MKJoshA

LEGO Star Wars 2020 Set Discussion - READ FIRST POST!!!

Local store had the set and GWP, glad to have picked it up.  Probably won’t build it just yet due to a busy couple of weeks coming up, but very excited!  Never bought a D2C/UCS on day one like this, but super stoked on this set.  

41 minutes ago, bluedog1111 said:

Is the death star gone forever now? if not when will it be available again?

It is due to retire at the end of the year. It has been mostly out of stock on lego.com since March, though I have seen it reappear or show up as on backorder... I think it was there yesterday, but seems to have sold out again. Some third-party stores (Amazon, Target, etc.) may have stock still as well. 

14 minutes ago, Han Solo MD said:

Sure, but it was still odd in that even VIP only GWPs have banner ads on the website, emails announcements etc. I don't think it was ever formally announced by Lego (Perhaps due to the fact they knew that had such a real shortage on their hands)

I received an email promoting the lightsaber GWP this morning. After it had already sold out.

10 minutes ago, jdubbs said:

I received an email promoting the lightsaber GWP this morning. After it had already sold out.

Haha, I just realized that I did as well, well after it had sold out. Interesting chioce

37 minutes ago, Han Solo MD said:

Sure, but it was still odd in that even VIP only GWPs have banner ads on the website, emails announcements etc. I don't think it was ever formally announced by Lego (Perhaps due to the fact they knew that had such a real shortage on their hands)

Yeah. Have no idea why it's that way...

29 minutes ago, jdubbs said:

It is due to retire at the end of the year. It has been mostly out of stock on lego.com since March, though I have seen it reappear or show up as on backorder... I think it was there yesterday, but seems to have sold out again. Some third-party stores (Amazon, Target, etc.) may have stock still as well. 

Amazon usually sells them expensive. Bricklink is a better place...

2 hours ago, BigGuy4U said:
  Reveal hidden contents

If Gamora was fine, I don't see any issues arising for Ahsoka.

Though there's a difference between changing a character's race in the MCU which is set in a completely different universe from the comics or anything else prior and doing the same thing in Star Wars which is one cohesive universe.

And the ancient one first appeared as a white woman in the MCU rather than the comics, a different medium. I just can't see them cocking up a casting like that when a portion of fanbase savaged the only Asian actress with a lead role in the saga. The proportion of black characters has gone up a lot faster than the proportion of Asian characters.

Which is ok, to be clear. Rebels had the best diversity quota of any SW medium. Ezra's white, Kanan's black, Sabine's Asian. And then of course Hera's green. 

Edited by Redroe

I got extremely lucky....managed to get an order in (including the GWP) just after 9:00 am EST this morning. I'm in the Mountain Time zone, and woke up just as it went live. Rolled over, picked up my phone and ordered, then rolled back over and went back to sleep. :laugh:

Seems LEGO really messed up with the Yoda's Lightsaber promotion. I don't think I've ever seen a GWP sell out this fast.

3 minutes ago, The_Chosen_1 said:

I got extremely lucky....managed to get an order in (including the GWP) just after 9:00 am EST this morning. I'm in the Mountain Time zone, and woke up just as it went live. Rolled over, picked up my phone and ordered, then rolled back over and went back to sleep. :laugh:

Seems LEGO really messed up with the Yoda's Lightsaber promotion. I don't think I've ever seen a GWP sell out this fast.

I heard somewhere it was limited to 3,000 total sets, which seems much lower than any other GWP.  The store I went to had like six in stock about a half hour after they opened, Google tells me there's roughly 180-200 total stores around the world, so if the 3,000 number is true, that means only about 1,000-1,500 or so sold online across the world (assuming each store got about ten in, not sure if stores in larger cities would've gotten more), which appeared to be split by country or continent?  

I mean, I know that typically they're limited, but I don't remember the May 4th sets or polybags selling out within like fifteen minutes like this one did online.  

I was expecting the price on this to be closer to $30-50 like the mini-dioramas are, there are already some selling for $80-120 and I don't really see that dropping.

21 minutes ago, The_Chosen_1 said:

That's great.

6 minutes ago, Kit Figsto said:

I heard somewhere it was limited to 3,000 total sets, which seems much lower than any other GWP.  The store I went to had like six in stock about a half hour after they opened, Google tells me there's roughly 180-200 total stores around the world, so if the 3,000 number is true, that means only about 1,000-1,500 or so sold online across the world (assuming each store got about ten in, not sure if stores in larger cities would've gotten more), which appeared to be split by country or continent?  

I mean, I know that typically they're limited, but I don't remember the May 4th sets or polybags selling out within like fifteen minutes like this one did online.  

I was expecting the price on this to be closer to $30-50 like the mini-dioramas are, there are already some selling for $80-120 and I don't really see that dropping.

I got one from my store and I'm glad to have it, but seriously who would pay more than $30 for this particular GWP? I think the shortage that happened earlier this year gave scalpers and resellers a bloated concept of resell value on things. While I can buy that sellers may stubbornly try to price the set that high, I can't imagine anyone paying that for a set that has one exclusive printed plaque and no other exclusivity beyond its packaging. 

