MKJoshA

LEGO Star Wars 2020 Set Discussion - READ FIRST POST!!!

Recommended Posts

34 minutes ago, ARC2149Nova said:

Obscurity isn't the issue, it's priority. 

Priority isn’t the issue here, tell me would you prioritize something that comes from literally a feature film, the last film in the iconic Skywalker Saga, a forty two year legacy, or the last season of a TV show that’s only on Disney +? The answer is glaring obvious. A lot of The Clone Wars sets were based on PT designs like the Gunship and the Homing Spider droid. The films should take priority and rightfully so. I’m not saying let’s not get CW sets, what I’m saying is that films come first and that we still need a bunch of TPM, AOTC, and ROTS sets.  Honestly I still need some TLJ sets as well. There’s gonna be three CW sets and probably more in future waves. There’s no reason to panic.

Edited by RODDY

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, ARC2149Nova said:

I'm guess "abandoned" is used a bit loosely.:laugh:

Well, quality-wise it is spot on, I mean the word

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, RODDY said:

Priority isn’t the issue here, tell me would you prioritize something that comes from literally a feature film, the last film in the iconic Skywalker Saga, a forty two year legacy, or the last season of a TV show that’s only on Disney +? The answer is glaring obvious. A lot of The Clone Wars sets were based on PT designs like the Gunship and the Homing Spider droid. The films should take priority and rightfully so. I’m not saying let’s not get CW sets, what I’m saying is that films come first and that we still need a bunch of TPM, AOTC, and ROTS sets.  Honestly I still need some TLJ sets as well. There’s gonna be three CW sets and probably more in future waves. There’s no reason to panic.

If you're digging deep like Lego is, then there's no excuse. If they see no reason not to give us the Night Buzzard, then there's no reason not to give us the Havoc Marauder.

I accept their decision. I don't have to like it. No one's panicking, but we were promised a wave that pleased Clone Wars fans (from several leakers). Each reveal sours that promise.

Let's stop debating this. Some are pleased some aren't. Let's agree to disagree.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, ARC2149Nova said:

 

I accept their decision. I don't have to like it. No one's panicking, but we were promised a wave that pleased Clone Wars fans (from several leakers). Each reveal sours that promise.

 

I’m not following this logic. You blame Lego for their set choice based on what leakers “promised”? Lego themselves didn’t come out and say “To coincide with Season 7, we will release a CW dedicated wave.” Blame the leakers “promise” and better yet your own expectations for not getting what you wanted, that’s not Lego’s fault. The leakers don’t owe us anything at all either.  This is Lego Star Wars after all, you need to temper your expectations. We don’t even know how the CW sets even look like yet... A completely new set and a couple of sets that haven’t been released a while is pretty good for Star Wars. But in the end I’ll agree to disagree. 

Edited by RODDY

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The problem is there are a bunch of kids screaming about wanting CW sets.  They are the loud, vocal minority.  Both on these forums from leakers and from youtubers.

Lego knows what sells.  The sets from the cartoons have never sold extremely well.  Let's face it.  Regardless of the discussion about targeting adults we heard from Nuremburg, we aren't getting large scale CW sets targeted at adults.  Lego knows better.  Be happy with the sets we do get eventually.

(there is a whole other discussion that can be had about the profitability of sets targeted at teens and millennials but, if you want to have that discussion maybe we should have it in pms so we don't get to off topic?)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, lego the hutt said:

The problem is there are a bunch of kids screaming about wanting CW sets.  They are the loud, vocal minority.  Both on these forums from leakers and from youtubers.

Lego knows what sells.  The sets from the cartoons have never sold extremely well.  Let's face it.  Regardless of the discussion about targeting adults we heard from Nuremburg, we aren't getting large scale CW sets targeted at adults.  Lego knows better.  Be happy with the sets we do get eventually. 

(there is a whole other discussion that can be had about the profitability of sets targeted at teens and millennials but, if you want to have that discussion maybe we should have it in pms so we don't get to off topic?)

Hm.

I want CW sets as well, and I'm not a kid ^^ It may be that people who want sets from TCW are a minority. I don't know the numbers. But it may be worthwhile to keep in mind that Lego has begun to mix vehicles and scenes from TCW series with the design of minifigs from the prequel trilogy (e. g. 75168, 75199 or 75214). So sets from TCW series might very well no longer be sets "from the cartoon".

To me, that actually is a pretty good thing, and I really hope that the design of new clone troopers is as well in line with that of the latest PT sets.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, ARC2149Nova said:

I accept their decision. I don't have to like it. No one's panicking, but we were promised a wave that pleased Clone Wars fans (from several leakers). Each reveal sours that promise.

