MKJoshA

LEGO Star Wars 2020 Set Discussion - READ FIRST POST!!!

Probably way too early to start discussing this, but is there any word about what the May the 4th D2C will be? Will it be another display only D2C like the Star Destroyer? A location-based set like Assault on Hoth or a big-but-not-so-detailed-yet-with-lots-of-play-features set like the Tantive IV and Sandcrawler?

I don't remember when we first got rumors of the Tantive last year.

18 minutes ago, Terrasher said:

Probably way too early to start discussing this, but is there any word about what the May the 4th D2C will be? Will it be another display only D2C like the Star Destroyer? A location-based set like Assault on Hoth or a big-but-not-so-detailed-yet-with-lots-of-play-features set like the Tantive IV and Sandcrawler?

There are no rumours. 

8 hours ago, Mandalorianknight said:

Agreed, I get what they were going for but it didn't work.

I, for one, loved and still love the look of the Clone Wars figures, and therefore feel iffy about buying any further Clone Wars sets in the "regular eye" style because the figures wouldn't match my collection. For instance, I loved Rebels and the character of Ahsoka, but I couldn't bring myself to care about tracking down the adult Ahsoka figure because she didn't fit the style.

The adult community certainly hates the Clone Wars "big eye" style, and I completely get why, but I just wanted to voice that there is at least one person out there who legitimately loved it!

7 hours ago, Clone OPatra said:

I, for one, loved and still love the look of the Clone Wars figures, and therefore feel iffy about buying any further Clone Wars sets in the "regular eye" style because the figures wouldn't match my collection. For instance, I loved Rebels and the character of Ahsoka, but I couldn't bring myself to care about tracking down the adult Ahsoka figure because she didn't fit the style.

The adult community certainly hates the Clone Wars "big eye" style, and I completely get why, but I just wanted to voice that there is at least one person out there who legitimately loved it!

That's got to be tough for collecting more figures, like you say. If you want to give TCW figures "normal" style heads you've got alot to choose from, but with TCW figures you only have so many options.

I do think it's near-certain that if we get TCW season 7 sets the figures will look "normal", but you never know.

4 hours ago, Mandalorianknight said:

That's got to be tough for collecting more figures, like you say. If you want to give TCW figures "normal" style heads you've got alot to choose from, but with TCW figures you only have so many options.

I do think it's near-certain that if we get TCW season 7 sets the figures will look "normal", but you never know.

Tough for collecting, but good for my wallet :rofl:. The Clone Wars sets were something that hooked me, but since then I haven't bought any LEGO Star Wars in a long time, a long time. The Mandalorian battle pack might change that, though.

I agree any more sets we get will certainly be with the normal style eyes. Maybe LEGO will take the opportunity to finally make at least one new face for the clones!

Just now, Clone OPatra said:

Maybe LEGO will take the opportunity to finally make at least one new face for the clones!

I hope so, they've used the angry clone face to death and it isn't even accurate :tongue:

IMO they should change the print to a new generic face every year just for variety, even if it meant that later runs of certain sets had a different face. Just slip a new print into the system and roll with it.

IMO they could use the same face for the clone troopers forever - it just needs to actually look like a Fett clone's face and have a darker skin color and a more generic expression.
For the Imperial and First Order troopers they should simply use any generic male faces that are currently in production anyway.

1 minute ago, Graupensuppe said:

For the Imperial and First Order troopers they should simply use any generic male faces that are currently in production anyway.

Or female for that matter, just as long as it's not angry clone

Personally I’d like to see the return of this style of head. Maybe not with that exact face print, but I really like the black base so the flesh colour can’t be seen poking out of the bottom of the helmet.

9 minutes ago, Brikkyy13 said:

Personally I’d like to see the return of this style of head. Maybe not with that exact face print, but I really like the black base so the flesh colour can’t be seen poking out of the bottom of the helmet.

I'm assuming this print is more expensive than angry clone, but then conversly it should be cheaper for them to just use a blank black head. Agreed that this is the best option, but I think the plain black head makes more sense than angry clone at least.

