Spud The Viking

[COR - FB] Spudkirk Windmill

Small Factory in Spudkirk

The expedition has been a resounding success, the settlers in Spudkirk have just completed a wind-powered water pump.

48195833252_19df1ec29b_c.jpg

Finally, the much needed resource of fresh water is readily available to the colonists.

With the strong sea breeze coming in, the windmill could be left stationary, without having to shift to chase the wind. This saved greatly on construction time and valuable resources.

The constant wind drives the sails, with operates the pump in the ground. The engineers brought from Corrington spent much time deciding the location of the windmill, but careful planning ensures the pump draws fresh water from underground sources.

The Grand Expedition may continue, and the settlers of Spudkirk happy - I'd say it was a job well done.

More pictures:

Edited by Spud The Viking

Never heard of wind power used to drive a pump but that's a really neat idea!   I like the way you did the sails too, simple but it sure looks the part!

Really nice job on this windmill, Spud!  Those sails are great, and the olive green does an amazing job spicing the tower part up! :thumbup:

2 hours ago, Kai NRG said:

Never heard of wind power used to drive a pump but that's a really neat idea!   I like the way you did the sails too, simple but it sure looks the part!

Thanks! I guess the most famous examples would be the windmills in the Netherlands which were used to reclaim land by pumping the water elsewhere. This one's more of a well/pump however. It's an interesting read on Wikipedia.

48 minutes ago, Garmadon said:

Really nice job on this windmill, Spud!  Those sails are great, and the olive green does an amazing job spicing the tower part up! :thumbup:

Thank you!

Great looking windmill Spud! The SNOT wooden cladding with the olive cheese slopes looks great and the roof came out really well. I had wondered about brick built sails before and I was concerned they'd look too thick; however, here I think think they worked well and look quite good.

Also nice way to solve the water problem!

On 7/4/2019 at 3:56 PM, Kai NRG said:

Ahum..  The Netherlands has a few windmills pumping water. idk we are famous for that somehow. 

--

But good looking windmill Spud, great with the story as to why it is stationary in its direction. 

On 7/5/2019 at 3:12 AM, Ayrlego said:

Great looking windmill Spud! The SNOT wooden cladding with the olive cheese slopes looks great and the roof came out really well. I had wondered about brick built sails before and I was concerned they'd look too thick; however, here I think think they worked well and look quite good.

Also nice way to solve the water problem!

Thank you! Corries are known for their innovation, as you know.

I had considered using white panels but I think the simple bricks look better.

16 hours ago, Bart said:

But good looking windmill Spud, great with the story as to why it is stationary in its direction. 

Cheers!

A nice windmill !

Good to see it in use like in the Nederlands to pump water. not a common use.

Good job !

On 7/6/2019 at 8:03 PM, Faladrin said:

A nice windmill !

Good to see it in use like in the Nederlands to pump water. not a common use.

Good job !

On 7/7/2019 at 4:56 PM, Fraunces said:

Nice build! As others said, the sails are a decent design choice.

11 hours ago, LM71Blackbird said:

A nice addition to the growing settlement!

Thank you all!

Simple, elegant, playful. The olive green adds a ton, I love the brick built sails, the foliage underneath is perfect. This is what I dream of anytime I build a 16x16.

1 hour ago, TomSkippy said:

Simple, elegant, playful. The olive green adds a ton, I love the brick built sails, the foliage underneath is perfect. This is what I dream of anytime I build a 16x16.

Thank you very much!