MKJoshA

LEGO Star Wars 2020 Set Discussion - READ FIRST POST!!!

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Guyon2002 said:

Weird how just one simpe poll can create so much hostility here.....

Smart move by TLG, instead on hating on them this time, fans attack each others. Maybe all sets should be developed this way ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AndrewShun said:

Not everyone is so exceptional as you are

I buy UCS for the model, not the figures. Any figures are a bonus. That would include a Republic Gunship. If that’s offensive to you then there’s nothing I can do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Guys, please stay on target.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Guyon2002 said:

Weird how just one simple poll can create so much hostility here.....

I corrected your spelling mistake, you are welcome kind sir.  I think you are referring to the hate that Ole Palps mentioned.  This is a good thing.

 

5 hours ago, AndrewShun said:

Not everyone is so exceptional as you are

Well said, and timely.  Thank you.  I've seen so much exceptionalism on this site it is becoming ridiculous.

4 hours ago, Balrogofmorgoth said:

I buy UCS for the model, not the figures. Any figures are a bonus. That would include a Republic Gunship. If that’s offensive to you then there’s nothing I can do.

Yes there is, you could be LESS exceptional.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Mizyaz said:

I think it's quite obvious that a lot gunship votes will come from the fans of that youtuber and his audience aren't afols. Nebulon is a ship that is famous between afols. 

Since afols are buying the majority of Ucs sets nebulon would probably sell better. I even think most of the fans won't even like the gunship as a ucs because it won't include 10 figures and be minifigure scale. 

 

Right, I think there is a decent portion of people either voting for something that's not going to be anything what they're expecting and either aren't going to buy it because of that, or weren't going to buy it regardless and are just voting because they were told to.  It could be minifig scale, but I would guess at best they give us maybe two pilots and a gunner, all Phase I clones from AOTC, and maybe Obi-Wan/Anakin/Padme if we're lucky.  A lot of the extremely loud gunship voters seem to be asking for a Clone Wars UCS gunship with every clone commander, the 501st legion, and Ahsoka.  I think it's safe to say there's approximately zero chance they would base a UCS set off of TCW, considering the percentage of Lego Star Wars fans who have even watched the show is probably somewhere in the neighborhood of 30-50%. 

Edited by Kit Figsto

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Kit Figsto said:

Right, I think there is a decent portion of people either voting for something that's not going to be anything what they're expecting and either aren't going to buy it because of that, or weren't going to buy it regardless and are just voting because they were told to.  It could be minifig scale, but I would guess at best they give us maybe two pilots and a gunner, all Phase I clones from AOTC, and maybe Obi-Wan/Anakin/Padme if we're lucky.  A lot of the extremely loud gunship voters seem to be asking for a Clone Wars UCS gunship with every clone commander, the 501st legion, and Ahsoka.  I think it's safe to say there's approximately zero chance they would base a UCS set off of TCW, considering the percentage of Lego Star Wars fans who have even watched the show is probably somewhere in the neighborhood of 30-50%. 

You’re right in that there will be a lot of people like that (the MandR crowd and the like) but there are definitely a lot of people who really just want the large model and don’t care what minifigs (if any) are included, with realistic expectations. I think the same goes for any UCS set that’s rumored. There are always the teenyboppers making a list of the 20 minifigs that HAVE to be included or their lives will be over, and they probably wouldn’t have bought it anyway. But as a serious afol, I can say with certainty that not all of the Gunship crowd is like this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Markalus said:

It occurred to me that the question Lego ask of “which minifigure would like to see included” in the set you vote for could have a major influence on people’s decision. For example, I went with the Nebulon B Frigate but thinking in terms of minifigs left me scratching my head. IMO there are so many more potentially cool minifigs for the Republic Gunship, which is why I think it’s more suited to a regular playset but some might vote for it as a UCS set based on potential minifigs. I also find it strange they say minifigure and not minifigures...is this just a translation thing? Or do they just want to identify a single fan favourite?