2 hours ago, Graupensuppe said:

IMO they could use the same face for the clone troopers forever - it just needs to actually look like a Fett clone's face and have a darker skin color and a more generic expression.

I agree, a single face is fine, but not this angry clone, like you say it's the wrong sking tone and looks too angry.

With the imps and first order, also agreed, literally any face is fine. Male or female, as long as they're human, they're accurate.

On 1/14/2020 at 4:09 PM, Mandalorianknight said:

There are some things from the movies we need, but I think that not only do the mandalorian and TCW have more important missing things (the razorcrest, the literal main ship from mando for instance), but that many of them would make better-selling sets than stuff we're missing from the films. Look, I want more RO and solo sets too, but the main things we're missing there are figures. Anything with baby yoda, especially if it;s the razorcrest, will sell great, and as for TCW, we know that anything that so much as mentions mandalorians will sell like hotcakes, much less sets from a show that's going to have about a third of the episodes about the seige of mandalore. 

About the movies vs. TV thing, the other advantage of specifically making TCW sets is that you can double-dip with prequel stuff.  Things like the Jedi Temple, Coruscant scenes, Republic Cruisers, Republic Gunships, etc. are all prominent in TCW and are featured in the prequels in some capacity as well.  While I'm not as well-versed in what we have or haven't had as sets from the sequels, it seems like the prequel era is the most incomplete set-wise (I challenge someone to come up with a major scene/location/vehicle from the OT we haven't gotten in some form as a set besides Yavin, the Lars' homestead, and an Obi Wan/Vader duel, although I do agree that there are some sets that could use a reprise, such as the Battle of Endor and Home One).

19 hours ago, Terrasher said:

Yeah, complete the fleet. A-wing.

No rumors, all we know is that the May the 4th thing will be another $200 item and the October thing will be $350, as people discussed per instagram a while back. Makes sense as things seem to be alternating (big Falcon fall 2017, $350 Bespin fall 2018, big SD fall 2019...) and the May the 4th item has been $200 every year for a while now (TIE Fighter, Snowspeeder, Y-wing, Tantive, with Battle of Hoth being the slight exception). If we were placing bets, an A-wing is the #1 logical pick given how much demand there is for it. You could also view the retirement of the Y-wing as making shelf space so there aren't multiple Rebel Alliance fightercraft UCS at once. Who knows though, could be something Clone Wars or even Sequel Trilogy. It's been over 3 years now since the Red Five X-wing retired, X-wings are always strong sellers...maybe they do a UCS Poe X-wing? 

I'd say the only sure bet is that the May the 4th will be some kind of starfighter and the October thing will be a Master Builder series item, and only time will tell what those will pan out to be. 

18 hours ago, Darth Caedus said:

I'd say the only sure bet is that the May the 4th will be some kind of starfighter and the October thing will be a Master Builder series item, and only time will tell what those will pan out to be. 

I think even that is not a sure bet. Logical, but not a sure bet. 

20 hours ago, Darth Caedus said:

The Cloud City “Master Builders” set retired way earlier than anyone expected, so I really doubt LEGO would have planned for another set like it so soon. The fall D2C is more likely another capital ship, rather than a playset. 

55 minutes ago, jdubbs said:

The Cloud City “Master Builders” set retired way earlier than anyone expected, so I really doubt LEGO would have planned for another set like it so soon. The fall D2C is more likely another capital ship, rather than a playset. 

I know you have information sometimes, but I don't want to assume you're hinting at one because that's how false rumors start. Personally I think a capital ship is highly unlikely as the only one we've had recently is the ISD, and without any other information I think it's too early to tell. 

That said, if you are hinting that a capital ship is coming.........HOME ONE! HOME ONE! HOME ONE!

