MKJoshA

LEGO Star Wars 2020 Set Discussion - READ FIRST POST!!!

Recommended Posts

my colleague at work is considering buying the Cantina to resell it later :angry:

 

Edited by macaron35

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, macaron35 said:

my colleague at work is considering buying the Cantina to resell it later :angry:

 

Push him down the stairs next time you go for a brew. If he doesn't want the Ponda Baba, wait til he buys it, then push him down the stairs and give the Ponda to me. :vader:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Redroe said:

Push him down the stairs next time you go for a brew. If he doesn't want the Ponda Baba, wait til he buys it, then push him down the stairs and give the Ponda to me. :vader:

:laugh_hard:

Thankfully, the scalpers’ lucky streak is pretty much over when it comes to regular and D2C sets (convention exclusives, not so much). Sure, most sets still get more expensive on the aftermarket once they reach their EOL, but not as ludicrously expensive as 10 years ago. The scalpers’ greed was their own undoing: after they’ve struck gold with sets like the AT-OT, other people’s attention was caught and the lucrativeness of “LEGO investment” (*shudder*) was no longer a secret. Now, everyone and their grandma are horting sets in the hopes of excessive resale values in the future but that won’t happen again so quickly :laugh: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow, that GWP went quickly!

As long as there are sensible limits when D2C sets are launched I don't really care if anybody buys it as an investment. Putting down the money and storing a big box for years and years isn't really that lucrative IMO. It makes more sense to buy sets nearing the end of their shelf life if the plan is to resell. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Renegade Clone said:

Is there an upcoming issue of the LSW magazine with Bespin Luke? I swear it popped up in my instagram feed, but now I can't find it. If so, that solves my Bespin Duel problem! 

 

Yes earlier in the thread. Go up slightly from my post here.

 

16 minutes ago, LegoFjotten said:

Wow, that GWP went quickly!

As long as there are sensible limits when D2C sets are launched I don't really care if anybody buys it as an investment. Putting down the money and storing a big box for years and years isn't really that lucrative IMO. It makes more sense to buy sets nearing the end of their shelf life if the plan is to resell. 

That GWP is the way profit is made on initial release. The GWP plus hoping it goes out of stock so people panic buy from a reseller for not much more than RRP. Of course, people may also wait until double points or 4th May promos. Or just time it right to get it just before retirement.

Then there are people that will buy it, get the GWP and part it out. Quick sale of minifigures will get lots of value back, plus then the slower sale of other parts. The figures, especially the new ones, will be popular for those not wanting the full set.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just got my order in here in the US! And I got the GWP.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

any guesses how much the lightsaber will cost on bricklink? dont really wanna buy cantina rn but I really want that lightsaber and if its gonna be absurdly expensive then I probably just give in and get the cantina

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lightsaber appears to be sold out on US store. Not adding to bag right now.

Glad I got my order in right at 9:00.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Surge said:

any guesses how much the lightsaber will cost on bricklink? dont really wanna buy cantina rn but I really want that lightsaber and if its gonna be absurdly expensive then I probably just give in and get the cantina

They went out of stock quickly in the UK and also seem to have in the US. So I'd expect them to be reasonably expensive to buy on bricklink, at least as the boxed set.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Curious whether the Lightsaber GWP will come here in my region... sales of the MBS Mos Eisley Cantina started early but there's no sign of this Lightsaber GWP (Malaysia/Singapore)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Northoftheborder said:

Does anyone know if there will be a Triple Force Friday Star Wars event at Lego?  They typically have a GWP during the first week of October...  any thoughts?

I don’t think so. No new movie is coming out that would provide more merch for that event.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, darn.  I was ready for a midnight/1 am release and went to bed hoping for a 10 am EST release, missed it by an hour.  Going to see if my local LEGO store has the GWP available still, otherwise I may think on it another day or so.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Redroe said:

Yeah but I will know it's a different ship :laugh: I remain worried. Mando is far enough removed from the rest of the universe to chart new waters. Literally, apparently.

