Spud The Viking

[COR - FB] Spudkirk Harbour

Large Commercial in Spudkirk

What was once shacks and shelters, Spudkirk has developed into a growing settlement. This was largely helped by the addition of a stone watchtower and harbourmaster's office in the newly created harbour. These mark the first permanent buildings in the settlement, ones that will endure the wilds of colonial life.

48196271142_bc2f8035bb_c.jpg

Speaking to Lord Spud [on the right of the picture] is the officer William 'Billy' Boyne. Basically Spud's right-hand-man, he is in charge of looking after the defences in Spudkirk as well as a few other roles.

48196278832_7cc2390706_c.jpg

The marketplace was full of hustle and bustle, with fisherman, farmers, and troops from the Grand Expedition drilling. The soldiers are quite anxious for some action or adventure, some are less amused with settlement life.

These were the first robust structures in Spudkirk - and judging by the skill, determination, and diligence of the settlers - it shall not be the last. God save the Queen!

More pictures:

Edited by Spud The Viking

Nice harbour scene that you've managed to make look quite busy as befitting such a new settlement! I like the rough texture of the round tower but the cobblestones seem too neat and uniform for my taste - they do look good though! Nice use of those new leaf pieces for the bush next to the house.

Is this located at the foot of the cliff and is the plan still to construct the settlement around the pathway winding up to the plateau? I have some ideas for the brightly coloured houses we were discussing earlier in the year that would fit in well with the yellow you've used here if so.

13 hours ago, Ayrlego said:

Nice harbour scene that you've managed to make look quite busy as befitting such a new settlement! I like the rough texture of the round tower but the cobblestones seem too neat and uniform for my taste - they do look good though! Nice use of those new leaf pieces for the bush next to the house.

Thanks! I don't usually have such neat cobblestone but I wanted to give it a try seeing as this was a 'new' property.

13 hours ago, Ayrlego said:

Is this located at the foot of the cliff and is the plan still to construct the settlement around the pathway winding up to the plateau? I have some ideas for the brightly coloured houses we were discussing earlier in the year that would fit in well with the yellow you've used here if so.

Aye, that's the plan. Hopefully in later builds I should show the steep incline up the cliff face. I look forward to seeing your residences :pir-sweet:

Nice looking harbour Spud, I like the diagonal tiled part in the centre, the square. with all the minifigs and scattered things.

But the yellow building is the harbour master office? It might benefit from some windows. they need light to write everything down do they? or are they burning candles all day?
I do like the snot stonework on that building! 

16 hours ago, Bart said:

Nice looking harbour Spud, I like the diagonal tiled part in the centre, the square. with all the minifigs and scattered things.

But the yellow building is the harbour master office? It might benefit from some windows. they need light to write everything down do they? or are they burning candles all day?
I do like the snot stonework on that building! 

Thanks!

Well, the office may just be used as storage right now, seeing as we have little trade (I guess I forgot about windows :pir-tongue:)

1 hour ago, Captain Braunsfeld said:

Charming harbour!

Thank you!

Very nice harbor scene!! I like the yellow building the most. I reckon the towerroof was hard to build.. but it looks acceptable.

13 hours ago, Fraunces said:

Very nice harbor scene!! I like the yellow building the most. I reckon the towerroof was hard to build.. but it looks acceptable.

Thanks! Yes, the tower roof was tricky and I'm still not 100% happy with how it worked out - turns out Lego isn't supposed to be build with circles in mind, who knew?

11 hours ago, LM71Blackbird said:

Looking good! Keep up the great work on the settlement Spud!

Thanks, I'll try my best!

Both your Spudkirk buildings are very clean. I really love the ramp going down into the water. Must be all my memories linked to such stone piers. Also a very neat little cannon. Unfortunately there is not that much contrast between its trail and the cobblestone.
The only little negative critique would be the roof of your stone tower. As you say yourself.

Clean, simple, fun. I would have absolutely enjoyed sitting for hours playing with a set like this when I was younger. Great build!

Very nice harbour Spud! I like the lively market, but the best ouch is the round tower… A good start for your new settlement!

On 7/9/2019 at 11:41 AM, Wellesley said:

Both your Spudkirk buildings are very clean. I really love the ramp going down into the water. Must be all my memories linked to such stone piers. Also a very neat little cannon. Unfortunately there is not that much contrast between its trail and the cobblestone.
The only little negative critique would be the roof of your stone tower. As you say yourself.

Thanks, I think the ramp adds a small bit of realism. The cannon was something I've had sitting around for a while, I should really update it!

On 7/9/2019 at 11:53 PM, Ross Fisher said:

I do love the flag-stone courtyard. Very swish.

Thanks! I'm surprised someone from Oleon can recognise quality Very kind of you :pir_tong2:

1 hour ago, TomSkippy said:

Clean, simple, fun. I would have absolutely enjoyed sitting for hours playing with a set like this when I was younger. Great build!

Thank you! Here's hoping for an Imperial Trading Post 2.0

31 minutes ago, Keymonus said:

Very nice harbour Spud! I like the lively market, but the best ouch is the round tower… A good start for your new settlement!

Thanks!