On 1/15/2020 at 7:04 PM, Kit Figsto said:

About the movies vs. TV thing, the other advantage of specifically making TCW sets is that you can double-dip with prequel stuff.  Things like the Jedi Temple, Coruscant scenes, Republic Cruisers, Republic Gunships, etc. are all prominent in TCW and are featured in the prequels in some capacity as well.  While I'm not as well-versed in what we have or haven't had as sets from the sequels, it seems like the prequel era is the most incomplete set-wise (I challenge someone to come up with a major scene/location/vehicle from the OT we haven't gotten in some form as a set besides Yavin, the Lars' homestead, and an Obi Wan/Vader duel, although I do agree that there are some sets that could use a reprise, such as the Battle of Endor and Home One).

LEGO has a far better chance in mass producing clone wars sets this year. Will we get a whole bunch...eh probably not. Knowing LEGO it might just be a droid battle pack and a clone battle pack. Is it the best choice on legos part? Not really cause there or so many TCW places, fights and vehicles we have not gotten and/or need a remake. Such as a gunship, or cruiser. And I know for a fact if they make a 501st battle pack, or a phase 2 generic clone trooper battle pack, they will sell like hot cakes and LEGO will be bringing in all of the big bucks this year. I don’t mean to make a wish list or nothing, I’m just stating what I know will sell out and could bring LEGO a spike in revenue. 

1 hour ago, JosiahJVL said:

LEGO has a far better chance in mass producing clone wars sets this year. Will we get a whole bunch...eh probably not. Knowing LEGO it might just be a droid battle pack and a clone battle pack. Is it the best choice on legos part? Not really cause there or so many TCW places, fights and vehicles we have not gotten and/or need a remake. Such as a gunship, or cruiser. And I know for a fact if they make a 501st battle pack, or a phase 2 generic clone trooper battle pack, they will sell like hot cakes and LEGO will be bringing in all of the big bucks this year. I don’t mean to make a wish list or nothing, I’m just stating what I know will sell out and could bring LEGO a spike in revenue. 

Not just the 501st, pretty much any legion will sell well (212th, Wolfpack etc.)

pure speculation but I wonder if the new UCS set could be the first time we see a Lego Razorcrest ? and the Little green fella?

Edited by roadstermatt

33 minutes ago, roadstermatt said:

pure speculation but I wonder if the new UCS set could be the first time we see a Lego Razorcrest ? and the Little green fella?

If there's one thing we can be 100% sure on it's that the UCS is not the Razorcrest. Sets like these are finished up a long time before release so lego wouldn't know if The Mandalorian would do well, just like they wouldn't even know of Baby Yoda's existence. But even after The Mandalorian did extremely well and everyone loves Baby Yoda I don't really see us getting a UCS Razorcrest, most likely just a standard retail version. And to add to that I'm pretty sure they've never done a UCS that wasn't directly based on the OT

6 minutes ago, Guyon2002 said:

And to add to that I'm pretty sure they've never done a UCS that wasn't directly based on the OT

10215-1.jpg?201010220708

But your overall point still stands, UCS sets are never based on brand-new material. There could be one at one point, in a couple of years maybe :shrug_oh_well:

35 minutes ago, Guyon2002 said:

If there's one thing we can be 100% sure on it's that the UCS is not the Razorcrest. Sets like these are finished up a long time before release so lego wouldn't know if The Mandalorian would do well, just like they wouldn't even know of Baby Yoda's existence. But even after The Mandalorian did extremely well and everyone loves Baby Yoda I don't really see us getting a UCS Razorcrest, most likely just a standard retail version. And to add to that I'm pretty sure they've never done a UCS that wasn't directly based on the OT

They did. 10026, 10186 & 10215. 

Personally I assume we will see a smaller UCS set in May. Like a A-Wing for example. There is hardly a chance we will see other stuff than iconically well known OT sets in the UCS & MBS line in the future because these are selling. 10215 was the last experiment and it failed by 50% off sale @TRU in Europe.

Edited by OrangeChiliPeP

10 hours ago, jdubbs said:

True, but aren’t UCS sets designed years in advance?  The only instance of delaying one that I can recall was when they mucked with Assault on Hoth and released it six months later.  That was not due to speculated poor sales, though, AFAIK.  

Anyway, I’m super excited to see what May the Fourth 2020 May bring!