MKJoshA

LEGO Star Wars 2020 Set Discussion - READ FIRST POST!!!

15 hours ago, legozebra said:

Almost 2 hours past midnight and still no; I have no idea what stock production and demand will be like for this and really don't want to miss out... (i.e. the Ideas Piano vanished immediately and still can't be found in stores)

Did you get it? I managed to get one at the Canada site a bit before 9am EST. Light saber included. 

6 hours ago, BigGuy4U said:
  Hide contents

If Gamora was fine, I don't see any issues arising for Ahsoka.

Though there's a difference between changing a character's race in the MCU which is set in a completely different universe from the comics or anything else prior and doing the same thing in Star Wars which is one cohesive universe.

I don't understand any of this, if you don't mind can you explain?

4 hours ago, Redroe said:

And the ancient one first appeared as a white woman in the MCU rather than the comics, a different medium. I just can't see them cocking up a casting like that when a portion of fanbase savaged the only Asian actress with a lead role in the saga. The proportion of black characters has gone up a lot faster than the proportion of Asian characters.

Which is ok, to be clear. Rebels had the best diversity quota of any SW medium. Ezra's white, Kanan's black, Sabine's Asian. And then of course Hera's green. 

Ah now I think I got the previous comment as well.

I don't know why people care about this more than just change the actor or the look, despite an alien is an alien, and animated is animated how can someone tell what Ahsoka would look like if she was real on this planet. So considering the characters are from SW universe I think it's very weird to translate the characters into white, black and asian, especially since thats even wierd to do outside US (where else in the world you count dark skinned people with the origin in the african continents as black instead of africans, none of these colour make sense in reality) atleast to be consistent it should be white, black and yellow.

1 hour ago, TwoSolitudes said:

Did you get it? I managed to get one at the Canada site a bit before 9am EST. Light saber included. 

Haha thanks for checking, and yes I did - set my alarm 6AM my time zone to obtain it + the light saber. Oh, LEGO and your crazy release schedule...

In the instruction book the meet the model designer has an interesting tidbit.  Cesar, the designer, said that this is the first set he designed when he became a LEGO Star Wars designer in 2016.  It sat on his shelf for a few years until they were ready to release it.  Interesting that there could be a lot of already designed sets just waiting in the pipeline.

The book also mentions that Han doesn’t hesitate to shoot first! ???

Edited by azanderk

1 hour ago, Sneakguest said:

I don't understand any of this, if you don't mind can you explain?

Ah now I think I got the previous comment as well.

I don't know why people care about this more than just change the actor or the look, despite an alien is an alien, and animated is animated how can someone tell what Ahsoka would look like if she was real on this planet. So considering the characters are from SW universe I think it's very weird to translate the characters into white, black and asian, especially since thats even wierd to do outside US (where else in the world you count dark skinned people with the origin in the african continents as black instead of africans, none of these colour make sense in reality) atleast to be consistent it should be white, black and yellow.

Clarifying my comment, there's a big difference between a character being a different race in a brand new adaptation (i.e. comics to MCU) and a character suddenly switching races within the same continuity, which is much more jarring. I have to agree though, I never saw Sabine or any of the Ghost crew for that matter as having a specific race. Lucasfilm could probably get away with whatever they wanted for live action versions as long as the actor's skin tone is fairly close to how they look in the show.

Edited by BigGuy4U

30 minutes ago, BigGuy4U said:

Clarifying my comment, there's a big difference between a character being a different race in a brand new adaptation (i.e. comics to MCU) and a character suddenly switching races within the same continuity, which is much more jarring. I have to agree though, I never saw Sabine or any of the Ghost crew for that matter as having a specific race. Lucasfilm could probably get away with whatever they wanted for live action versions as long as the actor's skin tone is fairly close to how they look in the show.

