MKJoshA

LEGO Star Wars 2020 Set Discussion - READ FIRST POST!!!

16 minutes ago, RODDY said:

Seeing the interior, I’m really not feeling too hot about the price of this set, it seems a bit small for $350. The 2014 set was $60, and this is like x3 of that set. Add inflation make it $70 and you’re up to $210. Even including the outpost and the speeder, you’re looking at $270ish and add that lucrative Disney tax and you’re up to $300. But $350 is imo pushing it, will I still pick it up yeah gotta get my hands on Garindan but I’m not gonna lie this one is gonna sting a bit. I wish they would of charged $250 and left out the outpost. 

The 2014 set was only 581 pieces. This is 5.5x larger, not 3x. The price per piece for this one is better than the 2014 set adjusted for inflation. And this one has more building per brick, so to speak, since the landspeeder in the 2014 one was a much larger fraction of that total piece count.

This is always going to be kind of a rough comparison, too, though, because the 2014 cantina was a really unusually good set. 8 minifigures, plus the dewback, in a set of that size is fantastic no matter how you slice it, especially since seven of the eight figures were new and the Bith had the new head mold. Practically any other set would look like poor value for money by comparison. But I still think the UCS Cantina holds its own.

Edited by Kdapt-Preacher

I own the 2014 cantina, this is not just ''3 times this set''.

The 2014 has a 2x 6 studs depht alcoves with no roofs, a very small bar counter and only the entrance has a roof. Dewback plus landspeeder and a mini fig lineup that was great but missing A LOT of stuff. You can't ever moc something out of it that looks remotly good as the new set and people tried HARD with multiple sets.

This one has 6x 12 studs wide alcoves with floor included, roofing, the complete bar, exit and entrance, the alley market, new speeder and plenty of interesting local fauna. It's gonna be really nice on display too!

My only criticism is that I would have liked to see even more aliens and maybe another sandtrooper with the enlistee rank (black pauldron, but the depicted accuratly the two present inspecting the bar)! Muftak (big 4 eyed Talz alien with the white fur) and maybe even the removed werewolf guy. 

I think comparisons with older sets is unfair. The cantina is a pretty simple set up, i don't really see what else they could do.

The thing is you can always use the other cantinas, and even obi wans hut to extend mos eisley, which is how I'm going to display it.

These MBS sets recall me a lot of Lego Ideas sets, which many have good displayability and playability. A popular MOC or desirable MOC design is translated into a Lego set. A perfect example is the 21322 Barracuda Bay set. To me the process for this one is, in its essence, about the same, without the Lego Ideas voting of course.

Edited by dvogon

7 hours ago, ginja said:

Loving luke just laying about on the floor.

He's clearly had too much to drink. And that Devaronian's just parked his speeder inside the bar.

Chaos at the Cantina. 

In all seriousness though, I love the way the set folds out. I think the whole interior looks great. 

May have to start saving up for my first UCS/MBS set! 

The interior is very bland, expected much more space. Hopefully the bar part is removable. 

I hate to think what the price is going to be. Wouldn’t be surprised to see it be $700. At the very least it’ll be $600, and at that price I’d much rather buy Diagon Alley (despite only ever seeing half of the first Harry Potter movie and absolutely hating it). Even if we get lucky and it’s priced at $500 like Bespin (even though it has 1000 more pieces) that’s still too much for what it is. Will be waiting for heavy discounts on this, otherwise it’ll be the first Star Wars D2C I skip in years. 

32 minutes ago, Brikkyy13 said:

The interior is very bland, expected much more space. Hopefully the bar part is removable. 

I hate to think what the price is going to be. Wouldn’t be surprised to see it be $700. At the very least it’ll be $600, and at that price I’d much rather buy Diagon Alley (despite only ever seeing half of the first Harry Potter movie and absolutely hating it). Even if we get lucky and it’s priced at $500 like Bespin (even though it has 1000 more pieces) that’s still too much for what it is. Will be waiting for heavy discounts on this, otherwise it’ll be the first Star Wars D2C I skip in years. 

Betrayal at Cloud City had 2812 pieces. The Cantina has 3187. That's a difference of ±350 pieces, not 1000. 

Cloud City was $350 (US), the same that this set is reported to be. Though that could still change, as has happened with a few recent sets just prior to launch. 

