MKJoshA

LEGO Star Wars 2020 Set Discussion - READ FIRST POST!!!

Recommended Posts

One thing the ROS sets have severely lacked so far is a variety of foot soldiers. We need more stormtroopers (the Sith Trooper BP helps with this) and we definitely need more Resistance soldiers/pilots. At least we finally got Connix but now I’m determined in getting Dominic Monaghan’s character

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Balrogofmorgoth said:

One thing the ROS sets have severely lacked so far is a variety of foot soldiers. We need more stormtroopers (the Sith Trooper BP helps with this) and we definitely need more Resistance soldiers/pilots. At least we finally got Connix but now I’m determined in getting Dominic Monaghan’s character

I don't think the mini-figs are lacking, my problem is that the sets are almost 1/1 the wave we got in 2015.

Kylo Ren's shuttle, poe's x-wing, speeder set with rey and bb-8 set on a sandy planet, a-wing, y-wing. 

It's boring. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, RetroInferno said:

I don't think the mini-figs are lacking, my problem is that the sets are almost 1/1 the wave we got in 2015.

Kylo Ren's shuttle, poe's x-wing, speeder set with rey and bb-8 set on a sandy planet, a-wing, y-wing. 

It's boring. 

First off, we didn't get an a-wing or y-wing for TFA, that's blatently false. In addition, the speeder set is completely different, being a skiff with a first order speeder and a stand. It looks nothing like the rey's speeder set from 2015.

I will concede that two of the sets are similar, however. Poe's x-wing is a different colour scheme and updated, especially around the engines, but it at the core another x-wing. And the shuttle, while again very similar, is a remake that fixes all the numerous problems with the TFA model, such as the colour and wings.

9 hours ago, Balrogofmorgoth said:

One thing the ROS sets have severely lacked so far is a variety of foot soldiers. We need more stormtroopers (the Sith Trooper BP helps with this) and we definitely need more Resistance soldiers/pilots. At least we finally got Connix but now I’m determined in getting Dominic Monaghan’s character

I don't think that's too much of a problem, as anyone collecting over the past few years should already have a ton of resistance and first order troops, with the exception of the new sith troopers we're getting a battlepack for. It would be nice to get dominic monaghan's character though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Mandalorianknight said:

First off, we didn't get an a-wing or y-wing for TFA, that's blatently false. In addition, the speeder set is completely different, being a skiff with a first order speeder and a stand. It looks nothing like the rey's speeder set from 2015.

I will concede that two of the sets are similar, however. Poe's x-wing is a different colour scheme and updated, especially around the engines, but it at the core another x-wing. And the shuttle, while again very similar, is a remake that fixes all the numerous problems with the TFA model, such as the colour and wings.

I think you're splitting hairs here. The A-Wing and Y-Wing may not have come in 2015 as part of a TFA wave, but they did come in 2017. All-in-all, the October wave this year is almost entirely rehashes of previous builds, with some sprucing up to differentiate them. It might not be so annoying if this hadn't been a recurring issue throughout the year... 2019 feels like it came with precious few original designs when viewed as a whole. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Balrogofmorgoth said:

One thing the ROS sets have severely lacked so far is a variety of foot soldiers. We need more stormtroopers (the Sith Trooper BP helps with this) and we definitely need more Resistance soldiers/pilots. At least we finally got Connix but now I’m determined in getting Dominic Monaghan’s character

Honestly I'm glad to take a break from the generic Resistance soldiers. TFA and TLJ have already given me more than enough figures already and so far in the trilogy they seem to be the one faction where the foot soldiers have seen zero action, even on Crait.

I'd be happy to see them just continue focusing on the named Resistance characters from this point onwards. There's still plenty of notable ones missing to pick from across the Sequel Trilogy such as TLJ/TROS Leia, Nien Nunb, Dominic Monaghan's character, PZ-4CO, Klaud, Admiral Stratura, Doctor Kalonia, Jess Pava and C'ai Threnalli/Ello Asty.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, jdubbs said:

I think you're splitting hairs here. The A-Wing and Y-Wing may not have come in 2015 as part of a TFA wave, but they did come in 2017. All-in-all, the October wave this year is almost entirely rehashes of previous builds, with some sprucing up to differentiate them. It might not be so annoying if this hadn't been a recurring issue throughout the year... 2019 feels like it came with precious few original designs when viewed as a whole. 