I think it's because they want to listen to the fans, but can't have the minifigures be Jedi bob, rebel friend, 10000000 clone commanders, and every version of ahsoka but with the normal design. This way they can have their single fan favorite while keeping the other figures (if there are any) what they want to put in.

6 hours ago, Balrogofmorgoth said:

I’m just trying to prove a point that not everyone who wants a Gunship is a whining teenager. I don’t know how I possibly could have offended anyone

You didn't offend anyone, some people just enjoy trolling and others might be getting a bit too mad over this. You make a good point in that while there may be a slightly higher group of fans who will vote but not pay for the gunship, that doesn't at all mean that it's the majority of gunship votes, or that nebuleon and bomber votes are exempt from that. 

1 hour ago, Hokierespect said:

I corrected your spelling mistake, you are welcome kind sir.  I think you are referring to the hate that Ole Palps mentioned.  This is a good thing.

 

Well said, and timely.  Thank you.  I've seen so much exceptionalism on this site it is becoming ridiculous.

Yes there is, you could be LESS exceptional.

C'mon man, it's not unreasonable to want a UCS set for the build, could you leave these guys alone? I'm not saying you can't debate them, just maybe try to keep some more civlity.

Edited by Mandalorianknight

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just built the Bantha microfighter, and I absolutely love all the dark brown pieces, I’m just realizing how striking they are. Really nice little build. My only issue with it is that the red pieces in the back show through a little

Edited by Balrogofmorgoth

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Balrogofmorgoth said:

I buy UCS for the model, not the figures. Any figures are a bonus. That would include a Republic Gunship. If that’s offensive to you then there’s nothing I can do.

Not at all, don't mind me

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, AndrewShun said:

Not at all, don't mind me

If I misunderstood, then I apologize

I’m about to start building the Star Destroyer, and it is a monster, the box is very close to the size of the box of the Falcon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Balrogofmorgoth said:

You’re right in that there will be a lot of people like that (the MandR crowd and the like) but there are definitely a lot of people who really just want the large model and don’t care what minifigs (if any) are included, with realistic expectations. I think the same goes for any UCS set that’s rumored. There are always the teenyboppers making a list of the 20 minifigs that HAVE to be included or their lives will be over, and they probably wouldn’t have bought it anyway. But as a serious afol, I can say with certainty that not all of the Gunship crowd is like this.

Oh I don't doubt that at all.  I myself voted for the Nebulon just because I think it'll be more likely that we get a system-scale Gunship that way, which I would prefer, plus the only real way to make the Nebulon is if it's UCS scale.  And believe me, I would heavily consider the UCS Gunship regardless of the scale if it wins and I know that most of the people behind it aren't the crowd we're talking about here, it's just a vocal minority.  I fully expect if the Gunship wins and it ends up being a larger-than-minifigure-scale display model (a very strong possibility) with like two clone pilots as the only figures, I expect a decent proportion of the, shall we say, "loud" LEGO fans will take to the internet to rant about how "This isn't what we voted for, why is LEGO giving us this junk" because apparently very few non-AFOLs are considering the possibility that it isn't going to be exactly what they hoped for.  

I am definitely anxious for the 30th to see who wins this, I expect it'll be pretty tight between the Gunship and Nebulon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Kit Figsto said:

Oh I don't doubt that at all.  I myself voted for the Nebulon just because I think it'll be more likely that we get a system-scale Gunship that way, which I would prefer, plus the only real way to make the Nebulon is if it's UCS scale.  And believe me, I would heavily consider the UCS Gunship regardless of the scale if it wins and I know that most of the people behind it aren't the crowd we're talking about here, it's just a vocal minority.  I fully expect if the Gunship wins and it ends up being a larger-than-minifigure-scale display model (a very strong possibility) with like two clone pilots as the only figures, I expect a decent proportion of the, shall we say, "loud" LEGO fans will take to the internet to rant about how "This isn't what we voted for, why is LEGO giving us this junk" because apparently very few non-AFOLs are considering the possibility that it isn't going to be exactly what they hoped for.  