The interior looks great though it has less detail than I had hoped. I am glad it's nice and spacious with room for plenty of minifigs. I'm worried about the price though. The rumored $350 makes my eyes water but is probably true. Ideally it's $250-$300 but I know that's probably unrealistic. 

30 minutes ago, ToaDraco said:

The rumored $350 makes my eyes water but is probably true.

Whereas i hope that it will indeed be $350. Because considering how many pieces it has and how many minifigures it has and the fact that most of those minifigures are a first and how famous the cantina is, I fear that Lego might charge more than that.

10 hours ago, jdubbs said:

A month or two ago a few lists started circulating among the "leakers" and Instagrammers. The lists included 1H 2021 prices and generic descriptions ("Hero Vehicle", etc.). Sets were generally not identified by movie/show/era/etc., with one or two exceptions. The two versions of the list that crossed my plate were similar but disagreed on some things. 

I can't speak for all those other guys and what more they have (or haven't) learned since then, and I'm not at liberty to say what more I personally know about those sets, except that I am (so far) underwhelmed.

Interesting, especially that it’s looking to be potentially underwhelming. What’s a past wave you would describe as similarly underwhelming?

20 minutes ago, FeepoGerbin said:

Interesting, especially that it’s looking to be potentially underwhelming. What’s a past wave you would describe as similarly underwhelming?

The current wave underwhelmed me (at least if you set aside the store exclusives like Razor Crest, Bespin Duel, and even the Galaxy's Edge thing). Small sets, scale was all over the place (a few builds grossly over-sized, another grossly under-sized), very few legitimately new figs, a lot of rehashes, massive price inflation, capping off a year with fewer sets overall than we've seen in previous years. The store exclusives and D2Cs made up for that to some extent, but 2020 as a whole was still a letdown for me. I saved a lot of money though!

But the thing is, for everyone who is dissatisfied with any given set or wave, there is someone who is happy to have it. If you're a big-time CW/prequel fan, or you don't already have an AT-AT, this was a good wave. The same will no doubt be true next year.... some people will be happy with certain things that others are unhappy with.

Edited by jdubbs

2 hours ago, jdubbs said:

Betrayal at Cloud City had 2812 pieces. The Cantina has 3187. That's a difference of ±350 pieces, not 1000. 

Cloud City was $350 (US), the same that this set is reported to be. Though that could still change, as has happened with a few recent sets just prior to launch. 

My bad, from memory I thought it was about 2200 pieces. Still, $500 for a beige box... yikes.

Edited by Brikkyy13

Are we certain the Bespin Duel set is completely gone? My work managed to get a few more cases. They fulfilled that but not any of the 501st

Well on Target.com it says temporarily out of stock. Who knows? I heard the best bet is just keeping checking Target and Lego.com. It's not sold in stores, that's all I know. Target said they haven't heard anything from Lego about the product. 

I guess the set is nice both way exterior / interior. For me the LEGO set always have to be a play set at the first place, as LEGO is a TOY. If it also looks great as a display one, its just a welcome +.

Therefore I like the Death Star, Ewok Village, Betrayal at Cloud city, Sandcrawler and now the Mos Eisley Cantina. What I am missing a bit in the Cantina is the Bantha and complete band, however the band will be ease to make by combining the band members from the old Cantina with the new one Imao.

With prize we cannot do anything, but if it will be 350,-€ its OK for me, as nowadays the Star Wars sets are expensive, and I do not think it will ever change .

needing a piece of advice

I just got the latest AT-AT

do you think the anniversary snowspeeder (75259) would be a good fit with this AT-AT in terms of size ?

thanks

10 minutes ago, macaron35 said:

do you think the anniversary snowspeeder (75259) would be a good fit with this AT-AT in terms of size ?

thanks

Apparently the 4+ snowspeeder (75268) is a better scale size-wise to the AT-AT.

14 minutes ago, macaron35 said:

thanks

The At-at s are never minifig scale and neither, really are the snowspeeders. The At-at is undersized and the snowspeeder is oversized (though to a lesser degree)

Could anyone who got the Razor Crest please measure the distance (preferably cm) between the front landing gear and the end of ship tail? Just want to make sure I can display it on my Lego shelves (i.e. I have enought depth).

1 hour ago, ginja said:

The At-at s are never minifig scale and neither, really are the snowspeeders. The At-at is undersized and the snowspeeder is oversized (though to a lesser degree)

i agree with you, the AT-AT is a bit undersized

but the 75259 snowspeeder is more detailed than the 75268, that's why i am hesitating

or should i go for the 75049 and replace some grey/white parts by the orange one to get an appropriate size compared the AT-AT ?