I agree with you, but I don't think it's on LEGO nearly as much as on the Sequel Trilogy being composed almost entirely of stuff taken from the OT. The handful of new vehicles that've appeared have been made--the quadjumper and various speeders, basically--and with everything else, what choice does LEGO have other than to release what's in the movie? The nice diversity this year has been in the locations sets. Death Star Escape, Duel on Starkiller Base, Death Star Cannon, and especially Vader's Castle are all totally new, with Obi-Wan's Hut coming up in January. The only duplicates that annoyed me this year are the AT-AP, Droid Gunship, and Tantive IV; the previous iterations of those sets were all still perfectly fine. The UCS ISD is also a repeat, of course, but the previous one is 17 years old and showing its age at this point--I'm not going to knock them for repeating something after more than fifteen years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Kdapt-Preacher said:

I agree with you, but I don't think it's on LEGO nearly as much as on the Sequel Trilogy being composed almost entirely of stuff taken from the OT. The handful of new vehicles that've appeared have been made--the quadjumper and various speeders, basically--and with everything else, what choice does LEGO have other than to release what's in the movie? The nice diversity this year has been in the locations sets. Death Star Escape, Duel on Starkiller Base, Death Star Cannon, and especially Vader's Castle are all totally new, with Obi-Wan's Hut coming up in January. The only duplicates that annoyed me this year are the AT-AP, Droid Gunship, and Tantive IV; the previous iterations of those sets were all still perfectly fine. The UCS ISD is also a repeat, of course, but the previous one is 17 years old and showing its age at this point--I'm not going to knock them for repeating something after more than fifteen years.

Yeah, the sequel designs are partly to blame for the repetition of the October wave, not to mention spoilers being on lockdown until the new year. Still, LEGO could have chosen a location build from the first episode of Mandalorian over the AT-ST, which would have felt a bit fresher without spoiling anything.

For me, the main offenders in 2019 were the AT-AP, Droid Gunship, and the entire 20th Anniversary wave (minus the Slave 1, which actually got an all-new build). Yes, the Droid Gunship and the podracer got modest upgrades by way of better greebling, but by and large these were sets whose previous iterations were more than adequate, and they came at the expense of all-new sets from Rogue One, Solo, or the many prequel/original trilogy ships which haven't seen the light of day in over a decade (if ever). Not to mention the Juniors/4+ sets and the "battle" sets which chewed up more spots in the year's lineup... I don't fault LEGO for trying new things, trying to appeal to kids (they are the primary market, after all), or branching Star Wars out into the Juniors line. I just wish that maybe this all hadn't happened the same year we got rehash after rehash. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, jdubbs said:

I think you're splitting hairs here. The A-Wing and Y-Wing may not have come in 2015 as part of a TFA wave, but they did come in 2017. All-in-all, the October wave this year is almost entirely rehashes of previous builds, with some sprucing up to differentiate them. It might not be so annoying if this hadn't been a recurring issue throughout the year... 2019 feels like it came with precious few original designs when viewed as a whole. 

I disagree again with the a-wing and y-wing. That's not only a difference of two years, either way, but a different design for each vehicle. Yes, lots of the designs for resistance vehicles are similar to previous ones, but that's on the concept designers for the films. (and personally, I like the idea that the engineers in star wars evolve on current ship models. Not everything needs to be drastically different, and in-universe the sight of an x-wing or tie fighter brings with it the respective regime. The x-wing inspires hope, the Tie fear, and it makes sense that those factions would want to keep instilling that.) If you look at the wave we have:

A-wing: something people complained was missing from the TLJ sets (though in a different colour). This one is pretty similar though. Pasaana speeder chase: completely origional set with origional builds based on new vehicles. Y-wing: an altered design based on the IX model (in turn based on mcquarrie art). Kylo's shuttle: it might be based on the same vehicle as a 2015 set but it's a completely different model, the colour, wings, etc, fixing complaints people had about the origional. Obligatory millenium falcon: I completely agree with you here, this was entirely unnescesary, it's the third minifig-scale falcon in four years (though it was the only set I bought).

And of course, steller figures. So yeah, there's some overlap, but only two sets are based on specific vehicles we've had before, (as opposed to similar vehicles being the fault of the designers at lucasfilm) and one of them is very improved from an origional model we all complained about.

Personally, the only upcoming/recent set I think was really unnescary is the landspeeder. (and I suppose the kashyyyk sets from january)

Edited by Mandalorianknight

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Kdapt-Preacher said:

I agree with you, but I don't think it's on LEGO nearly as much as on the Sequel Trilogy being composed almost entirely of stuff taken from the OT. 

I do think it's partially lego's fault, maybe not when we're looking solely at the sequel trilgoy but definetely when we're shifting our focus on Star Wars in its entirety. There are still many things we have never gotten from the TV shows, games and movies that could easily provide us with the variaton we need/want.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, jdubbs said:

Yeah, the sequel designs are partly to blame for the repetition of the October wave, not to mention spoilers being on lockdown until the new year. Still, LEGO could have chosen a location build from the first episode of Mandalorian over the AT-ST, which would have felt a bit fresher without spoiling anything.

For me, the main offenders in 2019 were the AT-AP, Droid Gunship, and the entire 20th Anniversary wave (minus the Slave 1, which actually got an all-new build). Yes, the Droid Gunship and the podracer got modest upgrades by way of better greebling, but by and large these were sets whose previous iterations were more than adequate, and they came at the expense of all-new sets from Rogue One, Solo, or the many prequel/original trilogy ships which haven't seen the light of day in over a decade (if ever). Not to mention the Juniors/4+ sets and the "battle" sets which chewed up more spots in the year's lineup... I don't fault LEGO for trying new things, trying to appeal to kids (they are the primary market, after all), or branching Star Wars out into the Juniors line. I just wish that maybe this all hadn't happened the same year we got rehash after rehash. 

