Sariel

The new t28 gear wheel and its uses

Here are all the possible combinations for the new 28t double bevel gear wheel that I found so far. Do you have more?

Do all combinations run equally smooth? The combinations with 24z and 40z seem really tight, but that may be a matter of the perspective.

It's strange that it won't mesh with a worm gear. I thought that 8z, 16z, 24z and 40z all mesh with the 2M (old) worm gear and 12z, 20z and 36z with the new (although I'm not certain). I figured the 28z would fit in the 2nd sequence, but it just may be the odd one out. Have you tried with a 1.5M offset and the new 1M gear? @Doug72 had a setup meshing with the turn table, but I can't find the corresponding thread anymore.

You can make it mesh with the new 1 stud long worm gear, you just need half a stud offset.

Edited by Zerobricks

6 hours ago, Ludo Visser said:

Do all combinations run equally smooth? The combinations with 24z and 40z seem really tight, but that may be a matter of the perspective.

It's strange that it won't mesh with a worm gear. I thought that 8z, 16z, 24z and 40z all mesh with the 2M (old) worm gear and 12z, 20z and 36z with the new (although I'm not certain). I figured the 28z would fit in the 2nd sequence, but it just may be the odd one out. Have you tried with a 1.5M offset and the new 1M gear? @Doug72 had a setup meshing with the turn table, but I can't find the corresponding thread anymore.

See this topic

New 1L worm can mesh OK with Z60 & Z28 turntables so will also be possible with the new 28T bevel gear, you just need to build in a 1/2 stud for worm gear axle.

Edited by Doug72

I wouldn't count 16t gear among those that mesh with 28t (at least not in the configuration shown), as it'll probably skip very easily under load. The meshing doesn't seem to be very good, there's a significant gap between the teeth.

10 hours ago, aeh5040 said:

So now we are just missing the 32t!

And helical versions of all the different size cogs *hint hint LEGO*

On ‎7‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 11:40 AM, Ludo Visser said:

It's not an odd one out.

• 8z mates with old worm if distance is 1.0 stud, i.e. (8 + 8) / 16
  • 16z mates with old worm if distance is 1.5 stud, i.e. (16 + 8) / 16
  • 24z mates with old worm if distance is 2.0 stud, i.e. (24 + 8) / 16
  • 32z mates with old worm if distance is 2.5 stud, i.e. (32 + 8) / 16 (doesn't exist)
  • 40z mates with old worm if distance is 3.0 stud, i.e. (40 + 8) / 16
  • 48z mates with old worm if distance is 3.5 stud, i.e. (48 + 8) / 16 (doesn't exist)
  • 56z mates with old worm if distance is 5.0 stud, i.e. (56 + 8) / 16 (old turntable)

and

• 12z mates with new worm if distance is 1.5 stud, i.e. (12 + 12) / 16
  • 20z mates with new worm if distance is 2.0 stud, i.e. (20 + 12) / 16
  • 28z mates with new worm if distance is 2.5 stud, i.e. (28 + 12) / 16
  • 36z mates with new worm if distance is 3.0 stud, i.e. (36 + 12) / 16
  • 44z mates with new worm if distance is 3.5 stud, i.e. (44 + 12) / 16 (doesn't exist)
  • 52z mates with new worm if distance is 4.0 stud, i.e. (52 + 12) / 16 (doesn't exist)
  • 60z mates with new worm if distance is 4.5 stud, i.e. (60 + 12) / 16 (new turntable)

This is because two gears of A and B teeth can mesh if the distance between the centers of the axles is (A + B) / 16. And the old worm has the same radius as the 8z and the new worm has the same radius of the 12z.

There interesting thing for an inline mesh (with paralle axles) is that if A + B is given, A and B can be varied. So if 20t + 20t can mesh, then for the same axle setup, so can any other combination whose sum is 40, which is 16t + 24t, and 12t + 28t (and 8t + 32t if such a gear will ever exist).

Therefore, it doesn't susprise me that 28t + 16t is a bad mesh. it's the same as the 20t + 24t we saw in the Chiron reverse gear, which got some critique.

Edit: Personally, I'm especially happy with the mesh of the 28t with the 8t, where previously 24t-12t had to be used. That makes it possible to achieve much greater reductions over that specific distance (2 sideways, 1 up).

Edited by Erik Leppen