I am definitely anxious for the 30th to see who wins this, I expect it'll be pretty tight between the Gunship and Nebulon.

I’m anxious as well, I’ll get whichever one wins, they’re all great options! I also think all three are probably going to happen in the coming years. They would have been very meticulous in the three sets they chose, they probably had more private polls just to narrow it down to those three, meaning each of them is as likely as the others in Lego’s mind

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My reflection went immediately towards displayability rather than look of the ship. I always loved the UCS Super Star Destroyer which is, in my opinion, one of the most stunning Lego models on display. A Nebulon-B (long and narrow) would similarly look very displayable on shelves. On the contrary, a UCS Republic Gunship would result far too big for shelves and generally hardly displayable, requiring a large surface (e.g. dedicated desk/table). The latest system scale version was already 48 cm long and 43 cm wide, which is perfecty fine size.

Edited by storskogen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Balrogofmorgoth said:

Just built the Bantha microfighter, and I absolutely love all the dark brown pieces, I’m just realizing how striking they are. Really nice little build. My only issue with it is that the red pieces in the back show through a little

Would you reccomend buying it now, at $20 if I only want the bantha? I'm on the fence.

15 minutes ago, Kit Figsto said:

Oh I don't doubt that at all.  I myself voted for the Nebulon just because I think it'll be more likely that we get a system-scale Gunship that way, which I would prefer, plus the only real way to make the Nebulon is if it's UCS scale.  And believe me, I would heavily consider the UCS Gunship regardless of the scale if it wins and I know that most of the people behind it aren't the crowd we're talking about here, it's just a vocal minority.  I fully expect if the Gunship wins and it ends up being a larger-than-minifigure-scale display model (a very strong possibility) with like two clone pilots as the only figures, I expect a decent proportion of the, shall we say, "loud" LEGO fans will take to the internet to rant about how "This isn't what we voted for, why is LEGO giving us this junk" because apparently very few non-AFOLs are considering the possibility that it isn't going to be exactly what they hoped for.  

I am definitely anxious for the 30th to see who wins this, I expect it'll be pretty tight between the Gunship and Nebulon.

^ This. This is perfectly worded, and EXACTLY how I feel. And the suspense is killing me too, especially since I'll only buy the nebuleon. (Or the gunship if by some miracle it's minifigure scale with lots of good figures, but that seems unlikely.). I especially agree that if the gunship wins, and, say, is a $400 set larger than minifigure scale with, say, a clone pilot and a clone captain, then the vocal minority will be upset it's not what they wanted. (The bomber will almost certainly not win, there doesn't seem to be much support)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Mandalorianknight said:

Would you reccomend buying it now, at $20 if I only want the bantha? I'm on the fence.

I paid full price and don’t regret it one bit. The figures are great (the Tusken is new, for now only in this and Ben’s Hut). The Bantha build is great, but I feel like it’s worth $20 because you get two figures, the Bantha, and some spare parts, which are never a waste in my book

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Balrogofmorgoth said:

You’re right in that there will be a lot of people like that (the MandR crowd and the like) but there are definitely a lot of people who really just want the large model and don’t care what minifigs (if any) are included, with realistic expectations. I think the same goes for any UCS set that’s rumored. There are always the teenyboppers making a list of the 20 minifigs that HAVE to be included or their lives will be over, and they probably wouldn’t have bought it anyway. But as a serious afol, I can say with certainty that not all of the Gunship crowd is like this.