I actually never saw Sabine as Asian. To me she always looked Greek or something. Maybe even Hispanic. But not Asian. It’s hard to tell in animation so I guess you’re right in that they could take it whatever direction they see it as

4 hours ago, Guyon2002 said:

Merrin (the Nightsister from Fallen Order) saves Cal and Cere from the Fortress Inquisitorius by swimming towards them far below the waters surface so it's definetely not paint. 

MAGIC PAINT! :laugh:.   Jokes aside, their canonical skin tone is the chalk-white, and the markings are tattoos. This means that character isn't a nightsister, but she could be from one of the other witch clans.

2 hours ago, azanderk said:

In the instruction book the meet the model designer has an interesting tidbit.  Cesar, the designer, said that this is the first set he designed when he became a LEGO Star Wars designer in 2016.  It sat on his shelf for a few years until they were ready to release it.  Interesting that there could be a lot of already designed sets just waiting in the pipeline.

That is interesting, although he must have tweaked it as there are a fair amount of parts that were released in the last few years.

1 hour ago, Balrogofmorgoth said:

I actually never saw Sabine as Asian. To me she always looked Greek or something. Maybe even Hispanic. But not Asian. It’s hard to tell in animation so I guess you’re right in that they could take it whatever direction they see it as

She's very ambiguous in terms of ethnicity (I kinda thought she was hispanic as well), but looking at her family, her brother and mother are both clearly of asian descent (I guess, mandalorian descent but you know what I mean). I personally don't think it matters either way, as I agree with your statement that with animation you've got more leeway to change for live adaptations. 

I regret bringing this topic up, although I guess someone would have mentioned it. Either way, since we're only getting one set for it, don't even know if she's in it, and if that is her, it's not in the costume we all want, anyway, so it's not really too related to this topic anymore.

Edited by Mandalorianknight

5 hours ago, Mandalorianknight said:

She's very ambiguous in terms of ethnicity (I kinda thought she was hispanic as well), but looking at her family, her brother and mother are both clearly of asian descent 

She always reminded me of Eskimo. Even more when she reunited with Ursa Wren on Krownest.

Edited by storskogen

Just ordered Mos Eisley Cantina! :excited:
No Yoda's Lightsaber, though. Was that a US/Canada only thing, or?

Regards,
Mitch

4 minutes ago, CF Mitch said:

Just ordered Mos Eisley Cantina! :excited:
No Yoda's Lightsaber, though. Was that a US/Canada only thing, or?

Regards,
Mitch

While that definetely wouldn't surprise I'm pretty sure this specific GWP just went out of stock really fast

Makes sense, but it wasn't mentioned anywhere yesterday as well, on the Dutch S@H (the order I made just now was by phone).
Oh well, no big loss.

Regards,
Mitch

Pretty frustrated about the Mos Eisley Cantina. Had it in the cart with the lightsaber. Went to payment, it was all there, ran the CC... it did the faces... and then order summary showed no lightsaber.

Called and was on-hold for over an hour to just be told "sorry."

Then last night I hear that the Lego stores were handing them out to non-VIPs making any Star Wars lego purchase... pretty frustrating how Lego handled this. At a minimum, you would think the shop from home would have enough tiny lightsabers made to cover the number of huge Mos Eisley sets produced and ready to sell on day one. This was a classic Lego screw up and is the last time I buy a set day one. Been screwed over too many times with their handling of the day one purchases. Now those of us that bought day one don't get VIP points, don't get a GWP... meanwhile non-VIPs and people who waited end up better off.

Just venting... I guess I learned my lesson. Day one purchases are a bad idea! :pir-murder:

Ordered the Cantina yesterday through Lego.be with Yoda’s lightsaber, surprisingly it arrived today. Never had a package from LEGO within the week. Looks like they do not have enough supply to meet the demand though, already on backorder...

1 hour ago, thorin said:

Then last night I hear that the Lego stores were handing them out to non-VIPs making any Star Wars lego purchase... pretty frustrating how Lego handled this. At a minimum, you would think the shop from home would have enough tiny lightsabers made to cover the number of huge Mos Eisley sets produced and ready to sell on day one.