I love that there's a bona fide boat in the mandalorian. It just fits the aesthetic of the mandalorian, kinda,  the sort of grungy, lived-in feel.

4 hours ago, Redroe said:

Push him down the stairs next time you go for a brew. If he doesn't want the Ponda Baba, wait til he buys it, then push him down the stairs and give the Ponda to me. :vader:

I'll take the saurin and ithorian! 

3 hours ago, Lego-Freak said:

:laugh_hard:

Thankfully, the scalpers’ lucky streak is pretty much over when it comes to regular and D2C sets (convention exclusives, not so much). Sure, most sets still get more expensive on the aftermarket once they reach their EOL, but not as ludicrously expensive as 10 years ago. The scalpers’ greed was their own undoing: after they’ve struck gold with sets like the AT-OT, other people’s attention was caught and the lucrativeness of “LEGO investment” (*shudder*) was no longer a secret. Now, everyone and their grandma are horting sets in the hopes of excessive resale values in the future but that won’t happen again so quickly :laugh: 

I admit, I plan to purchase some more copies of the 501st to keep sealed, but I'm not going to do that until it's easily available, so as not to ruin some poor kid's day, and I'm only planning to sell them once the set retires.

9 hours ago, Redroe said:

The thing is.... the animated appearance of that character is quite distinctly of Asian (or whatever that relates to in Star Wars) descent and Sasha Banks is quite obviously of African descent... no way they'd make a howler like that on a minority cast member in modern Star Wars? 

Beautiful lady anyway. Never seen her act so eagerly await seeing how she fits into the universe.

(Thinking about it, they have cast a leading black actress and they're about to paint her orange and stick horns on her, so.)

Someome tell me how to do that funky 'reveal hidden content' thing?

If you're on a computer, there should be an eye icon next to the one for the emojis/lego heads. Clicking that creates a hidden tab.

Spoiler

True, but this wouldn't be the first time a disney property's messed with a character's race. In the doctor strange films, they changed the ancient one from an old asian man to a scottish woman. There might also just be more leeway with animated characters.

As for Ahsoka, it is interesting, though still not confirmed of course, it might as well be. With her, though, I wouldn't think there'd be much controversy over the race, as she's an alien, so the ethnicity of the actress can't really be a problem IMO.
The real mistake would be if they cast an ithorian zabrak as a dathomiran zabrak. :laugh:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Mandalorianknight said:

 

  Hide contents

True, but this wouldn't be the first time a disney property's messed with a character's race. In the doctor strange films, they changed the ancient one from an old asian man to a scottish woman. There might also just be more leeway with animated characters.

As for Ahsoka, it is interesting, though still not confirmed of course, it might as well be. With her, though, I wouldn't think there'd be much controversy over the race, as she's an alien, so the ethnicity of the actress can't really be a problem IMO.
The real mistake would be if they cast an ithorian zabrak as a dathomiran zabrak. :laugh:

 

Spoiler

If Gamora was fine, I don't see any issues arising for Ahsoka.

Though there's a difference between changing a character's race in the MCU which is set in a completely different universe from the comics or anything else prior and doing the same thing in Star Wars which is one cohesive universe.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Redroe said:

Can anyone tell me if the new AT AT has "fixed" the neck so it can move up and down as well as side to side? The restricted head movement bother me. I want to be able to do that trick shot when it takes a snowspeeder out in full flight.

Unfortunately it just swings from side to side, but I think tinkering with the neck-to-head attachment may be the way to go to get the movement you want

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Han Solo MD said:

Yep US is live and GWP available! Although still not advertised...

The GWP is for VIPs only...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, JintaiZ said:

The GWP is for VIPs only...

Sure, but it was still odd in that even VIP only GWPs have banner ads on the website, emails announcements etc. I don't think it was ever formally announced by Lego (Perhaps due to the fact they knew that had such a real shortage on their hands)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.