I agree^^^

I don't get the desire for tons of minifigures for these sets? The poll is for a  UCS set. Outside of the falcon, which is a rarity (size,price,interior, and general awesomeness) UCS means 1-3 figures. Or at least with the most recent sets, Slave I, Tie fighter, Snowspeeder, Y-Wing, and Star Destroyer. Sets with tons of minifigures have been the MBS, or sets that really were playsets before they started using the MBS term. Whichever of these comes to fruition, if it is indeed a UCS we are probably looking at 1-3 figures tops, even with the Nebulon. Now if they go the non- UCS route then I could see more, but I buy my UCS sets for display, and I don't expect tons of figures. Seems like lego will be in a lose lose no matter what happens. :def_shrug:

My biggest concern is I have a Nebulon MOC already, so if they go that route, it better be good and keep it in the $250-$400 range, I need a break after the falcon and SD!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hadn’t actually factored in display space when considering which I’d prefer :distressed:

The frigate is a narrow ship, so display space should be no issue, whereas at a UCS scale the gunship’s footprint would likely be quite large because of its wings.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Mandalorianknight said:

I think it's because they want to listen to the fans, but can't have the minifigures be Jedi bob, rebel friend, 10000000 clone commanders, and every version of ahsoka but with the normal design. This way they can have their single fan favorite while keeping the other figures (if there are any) what they want to put in.

I have no idea who Jedi Bob is but it makes sense particularly since they’ve differentiated between accurate model focussed UCS and playset-style MBS sets.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Markalus said:

I have no idea who Jedi Bob

Jedi Bob is the Jedi Knight minifigure included in the original Republic Gunship  set 7163. Since nobody could relate him to a specific Jedi from the movie he is now affectionately known as Jedi Bob by fans. :classic:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BacktoBricks said:

Jedi Bob is the Jedi Knight minifigure included in the original Republic Gunship  set 7163. Since nobody could relate him to a specific Jedi from the movie he is now affectionately known as Jedi Bob by fans. :classic:

Didn't know this, just checked it out, suprised that lego have not given him a name, even much later. My spontanoues feeling is that it's supposed to be old Obi Wan, but they failed and put him in the wrong set for another movie.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Star Wars isn't in the top 7 top selling themes of 2019 (source: German Toy Fair, Zusammengebaut). Not really suprising, but interesting nonetheless. New trilogy stuff from every company doesn't sell well, but SW has always been one of the best selling themes for Lego.

Top 7 is in no particular order Architecture, Ideas, Harry Potter, City, Disney, Ninjago and Technic. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Hoth Rebel said:

Star Wars isn't in the top 7 top selling themes of 2019 (source: German Toy Fair, Zusammengebaut). Not really suprising, but interesting nonetheless. New trilogy stuff from every company doesn't sell well, but SW has always been one of the best selling themes for Lego.

Top 7 is in no particular order Architecture, Ideas, Harry Potter, City, Disney, Ninjago and Technic. 

I'm actually quite surprised by this...

If I go to my local Target - there are plenty of each of the other types.
But the Star Wars area is bare or only has a few sets.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like the Advent Calendar for 2020 is also confirmed, to no one's surprise ofcourse :wink:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, lomis said:

I'm actually quite surprised by this...

If I go to my local Target - there are plenty of each of the other types.
But the Star Wars area is bare or only has a few sets.

Not suprised at all, if they release the same objects over and over again, sooner or later, even safe sellers will turn into no sellers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Hoth Rebel said:

Star Wars isn't in the top 7 top selling themes of 2019 (source: German Toy Fair, Zusammengebaut). Not really suprising, but interesting nonetheless. New trilogy stuff from every company doesn't sell well, but SW has always been one of the best selling themes for Lego.

Top 7 is in no particular order Architecture, Ideas, Harry Potter, City, Disney, Ninjago and Technic. 

I'm not sure I would blame it on the sequel trilogy sets. 2019 was a pretty cr@p year for LEGO Star Wars all-around. The 20th anniversary sets were (all but one) a resounding dud, the action battle sets didn't seem to appeal to kids as well as expected, and the year was overrun with rehashes of existing builds that had only barely left shelves a few years prior. LEGO missed a huge opportunity to cash in on the success of the Mandalorian but clearly didn't have enough faith in the show to invest in more than one small set (which clearly required minimal effort on LEGO's part) and a battle pack. 

Don't expect things to improve in 2020... it's looking like they're going to get worse before they get better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.