Everyone wants something different. If you missed out on the AAT or Soulless One last time around, you're stoked to get a second chance at them. If you have them already, or don't like the gray/blue color combo, you're completely underwhelmed. If you're an OT fan, you might be happy you're getting an AT-AT, but you also might be unhappy that you're not getting a properly-designed snowspeeder to go with it. If you're an ST fan, you're happy to get the remaining Knights, but dreading what a $60-70 build of that ship is going to look like. No one wave is gong to entirely please anyone, let alone everyone.

I for one don't ever recall promising CW fans a wave they would be happy with. I do recall someone... can't remember who... cautioning people to keep their expectations in check. That doesn't just go for 2020... unless this year is a complete aberration, we're looking at fewer sets in the Star Wars line moving forward, more akin to Marvel/DC, which means the same 20-30 "sure-seller" sets get cycled through over and over, and the unique, lesser-known stuff becomes increasingly rare. I sincerely hope I'm wrong about that.

11 minutes ago, lego the hutt said:

Lego knows what sells.  The sets from the cartoons have never sold extremely well.  Let's face it.  Regardless of the discussion about targeting adults we heard from Nuremburg, we aren't getting large scale CW sets targeted at adults.  Lego knows better.  Be happy with the sets we do get eventually.

^^^This. Though I do admit I am losing faith that LEGO understands what sells to AFOLs at this point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Brickadeer said:

Hm.

I want CW sets as well, and I'm not a kid ^^ It may be that people who want sets from TCW are a minority. I don't know the numbers.

This. Age doesn't matter. Please, kids are fans of Lego too. And there are AFOLs who do appreciate the prequels.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, jdubbs said:

you also might be unhappy that you're not getting a properly-designed snowspeeder to go with it

Aww you're joking. Well that's me out. :sarcasm: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, jdubbs said:

Everyone wants something different. If you missed out on the AAT or Soulless One last time around, you're stoked to get a second chance at them. If you have them already, or don't like the gray/blue color combo, you're completely underwhelmed. If you're an OT fan, you might be happy you're getting an AT-AT, but you also might be unhappy that you're not getting a properly-designed snowspeeder to go with it. If you're an ST fan, you're happy to get the remaining Knights, but dreading what a $60-70 build of that ship is going to look like. No one wave is gong to entirely please anyone, let alone everyone.

I for one don't ever recall promising CW fans a wave they would be happy with. I do recall someone... can't remember who... cautioning people to keep their expectations in check. 

You weren't one making big promises, though some made this wave seem more PT-focused than it is, which is mostly why I'm so disappointed. I am happy about the AAT, AT-AT, Soulless One, etc.

Expectations always run too high as a devoted fan, and I understand everyone's position. I also didn't mean to come off as combative. I accept Lego's choices, but I also reserve the right to dislike them. Remember too that I'm not entirely against the choice, I just don't see the appeal over something of equal value. People differ in opinion. In the end, it's just toys.

As long as we at least get some cool figures and sets, that's all we really care about. Apologies for starting such a grand debate.

Just now, BacktoBricks said:

Aww you're joking. Well that's me out. :sarcasm: 

I'm pretty happy with my 2014 Snowspeeder to be honest. I just need the AT-AT.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, ARC2149Nova said:

I'm pretty happy with my 2014 Snowspeeder to be honest. I just need the AT-AT.

Yeah I would be. I'm sure a lot of people will be happy with a new AT-AT. It has been about four years since the last one retired after all. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, lego the hutt said:

The problem is there are a bunch of kids screaming about wanting CW sets.  They are the loud, vocal minority.  Both on these forums from leakers and from youtubers.

Lego knows what sells.  The sets from the cartoons have never sold extremely well.  Let's face it.  Regardless of the discussion about targeting adults we heard from Nuremburg, we aren't getting large scale CW sets targeted at adults.  Lego knows better.  Be happy with the sets we do get eventually.

 

If LEGO knew what sells,star wars would be in top 6 selling themes of 2019.Kids are not screaming anything,its regular people that grew up with prequels that are in 20s and 30s and they are being called kids from toxic ot fans.As prequel fan i have so much interest in sets and pretty big budget but nothing to buy ,1 or 2 prequel/clone wars sets per year,its getting really annoying,LEGO making obscure ships that were 10 seconds in the sequel movie or 9th lukes landspeeder instead of Lucrehulk or landing craft that were in 50 episodes of the show and in the 3 movies as 2 of the most significant separatist ships.

i am personally happy with this year if leaks are true,there is something for everyone and LEGO can make something for everyone fairly each year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, jdubbs said:

That doesn't just go for 2020... unless this year is a complete aberration, we're looking at fewer sets in the Star Wars line moving forward

To be honest, I'm not as disappointed with this news as you may think. In fact, the sheer volume of Star Wars material that was being released almost put me off collecting Lego Star Wars because at the end of the day there is only so much money, and space, to go around and it was becoming rather untenable to try and even collect the minifigures. If Lego is scaling down the Star Wars line, I hope it's a case of quality over quantity and we can return to some more original and prequel material (and for goodness sake an Episode 3 Padme - unlike Anakin, Luke and Leia didn't just spring from nowhere, so she is pretty important!).

