license??? Right after that show's heavily-panned conclusion??? :wacko:

Yep, they sure are.