Interesting...Where'd you hear this?  My store had the sets (and subsequent Yoda Lightsabers) behind the counter, they would grab them for you if you wanted and wouldn't ring you up without a VIP card or email address.  

24 minutes ago, Kit Figsto said:

Interesting...Where'd you hear this?  My store had the sets (and subsequent Yoda Lightsabers) behind the counter, they would grab them for you if you wanted and wouldn't ring you up without a VIP card or email address.  

My buddy went and got his in the Chicago-land area and said that he got his and someone else was there asking the store employee if he could have one without having to by the Cantina and they person told him it was "for any star wars purchase."

I know I'm just being an entitled whiner, but it's a shame that they handled it this way.

3 minutes ago, thorin said:

My buddy went and got his in the Chicago-land area and said that he got his and someone else was there asking the store employee if he could have one without having to by the Cantina and they person told him it was "for any star wars purchase."

I know I'm just being an entitled whiner, but it's a shame that they handled it this way.

Oh, wow, I hadn't heard that.  That is quite annoying since most other stores were apparently following the promotion like they were supposed to.  I wonder if larger stores got more in, since I think there was someone in the Los Angeles area saying theirs had 20+, whereas mine in a smaller area only got like 8 in.  Strange, strange distribution of this one, and I also am wondering employees weren't told it would be this limited.

Have the rules concerning the 501st battle pack changed? I ordered one on Lego.com with my purchase of the cantina & I have just received an email saying I exceeded the limit & the entire order has been cancelled. Am I correct in thinking that because I bought a battle pack when they first came out I cannot buy another one?? 

Edited by legocaptainrexfan

Those who've already got their hands on and built the Cantina, how long would you say the build time was?

3 hours ago, legocaptainrexfan said:

Have the rules concerning the 501st battle pack changed? I ordered one on Lego.com with my purchase of the cantina & I have just received an email saying I exceeded the limit & the entire order has been cancelled. Am I correct in thinking that because I bought a battle pack when they first came out I cannot buy another one?? 

Everything with the site seems to be really weird right now. I know I bought three when it first came out, and they didn't cancel my order. Then there's the whole thing with yoda's lightsaber, and of course covid must be causing some of this.

4 hours ago, Mandalorianknight said:

Everything with the site seems to be really weird right now. I know I bought three when it first came out, and they didn't cancel my order. Then there's the whole thing with yoda's lightsaber, and of course covid must be causing some of this.

An update on the 501st situation. I’ve just spoken to customer services & the limit is now 1 per household. This means even if you bought one months ago they’re not letting you purchase another. 

My Cantina arrived yesterday already, but there was a large dent on top of the box, where the 'Cantina' label is :damn: The GWP was in near perfect condition, just like the Frankenstein('s Monster) Brickheadz I had also ordered, but the Halloween Hayride was completely smashed by one of the air bags used to protect the Cantina…

I've already experienced damaged boxes (e.g. double Brickheadz), which were replaced for free without me having to return the damaged boxes, but I don't know what happens in the case of large boxes like this one… Has anyone got any experience with this kind of problem? 

In any case, I'll have to wait a bit before building the Cantina :hmpf:

1 hour ago, legocaptainrexfan said:

An update on the 501st situation. I’ve just spoken to customer services & the limit is now 1 per household. This means even if you bought one months ago they’re not letting you purchase another. 

Holy smoke. That's pretty bad. Make more Lego! 

I have one unopened here. I was planning to open it, keep the figs and use the parts elsewhere but gosh. In a couple of years it might pay off my mortgage.

2 minutes ago, Redroe said:

I have one unopened here. I was planning to open it, keep the figs and use the parts elsewhere but gosh. In a couple of years it might pay off my mortgage.

Looks like you’ve joined the dark side :vader: Time to push YOU down the stairs and pry some 501st Clones from your cold, dead hands :laugh_hard:

18 minutes ago, Redroe said:

Holy smoke. That's pretty bad. Make more Lego! 

I guess there are still tons of them in a normal shops, but your plan... maybe it will work