Edited by BacktoBricks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, BacktoBricks said:

To be honest, I'm not as disappointed with this news as you may think. In fact, the sheer volume of Star Wars material that was being released almost put me off collecting Lego Star Wars because at the end of the day there is only so much money, and space, to go around and it was becoming rather untenable to try and even collect the minifigures. If Lego is scaling down the Star Wars line, I hope it's a case of quality over quantity and we can return to some more original and prequel material (and for goodness sake an Episode 3 Padme - unlike Anakin, Luke and Leia didn't just spring from nowhere, so she is pretty important!).

I hear sentiments like this a lot, but as I mentioned I don't think it would work out so well for most of us. Look at how unhappy most adult/teen Mavel/DC collectors are, when they see how few sets they're getting from any given film, and how much the lineup defaults to Quinjets and Batmobiles year after year. Some people seem to think that by paring back, LEGO will focus on "the really good stuff" and we'll have to suffer through fewer rehashes. But the more likely outcome is that LEGO will do exactly what they're doing now: pigeon-hole prequel sets as solely "for kids" and limit them to small builds, recycle the same dozen OT hero vehicles ad nauseam, and ignore pretty much any episodic content (Resistance, Mandalorian, etc.) because years ago, Rebels sets didn't sell. That's not a future I want for LEGO Star Wars.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking at the rumoured sets, there’s something I‘ve noticed: apart from Kuruk‘s and Cardo‘s helmets, there‘s nothing so far that demands new moulds. January introduced three (or four, if you count Luke’s poncho) and the spring wave doesn’t seem to feature any so far. So they’ve either reduced the budget or there might be some new moulds in the TCW sets :sweet:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, PreVizsla said:

If LEGO knew what sells,star wars would be in top 6 selling themes of 2019.Kids are not screaming anything,its regular people that grew up with prequels that are in 20s and 30s and they are being called kids from toxic ot fans.As prequel fan i have so much interest in sets and pretty big budget but nothing to buy ,1 or 2 prequel/clone wars sets per year,its getting really annoying,LEGO making obscure ships that were 10 seconds in the sequel movie or 9th lukes landspeeder instead of Lucrehulk or landing craft that were in 50 episodes of the show and in the 3 movies as 2 of the most significant separatist ships.

i am personally happy with this year if leaks are true,there is something for everyone and LEGO can make something for everyone fairly each year.

Exactly my thoughts. It's such an outdated concept that only kids love prequels and CW, and adults only love Original Trilogy! Think about it people, if you were say 7 when Ep 1 came out in 99, you'd be 28 now. How is that a kid? Most of PT/ Cw fans are in their mid/ late twenties now, and are fully capable of affording big and expensive sets based on material they love.

Personally if Lego were to release UCS Jedi temple or Geonosis Arena I would buy those sets instantly as I love prequels/CW and was never impressed by all OT UCS  and regular system scale sets recently. Lego is definitely missing on a huge market by not making more PT/CW sets. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, benderisgreat said:

Exactly my thoughts. It's such an outdated concept that only kids love prequels and CW, and adults only love Original Trilogy! Think about it people, if you were say 7 when Ep 1 came out in 99, you'd be 28 now. How is that a kid? Most of PT/ Cw fans are in their mid/ late twenties now, and are fully capable of affording big and expensive sets based on material they love.

Personally if Lego were to release UCS Jedi temple or Geonosis Arena I would buy those sets instantly as I love prequels/CW and was never impressed by all OT UCS  and regular system scale sets recently. Lego is definitely missing on a huge market by not making more PT/CW sets. 

Yep. :thumbup:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I enjoy both the prequels and clone wars and I'm old.  That doesn't change the fact that sets based on the cartoons have generally not sold well and that there is a vocal minority of, mostly, younger people on the internet who are loudly adamant about CW sets.  That's fine that they are vocal about liking something but some people need to temper their expectations.  Just because you want something badly doesn't mean it is in TLGs best interest.