38 minutes ago, macaron35 said:

i agree with you, the AT-AT is a bit undersized

but the 75259 snowspeeder is more detailed than the 75268, that's why i am hesitating

I wouldn't get the older snowspeeder although it's more detailed than the 4+ snowspeeder it is quite inaccurate with the windscreen and shaping, same can be said with the 4+ but its a lot cheaper and more size accurate. If you want to display both together than I would heavily recommend the 4+ because it compliments the AT-AT a lot more. 

8 minutes ago, TeeNuggetTa said:

I wouldn't get the older snowspeeder although it's more detailed than the 4+ snowspeeder it is quite inaccurate with the windscreen and shaping, same can be said with the 4+ but its a lot cheaper and more size accurate. If you want to display both together than I would heavily recommend the 4+ because it compliments the AT-AT a lot more. 

75259 then ?

there is also the one from the battle of hoth, i was wondering how is its size compared to the others

Hello everyone! New joiner here, though I’ve been a lurker for the best part of a decade.

First off and to address the Dewback in the room, the MBS Mos Eisley Cantina looks incredible! A definite purchase for me next month along with the rest of the summer wave. Potential pricing issues aside, the overall layout and content of the set look fantastic - very display-worthy with a good complement of mini figures to populate it. Nice to see new moulds for cantina patrons too! 

9 hours ago, jdubbs said:

But the thing is, for everyone who is dissatisfied with any given set or wave, there is someone who is happy to have it. If you're a big-time CW/prequel fan, or you don't already have an AT-AT, this was a good wave. The same will no doubt be true next year.... some people will be happy with certain things that others are unhappy with.

This is interesting. Most sets from the summer wave this year struck me as “This could have been really good if they had done [XYZ].” Not fun that this approach will continue into 2021, but alas. 

Has anyone in the U.K. had any success acquiring the 501st and AAT sets? I’m aiming to order them from Shop@Home but they’ve been out of stock since August 1st. Funnily the Death Star Final Duel set was also OOS but was restocked recently.

11 minutes ago, T21Typhoon said:

Hello everyone! New joiner here, though I’ve been a lurker for the best part of a decade.

First off and to address the Dewback in the room, the MBS Mos Eisley Cantina looks incredible! A definite purchase for me next month along with the rest of the summer wave. Potential pricing issues aside, the overall layout and content of the set look fantastic - very display-worthy with a good complement of mini figures to populate it. Nice to see new moulds for cantina patrons too! 

This is interesting. Most sets from the summer wave this year struck me as “This could have been really good if they had done [XYZ].” Not fun that this approach will continue into 2021, but alas. 

Has anyone in the U.K. had any success acquiring the 501st and AAT sets? I’m aiming to order them from Shop@Home but they’ve been out of stock since August 1st. Funnily the Death Star Final Duel set was also OOS but was restocked recently.

I’m not in the UK but I’d say your best bet is probably to keep waiting it out, or keep checking local retail stores for the 501st and AAT. They seem hard to find here in the US as well, I’ve only seen them on shelves very occasionally

10 hours ago, jdubbs said:

The current wave underwhelmed me (at least if you set aside the store exclusives like Razor Crest, Bespin Duel, and even the Galaxy's Edge thing). Small sets, scale was all over the place (a few builds grossly over-sized, another grossly under-sized), very few legitimately new figs, a lot of rehashes, massive price inflation, capping off a year with fewer sets overall than we've seen in previous years. The store exclusives and D2Cs made up for that to some extent, but 2020 as a whole was still a letdown for me. I saved a lot of money though!

Personally, I don’t mind repeats that much. If it’s a good enough update (which the AT-AT, Grievous Ship, and Jedi Interceptor all are IMO) then I’ll get them even if I already have previous versions. I’m happy to do it, there are always new design options to explore and improvements to make. If I don’t feel like I want the updated set, I save myself some money. Simple as that. Honestly I’ve been saying for years that Lego Star Wars needs to dial it back a notch as far as how many sets are released in a year, simply because I just can’t keep up and don’t want to miss out on any great sets. Especially with the amount of D2Cs we’ve been getting across several themes, it’s almost impossible to get everything I want. So I’m happy with SW releasing fewer sets for a while. There’s so much more they need to make but there’s plenty of time to make them