Agreed. The 20th anniversary sets were not bad but there was nothing particularly appealing about them (except for the updated Kashyyyk AT-RT, whichbi thought was very nice). This year was pretty bland for lego Star Wars (with some notable exceptions) an I hope to see some more exciting ideas next year. The popularity of The Mandalorian gives me hope for some nice original designs from the series. I’m also holding out hope for sets from the Clone Wars next year, which could be very nice. Aside from that, we should see some spoilery and more exciting ROS sets

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It also has something to do with rehashes of sets that are not interesting at all except for maybe the X-Wing. The A-wing has a lesser audience, but could also be considered okay for a remake. They could make more playsets, but kids probably love to play with vehicles and adults buy them regardless for either the figs or the build. The fact that the 20 year sets were also remakes and there is a new MF every 1-2 years now doesn't make it better. 

I think the discussion would be different if they remade the AT-AT, MTT, AT-TE, Republic Gunship and stuff like that. I don't hear anyone complain about the Mando AT-ST while that could also be considered a remake (Rogue One 2017) and that's probably because it's reminiscent to OT stuff (because it is). 

Personally I don't really mind the remakes as it saves me money and give other people the chance to get some sets they missed out on. The minifigures aren't exceptional anyway so they won't go for high prices on BL which also makes it easier for me to not buy the sets. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Kdapt-Preacher said:

I agree with you, but I don't think it's on LEGO nearly as much as on the Sequel Trilogy being composed almost entirely of stuff taken from the OT. The handful of new vehicles that've appeared have been made--the quadjumper and various speeders, basically--and with everything else, what choice does LEGO have other than to release what's in the movie? The nice diversity this year has been in the locations sets. Death Star Escape, Duel on Starkiller Base, Death Star Cannon, and especially Vader's Castle are all totally new, with Obi-Wan's Hut coming up in January. The only duplicates that annoyed me this year are the AT-AP, Droid Gunship, and Tantive IV; the previous iterations of those sets were all still perfectly fine. The UCS ISD is also a repeat, of course, but the previous one is 17 years old and showing its age at this point--I'm not going to knock them for repeating something after more than fifteen years.

Even most of the new designs in the movies barely even get a glimpse of screen time which doesn't help at all and certainly hurts the sets those things are based on likely helping to deter LEGO from selecting new designs for the basis of sets. Even if the Resistance X-Wing didn't show up in the film, it would still sell really well because it's still an X-Wing. On the other hand the Quadjumper and FO Snowspeeder got blink-and-you'll-miss-it appearances in TFA and the FO AT-HS got cut from TLJ completely. I'd love to see that one show up in ROS somehow just because it's such a bizarre design and would increase the appeal of the set.

Edited by ToaDraco

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TwoSolitudes said:

I'm sure I saw a Quadjumper parked in one of the Mandalorian episodes...

You did, in the spaceport in Chapters 1 and 3. But it still has, like, ten total seconds of screen time across all its appearances. That never would've gotten a set except that there are about five total vehicles in all of TFA, so LEGO was scraping the bottom of the barrel already.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Kdapt-Preacher said:

You did, in the spaceport in Chapters 1 and 3. But it still has, like, ten total seconds of screen time across all its appearances. That never would've gotten a set except that there are about five total vehicles in all of TFA, so LEGO was scraping the bottom of the barrel already.

I agree, it had very little screen time, and wasn't a neccesary set, much less one needed more than, say, a new tie bomber. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That exclusive Darth Maul minifig from Solo is absolutely amazing! I always thought he would make a perfect exclusive polybag or promo minifig. It’s just perfection

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Hoth Rebel said:

Probably the best Maul yet. In what book is he coming and when is that book to be released?

I love the printing of the mechanical legs. And the face printing is spectacular. I believe it’s a character encyclopedia 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Solo Darth Maul figure looks amazing! Finally a new Maul without the weird smile. Also happy to see the leg/feet printing has returned! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Now that's a cool book-exclusive minifig! Glad to see they're not done with the spin-offs yet, even if it is in small doses :laugh:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Balrogofmorgoth said:

That exclusive Darth Maul minifig from Solo is absolutely amazing! I always thought he would make a perfect exclusive polybag or promo minifig. It’s just perfection

It looks great, and as amazing as the torso print and mechanical legs are, I'm most excited that HE DOESNT HAVE THE CREEPY GRIN! It'll be great to have an accurate darth maul figure who doesn't look like he owns a white van.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't want the book at all but I might have to pick it up because that Maul figure is awesome!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Guyon2002 said:

I don't want the book at all but I might have to pick it up because that Maul figure is awesome!

The problem is the books are like $20. To me this is worse than buying a set just for the figures as instead of "I got "x" figures and a parts pack" it's "i got a single, really cool figure and a printout of brickset"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That Darth Maul figure looks awesome! Really wasn't expecting they'd come out with a Crimson Dawn variant this late after Solo's release but its great to see the movie hasn't been forgotten. The facial expression is also a MASSIVE improvement over the weird smiling one he's had the past several years. Hopefully they'll reuse it the next time a TPM minifigure comes along.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.