 

(apparently people get offended when I bunch teens and millennials together...the reason why age matters is because of the average amount of disposable income that can be spent on things like toys as far as the discussion is concerned. )

Edited by lego the hutt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just wondering, do we know if Lego will release a May the Fourth promotional set like 40333 and 40362? A micro-scale Tatooine or Yavin 4 from A New Hope would fit well with the two sets released in 2019 (even without the 20th Anniversary logo).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, RODDY said:

Now I’m considering buying Kylo’s shuttle because I was waiting out if they would release all 7. If we got the Quadjumper, then I see no problem with the Night Buzzard. Fingers are crossed for Duel on Exegol, would love to get me a zombie Palpatine minifig with his Episode 3 senate garb and 6 look combined 

I'm considering buying Kylo's shuttle as well but I'll wait untill I've seen the set pics for the Night Buzzard just in case they reuse Aplek and Ushar (though that's highly unlikely)

5 hours ago, RODDY said:

The Havoc Maurader looks like any old  imperial shuttle just with more pointy wings. It’s nothing really standout at least to me. 

I completely agree. The only reason I'd buy that set if it existed are the possible Bad Batch figures

2 hours ago, benderisgreat said:

Personally if Lego were to release UCS Jedi temple or Geonosis Arena (snip)

That would be awesome!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm seriously worried we might just get busts and a D-0 for the april wave lol 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, lego the hutt said:

The problem is there are a bunch of kids screaming about wanting CW sets.  They are the loud, vocal minority.  Both on these forums from leakers and from youtubers.

Lego knows what sells.  The sets from the cartoons have never sold extremely well.  Let's face it.  Regardless of the discussion about targeting adults we heard from Nuremburg, we aren't getting large scale CW sets targeted at adults.  Lego knows better.  Be happy with the sets we do get eventually.

(there is a whole other discussion that can be had about the profitability of sets targeted at teens and millennials but, if you want to have that discussion maybe we should have it in pms so we don't get to off topic?)

I disagree with all of this. 
 

The Clone Wars sets predominance lasted from 2008-2014. Surely Lego continued to release the sets because they were selling well. 
 

Lego are doing something wrong if Star Wars isn’t one of the top 7 themes! Regardless off the fact the new movies were underwhelming this is a serious concern and further shows Lego are struggling to get the line right. 
 

3 hours ago, jdubbs said:

But the more likely outcome is that LEGO will do exactly what they're doing now: pigeon-hole prequel sets as solely "for kids" and limit them to small builds, recycle the same dozen OT hero vehicles ad nauseam, and ignore pretty much any episodic content (Resistance, Mandalorian, etc.) because years ago, Rebels sets didn't sell. That's not a future I want for LEGO Star Wars.

This is a fantastic summary. What makes it worse is that the prices are sky rocketing when the sets are declining is quality, uniqueness and desirability. Lego set the bar so high from 2008-2014 that the last few waves seem even worse. Lego included sets/figures that we didn’t even deserve/ need (Queen Amidala/Coleman Trebor, Fury Class etc etc) and now that seems a distance away. 

Couldn’t agree more @benderisgreat

2 hours ago, BacktoBricks said:
3 hours ago, benderisgreat said:

It's such an outdated concept that only kids love prequels and CW, and adults only love Original Trilogy! Think about it people, if you were say 7 when Ep 1 came out in 99, you'd be 28 now. How is that a kid? Most of PT/ Cw fans are in their mid/ late twenties now, and are fully capable of affording big and expensive sets based on material they love.

. Lego is definitely missing on a huge market by not making more PT/CW sets. 

4 minutes ago, ArrowBricks said:

However after all that I don’t mind this wave as it encourages collectibility. Only gripe is the Grievous ship seems way overpriced.

I don’t mind a smaller wave as it enhances collectibility. With Lego releasing all these sets within a year (normal sets, busts, Microfighters, action battle sets, UCS) the wave becomes diluted and the quality suffers. Way too much being produced that isn’t good enough imo. After all a major component of Lego is collecting the sets from a specific year.

Edited by ArrowBricks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Idk if someone already mentioned it somewhere in the last few pages of debate, but is anyone else concerned about the Buzzard's price? I really don't see how they could make it look good with such a low price

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Guyon2002 said:

Idk if someone already mentioned it somewhere in the last few pages of debate, but is anyone else concerned about the Buzzard's price? I really don't see how they could make it look good with such a low price

I’m not too worried. The 2011 Sith infiltrator and the 2016 Resistance Troop Transporter were both $70. Those were good sets that are in-universe somewhat comparable in size. I’m sure it’ll look good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Peppybricks said:

I’m not too worried. The 2011 Sith infiltrator and the 2016 Resistance Troop Transporter were both $70. Those were good sets that are in-universe somewhat comparable in size. I’m sure it’ll look good.

Those were also 5-10 years ago. $70 doesn't go quite as far these days... And the Buzzard is a much bigger/beefier ship than either of those (or should be). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.