3 hours ago, Mandalorianknight said:
  Hide contents

True, but this wouldn't be the first time a disney property's messed with a character's race. In the doctor strange films, they changed the ancient one from an old asian man to a scottish woman. There might also just be more leeway with animated characters.

IIRC, this was done in order to avoid falling into racial stereotypes, so there was actually a reason behind the decision - A reason that would not apply to Sabine. 

31 minutes ago, Redroe said:

I just can't see them cocking up a casting like that when a portion of fanbase savaged the only Asian actress with a lead role in the saga. The proportion of black characters has gone up a lot faster than the proportion of Asian characters.

Agreed - Particularly since Filoni is producing the series. I find it highly unlikely that he would forget the race of a main character on a show that he created/produced, and one wherein her entire family is also depicted as Asian (Not to mention Ursa Wren's cameo in TCW, where she again is shown clearly to be Asian). 

Spoiler

Overall, I think that Sasha Banks cannot possibly be playing Sabine. Beyond the racial issue, there have not been any credible claims that Sabine will even appear in the show (unlike Ahsoka, Bo-Katan, Boba Fett and/or Rex, and even Cobb Vanth), and there is absolutely nothing about Banks' costume that looks like something that Sabine would ever wear (even as a disguise, since since an all-black robe with an ornate hood would make her stand out on what appears to be a fishing dock). 
My theory is that Banks is playing a villain (possibly Sith Eternal), since her outfit recalls early concept art for Kylo Ren and Snoke. 

45 minutes ago, Redroe said:

Rebels had the best diversity quota of any SW medium. Ezra's white, Kanan's black

I always saw Ezra as Middle Eastern and Kanan as racially-ambiguous, but I agree that Rebels had a very diverse cast. 

That lightsaber disappeared quick. Fortunately I was checking Lego.com on the hour, every hour for the cantina to go on sale. Bought it around 9:00am. Very similar to the Batmobile which sold out in hours. Strangely enough they had plenty of the Batmobile GWP in the London Leicester Square when I went up there that weekend. So always worth checking the stores (but this year London is definitely out for me due to the pandemic).

Just had an email to say that the Cantina and Lightsaber have been dispatched.

Edited by TheMainBricker

25 minutes ago, Archer said:

I got one from my store and I'm glad to have it, but seriously who would pay more than $30 for this particular GWP? I think the shortage that happened earlier this year gave scalpers and resellers a bloated concept of resell value on things. While I can buy that sellers may stubbornly try to price the set that high, I can't imagine anyone paying that for a set that has one exclusive printed plaque and no other exclusivity beyond its packaging. 

Yeah, it's cool and all, but it's not like Luke's saber or anything where it's a super iconic display piece.  But I think the fact that it sold out almost instantly meant some people missed out on it (plus people who didn't want the cantina but were interested in it), and with the supply so limited, it's no wonder that the prices got jacked up so high right away.  I feel like this may fall into a similar category as some of those convention exclusive sets, where they aren't terribly exciting or novel, but they're exclusive and scarce, so completionists will buy them, and a small supply means that people can set the price much higher.

Edited by Kit Figsto

13 hours ago, Redroe said:

Yeah but I will know it's a different ship :laugh: I remain worried. Mando is far enough removed from the rest of the universe to chart new waters. Literally, apparently.

If Slave I can survive losing a wing, crashing, and exploding, I think that the Razor Crest can handle some damaged hull plating (especially since the ship just seemed to be adrift before it crashed, not completely destroyed). 

Edited by Classic_Spaceman

1 minute ago, Kit Figsto said:

Yeah, it's cool and all, but it's not like Luke's saber or anything where it's a super iconic display piece.  But I think the fact that it sold out almost instantly meant some people missed out on it (plus people who didn't want the cantina but were interested in it), and with the supply so limited, it's no wonder that the prices got jacked up so high right away. 

It's certainly an odd choice for a GWP. The only thing I can think is that they wanted to test a lightsaber build, but at the part count/price allotted the most they could do is something the size of yoda's saber.

11 hours ago, Sneakguest said:

Well then maybe we can rid of this old and exhaused cliché of AFOLs are not a big marked for LEGO as an excuse to counter criticize those tired of constantly repeated sets. 

Haha, very true!

16 minutes ago, Classic_Spaceman said:

My theory is that Banks is playing a villain (possibly Sith Eternal), since her outfit recalls early concept art for Kylo Ren and Snoke. 

If so that would be great. Star wars is missing a glamorous, dangerous female villain, in live action anyway. Ventress is a bit too psychotic to make the grade. Phasma was turned into a big joke and then hurriedly shuffled off in the franchise's worst scene. Zam Wesell is a generic bounty hunter. Qira's villainy is all subtext. A female foe for Mando has great dramatic potential.

Nightsister? I wonder.

Also hope to get a minifig. Thought I'd add that in case I got hauled in for going off topic. :sweet:

Edited by Redroe

14 minutes ago, Mandalorianknight said:

It's certainly an odd choice for a GWP. The only thing I can think is that they wanted to test a lightsaber build, but at the part count/price allotted the most they could do is something the size of yoda's saber.

I feel like if this were five years ago, we would've had a BoShek polybag or something, which people would've gone even more nuts for, though I'd also guess those minifig promos weren't nearly as limited as this.

And that's my theory as well, I think given how we've had the creature/character busts, mosaics and helmets, both of which seems to get a fairly positive response (plus the Brick Sketches too, but those aren't as AFOL targeted), some sort of lightsaber models were inevitable, especially since these can be close to actual size.

Edited by Kit Figsto

3 minutes ago, Redroe said:

If so that would be great. Star wars is missing a glamorous, dangerous female villain, in live action anyway. Ventress is a bit too psychotic to make the grade.

Ventress also became an anti-hero and a more complex character, which disqualifies her as a "pure" (that is, completely evil/irredeemable) villain. 

6 minutes ago, Redroe said:

Nightsister? I wonder.

Unlikely. The Nightsisters have chalky white skin, wear red, and have almost (if not completely) died out by the time of The Mandalorian. Sith Eternal makes more sense, as it would tie the show into the ST era (I already think that Moff Gideon is a member, and that he needs The Child as part of the cult's effort to resurrect Palpatine). Furthermore, the Sith's inclusion in some capacity seems to be hinted-at by the Armorer's line about "a race of enemy sorcerers" (referring to the Jedi, but since the audience knows that they are (now) not enemies, some kind of "enemy sorcerers" need to appear in order for the line to have payoff). 

There was a line of maybe 25+ at the Costa Mesa store this morning, seemed like they might have had a good amount of the GWP, one of the guys maybe 10 back asked if they would have enough and the employee seemed to indicate they had more than enough and was surprised they sold out of them online..

1 hour ago, Redroe said:

If so that would be great. Star wars is missing a glamorous, dangerous female villain, in live action anyway. Ventress is a bit too psychotic to make the grade. Phasma was turned into a big joke and then hurriedly shuffled off in the franchise's worst scene. Zam Wesell is a generic bounty hunter. Qira's villainy is all subtext. A female foe for Mando has great dramatic potential.

Nightsister? I wonder.

Also hope to get a minifig. Thought I'd add that in case I got hauled in for going off topic. :sweet:

If you're looking for female villains in star wars, the inquisitorius has you covered. Second sister especially is a great villain in that game, which isn't live action so to speak but the voice actors did mocap for their characters, so they all look exactly like them, and it's pretty dang realistic graphics.

Such a shame we seemingly won't ever get sets for it...

48 minutes ago, Classic_Spaceman said:

Unlikely. The Nightsisters have chalky white skin, wear red, and have almost (if not completely) died out by the time of The Mandalorian

buuuuuut....the clone wars anthology book had a short story at the end about other races of dathomirian witches, not all of whom looked like nightsisters, and that short story was exempt from early release copies, which is pretty darn suspicious.

To try to get back on topic, the cantina certainly seems to be selling well. That's good, it's a great set.

55 minutes ago, Classic_Spaceman said:

which disqualifies her as a "pure" (that is, completely evil/irredeemable) villain. 

The whole saga is about the redemption of villainy! Let's hear it for the irredeemable. Palpatine, Dooku, Grievous... as for the rest, even Maul has his moments, and even Hux, worm that he is, isn't dark til the end. 

90% sure that white face is painted on. Those ain't no birthmarks. Just crossed my mind that the Nightsisters and Mandalorians have some shared history... Maul, Ventress, Sabine, the Darksaber. Can't wait to see how some of tjis stuff ties together.

So was the lightsaber only available with the purchase of the UCS Cantina as a GWP, or could also be bought as a VIP?

I had no interest in the Cantina, not sure about the lightsaber, but definitely don't like this new trend of GWP disappearing instantly and being even more limited to a single item.

Hagrid and Buckbeak sold out fast too, but at least that was $100 purchase, instead of one single item.

5 minutes ago, Mandalorianknight said:

you're looking for female villains in star wars, the inquisitorius has you covered. Second sister especially is a great villain in that game, which isn't live action so to speak but the voice actors did mocap for their characters, so they all look exactly like them, and it's pretty dang realistic graphics.

Never played it. Gaming has passed from my life with the advent of kids. I like the 2nd? 7th? Sister in rebels though, mainly because I know she's voiced by Buffy.

8 minutes ago, Redroe said:

90% sure that white face is painted on. Those ain't no birthmarks. Just crossed my mind that the Nightsisters and Mandalorians have some shared history... Maul, Ventress, Sabine, the Darksaber. Can't wait to see how some of tjis stuff ties together.

Merrin (the Nightsister from Fallen Order) saves Cal and Cere from the Fortress Inquisitorius by swimming towards them far below the waters surface so it's definetely not paint.